Second Chance

Printer-friendly version

Second Chance
By Connie Alexander

Author's Note: This is my first story and I've felt the need to tell it for some time. Although based in fact, I've changed the names and given it an ending that is more hopeful. At least I hope so. All comments are welcome.

It looked like spring was finally here. The cherry blossoms were beginning to bud and the birds were frantically searching for nest making materials. Just a couple more months until school ends and then the start of making my dreams a reality.

Mom said that she'll teach me all about makeup now that the Doctor has started me on blockers and …

FAGGOT!! PERVERT!!!

"..Wha…?"

**Darkness**

Oh god …… I hurt. My head…

W-why can't I see anything? Oh yea…need to open my eyes. Head hurts too much. What happened? Did I fall? Must have landed in a puddle, I'm all wet….Oh jeez I hurt! W-why? What's wrong with me? Momma! Momma it hurts, make the hurt go away…..

**Darkness**

"Mark? Mark, can you hear me? You have to open your eyes. Come on Mark you can do it."

Who? Wha.? I didn't know where I was. Cracking my eyes, all I saw was bright painful light.

"Good boy! Stay with me now. We've got you. Just hold on, we'll be at the hospital soon."

All I could think of was the crushing weight on my chest, being really really cold and the need for sleep.

"Tell dispatch he's in tachycardia and his volume is dropping fast!"

"Hang in there Mark…..Mark?"

**Darkness**

The pain isn't so bad now. I'm so tired. Where….?

"Mark? Mark, squeeze my hand. You can do it……come on Mark, squeeze my hand."

Hmmm? Maybe….

"Good boy!"

"Where am I?" I croak.

Oh the pain is coming back and it's so hard to ….. what?

"Your in the hospital Mark. Come on, just stay with us. Hold on."

"Mark, Mark tell us who did this to you. Mark?

Why do they keep calling me Mark? "Its Megan" I whisper.

"Mark? What was that Mark?"

"He's crashing! Get the cart in here!"

**Darkness**

…In today's news, a young boy was viciously attacked by persons unknown as he was walking home from school. More at 11:00…..

Who's crying?

"Wha…" I barely whisper.

"Honey! It's mommy sweetheart. Mommy's here." She cries.

"Mamma, why are you crying?", I ask.

"Shsh…Don't you worry honey. I'm fine." She said. "How are you feeling?"

"Don't know. Weak, tired, hurt."

"Ok baby. Just rest sweetheart. Momma's here. Momma's here…….."

**Darkness**

…More on that story of the young man who was attacked yesterday. Police are investigating this as a hate crime. Although the police have no official comment at this time, sources close to the investigation tell us that there appear to be multiple witnesses that say that the attackers were yelling "homo", "faggot" and other expletives as they were beating the boy. The police have stated that they hope to make arrests soon. Meanwhile, the young boy remains in critical condition. We will continue to update you as this story develops…..

I don't want to go back. Nothing feels right. I'm not right. Momma needs me though, and I need her.

Where's momma? Oh, there she is. Is this a dream? It must be. She's sitting next to me as I sleep. What a strange dream. Everything but momma and me is all blurry. What's she saying?

"Oh my sweet baby." She cried, " I'm so sorry this happened to you. You haven't had an easy life have you baby? Nothing has been easy, but we've always had each other and we've always made our way thru the tough times. But sweetie, the doctors tell me that you are hurt so bad. So bad that everything that's you has now gone on, only your body doesn't know it yet.

Now I know different. I know that the bond we have is still there, that you're hanging on with all you got. But honey, you don't need to hang on anymore. I just want to let you know two things baby: First, Mommy will always love you, and second, it's ok, you can let go. Everything will turn out right my darling daughter. I love you, I'll always love you."

"Oh mamma, I love you too. Bye momma…"

Suddenly everything was spinning….

**Darkness**

Mmm..warm. Floating.

NOW! Pressure. NOW! Urgency. Sound! Now now now!!! Pain! Cold! Bright! Loud! Crying.

Warmth….a face….LOVE! Oh yes!

"She's beautiful Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence. What are you going to name her?"

"Megan. We're going to name her Megan"

Epilogue

…And in other news, the three men charged with the brutal beating death of Mark Willis last month have plead guilty to murder. Under this plea agreement, all three men will serve a life sentence without a possibility of parole in lieu of the State seeking the death penalty….

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So Sad

RAMI

This is a truly sad story, that is redeemed only if you believe in an immediate bodily reincarnation. At least the criminal will spend their lives in jail. They do deserve the ultimate penalty. But perhaps a lifetime in a prison will be a better punishment.

Very well written first posting. Thanks for adding your talents.

RAMI

RAMI

This is a good first effort

a frightening and harrowing experience for both mother and child. A sad reflection of the hate that is still in the world, and a reminder that all stories do not end happily.

A few hours after my father died of cancer, his great-grandchild was born. The circle of life.
Susie

Better Punishment for them trolls

Any male who commits a hate crime on male 2 female transgendered persons or any women. Weather it is rape, women abuse and or hate crimes against feminity should be subjected to under go forced full trisitioning to the female gender. Meaning SRS as completing the punishment.

It is a fact of life

that faced with something or someone that is different , Many people react in a violent way, Poor Mark never stood a chance, Even he had been given the chance too talk to his attackers, You can be pretty cetain they would not have listened

At least the story ended on an upbeat note After reading this powerful tale of violence... ,Maybe it was right way to finish.

Kirri

P.S .
Cracking first story ,Hope to read more soon.

Incredibly Sad Story

I really liked your use of reincarnation in your story. I often pray that reincarnation is real and allows us to eventually lead our 'real' lives as women.

Story Very Sad But Well Told, But Morals Ethics of Punishments?

First, this short story was very sparse and intense, and so very effective, but so sad.

The comments re what to do with the murderers, reveals how primitive we still are.

Sorry folks, this is just my opinion and you are entitled to disagree with me of course!

What, may I ask, would be achieved by judicial ritual human sacrifice of the murdering bigots? (and what would that do to the servants of a state that were ordered to carry that out?)

Yet, how is justice done and a wrong put right by locking them up for the rest of their lives?

And would you wish the boon of womanhood upon such undeserving oafs, when those waiting for it have to go through tortuous and expensive rituals to achieve their dreams?

What is this emotion, Hate? What does it feel like? How does one get so worked up that one can even kill another person? I can remember as a small child having tantrums of temper, but not since growing up.

When peoples' minds are so out of order that they can commit murder, or rape, surely we recognise that their minds are not under control anymore. Either temporarily or permanently, they are insane. Insanity is a sickness, not a crime. What the sufferer needs is treatment, not punishment.

Surely I, as an atheist, cannot be the only one who can see it this way? Those that believe in christianity, how little do you really believe and live out your claimed faith?

Briar

Briar

I may be too subjective, so....

Andrea Lena's picture

...According to the United States Department of Justice, as documented by Wikipedia

On a given day in 1994 there were approximately 234,000 offenders convicted of rape or sexual assault under the care, custody, or control of corrections agencies; nearly 60% of these sex offenders are under conditional supervision in the community.
The median age of the victims of imprisoned sexual assaulters was less than 13 years old; the median age of rape victims was about 22 years. (Emphasis mine)
An estimated 24% of those serving time for rape and 19% of those serving time for sexual assault had been on probation or parole at the time of the offense for which they were in State prison in 1991.
Of the 9,691 male sex offenders released from prisons in 15 States in 1994, 5.3% were rearrested for a new sex crime within 3 years of release. (that's over 480 new crimes - emphasis mine)
Of released sex offenders who allegedly committed another sex crime, 40% perpetrated the new offense within a year or less from their prison discharge. (That's almost 165 new crimes - emphasis mine)
And keep in mind, this is only including 15 out of 50 states,and doesn't take into consideration new offenders or unreported offenses, nor does it consider the age of the study, which is 16 years old. At the time of the study, the number of sexual offenders in prison constituted 1% of the population; which would make the estimation of sexual offenders well over 300,000 today.

These statistics dramatically increase in number of offenses when the estimation of unreported sexual assault and molestation are factored in. In other words, even with treatment, enough of a risk is presented to the general public that incarceration at the very least seems a wise choice. Monitoring and supervision of sexual offenders has failed to prevent re-offense, as some of the statistics bear out. It is regrettable to consign anyone to incarceration, but for the sake of the population, it is a reasonable solution; even if it isn't ideal. I worked with juvenile sex offenders while a counselor in Virginia. Enough of them were lacking in remorse to give me concern after their discharge from the program. And their rate of recidivism was less than half that of adult offenders.

The other thing to keep in mind is that evil does exist in the world; and innocent people are hurt every day because of the choices of others. Bringing this down to a personal level. If my Uncle had been incarcerated for raping me and my sister, the odds are he would have reoffended when he was released from prison, irrespective of any progress he had made or remorse he might have shown.

In regard to Christianity as practiced in the context of this subject; nothing in the Bible abrogates accountability for ones actions; the term "judge" in the phrase "judge not lest ye be judged," should more accurately be translated "condemn." Jesus in the Gospels and the writers of the epistles frequently appeal to the reader to recognize and obey authority. I believe that the government, to which we frequently appeal, has as it's primary duty the responsibility to ensure the safety of its citizens.

I appeal to you to bring it to the personal level. If someone you loved and cared for was raped or molested, would you want to see the offender receive "treatment" followed by subsequent release, or would you want to guarantee that person had no chance whatsoever to re-offend? As always, my dear friend, great to discuss and debate. Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Dealing with Sex Offenders

Andrea, the figures you cited were shocking - even for such a large country.

You ask me to bring it to the personal level. I have long been against death sentences. I have several times been asked whether I would not agree to the judicial sacrifice of the life of a person who had murdered my own daughter. That is the hardest challenge, I guess. I have said, after considering my answer carefully, that I would still not want them slaughtered. "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" I think Mahatma Gandhi said that. I cannot claim to be at the same high moral level as he was, but I think I could go that far.

We had a relative in my family who did develop an abnormal attraction to my then seven year old daughter. I spotted this, and banned him from the house, and had several severe talks with him. He was in the end so ashamed, he hung himself. I still sometimes feel partly to blame for his death, though the experts who councelled me assured me that it was not my doing and that he was full of guilt anyway. I still have a slight doubt about it though, and that branch of the family have disconnected from me completely. OK, Psychology was not my expertise, my interests were in the biochemistry of people. I am not a phsyician but a researcher, and my "bedside manner" is awful!

I think that we need a lot more research into sex offenders. We need to keep them away from possible victims and from would be revenge seekers, but to be able to study what goes on inside their heads. There are, from what I have been able to find out, early warning signs of someone going wrong like this. They do worse things as they progress further off the normal road, but can be trained to stop.

A lot of what happens inside peoples' heads is down to chemical imbalances. Many years ago i worked in a large, Victorian Asylum where we were studying the biochemistry of the insane. Many of them were wandering about like zombies, maintained on cocktails of drugs that the "Psychiatrists" freely prescribed, although no proper studies had ever been made on the effects of five or six different tranquilizers given all at once. I must explain that this was ages ago now - Electro-Convulsive-Therapy and even Lobotomy were still being used. We in our Lab found that many psychotics had weak enzymes in their brain metabolism, and could be completely normalized given massive enough doses of B vitamin complex, so that their Krebs Cycles in their brains would function properly. The result of this and many other similar researches resulted in the great Open Door (or as cynics called it the Revolving Door!) Policy Change, and eventual closure of these 10 000-patient asylums.

Now, if we were able to document the Early Warning Signs of aberrant behaviour and desire to try to copulate with children, for example, we could identify and develop tests for and preventive treatments, along with supervision in the community even. I'm pretty sure sex offenders dont WANT to ruin their lives or spend the rest of it in some dreadful prison, if they can be treated instead!

Where for us even closer situations are concerned, the treatment by society of the gender diverse minorities, we could, by teaching tolerance and appreciation of diversity, in society at large, at least greatly reduce the numbers of bigots. Certain religious organizations need banning IMHO because they oppose any such tolerance or appreciation of diversity. Other cultures, like the N American Indian First Nations for example, actually valued gender diverse individuals, as did the Polynesians. We live in times of change and rapid progress. Progress is seldom achieved by those who conform to some arbitrary norm, but rather comes from the abnormal people, the ones with different ideas. I have noticed that it is more often than not the people who do not feel that secure in their own sex orientation or gender identity that object to others the most!

The Canadians have done quite a bit with rehabilitation of released sex offenders. They involve the parents of molested children in this too.

In many advanced nations there are now "Lavender Quarters", where gender diverse people can assemble and treat each other with more respect and acceptance than they get outside. I guess in time we may well evolve to a situation where the Bigotted have their Red-Neck Reservation Safe Areas, where they can wind each other up and express their objections to us without fear of oppression! :)

Thank you for your stimulating response, it was a pleasure to discuss this with you.

Briar

Briar

There are too many stories like this...

Far too many, because the tragedy is so real, and so eminent.
They crop up in the news, in conversations, and for some, in
memory too. They are all sad stories, and though they serve a
purpose, I dislike them all.

I like the premise of the story though, and the hope of second
chances. I like the hopeful way you wrote it, and the implicit
prayer that somehow things, though confused and sad in the present
life, may somehow - someday - be set aright. I like as well,
that I see a little more hope for justice in these stories of late,
with the prosecution of the hateful with more than a slap on the
wrist, especially in contrasted with the whispered accusations of
'It's your own fault,' that have always been only a little less
common than the stories themselves.

I really like, that although the stories like this will never go
away before ignorance and stupidity do, that hope has it's place too.

I don't like stories like this Connie, but I do liked just about
everything about the way you wrote this one. I think you did a
good job, knowing to keep it short, and streamlined, and powerful.
The writing, I liked - very much.

I will look forward to seeing more. I'd love to see what you can
do with a happier subject too, when and if the stars are right for
you.

Thank you, for a well written story.

Sarah Lynn Morgan

Nice ideas there

A lot of feeling, well edited, interesting twist at the end and some good narrative ideas. Sorry to hear it's based in fact, there are some terribly sad facts out there.
But do keep telling your stories.

XX
AD

Just because

ALISON

"you don't like the way a person looks,dresses or
thinks is no justification for attacking them.
NEVER!EVER!

ALISON

Very moving,

but so sad. I cannot think of mother who was left alone, bereft of her beloved child. T_T It was really well written, but I don´t think I can stand such stories too often. Too painful.
Robin

real pain

All to offen the ending does not come out like this I know .
those that hurt and mame are to offen not caught or not found guilty and get away with thier sin crimes
I know .....But GOD will be there so will I TO POINT A FINGER .. peace and love Rone Welles xoxoxoxoxox :)

Very touching!

So sad but so true!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita