Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 847.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 847
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The rest of the evening was spent in wrapping and hiding presents from their intended recipient, including the two computers in the attic room, which now were placed in my locked wardrobe. A sure giveaway to clever clogs like my girls, but I kept the key in my purse–something which they knew was out of bounds to them without permission.

The next morning, instead of shopping, I was preparing the larger of the two attic rooms for our visitors, I put two single beds in there deciding that as they were only temporary, they would be better together. All this took me until midmorning, when I stopped for a well earned cuppa and a quick rest. Stella had the three girls with her, she was trimming their hair and adding some colour, in Trish’s case, she was colouring her hair quite a lot, to minimise any recognition by her previous housemates. They were told we were having some other children to stay over Christmas but nothing else.

I made up some extra bread and a big pot of chicken and vegetable soup, with noodles and old bike parts to thicken it up. Simon and Tom had gone to get the tree in Tom’s car. The rooms in Tom’s farmhouse are big and high ceilinged probably about nine or ten feet high compared to seven foot something in today’s rabbit hutches. The tree would need to be about eight feet to have the effect I wanted, and I brought out the decorations from last year plus some new ones I’d recently got–I hoped we had enough. Simon had checked the lights last night and they were working then, but I’m well aware they can give troubles when they feel like it.

Tom would collect the bikes from the shop on Christmas Eve and they’d be locked in the garage, where I hoped I’d have enough time to assemble them, assuming I’d guessed right for their sizes.

Leon had gone with Simon and Tom to collect the tree and he was quite excited by it, they only had a little one at home. After a quick conflab with Tom and Simon, I decided to invite his mum and him for Christmas and Boxing Days, which should also mean we wouldn’t be eating turkey for the next fortnight. I called the butcher and changed my order to one about the size of an ostrich.

I’d also put in a large order to Waitrose to deliver me enough vegetables and bread to feed us for a week. Simon would invite Leon, who would have to share with the other boys, and his mum could have the other guest room–I just hoped she would be able to climb the stairs.

The pantry was stuffed full of all sorts of edibles and the double sized fridge seemed full of chocolate, cooked meat and milk. I checked the thing was still working and was relieved it and the two freezers were in good order. I would ask Tom to check the generator was okay as well–in case of power cuts.

I tidied myself up and the girls came waltzing into the bedroom looking very glammed up. Trish was barely recognisable as the little waif who joined us some months ago, and she looked so real as a girl, no one would guess she was anything but a natural one. The other two looked different too, and Livvie, ever the show-woman, had got Stella to use a temporary hair dye and now had bright pink hair. My eyes probably came out on stalks but I desperately pretended not to notice anything outlandish about her. She was definitely miffed by that, but I knew Simon and Tom would make up for my deficits.

The soup was done, I had a whole new loaf cooling, plus a tray of a dozen rolls baking in the oven–all I needed now was mouths to feed. I checked the table in the dining room opened out it would seat up to fourteen, we didn’t quite need that, but I anticipated Nora staying as well. I hoped I had enough soup.

I heard wheels in the drive and saw a large Christmas tree driving an estate car. The boys were back. I asked Trish to get ready to open the door for them and to be ready to run the vacuum over the floor after they got the tree in place.

The roots of the tree were wrapped in a plastic bag and bound with tape, I hoped the pot they had would be big enough–Tom and Leon had cleaned it up and rolled it in from the shed earlier, and then half filled it with a mixture of sand and compost.

They brought the tree in as I took the rolls out of the oven, so I closed the kitchen door. Mima could still be heard as could Simon when he saw Livvie’s hair. “Gee-zuz, girl, what happened to your hair? You look like a walking candy-floss.” Fortunately, they all thought that was funny and I could hear them laughing.

They got the tree in place in the corner of the lounge, where the pot stood on a plastic sheet, and fifteen minutes later they had barely finished when Nora arrived. I opened the door to Nora holding the hands of two young boys.

“Lady Cameron, this is Danny and Billy,” she said and I nodded to them, they looked away.

“In you come, lunch is ready, Livvie, could you show Danny and Billy where they could wash their hands.” They followed the pink haired elf, who now had one of those reindeer antler hair bands on as well. It rather clashed with the colour of her hair, but the two boys were open mouthed and probably thought this was the local asylum. It wasn’t of course we were far too crazy for them.

Trish was still busy with the vacuum so hadn’t seen our two arrivals, until she put the cleaner away as they were coming out of the cloakroom. I saw her expression as she recognised them, but they didn’t seem to know her.

She washed her hands in the kitchen and asked me what the boys were doing with us. I explained that they were the ones we’d been asked to put up over Christmas. I also explained that Leon and his mum were probably staying, and that Pippa and her two boys were coming for dinner on Christmas day, so we’d have a real houseful.

“Why did we have to have those two?” she asked me.

“What difference does it make?”

“They used to bully me.”

“No, they used to bully Patrick, they won’t bully Trish: firstly, because Trish is stronger and cleverer than them, and secondly, there will be a whole pile of adults here to make sure it doesn’t happen.”

“What if they do, Mummy?” she said in a whiny voice so unlike her usual one.

“They won’t even recognise you, you look so different to when you first came to stay with me. All they’ll see is the lovely young lady, who also happens to be my daughter.”

“One day, I will be–properly.” Her eyes filled with tears and it tore at my heart.

“I shall do everything I can to make it so, my darling. C’mon, dry your hands and let’s go and feed the troops.

At lunch, it became obvious that the two newcomers were afraid of Leon, who being six or so years older, was much bigger, although they didn’t allow it to impair their appetites. They looked at the three girls and appeared not to know any of them. So far so good.

After we cleared up, and I made all the kids help, bringing dishes and cutlery to the kitchen, I announced that they were all going to give Tom and Simon a hand to decorate the tree. The three girls danced around in excitement, while Leon looked a bit bored by the whole idea. However, he would be the one who would be expected to go up the stepladder to arrange the lights and put the fairy on the top.

Nora and I discussed contingencies in case it didn’t work, and I put the emergency number on my cell phone. She gave me the papers with some background on both of them–“Danny has been abused, so he can be a bit awkward.”

“Okay, I’ll try and keep an eye on him. Was he the one who picked on Patrick?”

“Amongst others, but he doesn’t seem to recognise Trish, mind you I hardly did after her hair colouring. That was clever, but, your other girl–that’s a bit OTT isn’t it?”

“Livvie loves to shock, mind you Trish is a past master at it too. However, if we’d done Trish in the pink, she’d have been more visible and therefore more potentially identifiable.”

“No, do you remember when she told me that she never went to my home, that was Patrick, she’s someone different–I believe she really is, she has come on so well since she’s been with you.”

“I told you I’ve started adoption procedures with all three of them?”

“Yes, how’s it going?”

“I’ve heard nothing recently, but I don’t expect to before Christmas.”

“It would have made a lovely Christmas present for all of you.”

“It would indeed, but I’d rather not rush things and get it right first time.”

“If I can help, you know as a professional reference, just let me know.”

“That would be brilliant, Nora, any chance of a letter?”

“I can only do one for Trish, but I hope it will help give a good impression of who you are and how well you’ve looked after her. I must go, Merry Christmas, Cathy.” We hugged and she left after unloading her car of the cases and presents the boys brought with them.

“You were joking about bikes, weren’t you?” She said as she got in her car.

“No, they’ll be here on Christmas eve, Giants I think.”

“I hope they don’t give you any trouble.”

“I’ve got the emergency social services number if we can’t resolve it. When will you collect them?”

“Does January the fourth sound okay?”

“I suppose so.” She nodded and drove off.

It was too late to go shopping now, so I thought I’d go and watch them messing with the tree and make drinks and mince pies for them. What do I get myself into, with my big mouth.”

Simon came out to see where I was, he picked up the cases and took them indoors. “Right, they can carry these up to their room by themselves. Danny, Billy take these up to your room. Trish, show them where it is will you.”

I was about to suggest I showed them, but Trish sighed and led them up the stairs.
“Danny has a history of abuse and can be awkward,” I said quietly to Simon.

“If he gets awkward here, he’s out. I’ll go up and make him aware of that,” Simon hissed back through his teeth.

“He also bullied Patrick.”

“He’d better not try it here, or I’ll make him wish he hadn’t started.” Simon turned to go up the stairs.

“I don’t think he will.” I hoped my confidence wasn’t misplaced.

“Hmm we’ll see,” said Simon as he trotted up the stairs after them.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Pre Teen Boys = Big trouble

Pre Teen Boys = Big trouble ! What was Cathy thinking about ????

Briar

Briar

Cathy's Christmas

With her family and guests will surely test her if anything goes awry. But I suspect that Danny will learn a lot while there.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Is was not one of her stellar moments was it?

Having adopted one lovely daughter, whom I dearly love but will never see again, I don't think I would have put anyone in the house that would likely disturb the proper birth order. I wonder what magic Angharad has in store for them?

Gwen

The best present

for Auntie Angharad would be to smoothen some of the rocks from her life-path. The best present for all of us whom she has touched with her stories, is, of course, to read the continuing adventures from Angharad's prolific keyboard.

Chris.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I live by man‛s code, designed to fit a man‛s world, yet I never forget that a woman‛s first job is to choose the right shade of lipstick. [Carole Lombard.]

Sounds like things may...

begin to "hop" more than they had before. If that's possible.

Sooner or later, our authors will have one or the other of the boys recognize the resemblance between Trish & Patrick. One wonders if there's a reason the boy was "abused"... And, whether he's suppressed his real self (denial) so as to avoid the abuse, and thus why he took it out on Patrick.

Enough speculation. I do look forward to seeing how this all plays out.

Thanks,
Annette

You're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting?

Hmm...the possibility of three TGs in the same house - interesting idea.

At least Cathy's unlikely to ask the residents of Penmarris Cove to visit!
 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Maybe it's not a good

idea to let Simon go upstairs after the boys.....After all he's not noted for saying the right things is he!!!!

Kirri

Chaotic Christmas Ahead!

Adults: Tom, Cathy, Simon, Stella, Pippa, Leon's Mum.
Children: Livvie, Trish, Mima, Puddin', Danny, Billy, Leon, and Pippa's two boys.

Six adults and nine children of various ages.

Ouch. As if it wasn't enough of a madhouse...

All we need now is for Neal and Gloria to invite themselves along as well...
 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I dunno if I'd...

always classify Stella or Simon as adults... (All the time). :-) (Can say that for Cathy occasionally as well.. Or even me. LOL )

But, be that as it may, even if you count Leon as an adult (LOL), the adults are greatly outnumbered, just by Cathy's three girls alone.

I don't know about all of

I don't know about all of this, as far as I can tell, there are only 4 that I would call adults going to be in the house. Cathy, Pippa, Leon's Mum and Tom. Everyone else are children, with Simon and Stella being BIG children. :) I still think Livvie will take on the two boys if they start on Trish after one or both realize who she is. Jan

I am not a book keeper

I suspect the boys are there to stay. We shall see.

I also suspect with the relaxation of a happy home Trish will get an apology.

And the family grows, with no pregnancy

The boys will find out who Trish is.
Simon will scare the s**t out of them, but Leon is the one who will keep the boys behaving, or else!
064.JPG
One more time, Tom take note.

Cefin

And the family grows, with no pregnancy

The boys will find out who Trish is.
Simon will scare the s**t out of them, but Leon is the one who will keep the boys behaving, or else!
064.JPG
One more time, Tom take note.

Cefin