Bedtime Story - 2

Printer-friendly version

A Bedtime Story - 2

By: Annette MacGregor

This is a continuation of Bedtime Story Several people asked for more, but that's not why this was written. The little bit there got me thinking. And, I figured I might try putting together a more complete story, that explains how that story came to be. This is the beginning of that effort. Some parts will be light and happy, but I fear some will be darker. I hope you enjoy.


"Anne, do you think that story was a good idea?"

"It's all I could think of on short notice. Besides, she'll forget it by morning."

"I don't know, Anne. She's a lot like you were when you were little."

"Really?"

Lisa nodded.

"I wish I remembered it more."

*******

I clopped around looking for mommy. Maybe, she's doing laundry.

You could hear mommy's high heels clopping as I walked toward across the wooden floor toward the basement door. Suddenly, I heard a sharp "Danny!"

Turning, I saw it was my big sister . "Lisa, I'm pretty like mommy." I said, beaming in my pleasure, and didn't notice her strange look.

"I think we'd best get you out of those now–before mommy comes back in."

"Where's mommy?"

"She's out in the garden. Now, let's get that off of you."

While she was pulling the slip over my head, I asked, "Why can't I show mommy that I can be pretty too?"

"She doesn't like us to play with her things."

My face fell, I'd forgotten. I didn't know how I was going to show mommy now.

"Now, where did you find these?"

"The dress was in her basket."

Lisa smiled, "It's not a dress, Danny, it's her slip. She wears it under some dresses." She picked up the shoes, and reached out for my hand, "Come along, and show me where the shoes were."

I took my sisters hand, and we went back into mommy and daddy's room. "There," I pointed at the foot of the bed, and Lisa put the shoes there, and then dropped the slip on top of our parent's laundry.

"Now, let's go have a little talk, okay?"

Going with sissy was fun. She had neat stuff in her room.

******

What will I say to Danny? Mom and dad are nice, but they won't let him play like this much longer. I've heard them talking.

I stopped, as I felt Danny tug at my arm. "What's up?"

"Can I hold Cindy?"

I looked at the doll he was referring to. She wasn't very practical, with her porcelain head. "Wouldn't you rather hold Sally?" I could see him thinking it over. So, rather than have him insist on Cindy, I reached over, and picked up Sally. "Here you go, Danny. You'll be really careful with Sally, won't you?"

I saw a smile light up his face.

"Yes, Sissy."

"I knew you would, now come on over and let's talk." I lead him to the rug at the foot of my bed, and sat on the floor with him. It was a little surprising to me, how carefully he was holding Sally. He was being so careful, with her shoulders and head in one arm, and her body in his lap. I shook my head. It really was too bad he was a boy. I think it would have been nice having a little sister.

"I think Sally's sleeping, Sissy. See, her eyes closed."

"Yes, I do believe you're right." Smiling, "Now, I wanted to talk to you about wearing mommy's cloths. You know how you're not supposed to take things without asking, don't you?

"Yes, Sissy. But, I wanted…"

"I know, Danny. And, you were being careful." Then I recalled how angry dad had gotten when the remote control had gotten broken because someone had left it on the floor and he'd stepped on it. "Remember last month, when dad got so angry after breaking the controller for the TV?"

"Yes, he was loud." Danny looked around, then in a quiet voice, "he said some bad words too, sissy."

"Yes, he did. But, do you remember what we talked about, after he cooled off?"

"Not to leave stuff where they can be stepped on." Danny mumbled.

"Right, one of us, maybe even daddy, left the controller on the floor or on the table where he was knocked to the floor. It was an accident that it was hurt. Nobody hurt it on purpose. It's like that with mommy's things. I know how careful you are, but what would happen if you tripped? Might something get hurt?"

It was cute how Danny scrunched his brows together as he thought. After a little bit, "It might rip." came his quiet voice.

"Yes, or something else happen." Then, I had an idea. Maybe this will let him get past this need to be a little mommy. "How about when we're home alone, I'll let you wear some of my pretty things, and you can take care of Sally."

I was surprised at how much his little eyes lit up at that. It made me feel bad to make sure he didn't play without me though. "Now, let's have this just be special time together. We don't want to bother mom or dad with it. Right?"

He got very solemn then, "No, Sissy. Not want to make mommy or daddy angry."

I figured I'd gotten about as much as I could, and maybe kept him out of trouble with the parents a while. "Is Sally still asleep?"

He looked down, "Yes, she's still sleeping." he replied.

"Then, we'd best put her to bed, don't you think?"

He nodded, "She needs a nap."

"Okay, let me take her, while you get up. Then, I'll let you tuck her into bed."

He was so careful tucking Sally into my bed. I'll have to find an excuse to bring my old cradle down from the attic.

*********
"It was really like that, Lisa? Oh, how I wish I remembered."

"Yes, and over the next year and a half, you played with Sally a lot when mom and dad were away, and I was alone with you. You were also very careful to not get into mom's stuff again."

Lisa had a thoughtful expression on her face. "That all makes sense, and I wish I'd thought to talk to you about it before." She sighed. "Not remembering my childhood did cause issues for me."



I hope this is a worthy continuation (and a pleasant surprise for one or two of you). Is there more? Probably, but don't expect it any time soon. The next bit is much darker, I think. My intent is to make these a "chain" of stories, where each is complete and can (almost) stand on it's own (If I don't make it - tell me.) Comments or sugestions welcome.

up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bedtime story 2

Nice to see this continue. Perhaps I should have waited a few hours and read it just before bed. Isn't Lisa wonderful?!

I look forward to more

Karen

So sweet !

ALISON

This is such a sweet story you should continue it one day.Many thanks for the
joy that you give to me.

ALISON

This story surely does

This story surely does deserve to be continued.

It's a very sweet story so far. I do wonder though why Lisa can't remember her childhood. Maybe something happened to her?

Hugs,
Andrea

forgetting the past

I think i can see why she would have forgotten - probably suffered from being "girly" by her father and/or mother. The only good thing is obviously she recovered enough to seek out her true self as an adult, and the acceptance of Lisa is probably a big part of that.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

No.. That's NOT it.

The next bit IS written, but my editor thinks it needs something more and I've not had time to go back and figure out what.

Anne

I can't wait to read what

I can't wait to read what will happen next.

A great continuation

of A Bedtime Story

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sisters

RobertaME's picture

I know that it's been over a decade since this story was written, but I just found it and it brought me nearly to tears.

From age 4 to 6, my older sister and I would play girl games like dollhouse, dress-up, and other things. She fully accepted me as her little sister back then. Things changed after that and I couldn't play with her anymore for a long time, but this story brought those happy feelings of just being able to be a little girl back to me like it was yesterday. It was wonderful! Thank you so much! :,)