Kira - Chapter 5 - A New Day Dawns

Printer-friendly version
Kira
Chapter V - A New Day Dawns

by Barbara Lynn Terry

Copyright © 2009 Barbara Lynn Terry

 
(Author's Note): There are some of you who have said that you think these stories I am writing take place in the Bible belt...well, they don't. I live in the upper midwest and my stories are about the areas I have lived in. For those of you not from America the midwest is the center of the United States, and is called America's Heartland. Thank you, ~Barbara
 
 
Part I - Back to School.
 
 
Daddy came in and woke us up, and said we had better hurry or we'd be late for school. I have forgotten all about school, because I had been allowed to stay home because of the transition between houses. Not to mention what mother did at her arraignment. Well, anyway, I swung my legs out from under the covers, and went to take my bath. I grabbed my rose bubble bath, when Katie said we didn't have the time for luxuries. She handed me a small round bar of soap, that smelled of roses, and she told me to use that.

After we were all showered and dressed, and daddy had set the breakfast dishes in the sink, he told us to all get in the car, because we had missed the bus. Daddy took us to school, and dropped us off a block away. Katie and I walked up to the door, and several guys were all around us.

"Hey Kate, who's your friend?"

"Why don't you ask her?"

"Hey sweets, are you new here?"

"No, I'm not, and I have heard about you. Always thinking you're all that because you're a guy. I know guys that have manners, and they use them too. You are brutish, rude, and all you are looking for is sex."

"What's wrong with that? I'm in high school aren't I, and I haven't had one girl in bed yet."

"Richard, you are too young to even know about sex, so why are you trying so hard for something you don't know anything about?"

"How can I know if I don't try it?"

"Richard, we are taught from little on, about being girls, growing up to be women. While we are being taught, we are constantly told the facts of life about what girls need to know. I know you are just a guy, but you need to settle down before that rudeness gets you in trouble you can't get out of."

"Oh yeah! Like what kind of trouble."

"Like getting a girl pregnant. You are old enough to know that when a woman is carrying a child, she has a lot of pains and emotions that go with it. And even if you walk away afterwards, they will find you and make you help raise that child. Are you ready for that?"

"Well, if you ever need a guy to do whatever, you can count on me." He left whistling to himself. I asked Katie what was his problem?

"Guys do that, sis. Even guys like Richard. Where did you learn all that what you told him?"

"From all of my friends and their parents. Mom wasn't teaching me about girl things, so I had to learn them somewhere."

"You're right, sis. But now, we live in the same house, and you can always come to me and we can talk if you want. That's one of the things sisters do for each other. Come on, or we'll be late for class. I will see you at lunch." We hugged and we got to our classes.

"Kira Spelling," the teacher called as I walked in. She was taking roll call.

"Here," I said sitting down.

"Well welcome back young lady," she said smiling, continuing taking the roll.

"Today children, we are going to study about the different ways people live in the world. There are many differences in the way different people live in their own countries or areas. For instance, right here in our own country, there are differences in how people live, eat, talk, and do things. Like in the south for instance, they have an accent that we find funny at times, they also have slang words that are really strange to us, they have a lot of orchards and cotton fields there too. The predominant religion there is what is called Southern Baptist, and they go by the Bible literally. In New England on our country's east coast, they also have an accent too, and if you don't listen properly, you may not understand them at all. Then the southern New England states have that southern accent. In Texas they have a kind of twang to their speech. In each of these areas, they have different dishes they cook and eat for meals. One of the items they eat down south is called grits, basically that is fried corn until it is white. In Massachusetts, they have a snack item called Devonshire Tea. That is just tea and rolls that are called scones with butter and jam. Devonshire Tea is pretty much a staple in England and Australia.

"So even in this country we have a diverse way of life, and yet we have common interests too. Such as the right to live free and be ourselves, the right to speak as we see fit, and even living as we do is a form of free speech, because the way we live tells others that is who we are. So class, I want you to study these last two chapters that we did, because on Monday there will be a test to see how much you are paying attention." Just then the bell rang ending the class period. "Class dismissed. Uh Kira, a word please."

"Yes, ma'am?"

"How did everything go? I was kind of worried about you while you were gone, because you were gone such a long time."

"My mother is in jail, and I am living with my father, Katie, and Danny. It makes me sad that mother was so mean to me."

"Well, I am sure that things will work themselves out. If you ever need to talk after school, you can come to me and talk. You know, you make a fine looking girl, pretty even. I know things will work out for you. Tell Katie I said hi and to stop in now and then, when she is finished with her students for the day."

"I will. I'd better get going before they get too worried and come looking for me."

"Have a good weekend,dear."

"Thanks, you too."

I just made it to my second period class. I know I listened because I took notes, but I was also thinking about what had happened in court. I couldn't remember much because of my blackout, and I must have blocked it somehow. I will talk to everybody about it when I get home.

I sat down in my third period class still thinking about everything. I took notes and I know I listened, but just as I had sat down it seemed, the bell rang ending third period. I put my books in my locker, and went to the cafeteria.

I absent mindedly took a yogurt out of the cooler, got a plastic spoon, and paid my thirty five cents. I found an empty table and sat down. Darlene, Jessica, Marla, and Josie came and sat down next to me. Josie looked at my expression, and could see that I was bothered by something.

"Kira, why so gloomy, girlfriend?"

"I have been thinking about what happened in court, all day today, and it just made my mind wander a bit. I mean, I can't remember everything, except the things I was told. I must have blocked those things out when I had my blackout."

"Girlfriend, you didn't just have a blackout, you had a very severe nervous breakdown. Girl, you are only thirteen, breakdowns like that are for parents only, those are the rules."

I couldn't help but giggle at what Marla had said. These girls really were friends, and they are always trying to cheer me up. I guess that is a good thing though. We talked about what I did at home after we got back from the courthouse. and what the latest gossip at school was, and who was signed up for this or that. We talked about what to wear this weekend, because the girls all said they were not letting me mope around the house. They were getting me out to the mall even if they had to hog tie me and carry me out. I giggled at that too. The bell rang for fifth period, and we all put our garbage and trays away and went to get our books from our lockers.

As we walked in the classroom, I noticed a new boy in the back of the class. I'm sure we will find out who he is. I sat down, and said here when I heard my name. The teacher droned on about the day's lesson, I took notes, and even though I heard him and I took my notes, he seemed like he was talking in slow motion, like in the movies. The bell rang ending fifth period, and the new boy came up to me, and asked if he could carry my books.

"I'm very capable of carrying my own books, thank you."

"Yeah, but a pretty girl like you shouldn't be carrying those though. They look awfully heavy."

"If you think these are heavy, wait until you see what I take home for homework."

"Just let me carry them for you, so we can talk."

"Seems to me that you are doing all the talking anyway. So why do you have to carry my books?"

"Kira, I'm Ken, one of your brother's friends. He asked me to look out for you. Danny is really concerned about you right now, with everything that has happened with your mother, and moving in with your father, brother and sister. I'm just a friend, nothing more."

"Nothing more, huh. Then why are you coming on like some sex starved grade schooler? Ken, is it? I can carry my own books, but if you want to walk to sixth period with me, I won't object. But I am going to talk to Danny about this tonight when I get home."

"He's just worried about you. He thought since I was going to be in your classes I could look out for you."

"She has four friends right here that are looking out for her," Darlene said clutching her books tightly to her chest and a scowl on her face. "I hope your story checks out, buster, because Danny doesn't like guys harrassing his little sister."

"I'm not harrassing her. Danny did ask me to watch out for her, because she has been in a funk since coming home from the courthouse. He is just worried about her."

"Well then, she has five friends that can walk with her, and there is no need to carry her books, unless she wants you to."

There was that dejected look on Ken's face, as we walked to sixth period. I wonder what is going on in that slinky head of his. The rest of the day went as the rest, and when we were getting our books to take home for homework, Ken came to my locker.

"Are you sure you don't want me to help you carry those heavy books for you?"

"Quite sure." He wasn't giving up. Marla stepped in front of him, blocking him from me.

"Mister, I suggest you make like the wind and blow. When Danny hears what you've been trying, you will be lucky if you can still walk."

"I haven't been trying anything. All I asked was is if I could carry her books."

"Then what? A kiss, putting your hand up her dress, holding her around the waist?"

"No, no, nothing like that. Danny would have me as an entrá¨e on a silver platter. Look, I'm sorry if I seem to be coming on strong, I just ..."

"How old are you Ken? Thirteen, fourteen? Why is it boys our age seem to be so sex crazy lately? You can tell us, we'll understand. We'll call you a sleaze, but we'll understand." Jessica was really making poor Ken feel very uncomfortable. Just then Danny showed up.

"Hey Ken, why so green looking? These girls haven't been giving you a hard time. Have they?"

"A hard time Danny, is an understatement. He was trying his best to pick up your sister."

"No I wasn't. All I asked her was if I could carry her books. And I am fourteen."

"Girls, Ken is from down state a ways. His parents just moved here. So, he doesn't know that the carry the books line is considered flirting here. Ken, Kira gets a little defensive if she thinks a guy is trying to pick her up. She's been through more than most girls her age. Just help these girls keep an eye out."

"Okay, I guess I can do that."
 
 
Part II - The Bus Ride Home.
 
 
We all got on the school bus, and took our seats. What was nice about this bus was the way the other students let us all sit together. We talked about poor Ken, who takes another bus.

"Can you think of any reason, any reason at all, why I should let Ken carry my books? I thought I saw that "go steady with me" look in his eyes when he kept asking me. And he never let up either. Down state, huh? I bet he's from the "city" and he is just a tad more experienced in sex things than we are."

"Yes, but girlfriend, you put him in his place, and now that Danny knows, I don't think Ken will try that again. He was persistent I will give him that."

"Yes, Marla, he was that. But it was also most nauseating too. I mean," I stuck my finger in my mouth like I was gagging, "he thinks that all girls want is sex from guys. Well this girl is keeping her knees together." The others exchanged glances, and they beamed when I said that. Jessica whispered.

"You are now one of us, girlfriend, because now you have learned, grasshopper." We all giggled, because only we could hear what Jessica said.

"Do you have to go right home?"

"No, I can call daddy and tell him I'm at your house. I just need to give him the phone number." I told the driver that we were doing a group study thing and I would be getting off at Jessica's stop. She just waved back without taking her eyes off of the road. The bus stopped at four stops before letting us off. It took ninety minutes for us to get to Jessica's. The bus stopped two blocks from her house, and we kinda just skipped the rest of the way. It is nice to have friends to do things silly with at times.

We walked in the house, and Jessica told her mother she was home, and that we were going to study in her room. She came out of the kitchen, and when she saw me, she said it was about time I was dressing like a girl. She said not to make too much noise, and we went to Jessica's room. Jessica had a phone in her room, so I called daddy but he wasn't home yet. Katie said she would tell him, but that I had to be home for dinner, and maybe I could go back to study with the girls. By the time I had finished one chapter, it was time for me to leave. I asked if I could keep my books there, because I would be coming back after I had my dinner. Jessica said it was fine because they all had to go home to eat too. We all lived in the same area, and our houses were in walking distance from each others.

I walked home, and I had a kind of smile on my face, because I went right past the house mother and I had lived in. What she didn't know was, that daddy, Katie, and Danny lived just around the corner and two blocks up. She never knew that daddy's address was so near, and to be honest, I don't think she cared. When I got home, daddy was just getting out of the car.

"Hey there, punkin, how was school?"

"Just fine, daddy. Daddy? I left my books at Jessica's. So may I go back after dinner and finish studying with the group?"

"I don't see why not. I would like to meet this group though. Are they nice girls?"

"How did you know they were girls, daddy?"

"My little Kira studies with boys? No. How did you meet this group?"

"When I was still living with mother. They saw I was sad about not being able to dress and act as me, and they asked me what was wrong. They said if it was because I was new, they would be my friends. When they found out that I am transgendered they still said they would be my friends. We had our first study group that day I called you and said mother had hit me. They don't live that far from here either."

"Well, do you mind if I walk with you? I would like to meet these young ladies. Whose house are you studying at?"

"Her name is Jessica, and there are five of us. There's Jessica of course, then Darlene, Marla, Josie and me. We study, talk girl talk, do our nails for the next day, and listen to music."

"Sounds like you found a good group of friends."

"Yes daddy. So may I go back after dinner to study?"

"Yes, punkin, you may, but I am going with you though. Does Jessica live with her parents?"

"Just her mother. She's very sweet daddy, you have to meet her."

"You aren't trying to matchmake into a relationship, are you?"

"Oh daddy! How could you think such a thing?" I said, with a mischievous smile.



To Definitely Be Continued in Chapter Five - The Trial Begins...
 

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

While

While i agree that some boys want only sex, not all are like that. Kira and her friends should give somebody a chance. Richard was sex-starved boy but Ken don't need to be. When i read this part about ken i was feeling that kira and her friends have something agains other boys(all boys) from school.

next chapter,please

Apparently

you misread what I wrote. Read it again. It wasn't inferring that Ken was sex starved, it was the female in Kira that was actually digging her nails in. I guess as a guy you aren't familiar with that part of a female's attitude. Hmmm maybe you should be.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Considering the reader profile

In here I don't think that guest1 is a guy .Guest1 didn't state s/he was a guy and you just jumped into a conclusion that s/he is.

Anyway I do agree it seems like Kira and her friends were a bit (well a lot) over the top with her reaction . Even if ken was flirting and you aren't interested it doesn't say he is an asshole , and impaling that he was just thinking about sex is even worse(and in my eyes shows something about the character of Kira and her friends , and not something nice by a long shot).

Another possibility...

Ken was trying to be helpful, but, being a typical teenage boy, couldn't take the not-so-subtle hints that Kira (and friends) didn't want him around.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Yes I misread

Ok so i misread , yes, my mistake i agree. I just wrote my first feelings after i ended reading this chapter. I simply think that girls could handle it more diplomatic.

As a woman (and formerly a teenaged girl) ...

... i didn't see anything in Ken's behavior that would have justified the over-the-top reaction of every girl in Kira's orbit, either.

I do hope that somewhere along the line, they all stop seeing boys as the enemy, as if they're just some sort of sub-human Morlock species with only one thing on their minds. Most girls don't see them that way -- they're just guys, and you make allowances. *smiles* And sometimes, being desired feels good, too. That's just another part of being female, being wanted and admired, that Kira and her friends should probably think about embracing, too, instead of tarring all males with the same testosterone-soaked brush. *grin*

Randa

Since When?

NoraAdrienne's picture

Then the southern New England states have that southern accent.

Ah dohn tawk with ah Suthun Accent. NYC is in a class by itself. LOL

Myabe it's the parent in me....I don't know...

Andrea Lena's picture

....but I hope Kira spends the next few weeks just getting to enjoy being a girl...and maybe some of the moms of her girlfriends can take her under their wings...Excellent story, dear one. Thank you!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I'm wondering why the girls

I'm wondering why the girls and especially Kira did not apologise to Ken after Danny explained to them about him. All of them had "badmouthed" Ken, but Kira was the worst. Somehow she and her 5 girl friends need to be sat down by Katie and be given some girl lessons that are not against the males of the species. Not every male is out to have sex with them as they seem to think and believe. Jan

A possible explanation is

That they have this 'protectiveness' in high gear because of what Kira had to endure. The girls are all determined to give Kira the best possible time after her being detained with mother for so long, and are following suit with her reaction to Ken. Kira herself is determined to not have anyone impose their will on her and evaluated first lines Ken said as practically just that. So it's more of a case of a poor first impression and, had Danny introduced Ken to the girls beforehand, it would not have likely happened.

Also, it is sometimes difficult to acknowledge one's own mistakes.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

KIRA

good chapter

Confused...

I'm liking the story so far, though I haven't finished this chapter just yet. I'm commenting before I finish because I am confused. Was chapter 3 changed at some point? This chapter references things that supposedly happened at the arraignment, but I have no recollection of. What did mother do at the arraignment (mentioned after waking up in the morning)? When did Kira black out?

Thanks. Keep up the good tale.

Kira - Chapter 5 - A New Day Dawns

Kira's attitude about boys is leading her friends into grouping all boys but her dad and brother into the same group of cavemen. Hopefully, they will give Ken a chance.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Kira's brother came to Ken's defense

I think Kira's brother set them straight & Ken too by claiming a cultural difference that the girls took the wrong way, no, I think ken had more or less honerable intention even as a 14 yr old boy... (smiles)

Devonshire

Alice-s's picture

Ok. I gotta say something here. Devon is not a part of the shires. It's just called Devon and the people who live there are Devonians. Devonshire tea might be an American thing, but Devonians have creme tea. Take a scone and warm it in the oven. Just warm. Now take clotted creme and, having cut the scone in two, dollop it in the scone halves. Next dollop some strawberry jam on top. Yum.

I should point out that there is a thing about putting jam on gift or not. It's a Devon/Cornwall thing.

Under no circumstances are you to use butter.

Rant over.

Well, here in Derbyshire ...

... we have the Cavendishes who live at Chatsworth and the head of the family is the Duke of Devonshire. I'm not sure but I think there was a mistake made in the distant past and he should have been the Duke of Derbyshire but ...

R