Team Meeting - Part 8 - Becoming Whole - Innocence Remembered

Printer-friendly version
Becoming Whole
Innocence Remembered

A Team Meeting Story
 
by Andrea Lena DiMaggio

Copyright © 2010 Andrea Lena DiMaggio
All Rights Reserved.
 

I still remember the world
From the eyes of a child
Slowly those feelings
Were clouded by what I know now

 


Previously: (This story begins at the conclusion of Team Meeting - Becoming Real)

“Mr. Scialpi. There is no atonement for what you did. Nothing can redeem the loss of your sister; your mother’s only other child. Hopefully this will be an opportunity for Paul Scialpi to be redeemed. It is my fervent prayer that it does. Good luck, son. This court is adjourned.”

The crowd was stunned into silence. Paulie sat down and wept. Rosa walked around the gate and shook Cal Penetente’s hand before sitting down next to her son. She was weeping for joy, since she felt the court was entirely fair and just. Paulie wept because he felt the court was entirely unfair; he deserved to die. He looked into his mother’s eyes and for the first time he saw the resemblance between her and Stefano…no, he said to himself. Steffie. He closed his eyes and saw her face again before he dissolved once more into a sea of tears.


Three Weeks Later at the parsonage of the church:

"Okay, kid. Get your stuff out of the van." The deputy pointed to the back of the van before walking over to the woman with standing by the front porch of the house. Her arms were folded and she seemed impatient.

"He's all yours. His ankle monitor doesn't come off for anything without a court order. I'm supposed to pick up a schedule of his daily routine so we know where he'll be when he's off grounds." The woman looked over at the boy and frowned. She handed the deputy an envelope and walked over to the van where Paulie had just removed his backpack and his duffel.

“Follow me,” she said coldly as she walked to the side of the house. She opened a door leading to a stairwell downstairs. Walking down, she switched on a light and turned.

“This is the former sexton’s apartment. It’s half the basement and you’ll be staying here. I’ve posted your schedule on the door to your bedroom, and we have a copy upstairs on the fridge as well. During the day, when you’re not working or doing school work, you’ll be expected to participate in any of the church activities that we do. Dress around here is work-casual for all church functions, so unless you want to wear a jacket and tie, slacks and a shirt will do.” Her voice was clipped and unemotional, but the look on her face belied her neutral tone. If looks could kill, as they say.

“We have a lady’s luncheon every third Saturday of the month. You obviously won’t participate as an attendee, but you’ll be expected to work in the kitchen or help serve, understand?” She didn’t wait for a reply.

“Every Saturday night we have a Coffee House in town….” Her voice trailed off and she turned away. A moment later she continued.

“As I said, every Saturday we have a Coffee House. You’ll be expected to help set up, serve at the coffee bar, and help clean up. You will have free time after you finish your chores here in the evening if you don’t have any homework or there isn’t an activity.” She pointed to a desk and computer in the far corner by the stairs leading up to the rest of the house.

“Your community service is separate from any family or home function like chores. We all do them, and you’ll be part of that as well. No more than forty hours of service during the week, but like I said, that’s separate from anything going on at home.” She looked at him for some response. He nodded his head briefly and looked around the basement. A pool table was in the middle of a large area to his right, and an entertainment center sat against the wall across from a very large leather couch.

“This isn’t a cave to hide in. Even with your free time, we’ll expect you to interact with the other members of the family. Nancy and I have two daughters, and they’re both your about your age. And we have two other girls who are living here at present with another girl arriving next week” At that she frowned at him, almost as a warning.

“We have devotions right after dinner in the living room. You won’t be required to participate, but you will be required to attend.” For a something as spiritual and familial as devotions, her tone was very severe.

“Lights out at eleven, but you can read in your room if you like. Breakfast is a fluid thing since everybody’s schedule is different. Lunch is the same, but on Sunday we all eat together; no activities scheduled on Sunday other than morning and evening service. You’ll be expected to attend those as well. What you choose to do with the time is your decision.” Her words were almost cold. For someone who was ostensibly the partner of a pastor, she didn’t sound at all enthusiastic about her faith.

“There’s nothing scheduled at all today other than the family routine, so your clock starts tomorrow.” She frowned once again.

“Dinner is at six; tonight’s a freebee for you, so just show up and everything will be just fine.”
She glared at him, and he finally had to say something.

“I’m sorry for having to be here.” He started. She looked at him as if he had cursed.

“I mean…I’m sorry that you have to put up with me. Just tell me one thing. What did I ever do to you to make you so angry at me?”

“I didn’t have much to do with you coming here. The judge called Nan into his chambers since we both were at the trial. She had to agree to the terms in order for you to come here. Let’s just leave it at that. Okay?” She turned to walk up the stairs to the kitchen. Halfway up, she turned again.

“Dinner is at six like I said.” She walked up the stairs. After she closed the cellar door, she leaned against the fridge and began to sob softly, overcome by the memory of what had brought Paulie to their home.


“Hey, Inez, can you help me with something?” Steffie Scialpi struggled to open the door to the back office.

“Sorry, hon, I’m on the phone. Give me a sec, okay?” Inez Rodriguez held her hand over the receiver and shouted out to the girl.

“That’s okay, Mom. I’ve got it.” Trish called out from the outer office. She walked over and opened the door for Steffie. The girl smiled and placed the carton she was carrying on the credenza next to the copier. Trish walked into the office and closed the door. She leaned close to Steffie and kissed her on the cheek, causing the girl to blush.

“Do you know how cute you are?” She asked, causing an even deeper red to spread across her girlfriend’s face.

“Stop. Your mom will be so pissed if she finds out?’ Steffie pulled away and began to pull brochures out of the carton, laying them in neat piles on the table in the middle of the room.

“What she doesn’t know won’t hurt me!” Trish laughed and stepped closer to Steffie while puckering her lips playfully. “Come on, scaredy cat!” She teased.

Steffie stepped back, but her retreat was blocked by a chair left in the gap between the table and the copier. Trish stepped closer once again and kissed her, this time on the lips. The girl blushed but gave into the moment and kissed back; her hand caressing Trish’s cheek softly. A moment later they parted.

“I’ve got to find the rest of these for the mailing. This only looks like half of what we ordered.” Steffie said as she looked around the office for the missing brochures. She stopped for a moment and then looked toward the back door. As Trish went to exit the office, Steffie put her hand on the door leading to the alley way.

“Tell your mom I’ll take care of this and we can talk later, okay.” She opened the door and said,

“I’m going to go get the other boxes of brochures from the car, I’ll be right back.” She smiled and disappeared out into the alley. Trish went up to the front of the café and began pulling out Styrofoam cups from a cabinet and placing them by the three large Coffee urns on the pass-through next to the kitchen.

She was busy for about ten minutes when she heard sirens in the back by the alley. She walked into the office and noticed the door open. Stepping through, she saw a crowd gathered in the middle of the alley. The ambulance was parked and the crowd had opened to let the paramedics through.

“This looks bad, Gabe! “ The one paramedic said to the other as a woman stepped aside, crying softly. Trish stepped closer as the first EMT knelt down and checked the girl lying motionless on the ground. He cradled the girl in his arms and turned her over, revealing the lifeless eyes of Steffie Scialpi. She had the most peaceful look Trish had ever seen. A loud scream broke the pall of the crowd as Inez Rodriguez reached her daughter just in time to catch her as she fainted. Inez looked at Steffie just before the paramedics covered her face; her peace was matched in intensity by the anger that welled up in Inez as she fought back her own tears. She noticed a boy about Trish’s age weeping and shook her head before carrying her daughter back inside.

Where has my heart gone
An uneven trade for the real world
Oh I... I want to go back to
Believing in everything and knowing nothing at all

“Please don’t be mad with me,” Nan Infante pled as she sat down on the hard bench in the back of the courtroom. Just the words “don’t be mad with me” made Inez cringe, wondering what her partner had done.

“The judge asked me to help out, and I figured we’ve got the room, why not?” She cringed herself as Inez eyed her up and down with an inquisitive stare. She was about to explain when the bailiff came in and called the court to order…..

“The remainder of the sentence will be served under the supervision of the Open Arms Community Fellowship. Pastor Nan Infante will be the primary supervisor of the defendant. Mr. Scialpi will reside with Rev. Infante and her partner, Inez Rodriguez, who will also provide supervision for the defendant. Mr. Scialpi will serve the church and any ministry decided upon for no less than forty hours a week, with his primary responsibilities working at the church teen coffee house.”

Without a word, Inez glared at Nan before getting up and walking quickly out of the courtroom.

I still remember the sun
Always warm on my back
Somehow it seems colder now


Later in the Afternoon, the day of Paul's arrival:

“NO!” Trish threw the magazine she was reading and stormed out of the room in tears. Inez turned to Nan, who looked back with a half-smile.

“She’ll be fine, honey.” Nan didn’t even seem to believe it, but continued.

“I want to hope in the power of forgiveness and healing. I really think this is a good thing…I do!” She said, almost trying to convince herself as much as to convince her partner.

“Damn it, Nan…you had no right. She’s not …” Inez was angry, but not stupid enough to finish the sentence. Nevertheless, Nan picked up on Inez’ intent.

“I know she’s not my daughter, but she’s as much a child of mine as Lena,“ Nan said, referring to her own daughter. “You know I love her like my own! That’s not fair, and you know it.”

“Oh, shit, I know. But you had no right to agree to this without talking to us. At least talking to Trish first. For God’s sake, Nan, he killed his own sister. Trish’s girlfriend. Oh fuck.” Inez began to weep at the thought of the last time she saw Steffie.

"He didn't kill his sister, Inez!" Nan said emphatically.

“As far as I'm concerned, he might as well have. That's why he was convicted as an accomplice. If he hadn't helped those two, Steffie would be alive today. She'd be alive, but he wanted to be a big man. I should have been there. She’d be alive today if it weren’t for me.” Inez stood in the middle on the room. She covered her face with her hand and wept. Nan walked quickly to her side and put her hand on Inez’s shoulder. Inez tried to pull away but Nan held her tight. She began to convulse in her partner’s arms as she remembered the innocence of Steffie Scialpi.


Where has my heart gone
Trapped in the eyes of a stranger
Oh I... I want to go back to
Believing in everything

I still remember.


Still later that afternoon:

“Hey mom, where’s Trish?’ Lena walked into the living room and noticed Nan sitting in the corner with her Bible open in her lap.

“She’s in her room and won’t come out.” She frowned and continued.

“She’s upset about Paul Scialpi living here.” Nan shook her head and Lena walked over and sat down opposite to her on the couch.

“Well, do you blame her? What the hell were you thinking?” She shook her head and got up. Pacing back and forth, she kept looking in the direction of Trish’s room.

“What the fuck, mom…hasn’t she had to deal with enough?” She plopped herself down in the recliner catty-corner to her mother and continued.

“And I’ve got to work with this bastard? Who gave you the right to make that decision?”

“No one, honey, and watch the mouth, okay?” It was more of a plea than a rebuke. Nan understood both girls were very upset with her decision.

“The judge asked, and we had the means to help.”

“The means to help? Carly and Gina are doubled up in my old room, and you already said that Kimmie is coming next week? Why do we have to have a boy living with us?” She folded her arms and blew out a breath.

“Just what we need. A ready-made bigot to make us feel crappier than we already do. It’s not right, and you know it. Can’t you just tell the judge we can’t?” She looked out the window trying to keep from getting angrier than she already was.

“I could, but I won’t. You’ve got to know that this is a great opportunity for us.” She half-smiled, hoping her daughter would understand.

“A great opportunity? What the fuck, Mom? We get enough shit from people like him out there…why did you have to bring him here. Fuck mom…it’s not fair…” Lena grabbed her backpack and started to walk out. She stopped and turned around, facing her mother.

“Why…just tell me that. Why?”

“Because I don’t think anyone is beyond redemption. I have to try…for everyone’s sake, sweetie, I have to.”

“If you need me, I’ll be in Trish’s room, okay? Someone has to stick up for her, and obviously it isn’t you.” She walked off and knocked on Trish’s bedroom door. A moment later Trish came to the door and welcomed Lena in without saying a thing; her puffy, tear-stained face appearing as a mask of grief before the door closed with a bang.

Nan turned around to grab her Bible and found that Inez was standing in the doorway. Her face was a near mirror-image of her daughter’s as tears freely flowed from her eyes. She held out her arms and Nan rushed to her side.

“Ho…hold me….I don’t want to hurt like this…I don’t want to hate like this…” She stepped out of the doorway and hugged herself, pleading all the while.

“Nnnnan….I don’t want to hate him….I hate myself…I hate what I’ve become….I hate what I’ve lost….I…eeeiiii…m ...soooo…sooohhhhrry.” She fell back into a chair and buried her face in the wing, weeping. Nan knelt on the floor and grabbed her hands. She kissed Inez and wept, feeling the loss of the child their daughter had loved; and feeling the loss of innocence for everyone. Trish and Lena and both of them…even Paulie…maybe especially Paulie.

“I …. Can’t forgive him….I can’t forgive me….oh God…why….why???” She cried out in a wail of despair.

Behind the bedroom door, the same scene played out as Lena sat on the floor with Trish in her arms, rocking her like a mother would a small child, all the while kissing her hair and cooing softly.

“It’s okay honey, let it out. I miss her too…I mmmisss her tooo.”

Never one to be emotional, Lena wept more than she had ever in her life. If Steffie had been Trish’s girlfriend, how much more had Steffie been like Lena’s other sister. The go-to-girl when she was confused or scared and didn’t want to talk to her mom. The girl she confessed to about her miscarriage…that no one else would ever know about. Her best friend. When Steffie died, she hadn’t just lost a sister or a friend; she had lost part of herself.


Where has my heart gone
An uneven trade for the real world
Oh I... I want to go back to
Believing in everything and knowing nothing at all

I still remember the sun
Always warm on my back
Somehow it seems colder now

Where has my heart gone
Trapped in the eyes of a stranger
Oh I... I want to go back to
Believing in everything

Next: Innocence Restored

Based in part on Acts 9:1-14


Field of Innocence
As Performed by Evanescence
From the Album Origin
Words and Music by
Amy Lee, Ben Moody, and David Hodges
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7uZcexsPuw

up
44 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

struggling to forgive

I am almost glad to see that they are struggling to forgive him. Its no easy task, and its more realistic that they are going to need time to heal. Very nice chapter.

DogSig.png

Forgive or forget ?

ALISON

Nursing Sister Vivian Bullwinkle,the sole survivor of a group of nurses massacred by Japanese
soldiers during WW 2 said it all------"you can forgive,but you can't forget". One can only hope that
they can purge themselves of their hate and to help Paulie to live with himself.

ALISON

agape is a bitch sometimes

laika's picture

It's one thing to love those individuals that are easy to love, bouyed along on a tide of wonderful feelings that tell you this is right.
But giving someone a chance who doesn't deserve it, who repulses you, because something tells you there's a chance for them;
that's putting your money where your scripture-quoting mouth is; where love is manifested in actions more than in feelings...
Which doesn't even make sense without an element of faith, and not some blind Pollyanna certainty that God will keep
everything rosy and we should all open our homes to every psychotic killer who comes along, but that in this case
the remorse Paul showed is genuine and that people can change. I admire Nan for being consistent in her beliefs,
the philosophy she subscribes to. And I think Paulie will wind up floored by this chance he doesn't deserve but
has been given anyway (grace?), will be profoundly humbled & moved and vastly changed for the better by it.
Of course it helps that this is just a story, and that I know the author and her beliefs; and that she
probably won't end this by having them all axe-murdered by this criminal they've taken in.
(Be kinda funny if she did, because it'd sure make me look like a pontificating idjit...)
~~~hugs, Veronica

Put your money where your faith is...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Easy to say, hard to do when every body's faith is being tested.

I want to go back to believing in everything and knowing nothing at all!

If only it was that easy! Belief is always tested by knowledge, and though they say that faith is belief in spite of knowledge, it's a very difficult thing.

Here's a whole household of people who's faith is being tested, and one, Paulie, who's faith has been lost, if he ever had it.

This is rock bottom, I hope, with nowhere to go but up.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!