Kira - Chapter 9 - Sunday go to meetin' and Pastor Daly

Printer-friendly version
Kira
Chapter IX - Sunday go to meetin' and Pastor Daly

by Barbara Lynn Terry

Copyright © 2010 Barbara Lynn Terry

 
Part IX - Sunday go to meetin' and Pastor Daly
 
 
Part I - Sunday go to meetin'.
 
 
The next morning, Katie came in bright and cheery, and humming "With A Little Help From My Friends", by the Beatles. She woke up by giving me a kiss on the forehead, and then telling me that it was a glorious day. I rolled over on my side, and looked at her.

"Why is it such a glorious day, sis?"

"Because my little sister makes her debut in church for the first time since we all lived together. Did you and mom ever go to church after the divorce?"

"No, mother said it was a waste of time to go and hear things she already knew."

"That's been what now? At least four years. You know that you have changed a lot since then too."

"Like how, sis?"

"You're prettier, smarter, and sneakier than even I am." She tickled me again.

I was laughing so hard I had to finally tell her to "stop, sis, or I'll pee."

She stopped tickling me, and said I should go and get my bath and she would lay out my clothes. Katie was always there for me, even when we were younger. She helped a lot when I couldn't talk to mom or daddy. Danny I couldn't talk to at all because he was a boy. I needed a girl to talk to, and Katie was always there.

I sat in the tub letting the lavender suds envelope my body. I was thinking about what Katie had said about if we had gone to church when I was with mother. I was thinking about what mother had said about church. Why do people always think that church is not for them, just because they know the whoe Bible? I guess I will never understand it. I washed all over and then pulled the plug, and after rinsing off the errant suds with the shower head, I patted down and went to get dressed.

Katie was still in the room when I got there. I let the towel drop to the floor and began getting dressed. I wasn't embarrassed and neither was Katie, and I was dressed in no time, with Katie helping to zip my dress up. I put on a little mascara, and face powder. I was ready to go down to breakfast.

I wasn't very hungry, so I had one egg, scrambled, one slice of wheat toast, with jam, a glass of milk and a glass of orange juice. After rinsing my dishes, I was ready to to go with a short stop at the foyer mirror to put my lipstick on. When we were all in the car and buckled in, daddy started for the church.

"Are you nervous, punkin?"

"Nervous for why, daddy?"

"Well, Katie tells me you haven't been to church in a long time. Do you still recall your lessons?"

"Yes, daddy, I do."

He smiled at me in the rear view mirror, "that's good, punkin. Do you remember Pastor Daly?"

"Yes daddy, I do. I mentioned his name the night mother hit me."

He looked at me in the rear view again, this time with a pained expression. "I only wish that could have been avoided. But I guess I was hoping for too much. I am only hoping that these doctors can find something that will shut your mother up once and for all." Katie and I looked at each other, and that was not missed by daddy's eyes. "Is there something the two of you wish to say?"

"Not right now, daddy," Katie said, looking sad. "We will wait until Dr. Fitzgibbons sees Kira, then I will tell you what I suspect is going on. If she finds the same things I told Kira, then everything will be fine. But I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. Not right now, anyway."

"Well alright, for now, I guess. But anyway we are here. Just remember Kira, act like a young lady."

"Yes, daddy." I wanted to say I always do, but that would be disrespectful.

We got out of the car and started for the church. Miss Palmer, my world studies teacher, greeted us.

"Mr. Spelling, Kira, it is great to see the family together again. Where is your mother?" We told her of the things that happened and why I was not in school for the longest time, and she said she would say an extra prayer for her and for us. We walked in the church and sat together.

The readings were from the Old Testament about how the Isrealites were told to leave Egypt and that they could take whatever spoils they could carry with them. The Pharoah had a change of heart of went after them, only to find his whole army drowned in the Red Sea. Then the gospel was according to St. Matthew about acceptance of those that are different than us. During his sermon, Pastor Daly said that it was a shame that more people weren't accepting of others and that more people should be thy brother's keeper.

After the service, Pastor Daly greeted the people as we left the church. When we got to him, he had asked us to wait, because he wanted to talk to us. After the last of the people were gone, Pastor Daly talked to us about the family crisis.

"I got a phone call from Mrs. Spelling at the jail. She tells me that Kiran is being raised as a girl against Kiran's wishes. Is this true?"

"No sir," I answered, shocked by what he had said. "Pastor Daly, if you look at my birth certificate, you will see that my name is Kira, not Kiran, and that my school records indicate that I am female. That could only happen if my mother let them see my birth certificate when she enrolled me. Also, I am a girl, and the doctor I am going to see will also tell you that, too. I don't know what mother is trying to do, but she will not split this family up. Not again. Not like she did when she divorced us. Pastor Daly, sir, I may only be thirteen years old, but I have been through a lot. Even Miss Palmer can tell you that I am a girl."

"Well, if there are physical anomalies that can show that you are a girl, then that is fine. I was just telling you what your mother told me. She also said she is in jail for no reason. Would you care to tell me about that?"

"No sir. I will tell you this though. If you think she is in jail for nothing, call Mrs. Jenkins at the district attorney's office and talk to her. I'm sure she will lighten your burden."

"Well, alright for now, I guess, but I want to be at the trial. Would that be alright?"

"Yes, pastor, that will be alright."

Pastor Jonathan Daly, was about daddy's age, with a full head of brown, shimmering hair he kept cut to the nape of his neck. He had a great smile, but when it came to preaching hot hell, fire and brimstone, not even Karl Malden in Pollyanna could come close. But he was not the judging type. He never judged another human being, but he did investigate the things that he thought were not right. Like right now. Mother not only lied in court during the divorce, but had also lied to our pastor. I always thought that she would have obeyed the ten commandments, but I guess not.

We started walking to the car, when Miss Palmer stopped and talked to Katie.

"Katie, I hardly ever see you, excpet during lunch at the school. How is your internship going?"

"It is going great, Miss Palmer. I really love my students and Mrs. Arden says I will have no problems when I get my own classroom."

"Well that's great. Listen, you're invited over next Sunday for dinner. Tonight I have plans elsewhere with someone special. But next week I want you to meet him. He is really nice. All of you come. I especially want him to meet you Kira. I think you will find him a little weird, but lovable. Anyway, I should be going so I can get ready. Have a good day all." We all said same to you, and she was in her car.

We got in our car and headed home. I looked at Katie, and she looked back. Then I said to daddy.

"Daddy, we need to go back to the mall today. I forgot to get some underthings for the dresses and outfits I got yesterday."

"Do I detect a little female conspiracy here?"

"Why daddy, whatever do you mean?" Katie and I giggled, and poor Danny looked like he was lost.

"Uh dad, we're not going underwear shopping with girls. Are we?"

"You want to go home first then?"

"No, I'll go to the mall, but I will stop at the arcade and play video games until you come and get me."

"That's fine with me. But I am only giving you twenty dollars to spend there. So make sure it lasts."

"I will." Katie and I giggled again.

Daddy drove us to the mall, and we went right to the Miss Intimates store. I needed panties, bras, half and full slips, and nylons. I also was thinking about getting a couple of leotards and tights so I could practice a few dance steps in my room. Maybe after I see Dr. Fitzgibbons, daddy will let me take dance lessons at the studio just down the street from us. Maybe. Not that I needed them to dance at the prom, every high school girl knows how to do that, but I want to learn ballroom dancing, so that if I ever go to a really nice place where they have dinner and dancing, I don't want to be clumsy on my feet.

Danny went off to the arcade to play his video games, and daddy told him to wait. He gave Katie his card, and a signed note saying it was alright for her to use his card. Most of the stores knew Katie anyway, but this was a new store, so the note was necessary. Then daddy told Danny he was going to join him. Katie and I just giggled because guys sure seemed embarrassed in a shop for women's lingerie. We went in the shop and Gloria, one of Katie's friends from when she went to school, greeted us.

"Katie! It's good to see you. It's been a long time. What are you doing with yourself these days?"

"I'm interning at the high school so that I can get my own classroom next year."

"You always were a bright student. Katie Spelling a teacher. So what grade will you be teaching?"

"Ninth grade. I like teaching at the freshman level."

"That's a good grade to start start at. So what brings you here?"

"My sister needs some lingerie for her outfits she bought yesterday."

"Sister? I thought you had two brothers."

"We found out through medical examinations that she is really a girl."

"So, is it still Kiran, then."

"No Gloria, it is Kira. We found out that that is my name on my birth certificate."

"Well I have heard of such things, but never knew anybody that was going through it until now. How is your mother taking the news of all of this?"

"Our mother assualted Kira in spite of it, and she's in jail waiting for her trial. She doesn't stand a chance though, because the doctor that will examine Kira will testify that Kira is the victim of AIS. Anyway, will you show Kira what you have, while I look around too?"

"Of course, Katie," Gloria said, looking a little puzzled.

I looked around the store and I saw bra and panty sets on little hangers. I looked through them and found my sizes. I took one black pair, one cream pair, one red pair, one pink pair, and the last pair was white. The panties all had lace panels on each side, and the bras all had the same lace between the cups at the chest level. Then I looked at slips, and I found what I was looking for. These slips were very pretty and had lace on the front, and the hem. I got three full slips, and three half slips, then I said I needed nylons. Those were along the wall by the cash register. I got two pair of smoke black thigh high stay ups, four pair of of regular nylons that had to have garters for, and I also bought two leotards and and two pairs of tights. Katie joined us at the register but she didn't buy anything for herself. After promising Gloria we would invite her over for dinner on Saturday, we left the store.

Instead of going to get daddy and Danny, we decided to go mall hopping. The next store we went to was the same one we were at yesterday where I got my dresses. We went in and the lady came up to us and said welcome back. I said I was looking for something very special, and she said that the very special dresses and gowns were in the back, and only select clients were allowed back there. After promising that we weren't from the fashion police, yes she giggled at that, we were allowed to in the back viewing room. This is where models walked a runway and modeled clothes of all kinds that were one of a kind designs. The lady's name was Deb, and she was Katie's age, but Katie didn't know her.

Deb had us sit in seats along the runway, and she would send out the models. Four models went by before I saw the dress on the fifth one that was just perfect. It was an ankle length tea gown of a satin body and a chiffon skirt. It was periwinkle on top and off white for the skirt. It was perfet, but it had a price tag of three hundred dollars. Katie called dad on his cell and asked permission for me to get it in my size. He asked the price and she told him. I heard him whistle and then said it was all right for me to get it. Deb was happy to have made a sale, and said because it was a one of a kind, it had to be cleaned and then would be sent to the house. We paid for the gown, which also came with a pair of evening gloves. I know, I'm only thirteen, what do I need such a beautiful gown for. Well, you never know.

After we were finished buying the dress, we went to get daddy and Danny. We found them playing a race car game complete with sound effects. We walked up and said hi, and they both jumped a mile high. Katie and I giggled. After giving Daddy his card back, Katie said the store will deliver the gown after it is cleaned. They finished their game with Danny winning, and we went down to the car. We got home just in time to hear the phone ring. It was Pastor Daly. He wanted to know if he could come over, because there was something very important he needed to tell us. Daddy said he could, and we would be waiting for him.
 
 
Part II - Pastor Daly.
 
 
It didn't take Pastor Daly long to get to the house, so whatever it was he had to say was very important. He came in and the amenities being over, daddy offered him coffee, tea, milk, juice, or hot cocoa, and he said hot cocoa. Then daddy asked him what was so important.

"I got a call from the jail, to go and see your ex-wife. They told me that she tried to hang herself in her jail cell last night. When I talked to her she didn't give me any kind of a reason or excuse. This may be a ploy by her, but I have to take it seriously. Is there anything you would like to tell me that I may be able to understand why she would try something like this?"

"Well," daddy said, thinking, "all I can think of is, she is trying to make a record for an insanity plea. I will have to talk to Mrs. Jenkins at the district attorney's office about this, and see if this will delay her trial. If it does, she just may be able to convince doctors that she is mentally unstable, and that is why she treated Kira the way she did.

"When we were in court, on our divorce hearing, she told the judge that she objected to me having full custody of all of the children, because she said I was raising our youngest son as a girl. When we were thinking of names for our new born, we had settled on the name Kiran for a boy, and Kira for a girl. But I wasn't there when she delivered, so I don't know what she told the nurse about what name to put on the birth certificate. But when we got Kira's birth certificate just a few weeks ago, it said Kira, and female for sex on it.

"Kira is going to have an extensive examination by both a medical doctor, and a psychotherapist. So we will see just what Kira's physical and mental makeup really is. We are hoping it will say just what we have known for a long time, but right now that is strictly speculation."

"Pastor Daly," Katie spoke up next. "I didn't want to say anything, but I have been doing research on the internet, and I found something very interesting. There is a very rare condition in females called AIS. It stands for androgen insensitivity syndrome, and what that means is, that a person born female has the chromosomes of the male, and the testicles that produce testosterone, but for some unknown reason, the testosterone that is produced is so much it actually ends up as estrogen. Kira's voice is getting higher, and she is developing a female figure, and female breasts too. She has not taken any other estrogens, except what is in her body naturally. When Dr. Sarah Fitzgibbons gives her a complete physical, and does the blood work, this is what I am very certain she will find that Kira has. This condition was first diagnosed in 1953, so it is nothing new. Right now, everybody can see Kira for the wonderful girl that she is, and she is going to be pretty. But we are holding out for a positive decision by Dr. Fitzgibbons and Mrs. Dowling at the Institute of Psychiatry and Psychology."

"Mrs. Amanda Dowling?" pastor Daly inquired.

"Yes, pastor."

"I know both of these women. Whatever they diagnose, you know it will be true. These women are both dedicated to their professions, and their lives as teachers of their respective specialties. Well Kira, it looks like you are in good hands here. I am sorry that I was the bearer of bad news, but I thought it was very important that I tell you right away."

"Well pastor, we are very glad you did. Would you care to stay for dinner? It is Katie and Kira's turn to cook."

"I would be delighted, thank you. Now can we talk football?" Everybody giggled. Katie and I went in the kitchen and started preparing the ingredients for savory meatloaf.
 

*          *          *

 
End of Part IX
 
 
To Be Continued...

up
103 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not that i criticize it or

Not that i criticize it or anything but i think that news about mother who tried to hang herself would give some worry and sadness to family. Mother wasn't great, but she is still their mother and maybe there were happier times before their mother showed her true face.

And that pastor is nice guy. His sermon was in good time also.

And i would like to know, if it isn't problem for you(autor) name of that mother, just to stop caling her "mother".

OMG!

This is a story, nothing more, and no, she was a witch with a capial B. I don't even know why I continue to do this, if all I'm going to get is dense flak from idiots. If you didn't like the story you just leave it alone. And how come you don't share your name? Are you embarrassed to even be here? There are others who like ther story and I don't change my story to fit anybody's style of reading. The story is as it is, and that is the end of it, godddddddd you guests are such idiots with your preconceived notions of what YOU want written. Well if you want something written that way, write your story that way then.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

I Think They Should Go Check

jengrl's picture

I think that they should go check on her and see exactly why she did what she did. They automatically assumed that she is trying to cop an insanity defense. I guess her past action do give them cause to think that, but they still need to get more details. I'm glad that Pastor Daley is a well reasoned man. There are so many in his profession that automatically make assumptions about why Kira would be living as a girl.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

I hope Kira's mother is okay, but...

Andrea Lena's picture

...she just gave Kira's father enough evidence that she cannot be entrusted with the care of her child, as she is self-destructive. And even if she is feigning mental illness, she's provided Kira's attorney with enough proof that she's ill-prepared to take care of herself, much less her child. So if she is faking, she might elude incarceration, but she may just have "shot herself in the foot," so to speak. Excellent as always, my dear! P.S. I like Pastor Daly!


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Pastors and preconceived notions of right or wrong.

With the Catholic church now accepting open gays into the congregation, the preconceived notions that gays, lesbians, bi, transgendered, intersexed, and crosdressers are not the freaks and perverts they originally thought, are gone. Pastor DAly is based on my pastor I had before I left for Australia. He was a man who believed that the only one that had the right to judge anybody was the Lord Himself. He did preach that "different" is not wrong, and that we should extend a shoulder to others who are "different" than we are. He was a good man, and he had done an assignment for the church in the Carribbean for 4 years before he went to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. There are real people that my characters are based on, and no...they didn't need to find out anything more about the attempted suicide because the pastor had already told them about it.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Either a minor proofing error or very clever writing , Barbara

By the way I like this story very much as well as What Mother Didn't Know.

I did notice this and was wondering, I quote. Note I highlighted and bolded the particular line I wonder about.

>>
"Well that's great. Listen, you're invited over next Sunday for dinner. Tonight I have plans elsewhere with someone special. But next week I want you to meet him. He is really nice. All of you come. I especially want him to meet you Kira. I think you will find him a little weird, but lovable. Anyway, I should be going so I can get ready. Have a good day all." We all said same to you, and she was in her car.
>>
end quote

Why did Kira's sitter refer to her as *him* or was she referring to her boyfriend from a sentence or so before? People do talk that way and English is notorious for confusing pronouns. If it is an error missed in proofing, who cares. it did nothing to hurt the story. If it is your attempt to write as people speak, IE people make mistakes in their every day speech, VERY slick writing, Barbara.

And why leave Wisconsin, It can't be any warmer in Salzburg what with the Alps and snow those annoying Von Trapp family singing all over the place and ... oh, that's Australia.

Never mind. I realize now I missread this whole paragraph. You wrote it fine, *I* confused myself, shame on me -- snicker -- That;s what I get for concntrating on one line and igoring what was said a few lines earlier. DOH!

Please igore my stupidity and don't send that hitsquad of trained kangaroos.

P.S. My dad drove around your new country/continent a couple Novembers ago and had alot of fun though things were expensive and Sydney was a bear to park and get around in.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Not much of a Pastor

... so what if she is really just trans ? Should such a 'man of God' judge ?

I have met the likes of him in real-life.

'nuff said.

Kim

I believe he asked the questions, not to determine

Andrea Lena's picture

...if Kira was just trans or not, but because the only thing he had heard up to that point is that Kiron's father was forcing him to live "like" a girl. I think he was clarifying it so that he could understand just what he was facing as the pastor. I don't believe that he was judging Kira at all. Keep in mind what Barbara said this in her comment,

"Pastor Daly is based on my pastor I had before I left for Australia. He was a man who believed that the only one that had the right to judge anybody was the Lord Himself. He did preach that "different" is not wrong, and that we should extend a shoulder to others who are "different" than we are. He was a good man..."

Doe this sound like someone who was judging Kira and her father?

"Well Kira, it looks like you are in good hands here. I am sorry that I was the bearer of bad news, but I thought it was very important that I tell you right away."

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

pastor Daly

I think i read it like Andrea in the fact he was just trying to get stories straight. I dont think there was malice in his questions.

I do also believe Mom should get a name. she is one of the principle charactors, but it's writers perogative I suppose.

Havent said B4 in comments but like the story alot. Keep it up :-)

PS Because of my past & present, I'm not too keen on any pastor, or for that matter shrinks, I'll just say there are ones that really do believe what they do is just, and their actions are as honerable as their speech. so. let god do the judging & them tend to their flocks.

HAIR SPLITTERS??

ALISON

This is a good story,well told and I am so glad you responded as you did ,Barbara.The story is your story and as you said if they want something different they should write it themselves and not hide behind the psuedonym of "visitor".
Good for you,I'm heartily sick of these people who write in about punctuation,spelling or things that they have not got the brains to analyze and understand themselves.My advice to them is
to stick to the comic papers-----the pictures are self explanatory.If you can't say something nice,don't say anything at all.In other words,if you must critisize,say what you mean,mean what you say and don't use big words----you will only confuse yourself.

ALISON

If "MaMa" did try to kill

If "MaMa" did try to kill herself or harm herself in any manner, in my old jurisdiction, any action(s) of that nature committed in the jail was immediately reported to the prosecutor's office AND the judge, especially if the defendent was being held on a criminal charge(s). Along with these two offices being notified, would also be the Mental Health Professionals and a request for them to come to the jail to interview the subject. Their report would be filed with the judge along with any recommendations, such as continued MH sessions with a psychologist or pysch Dr or if they felt the actions by the subject were being faked to gain sympathy from the court or even actual release from their charge(s). We would rarely, if ever, get comments from a Pastor or religious person as that was considered as violating professional confidences by them. Jan

I see Nothing Wrong...

with the way you wrote the story. I'm enjoying it as I do all of your stories. In my opinion, I think that only registered members of BC should have the right to comment. That way no one could hide behind the "Guest" anonymous comment.

Diane

You Forgot One

You forget that The Mother's Lawyer would also have been notified in fact I think he would be notified before the ADA after all He is the one Defending Her. The Defense is required to be notified of all of that And should have made that motion unless that he knew she was doing this for her plea. And if he knew it or not should have notified the proper authorities cause of ethics. But there is no way to know for sure and The defense lawyer can say that info is privillage.

Kira - Chapter 9 - Sunday go to meetin' and Pastor Daly

What if Kira's mother knew that Kira was really a girl and chose to raise her as a boy because of her outward evidence of gender? That could explain her actions. Pastor Daly looks to be the type of pastor that any church needs.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine