The Encounter

Printer-friendly version


The Encounter

by Philippa Jane Kingsley
 © 2010, all rights reserved.

Philip Prince stood nervously in the checkout line at Payless Shoesource, a closed box of red patent pleather 4" heeled pumps in his hand, his bags from the department store across the street in his other hand.

The woman in line in front of him disgorged her purchases to the cashier, who proceeded to remove the three pairs of shoes from the boxes as she rang them up, placing them in a shopping bag as she went. "You don't want the boxes, do you?"

"No," said the woman, as the cashier tore the boxes to flatten them and threw them on the waste bin with all the rest.

"That'll be $42.97, dear," she said, taking cash from the customer and giving her the bag, her receipt and her change in one motion. "Good morning, Dear," she continued to Philip, taking the box from his hand. "Did you find everything you needed?"

This is the part that Philip dreaded. He didn't like to lie, but he doesn't like to admit that what he's buying is for him. Bored indifference, well-practiced, was his only solution. "I'd like them in the box, please."

The cashier slowed down a beat, it seemed to Philip, despite the three women in line behind him (two on cellphones, of course), taking a moment to size him up. He could swear the corner of her mouth curled up in a repressed smile. "We have a sale on stockings this week, very good prices."

"No, thank you. That will be all, please."

To further show he wasn't intimidated, or trying to hide anything, he paid with his credit card, as he usually did, figuring maybe the cashier will think he was just shopping for his wife or a girlfriend. The transaction completed, he put away the signed credit slip, his card, and gathered up his bags. Letting out a breath he didn't know he was holding, he headed briskly for the door, and escape from the discomfort of being sized up.

The fresh air of the bright spring morning greeted him as he stepped out on the sidewalk, and turned to walk back to his car, only to be knocked flat on his back by a collision with a tall, nicely-dressed woman several years his junior.

"Oh, my God! I am SO sorry! Are you okay?," she said, putting away her iPhone. "Oh, dear! Let me help you up!"

Phil lay stunned, sprawled on the sidewalk, taking a brief physical inventory of his various limbs, butt, and head, trying to catch his breath, this beautiful young woman bending down to help him.

"Wait, wait... Just give me a sec. I think I'm okay," he said, raising himself to a sitting position.
He turned over his right palm and looked at it, a little scraped and dirty, and at two of his otherwise manicured nails, chipped. He looked up, only to realize with horror that his morning's purchases were scattered all over the sidewalk. The red pumps, out of the box. The new bra and panty set, and three pairs of thigh-high stockings, strewn about. The bag with the skirt, open, with the contents clearly visible.

The young woman was focussed on him, though, anxious to help him off the ground. Nothing for it but to let her, he realized. A bit unsteadily, with her help, he regained his feet. "I'm fine, really. I'm so sorry. I should have watched where I was going. I'm glad you weren't hurt. I'm completely to blame," he said, trying to reassure her.

"No, it's my fault. I shouldn't have been hurrying and trying to reply to my email at the same time. Are you okay?" He nodded. "Just stand here, I'll pick up your packages, okay?"

She quickly reboxed the shoes and put them back in their bag, scooped up the lingerie and stockings and put them back in theirs, and retrieved the skirt and its bag, tucking the contents back in.

"Come on," she said, holding his bags. "Let me buy you a cup of coffee. You can sit a bit and get your bearings and make sure you're okay. Okay?" With a free hand, she took his arm and gently guided him towards the luncheonette a few doors along.

"Thank you, but please, my treat. I really appreciate you stopping to help." He smiled, and opened the door for her.

"Hi, Dears! Sit anywhere," hollered the waitress as she headed to the pickup window to pick up an order. "I'll be with you in a sec."

They slipped into a booth about half way back from the windows. "I pass by here all the time, but I've never been in here," said a mostly-recovered Philip. "Have you?"

"A few times. It's not bad. Their coffee is drinkable, and their desserts are pretty good. Their cherry cheesecake is actually very good. Would you split a piece with me?"

"Sure," he replied, as the waitress arrived to take their order.

Philip slipped out of the booth. "Let me get a little cleaned up. I'll be right back," he said, and headed for the men's room, where he washed his hands, splashed a little water on his face, and dealt with his messed-up hair, pulling out the ponytail tie, combing and retying it.

"You look a lot better," she said on his return. "By the way, my name is Beth."

"Hello, Beth. I'm Phil," he said, returning her warm smile.

"You know, I love Payless. That's one of the few stores I can find a bunch of shoes in my size. And their sales are great. You ever take advantage of their buy one, get one deals?"

Her unreserved enthusiasm was disorienting Phil. She was just treating him as a fellow shopper, not a guy who was buying women's clothes and shoes, nor even questioning why.

He started chuckling. "Okay. I figure I'm busted. I don't feel like making up any lame excuses. What would you like to know?"

Her eyes lit up, and she broke into a smile. "Really? You mean these things really are for you? I mean, I thought they might be, but I didn't want to assume," she said softly, leaning closer, chin resting on her hand, her elbow on the table. Her smile was really gorgeous, he noted.

"I have some pictures," he said, pulling his wallet out of his back pocket. "Would you like to see?," he asked, as the coffee and cheesecake arrived, along with an extra plate.

"Oh, yes!," she said, after the waitress had retreated, taking the pictures from his hand, and shielding them from the view of anyone else. If anything, her smile got bigger.

"I love this dress," she said, showing him the full-length picture of him in a magenta silk wrap dress. "The color really suits you. You're really beautiful in it. How long have you been, you know, dressing up like a woman?"

The two sat, sipping coffee, Phil telling Beth of his early crossdressing experiences, and Beth confessing her early desires to crossdress her boyfriends, who were never interested. Phil was shocked, not so much at the revelation, but that she was revealing it to him.

"When I was 14, I could hardly think of anything else. I thought it would be so hot." She looked at Phil, who was trying to digest this. "Do you ever go out?"

"Not as often as I'd like. Maybe once or twice a month. And, mostly just to hang out at a lesbian bar where they just treat me like a friend. They know I'm not there to try to pick anyone up, just a safe place to be."

"You seem pretty friendly. I can see how you'd get along with most people," she said, a hint of something new creeping into her expression. "Do you just go by yourself, or do you have anyone to go out with?"

"A couple of times, but mostly it's just me." She smiled that enigmatic smile again.

"Let me walk you back to your car," she said after he left the tab and a tip on the table.

"Thanks," he said, taking two of his packages, she somehow carrying the bag with the lingerie for him. They walked the two blocks to his car, she holding his arm as before, but this time he leading her. "I've taken a huge chunk of your morning. Can I drop you anywhere?"

"Oh, would you? I was just heading home. It's only about half a mile from here."

Arriving at her building, she pointed across the street to an empty parking space. "Could I ask you a favor? Would you come up for a minute?"

"Sure," he said, maneuvering smoothly into the space and stopping the car. "What do you need?"

"I need to see you in these," she said, holding up the bag she carried from the diner.

up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Serendipity

joannebarbarella's picture

Yes please!

Joanne

Just one think...

Andrea Lena's picture

....Absolutely friggin' fantastic (Fiction, Yes!!!).... More, please... Thank you.


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Dio benedica la mia bella amici, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank You

Thank you, Drea, for your many and ongoing encouragements.

A huge vote of thanks goes to OtteryLexa for taking an active role as my muse and taskmaster last evening and pushing me, line by line, to follow through to the end, even if I was nearly dead at 4 am. Thanks, too, to Melanie_t, who pulled out her sharp whip and got in a few lashes herself.

I couldn't have done it without you, Girls! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Yay! You did it.

Yay! You did it. Glad I could help. Even if I was up far far too late.

Full of Possibility.

Cute, fun, and full of possibility, Pippa.

Sarah Lynn

Encore!

Well, erring on the side of paranoia, Beth seems very nice and unassuming. So, just to make sure...

Nothing can go wrong! ^_^

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

to satisfy greed

so when do we get to read "close encounter" ?

Good Question

I'm not sure what I might write next, or when. At the moment, I'm kind of happy with the enigmatic tease of an ending. I'll think about it, though.

Good Ending

laika's picture

A sweet little slice-of-life encounter, not too far removed from your excellent essays/anecdotes, Pippa. You see?
Fiction, nothing to it! As writers we're all geared to different forms, and maybe fiction will never your main focus.
(Like me and poetry, which I'm not too bad at but I'm not inspired to write verse as often as I am stories.) So when I
say "more" I don't necessarily mean a continuation of THIS story but anything you might be moved to write. While some
readers have no patience for them, wanting simply to be told "what happens next" without having to wonder or think about it,
enigmatic endings can be quite artful in the hands of someone with a flair for it---like say Kristina LS---and I hope you will
stay true to your own sense of what works, even though it's hard to turn down your friends, and it's flattering that they
love it enough to want THE ENCOUNTER PART 27 ....... Although you may be zapped with an idea for the perfect
continuation for this, just knowing it's right, this usually happens right around bedtime + you find yourself
scribbling until dawn instead of going to bed like you'd planned. Welcome new author!
~~~hugs, Veronica

More please?

Pretty please Pippa?

Hugs!

Grover

Now this I like

Not a word wasted; no unwanted detail; just a simple accident, the kind that happens every day, but leading to magnetic attraction and a meeting of minds.

Great stuff.

Susie

Very nicely done, Pippa.

I've told you before that reading one of your stories is like having it told to me by a dear, trusted friend. This one is no exception. I like it.
P.S. I know where those red heels ended up, and I STILL love them.

Your friend,
Cathy

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

The Encounter

Pippa, I for one believe that this story happens more often thn people think,

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The perils of misreading...

I initially read the protagonist's name as Prince Philip...

Hmmm...

Now that would be a TG story and a half!
("One does not discuss one's husband's attire.")

-oOo-

As for the story itself, a very well written little vignette. While not exactly love at first sight, they're certainly compatible and have the potential to become great friends - maybe platonic, maybe something more over time...
 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

THE ENCOUNTER

PRINCESS,,, YOUR A TEASE... YOU GIVE A LICK OS THE SPOON FROM FROSTING THE CAKE TO A HUNGRY CHILD and THEN,,, TA-DAA ... YOU SHOW THE COMPLETE CHOCLATE FROSTED, DEVILS FOOD CAKE ... EAT YOUR VEGGIES AT SUPPER and YOU MAY HAVE A BIG PIECE ... NOW GO WASH UP ... THAT IS YOU WITH THIS WONDERFUL STORY,,, LEAVE ME STARVING & DROOLING FOR MORE and I HAVE TO WASH UP and EAT MY VEGGIES,,, ON THE PROMISE OF MORE OF YOURTALENT AT WEITEING,,, VIA PART 2 OF THIS INTRIGUING STORY ...

LOVE YOUR STORIES and ALL OF YOU ... THANKS FOR THIS WONDERFUL GIFT >>>

I Told You So

terrynaut's picture

See! I told you so. I told you before that you could write.

I really like this little slice of life. The end is a great teaser. I wouldn't add anything to it, but don't let that excuse you from writing another, completely different story.

Thanks!

- Terry

And she IS....

... a writer! Congrats, Pippa, and please let us see more. You might inspire others, even, and help those of us who are blocked *blushes* to move forward....

Loved it. :)

Pippa, I think it would have

Pippa,
I think it would have been rather funny if the woman who hit Prince Phillip would have been named Camilla. But then, I guess that would have gotten you in trouble with the Crown eh? A nice, cute story tho. Hugs, Jan

PIPPA K,

ALISON

'just delightful.A neat,natural story,telling it like it was---yes!

ALISON

HooRay for Payless!

Jezzi Stewart's picture

Good shoes at affordable prices. They have my size, 13W and although most of the stores don't keep that size, you can order the shoes online and have them delivered to your closest store for free. When I've been in any one of the Payless stores trying on shoes, even when drab, I have never had anything but the most courteous behavior from staff. If you're in Chicago, the two stores on State street in the Loop DO keep some 13W in stock, and almost any of the stores have up to 12W in stock. I actually have the shoes pictured above. They were $19.95, replaced a similar pair that had cost $90.00, and were more comfortable.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Really Quite Lovely, But...

I would have called it something else. "The Encounter" sounds too full of conflict, of a masculine, warring meeting between two entities. This is so different from that. It really is a charming little story. Is it a one off or will it continue? I am sure I am not alone in hoping for it to continue.

Briar

Briar

A Lovely Title!

I didn't fret too much over the title. I just grabbed the first thing that came to me, to be honest. But, the more I think about it, the more I like it! And, maybe it was pure, dumb luck, but as I look up the word, pursuant to your challenge, I find even more reasons to like it.

You should check the definition of Encounter (n.) in your dictionary. As a noun, it basically just means "meeting," and can take on the nuance of either an assembly or a convergence.

A quick hit count on Google of three specific word pairs shows the following:

"violent encounter": 47,300
"romantic encounter": 51,400
"chance encounter": 588,000

In Roget's Thesaurus, it shows up on the entry for "collision". How appropriate!

As a reader, I'm a big fan of short stories that have ambiguous titles that take on more meaning after you've read the story than before. At the risk of jinxing myself forever more, I'd like to hesitantly suggest that perhaps I've achieved that with this, my first short story?

More please!

I love this story! Please, please continue it!

GeenaGurl in MA

GeenaGurl in MA

As promised

bobbie-c's picture

Well, I've read it, as promised. And it's a wonderful vignette.

Back then, I never really wanted to dress in public. Dressing at home was enough for me, 'coz even if I did dress in public, it wouldn't have been real, and I was so desperate for it to be real. So I didn't dress until my RLT, and, of course, after. But that's just me.

I know how it is for you, and hopefully there will be many more Beths out there for you to meet.

And, that pic you have? I have a Nine West pair that looks like that, with a three and a half-inch heel. You know me and high heels. (lol) Found it in one of my favorite shoe stores. It's called "Hu's Shoes." No kidding.

bobbysig-blue.png
http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/blog/bobbie-c
http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/book/14775/roberta-j-cabot

very nice

once again, Random Solos comes through with a good story.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Random solo offers some

Random solo offers some superb things you won't find otherwise, like this Pippa's story. Or any another her story by the way too while she has no author page