A Splintered Life - Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version
Deirdre is busy cleaning the house and thinking about all the things she has to be thankful for. She is not filled with regrets, but contentment.

A Splintered Life

Chapter 14
Maternal Reflections

by poetheather

Copyright © 2010 by poetheather

 
Maternal Reflections
 
 

Melody ran outside screaming happily. The little six year old was dressed in a bright blue play jumper that was just like her eyes. The puppy loped behind her, bounding almost in time with the little girl.

Deirdre watched the scene happily, smiling from inside the house. Melody was such a beautiful little girl who looked just like her mother. She had Megan’s hair and nose. Some of the other features were from the donor the two of them had chosen and they were okay with that. They had both agreed on the choice and had happily begun the pregnancy.

Deirdre remembered her sympathy weight gain and pains. It had been touching, but funny. Megan had laughed at her when they were both waddling around the park for exercise. They both had so much fun reading to Megan’s swelling belly and playing music to it as well. It had been a great time of coming together. They had never felt so close.

It had taken them four weeks to finally decide on a name after the ultrasound revealed it was a girl. They had gone through baby book after baby book and had consulted both sets of parents. Melody was the only name everyone managed to agree on. Some of the ones they had rejected were a little scary. She thought it was funny the kind of names they had chosen. Thankfully, some sanity had returned when they checked the names to see if their child would get beaten up in school.

The grandparents all doted on her. Melody had wanted for nothing. Both sets of Grandparents had bought all sorts of clothes, dolls, and furniture for her. That had freed up enough money for Megan and her to get the house, which had been nice.

It was hard to believe that she and Megan had been together for over ten years now. They had managed to get married before Deirdre’s surgery would make it more difficult. Despite legislation, they had found a way to get together legally. Megan had stayed with her through the difficulty of surgery, dilation, and recovery. Megan had also laughed at her during her first ob-gyn appointment when the stirrups came out, and the duck bill went in. Her eyes had gotten large is surprise with how cold it had been. The two of them were happy and it showed.

It had not always been easy but they had been there, together, and that had helped. She remembered the ramen days with a smile and the days when they had been without a car or a phone. It had gotten better when they had graduated and got real work. Life certainly had given them an E ticket ride.

The pictures that covered the wall told part of that history, but certainly not all of it. The pictures didn’t tell about the phone call many years ago when David had called her and apologized to her for everything he had done. There were no pictures for that. No pictures of her shock and surprise. No pictures of the resentment and anger that was still there after years of therapy. David had also said that he still had trouble coping and would be staying away for his own good. He didn’t want to snap like he had before and even the idea of that happening scared him away. Prison had shown him that and had helped him deal with what he had become. He cared about her, even loved her, but was not able to deal with her, at least not yet. And David was sorry for that.

Melody would probably never meet her Uncle, but he had always sent her a present on her birthday. It was a start. Maybe time would help him get past his problems, but that was not Deirdre’s concern. David had to come to terms with himself, just like she had all those years ago.

Megan would be home from work soon. Deirdre started to get supper ready. She was making pasta, which was a family favorite. She had found she had enjoyed being the stay at home mom. PTA, school meetings, cleaning and cooking, she found those tasks fun and fulfilling, which had been a surprise. She even ran a website for the local PTA. That brought in some extra money. She was content and at peace with herself. She guessed time could heal most anything.

Deirdre got the sauce going and cooked up a little Italian sausage to go with it. She also fixed something for Melody. Their daughter was still a messy eater. She figured that she would always be that way.

Still lost in memories, she remembered the tear filled first day of school for her daughter. It had been a painful moment for Melody, she had cried before she had gone into class as she wanted her mommies. Despite everything, she had enjoyed herself, but it had been tough at the beginning. Normal life had the funniest way of being interesting despite the lack of events. Daily things held her interest enough for now.

Megan came in the house and headed straight for her, hugging her tightly. “Hey there Deirdre. How was your day?”

Deirdre kissed her, “Not too bad. Just been wandering through memories.”

“Woolgathering again? Sometimes I wonder why you do that to yourself. You get maudlin at times.”

“Well, sometimes, but I am getting better. I was thinking about how things have changed. It is hard to look back and see how I got here from there. So much has changed in ten years. It’s amazing.”

“Sweetie, don’t worry about it. I love you and I want to stay with you forever. The past has gone on its way. Let’s worry about the future.”

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Is that it?

well at least David learned alot and he is staying away. I guess that is good
I like this chapter. Is that it?

This is it. The end is past

This is it. The end is past nigh.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Finish???

ALISON

I thought that you would have taken this further,but never mind ,
it has been a roller coaster ride and a marvellous story.A gamut
of emotions and feeling that had everyone on edge.You are a very good author and you should have more confidence in your ability as your
readers obviously have.I wish you every success in your future endeavours
and may the Good Lord keep and protect you.Much love and thank you.
ALISON

ALISON

I have lots of confidence in

I have lots of confidence in my skills as a writer. The issue with this story was that it was before my skill increased, in part thanks to this story. When I had written it, this was my longest story. It came out in a burst and after an edit I showed it to one of the creative writing teachers as a possible thesis. It's reception convinced me that I should go with poetry.

And sometimes rollercoasters can be fun.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Me too!

Alison has said my sentiments exactly!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Well, I guess that saves

Well, I guess that saves typing time then.

Thank you.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

That chapter was a suprise

That chapter was a suprise for me, showing their happy future with their daughter. But i'm happy that everything end well for them, and even for David, who stoped being such jerk. It's a great, and i do mean great story, thanks for writing it.

I figured showing redemption

I figured showing redemption and healing and that they continued on would be a good thing. And I like Happy Endings, even if the characters have to crawl through Hell to get there.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

It seems that we can skip on spanking...

But social service still stays! ^_^

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Well, I guess I will have to

Well, I guess I will have to endure.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Your opening said this best for me...

Andrea Lena's picture

...She is not filled with regrets, but contentment. She seems somewhat melancholy, but it would be a surprise if she weren't. David's notes probably evoke a lot of emotion, both good and bad, and Melody's life is one that may make Deidre wonder if she deserves the life she has, after so much had been taken from her. Megan's a rock, a steady loving and understanding spouse who knows her wife is going to woolgather from time to time. Thanks for a great tale, which I expect will be followed by more great story telling.


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you very much. I was

Thank you very much. I was glad people enjoyed the wild ride that was this tale. It goes to several places that are highly charged emotionally but that is a good thing in my opinion.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Thanks Heather

Nice story. Glad we did not have to go through all the post rape stuff with her. For all the torture of her young life it feels good to know she is in a safe and secure place.

I contemplated writing some

I contemplated writing some of the post rape healing, but decided that it wasn't part of this particular tale. Sadly, the rape is what brings together her splintered life. Trauma can often bring things into focus.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

A Splintered Life - Chapter 14

Is bitter sweet with its look into the past and look into the future. Yet sweet, sentimental as a whole.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well done!

A nice, sweet epilogue to the story.

It's nice to hear David's recovering, but has voluntarily decided to stay away for his own good - even though ten years have now passed since the incident of the last few chapter.

It would be brilliant if Melody turned out to be a good singer - nominative determinism :)

"Both sets of grandparents" - nice indication that Deirdre's parents have now accepted both her gender and her relationship with Megan.

You wondered at the beginning whether this would attract an audience. As I've said to several authors in the past: "You keep writing 'em, and we'll keep reading 'em!"

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thanks. I am wondering if

Thanks.

I am wondering if people caught some of the similarities between A Bath Before Dying and this chapter. One is filled with memories of regret while she cleans and prepares and the other happy thoughts and cleaning. I thought that might be a nice frame.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Hard in places

Hi

This was a good story, with some hard subjects that many don't want to talk about. I'm glad you have managed to portray feelings that many of us don't want to to think about.

Very well done

Karen

I think literature is truly

I think literature is truly engaging when it tackles difficult subjects. Too many trans stories take the easy route and avoids these issues, as if avoiding a shared pain, but what takes away the strength of pain is not avoidance but engagement. I know this is a very Buddhist response, but so it goes. By facing these issues we can get to a place where we can move beyond them.

Step by step is how you walk the thousand mile road.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Nice job

Like many others I suspect, I was looking for a longer series with the healing from the rape but after reading the chapter and thinking about it a little, this was very satisfying. I don't need the details and the ending tells me the important stuff. Guess that's somethign a good writer will know - when to show details... when to move on... when to end the tale. This one was ended effectively and with a lot of heart.

Endings are as important as

Endings are as important as beginnings, but a lot of people miss that. Sure you can keep a series going forever, but there are always points that create an end of sorts. I just like to make them clear and concise, most of the time.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Too abrupt

A peek at the "happily ever after" is nice, but it feels like there is a large chunk of the story missing between the last chapter and this one. I feel that the family's reaction and how they coped is such a large part of the events in the previous chapters that it needs to be told. I am glad it turned out so well for Diedre and Megan.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

In a way, the story ended

In a way, the story ended after Megan saved the day and the last chapter was to show that her life was no longer splintered. The other reactions and such are not as important as Deirdre healing from the event, being happy and enjoying her life. After what had happened to her, that end result is more important than parents freaking out, the trial and such.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Thank You Heather

I read this story in one sitting. I think your use of flashbacks and various points of view along with somewhat disjointed chapters of varying lengths resulted in a very powerful and most entertaining tale.

Rosie

Rose

Thank you. I figured the

Thank you.

I figured the technique would draw the reader in more as they had to work a little for the story. Glad you enjoyed it.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Another great story

Another great story Heather!

Saless 


Kittyhawk"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Thank you. I am glad you

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

An emotional read

Pamreed's picture

Thank you Heather! I just read this story and was so involved I could stop and take time to comment!! I admitt I cried several times!!! It dreged up so many memories (the wanting to be me, the terror of being attacked, the fulfilment of now being me)!!

Fare thee well,
Pamela

"how many cares one loses when one decides not to be
something, but someone" Coco Chanel

Great story

janet_L.'s picture

A great story.

The attempted suicide scene was very effective and expressed the pain leading to such events remarkably well.

Likewise the attempted rape scene seemed to capture the thoughts of a would be rapist.

I'm not sure I would have read it if it had bore the abuse warning many stories involving such events carry.

Very well written, and more than worth the pain.

Thank you. Yeah, there are

Thank you.

Yeah, there are some hard parts in the story, because transition is not all sunshine and roses. Deirdre had to face some terrible stuff but in the end achieved happiness. That is worth going through pain for. The reason so many of us transition is because the end result is worth the pain.

True, Deirdre had more than her fair share of grief, but it worked out in the end.

I am glad you liked it.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I came across this today...

Andrea Lena's picture

...one of the best I've ever read, and I wanted to thank you once again.



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you. This was one of

Thank you.

This was one of the longest stories I had written when I was in grad school. Since then I have written far longer things, but you have to start somewhere.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Raising the Tension

Hi Heather.

Fantastic story. Gripping, edge of the seat stuff. The use of flashbacks and different chapter lengths is a really interesting device for raising the tension and keeping it there.

Other comments speak of the darkness. There is darkness in every human soul, and we have all seen the results when it becomes visible.

Great stuff. Really enjoyed it. Now to look at something else in your library!

Kind regards

Kate

Kate

Thank you. I have tried to

Thank you. I have tried to really create a work that does grab the reader and give them a different experience.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.