Cynthia and the Moment of Truth - Chapter 5/5

Printer-friendly version
Cynthia and the Moment of Truth
Chapter 5 of 5

By Portia Bennett

Cindy is safe and back with her friends and family. What did Maddy do to save the day? Where has The Wizard been? What will become of Evan Sheisskopf?


 

If you haven’t read the previous stories about Cindy and how she arrived where she is now, you should probably read them. Start with “An Incremental Journey”, “Cynthia and the Reluctant Girlfriend”, and “Cynthia and the Dumpster Diver”. “Cynthia and the Christmas Gift” takes place several years after this story. Read it for enjoyment, if you like. It is not a plot spoiler.

I have researched the Spell’s—R-Us Universe diligently and cannot find anything that violates it, other than that The Wizard is a bit kinder and gentler than sometimes reported. Don’t get me wrong. Given an opening and The Wizard could resort to some of his more ironic and nasty transformations. I’m sure that could happen at any time. In fact, this just might be the time.

Once again, Holly has taken time out of her busy and hectic schedule to correct my many and grievous errors. Thank you so much!

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Cynthia and the Moment of Truth — Chapter 5

 

Cindy was surrounded by her parents and friends. They gently removed the tape from her. She was shaking and trying to choke back sobs. It wasn’t working very well. By then, an ambulance that had been waiting down the road pulled up, and the medical technicians helped Cindy into the back so that they could check her out. The technicians didn’t pay much attention to the pretty little cat that was sitting in Cindy’s lap, and rubbing all over her.

Two of the troopers came over to the worried families. “We’re certainly glad that the girl’s okay. That guy’s confessing all sorts of things. He may be a serial killer from what he’s blabbing about. It’s real strange. The front of his Levi’s are burned through and he’s got some nasty burns around his crotch. We’ll get the medics to look at him as soon as they’re through with the young lady. She’s very lucky. We’ll be taking him to the station, and we’ll need everyone to come to the station to make a statement.

“My goodness that’s a big dog: where did he come from?” The startled trooper was looking right at The Wizard’s wolf.

The rest looked up to see The Wizard and the wolf standing beside the ambulance. Evan Sheisskopf was standing next to The Wizard, his eyes darting back and forth, but he obviously couldn’t move or say anything.

“Gentlemen, I’ll take care of things from here on. There’s been a minor accident only. That van ran the toll gate and the driver, an illegal alien, fled and can’t be found. You may go back to your patrols. Absolutely nothing else has happened. These fine folks stopped because they witnessed the driver go through the gate.

“You medics need to go down the road to the next town. There’s a woman in a convenience store going into labor. She needs you now.”

“Thank you for telling us, sir. We’ll go there immediately.” The ambulance took off down the road.

“Officers, thank you very much for your help. You can file your report. Be sure to tell the Border Patrol about a possible illegal alien in the area. He is probably the Romanian they have been looking for.”

The Toll Way Authority repairmen had already arrived and were starting to fix the destroyed gate.

“Okay, we have a lot to talk about. The shop will be in the mall. Meet us there as soon as you can. Mr. Sheisskopf and I will go now. Come on Wolf.”

Maddy and the wolf had been rubbing on each other, and the wolf had given several slurpy kisses to Cindy and Bobbie. He went to The Wizard’s feet, and The Wizard grasped Sheisskopf’s shoulder. There was a little ‘pop’ as they disappeared.

***************************

The families arrived at the mall about thirty minutes later. Cindy was feeling much better as the effects of the chloroform dissipated. Obviously, everyone was a bit shaken, but knowing that The Wizard was in control of things eased their minds considerably. Sure enough, the SRU shop was in its Hallmark Shop location.

The Wizard called to them as the door bell’s tinkle subsided. “We’re in the back.” They found the Wizard, Wolf and a very frightened Evan Sheisskopf. “Everybody have a seat. Have some tea. It will be very calming.” The three adults, two girls, and Maddy found there were comfortable chairs in an area that was much larger than the size of the store should have allowed. There were cups of hot tea next to the chairs. There was also a small dish of cream for Maddy.

“I would have Mr. Sheisskopf apologize to you; however, it would be an empty apology, meaningless.”

“As things now stand in this universe, the events of today never happened. Unfortunately, I can’t do anything about what Mr. Sheisskopf has done in the past. We have learned some valuable lessons, and we will never forget what happened; however, I am erasing the effects of the trauma. I don’t think it will be necessary for that to remain. That’s a very special tea, known for its calming effects.

“All of you have witnessed some of my work in the past, and know what most of the outcomes are. I have done them in that way because I knew something positive was going to happen because of them. I am afraid that a transition of that sort for Mr. Sheisskopf would be a reward he doesn’t deserve. There is absolutely nothing redeemable about Mr. Sheisskopf.

“How many young women have you kidnapped, raped, and murdered, Mr. Sheisskopf?”

“Twenty-seven.”

“Do you regret doing what you have done?”

“No sir, I enjoyed it very much. I have to, love to do it.”

“Okay, that’s enough. I just wanted everyone here to hear it from you.”

“This may not be pleasant for you folks to watch, but sometimes things like this must be done.”

The Wizard made a few passes, and Sheisskopf began to morph. He dropped to his hands and knees. His arms and legs modified as his clothes became a brown and white fur coat. In a matter of seconds he was a wobbly-legged newborn calf. The dried umbilical cord was still attached to his belly.

“That’s enough. Be gone with you.” The Wizard waved and the calf vanished.

“What’s going to happen to him?” Cindy asked.

“The same thing that happens to most male calves; I don’t think we need to discuss it any further.

“Well, that was a close one. I got your calls, but the sunspots affected their strength and garbled the message. I’ve fixed all your cell phones so that you may reach me directly, without going through the ether. That might be a bit more reliable sometimes. As their strengths improve Cindy, Bobbie and Maddy should be able to reach me without the phones; however, I want the parents to be able to reach me anytime.

“Maddy, that was quick thinking. I’m really proud of you.”

“What did she do,” Cindy asked. “The man screamed and dropped his knife, then he fell down and there was some smoke.”

“Tell them what you did, Maddy. I really liked your approach.”

“I made believe his knife was a giant cockroach. It heated up real good, didn’t it? Then I melted his zipper. It was brass. That was fun. I think it burned him pretty good.”

“Bobbie, you did something to those store security people. What did you do?” her mother asked.

“Cindy and I have been working on our powers of suggestion. That was the first time I was able to put it to use.”

“Does that mean you have been using those powers on me, young lady?”

“No mom, they don’t work on family. That wouldn’t be right.

“Cindy, you’ve got to see me in that bikini. It is awesome!”

***************************

Evan looked around and discovered he was amidst a herd of cows. He seemed to be closer to the ground than he was used to. He also felt hungry. He tried to stand but found that the only thing he could do was walk on all four legs.

A large cow next to him called, and he sidled over to her. Her milk filled udder was right there, and it looked very inviting. He moved in and grasped one of the teats in his mouth and began to nurse. It was very pleasant.

The days passed and he would nurse and play with the other calves. When he was hungry, he would find his mother. He knew her smell and could always find her. He was starting to eat the rich grass in the field. One day, some men on horses came and forced him and the other calves into a truck. They took him to another place and started feeding him rich hay and other fattening food. He and the other calves grew quickly on the rich diet. The men on horses came again and started roping the calves. They would put them on their sides and do something to them with a long rod. He realized they were branding the calves, and he didn’t think he would like that. He started to run, but the next thing he knew he was on his side.

He tried to tell the cowboys that he wasn’t really a cow, but the only sound he could make was a bawling sound. The branding hurt like hell.

“Hey look at this one. His dick’s all scarred. He ain’t going to be worth shit for breeding.”

“Yeah, hold him there for a second, and I’ll take care of it.”

One of the cowboys came over to him and knelt at his rear. He grabbed him and there was hard pressure and searing pain.

“Okay, that should do it. Throw a little of that powder on him. Boy, we’re gonna have a lot of fries tonight.”

He was herded with a group of other calves into a truck. The pain in his groin was becoming a dull ache and was soon forgotten. He wasn’t sure how long the ride was. The truck was very crowded, and he couldn’t have fallen if he wanted to.

Life after that seemed very pleasant. He was in a crowded yard with some of the calves he thought he recognized from earlier. There was a lot of food and he grew larger and larger. It may have been many months later, he wasn’t really sure, when he was forced into another truck and taken to a big building. There were hundreds of other cattle. He was gradually pushed with other cattle into a long, narrow aisle. He saw lots of men wearing what looked like long white raincoats. Some of his friends were calling for their mothers. ‘Stupid cows: their mothers are nowhere near here. I wonder what’s going on up there?’

Then he saw it. The steer in front of him was clamped into a cage-like thing. The man by the steer’s head put this big thing against the steer’s head. There was a bang and the steer’s legs buckled. The steer was kept from falling by the cage. Something was wrapped around the steer’s hind legs and the steer was lifted up. Somebody cut the head off and the blood gushed everywhere. Evan screamed in terror. ‘I’m not a cow. I don’t belong here. You’ve got to let me go!’

He was pushed forward and secured in place. Something was pushed against his forehead. There was a bang.

***************************

I don’t think there’s much to discuss. Every time I read this, it has a strong emotional affect on me. Maybe it’s because I am getting old and know that there is always finality to life as we know it.

The Lewis’s and Schmedlap’s went back to Nordstrom’s to finish their shopping. They would never forget the incident, they couldn’t, but The Wizard allowed them to get some emotional relief. Both girls got to buy some nicely provocative swim suits for their trip to the beach. We will pick up on their adventures later on as they enter high school. Thank you for reading. Thank you for your comments.

Portia

up
110 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Two things,, maybe three.

Andrea Lena's picture

...First, is there any of that tea left, I think I'd like some right now. Second, a great finish to a great series (with more series to come, I hope) and third...remind me never, ever to eat Veal Parmagiana again, please! Thank you once again, and can't wait for more of Cynthia.


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Many things.

littlerocksilver's picture

Thank you, you made me laugh. The sun just came out, literally, and the light snow we have been having has stopped, leaving a nice dusting on everything. ;) Portia

Portia

Nice Hair

littlerocksilver's picture

I really like that hair style on you, although it seems better suited for the spring or summer. That quirky little smile you can't quite hide tells me you are not serious about the Veal Parmagiana. Portia

Portia

An interesting way of having

An interesting way of having retribution on Evan Shiesskopf. I am not too sure I want a good steak right now, but maybe later. I would agree with Andrea tho, how about a cup of that special tea? Jan

Tea

littlerocksilver's picture

Unfortunately The Wizard's journeys don't take him through this neck o' the woods. I keep looking and hoping. I think I will make a cup of Irish Breakfast Tea, though.

:) Portia

Portia

Cynthia and the Moment of Truth-5

Sadly, not everybody can or want to be redeemed. Such are the monsters of the human race.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Redemption

littlerocksilver's picture

I agree, Stan. Portia

Portia

Bang

littlerocksilver's picture

Not with a whimper.

Portia

Portia

I really didn't need the end.

I really didn't need the end. Everything else was great, but that was... well, I didn't need to read that. Why did the wizard interfere anyway? They'd put him behind bars for live or executed him anyway. The cow thing... I just don't know, It felt like too much.

Thank you for writing this interesting story,
Beyogi

It's been more than two and a half years

littlerocksilver's picture

... since I posted this story, and I've often wondered about the ending, too. Now that there have been a number of additional stories posted, I think the reasoning behind what happened is much more apparent. Cindy is the daughter that The Wizard could never have. I think this is one of the reason's that he let his emotions go further than they had in the past. Cindy, Bobbie, Randi and many of the children not yet born in the time of this tale are his family. Cyndy was the catalyst that turned The Wizard in a direction that he had not thought about going before. Why The Wizard can't have children was never explained in any of the previous SRU stories; however, that was Bill Hart's determination and desire. Why he can't have children is explained in Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling, a story that takes place about eighteen years in the future. I will be working on additional tales in this series, but not just yet. I have what I think is the last novel in the 'California Saga' to complete first.

Portia

I'll be thrilled...

Andrea Lena's picture

...actually, I'm pretty happy right now to know more of your California Saga will be on the way. As Always, dear heart, you're terrific!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

So he sees her as the

So he sees her as the daughter he could never have? I guess that would explain the behavior. On the other hand the relatives of the other victims will never get closure this way. I can understand his rage, considering his feelings for Cyndy, but considering his age he should have known better.

Ah well, he's not perfect, but I like your interpretation way better than the standard FM one.

I can't wait for your next story in this series, it'll be interesting to see why he can't sire children.

Thank you for writing,
Beyogi

These stories are awesome. I read them in a marathon read.

WillowD's picture

I read this story a few weeks ago. In fact, I wound up doing a marathon read of almost all of the Cynthia Chronicle stories over two weeks. Now that I have an account I'm going back and adding kudos and comments. These stories are awesome. I was reading these stories in order. As this was the fourth one, I was starting to run short of sleep over the past few days because I kept staying up late to read JUST one more chapter. *snerk* Thank you littlerocksilver.