Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 920.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 920
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I took our little sexpot, dressed in her finest, into the town centre dropping her not five minutes walk from the main cinema–although in her shoes with the four inch heels, that might mean something a little longer than five minutes–but she wouldn’t be told. I appreciate that she wants to impress her friends, but her outfit with a pair of ballet pumps would have wowed them. I did strongly suggest she took some flatties with her in case her feet hurt, but she insisted she was comfortable.

“Make sure you have your mobile with you,” I told her as we left the house with much cheering and whistling from her crowd of supporters–we now have Trish wolf-whistling with the two boys–Livvie still can’t seem to do it very well.

“Oh stop worrying, Mummy, I’ll be fine.”

“Have you got your brolly?” I enquired as there was rain about.

“Yes, Mummy, my folding one, in my bag.”

“And your sweeties?”

“Yes,” she sighed.

“Because you know how expensive they are in the cinema?”

“Yes, Mummy, I know,” accompanied by a longer sigh.

“Don’t talk to any strange boys.”

“I’m sixteen, Mummy, for God’s sake.”

“Yes, but you haven’t had sixteen years of dealing with boys–as a girl, I mean.”

“Like you’re so experienced,” she muttered under her breath.

“More so than you are, Missy.” I huffed and said, “I’ve had a few admirers in my time.” Which was true, Kevin the mechanic, Des, and Simon.

“Sorry, Mummy.” She blushed, visible even in the restricted light of the car as we travelled towards town.

“Let me know when you’re on your way home, and here’s the taxi money.” I gave her ten pounds.

“Thanks, Mummy, I’ll be alright, you know that?”

“In terms of probabilities–yes, in terms of your track record–no. I want to see you make it to womanhood, Julie and hopefully settled in a career and maybe a relationship. I want all my children to be successful and contented.”

“You worry too much.”

“That’s the prerogative of mothers. Have a good time.”

“Thanks, Mummy, I will,” she pecked me on the cheek and I watched her totter off on her stilts towards the cinema.

I felt quite wistful as I drove home. The kid had got under my skin. Despite her being a lazy good for nothing, she had transformed into something useful, becoming reliable and also lovable. She was a pleasant enough kid, and her bond as the big sister with the others was coming along nicely. All of them seemed to have a special regard for her and I know Stella was becoming increasingly fond of her–they had long chats if I was out of the house. That sounds as if they were doing it to avoid me, but Stella was trying to be supportive of her–knowing what a troubled recent history Julie’d had.

I went home and by then it was time to get the girls to bed and read them their story–more Secret Seven intrigues which I’d loved as a kid and enjoyed sharing with them. Okay, as an adult, the plots are so unrealistic–but for five and six year olds–absolutely spot on.

Maybe I’ll try the boys with Just William or Jennings, but I’m not sure I want them describing everything as spiffing, it would probably mean they’d get their heads beaten in, in school. Kids language has to be kewl, or else.

After I got the boys to bed, I sat and nervously drank a cup of tea with Stella, who complained about my constantly looking at my watch.

“If you were that worried, how come you didn’t offer to collect her?”

“I’d meant to do some work while she was out.”

“So why don’t you?”

“I can’t settle.”

“Cathy, it’s not as if she was on an undercover mission for Interpol.”

“I know–but since I’ve been looking after her, this is her first time out as a girl.”

“Hopefully the first of many,” Stella enthused.

“Oh don’t, I’m not sure I can bear it.”

“Don’t be so silly–she is sixteen and increasingly sensible. She’s beginning to think like a girl and has lost some of that male arrogance she had. She’ll be okay.”

“I hope so.”

“She’s going to be with two other girls, so she should be fine–they’ll look out for her.”

“I do hope so.” I glanced at my watch again, it was now ten thirty. “She should be home by now–the film finished at quarter past.”

“Cathy–get real. Even if it finished on time, she’s going to be chattering away with her friends for ages yet, then she has to get a taxi. She could be an hour or so yet.”

“I should have arranged to fetch her.”

“Don’t be silly–she’ll be fine. What’s that noise–your phone?”

I went to the lounge where I’d left my handbag, my mobile was trilling. It was Simon and I relived all my fears with him. He was quite supportive and told me not to worry. We were discussing the project I was doing for the bank, when the ordinary phone rang. Stella answered it and came in to the lounge.

“Sorry to interrupt, Cathy, can you go and collect her–she’s had an accident.”

“Gotta go, darling, talk later,” I said to Simon, “What’s happened, does she need an ambulance?”

“No, she’s at the cinema, apparently and she isn’t badly hurt.”

“I knew it–I bloody knew it,” I said loudly while gathering my coat, bag and car keys. I was out on the road and flying towards Portsmouth town centre faster than ever–I literally had to talk myself into slowing down before I had an accident. I should have arranged to collect her–I mentally kicked myself.

I parked as close as I could go and ran towards the cinema. One of the girls was looking out for me. “Where is she?” I asked panting after the run.

I was led to her in the foyer, she was sitting in a chair with her foot raised. “Hi, Mummy. Sorry about this.”

“What happened?”

“I–um–twisted my ankle.” She looked very sheepish.

“Those stupid shoes,” I growled at her.

“Um–not entirely, I caught my foot on a grating outside and twisted it as I fell–I think I’ve sprained it.”

“How are we going to get you to the car? It’s at least a hundred yards away.”

“I’ll have to manage, won’t I, unless you can do some of your magic on it.” She looked like a cross between pathetic and hopeless. I simply glared back at her.

“I’m sure we’ll manage to help you to the car, and I’ll take the girls home afterwards. Come on, up you get.”

One of the girls carried her handbag, the second supported her other side, while I helped the injured side. It took us some while, resting every few steps as she effectively hopped back to the car.

Once we delivered the girls back to their street, they lived next door to each other and round the corner from Julie’s old house, I managed to keep my calm about the shoes–although there was a large part of me who wanted to say, ‘I told you so’. Instead I told her off for mentioning the healing in front of outsiders. She burst into tears and I felt very guilty but also justified.

I healed on her ankle when we parked the car at home and she limped into the house. I sent her to bed with an ice pack but also healed her remotely while she slept–I needed her well, as I was working the next day doing the banks in Portsmouth.

The following day, armed with my trusty thermometer, I recorded quite high temperatures in four more branches, and had one more to do. I introduced myself and was shown about by the branch manager and offered afternoon tea. I wished later that I’d not accepted his offer, except my mouth was a dry as an Axminster carpet.

We were parting in the main public area of the bank when two men walked in and another stood by the door. There was a small queue at the tellers, so it could be nothing much, until I looked at the men again and said to the manager–“Is that man wearing a mask?”

By the time, the manager had looked, they were at the windows and all three of the men produced sawn-off shotguns. I couldn’t believe it–I was witnessing a bank robbery. I placed my briefcase on the floor and raised my hands as instructed by the men who were now acting very nervously and waving their guns. My bladder began to wish I hadn’t had that extra cup of tea.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Queen of the Cliffhanger

You really are Queen of the Cliffhanger. But I love every minute of it.

Shadowrider

Knowing Cathy...

One or more of the robbers will do something stupid in their nervousness, hurt themselves, and end up having to be healed by Cathy.

Meanwhile, Stella emerges from her cocoon and has apparently been chatting to Julie most days, while Julie learns about the disadvantages of high heels - the hard way!

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Bike pt 920

Bet that George will get security a revamp, now!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Absolutely Top Hole…

…Topping or even Spiffing! All those words remind me of my childhood reading, mostly Mummy's old Chalet School or Malory Towers school stories or even the Famous Five. I also adored all the Swallows and Amazons books, and of course I read Just William; we enjoy listening to Martin Jarvis reading them, and wonder how he manages to get his voice into just the right register for 'Violent Elizabeth'—as my daughter used to insisn on calling her, :-)

Another trimmensely enjoyable chapter, Ang, I somehow guessed that something near catastrophic would happen, and am relieved that nothing worse than a sprained ankle happened to "the young sex-pot". But a bank robbery—wow, and Cathy doesn't have her trusty bow and arrow.

Love
H.

Ruh Roh

NoraAdrienne's picture

I wonder if Cathy can remotely cause the 3 bank robbers to keel over in a faint. Staying that way till the bobbies appear to haul them away.

Nice idea

But so far her gift has only done good. Even causing a bank robber "bad health" would polute the power IMHO. I'm just hoping Cathy doesn't get shot. Shotguns at close range cause injuries that are hard to recover from. Of course cut throats do too.

Sadly I think I know why she is there

... and that is to heal someone who is going to get shot by itchy and twitchy. Just what she needs, another public healing. Hopefully she can sneak it in.

Kim

I am beginning to see a pattern here

Cathy is a victem of her own power, its a power exchange and she draws these calamities to her.
Cathy rides again!

Oh No!!!

Oh God! Where's this one going. There's just so many scenarios.
Hope Cathy doesn't get shot or taken hostage.
Just remain calm girl and keep as low a profile as possible. No eye contact, no heroics, no electing yourself as some sort of arbitrator. Just keep shtum and still.
Take care now Cathy.
Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Well...

It has truly dropped in the pot for Cathy this time. I wonder just how much mayhem she will wreak upon the poor defenseless robbers?

Well, wrong bank to rob on the wrong day with the wrong lady in the office. I almost feel sorry for em.

Battery.jpg

I wondered

how many days would pass before Cathy ended up in another crisis.

Susie

I told you all she would do that!

And look how sneaky she was, planting poor JULIE with her ankle in between to mislead us all with a false signal.

Trouble is, she or should I write SHE, meaning the Goddess Angharad, is just too good at it.

Do you all realise, only 80 more episodes and that means less than 3 months to ONE THOUSAND. This has never, ever been done before.

Briar

Briar

It would be quite fun to see

It would be quite fun to see Cathy's special powers not only do healing, but she can 'aim' them at the bad guys and knock them out. If that did ever happen, she would definitely have to get a supersuit to wear when she was out and about. I just hope Cathy doesn't have to heal herself or the bank manager, as her secret will definitely be out then. Jan

Wonder if.....

the blue light was behind the afternoon tea.....So that when one of the robbers or customers gets shot(Nervous men + Guns = bad mix) Help is at hand?

Kirri

since Lady Catherine has a

knack for getting in the news I have to wonder if she's going to foil the robbery in some way.

The bank robbers...

...should be afraid. Very, very afraid.

...the men who were now acting very nervously and waving their guns.

Oh, they're going to wish they never heard of High Street Bank plc., let alone thought of robbing it.

I can't wait to see how “Super-Cathy” manages to foil the attempt and sticks it to this shower.

There’s never a dull moment in this epic saga. Thank you Angaharad and Bonzi for keeping things fresh and exciting.

Precipitate Stealing


Bike Archive

Naw

Cathy's kids are at home. Those guys are safe. I suspect there will be need of her special services though.

Tea does not really relieve thirst

especially if it is caffeinated. I will never drink tea just before doing any long distance driving as I had to stop and do the woods thing.

Oh boy, hope Cathy has a stronger bladder than I do.

Kim

Well, the Brits

Don't know any better. ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive