TWINS - Part 5 - Finale

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

They say that, somewhere in the world, everybody has a twin.
Nothing was said about the sex of that twin…………

Part 5 - Finale

The Hospital - A surprise during surgery & Taking care of friends

Story:

TWINS
By Karen J. Taylor
Copyright 2006 by author

If you haven't already, please read parts 1 - 4 first.

Standard Disclaimer: This story is a work of fiction, any resemblance to persons living, dead, or recently thought of indicates either A. you have a vivid imagination, or B. you are in serious need of psychological counseling. Song lyrics used under the Fair Use Doctrine are copyrighted by their respective groups, including Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin. Names have been changed to protect the innocent, the insolent, and the guilty. Void where prohibited by law. Your mileage may vary. Not responsible for debts other than my own. No deposit, no return. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. It's only a movie. The smoker you drink, the player you get. Objects in t-shirt are larger than they appear. Caution, contents may be hot. Do not attempt to exit vehicle while in motion. Please fasten your seatbelts and ensure that your seatbacks and trays are in an upright and locked position. Have a nice day.

----------------------------------------------------

They say that, somewhere in the world, everybody has a twin.
Nothing was said about the sex of that twin…………

Part 5 - Finale

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We got to the hospital, I was admitted, and a nurse's aid took me in a wheelchair to my room. There was a hospital gown laying on the bed, not the usual open in the back style, but one with an overlapping front closing. This made sense, as they’d want to be looking at my front.

I got undressed and put it on, while Kathy put away my clothes, and hung my robe by the bed. She put Brittany’s picture on the table where I could see it, and stacked some of the books next to it, along with my MP3 player and headphones.

About then a nurse came in with a tray and asked Kathy to leave.

“How are you feeling,” she glanced at the chart, “Karielle, that’s a pretty name.”

“Fine, I think,” I replied

“Nervous?”

“Yes, a little.”

“That’s to be expected.” She then did a through workup on me, not even commenting on my barely there breasts and now-tiny penis. She filled a pan on the tray with warm water and picked up a razor and shaving cream.

“Time to clean you up. Would you rather I had an orderly do this” she asked

“No, you’re fine” She lathered up my pubic hair and deftly shaved everything clean.

She stepped into the bathroom and washed her hands then returned and picked up a syringe.

“Now roll over.” She gave me a shot in the rear, “Wait, there’s another,” and injected me a second time, on the other side.

“Roll back.” She then put an IV line in my left arm, taping it down, and injected something else through it.

“Lie back now and relax, your doctors will be in later to see you.” I sank back into the pillows as she left the room.

Kathy was waiting outside, the nurse told her “I’ve given her a sedative, she’ll be out of it for awhile. You can come back later if you like.”

“I’ll wait with her, if it’s alright.”

“Sure, just don’t disturb her,” the nurse replied.

Some unmeasured time later, I heard Dr. Hanson’s voice, “This is our girl. Kari, are you there?”

I opened my eyes, not without some effort, and saw her, along with several men in white coats.

“This is Dr. Caldwell, your surgeon, and Dr. Phillips, from the prosthetics company. They need to exam you.”

“okay” My gown was opened and they went to work. They had some kind of markers, and they proceeded to make lines on my chest, belly and pubic area. I didn’t understand, or even catch most of what was said, but could tell they were pleased with what they saw.

Dr. Caldwell made some notations on my chart and told the nurse who’d come in during all this, “Broth only for dinner, no liquids after 9 PM.”

“Yes, doctor.”

Turning to me, “Karielle, everything looks excellent. We’ll see you in the morning.”

“okay”

I roused myself somewhat when dinner was brought in, Kathy had to help me, as I was having problem finding my mouth with the spoon. At 8:30, the nurse informed Kathy she had to leave.

“Guess I have to sleep by myself,” I complained, and the nurse and Kathy laughed.

Kathy gave me a kiss, “I’ll see you in the morning before you go in.”

“I want a wakeup kiss in the morning”, I told her.

“Promise” she replied.

Just before 9 the nurse came in, “Here, have a drink of water. I have to take it now”. I sipped some and swirled it around in my mouth before swallowing it. She then injected something in my IV line and the last thing I remember is her turning out the light as she left.

I woke the next morning to see the nurse hanging an IV bottle next to my bed.

“Kathy?”

“She’s right outside,” the nurse said. “I made her wait.”

“Meany,” I said.

“Yep, that’s my middle name.” She left and Kathy came in, coming straight over to the bed and giving me a kiss.

“Ummh! If we could put those in bottles and sell them, we’d make a mint,” I told her.

“Flattery will get you everywhere!” and she smiled down at me.

“It’s about time for you to go,” she said. “I’ll be waiting for you to get out. See you in recovery,” and she gave me another kiss and left.

The nurse came back in with a gurney, and pulled back the sheets. Popping the Velcro seams on the gown, she pulled it off me, then assisted me to the gurney, where she pulled a sheet over me. Then she gathered up my hair and put in under a cap, and hung the IV on the stand.

Opening the door, she admitted two orderlies who wheeled me out and down the hall. Several turns and we went through a large set of double doors. I was then transferred to a table, and things were clipped to my arm and stuck to my chest.

A man in a mask came up and leaned over me “Hi, I’m Steve, and I’ll be your anesthesiologist today. I’m going to place this mask on your face, and I want you to count backwards from a hundred.”

“One hundred, ninty-n…”

Kathy: After they took Kari away, the nurse came up and took me down the hall to the surgical waiting area, and handed me a pager.

“The surgery is going to take several hours. If you have to leave the room for any reason, we’ll beep you if we need you.”

I sat down and picked up a magazine. Some time later, I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up, it was Suzanne.

“Thought you shouldn’t have to wait alone.” I gave her hand a squeeze and whispered thanks.

“Did you know the magazine you were reading was upside down?”

“What?” I looked, and she was right. I laughed a little shakily, “I’m a fine one, aren’t I”.

After awhile, Suzanne went and got drinks for us, and then I had to go to the Ladies. I was just washing my hands when the pager went off, and I almost tore the door down getting back.

Dr. Hanson was standing there in scrubs with her mask pulled down. Suzanne came up and put her arm around my shoulder. Dr. Hanson glanced at her.

“This is Suzanne Thomas, our neighbor.”

“Oh, yes, I remember. Kathy, something’s come up. I told you Kari’s ovaries were irreparably damaged, and that she couldn’t have children.

“Yes?”

“Well that’s still true. But, her uterus has responded well to the treatments (meaning the hormones - Kathy), and I believe she could still bear a child if a fertilized egg were implanted.”

“Oh, wow!”

“The problem is, we were planning on reinforcing her abdominal muscle with a sheet of surgical fabric. But if we do that now, it would interfere with a pregnancy later. There’s another material we can use, that degrades over time, but it’s not as strong, and her recovery will take longer. We had no idea or we’d have asked before surgery. It’s your decision, you’re her next of kin.”

I was torn, I selfishly wanted her healed as quickly as possible. But, to have a child…?

I looked at Suzanne. She gave me a hug, and mouthed “Brittany”. Yes, given the chance, Kari would want to try, I was sure. And I had plenty of eggs.

“Give her the chance,” I said.

“Alright” Dr. Hanson said. “And I think you’re making the right decision. On a bright note, Dr. Miller’s team has already finished, they are very pleased with the results. And Dr. Caldwell was able to expand Kari’s stomach, using some of the large intestine. She’ll be able to eat more normally after she heals up.”

“How much longer,” I asked.

“A couple more hours. I’ve got to get back in there now.”

I turned to Suzanne, “She can have a baby, can you believe that!”

“I think you made the right decision,” Suzanne said. “Just watching her with Brits the last couple of days, I know she’d be an excellent mother. Look, I have to go, Brit will be getting out of school soon. Call me as soon as she’s out of surgery.”

“I will.” She gave me another hug, and left.

Kari: The next thing I remember, Kathy was leaning over me.

“Hey” I said, or tried.

“Hey yourself, about time you woke up” Kathy said.

“Er-thin’ ok?” I asked.

“Great! It went well!” she said.

“Call Cinny”

“Right, I will. Kari, I’ve got news for you, good news! Your uterus is ok, you could have a baby!”

“Huh? Don’ unnerstan”

“I’ll explain later.”

“Wait” and I tried to sit up, which was a mistake.

“Not so fast!” the nurse said. I saw her slip something into my IV, and I was out again.

When I woke up the next time, I could see I was back in my room. It was dark outside, I could tell, and only a small lamp lit the room. I looked over and saw Kathy asleep in the chair. At first I was annoyed, then I realized it had been a long day for her.

My mouth and throat were dry, and I didn’t see any water, so I hit the call button. Kathy woke up when the nurse came in.

“What can I do for you,” the nurse asked.

“Water?”

“Sure, just a minute.” She poured a glass from a pitcher out of sight behind me, put a straw in it and held it to my lips.

“Slowly now, just a sip” I sipped gratefully, never knew water could taste so good. I took a second sip, then the nurse put the glass away.

“That’s all for now. How do you feel?”

“Like a mule kicked me.”

“That’s to be expected. I’ll have something for you for the pain in a bit. I’ll be back,” and she left.

I looked over at Kathy, who was smiling at me.

“What do you remember,” she asked.

“I was dreaming,” I said. “You told me I could have children.”

“That wasn’t a dream,” Kathy said. “You can, if you want to.”

“How?”

“It seems that, although your ovaries are damaged, your uterus is in good shape. They don’t know how, or why. But if you want to have a baby, a fertilized egg could be implanted in your uterus and you could bear a child normally."

"Kari, I had to make a decision. In order to allow that to happen, the doctors had to change their plans. Your recovery time is going to be a lot longer then it would have been. But I thought you’d want the chance.”

I lay there gaping at her, trying to wrap my head around what she was telling me. I could be a mother?

“Kari, did I do right?” and I could hear a note of fear in her voice.

“Come over here and give me a kiss, and I’ll show you just how right you did,” I told her.

We had just gotten properly started when the nurse came back in. “I hate to break this up, but Kari needs to rest. And you need to go home,” she said, looking pointedly at Kathy.

“But I just woke up,” I protested.

“And you’ll be going right back to sleep,” she said.

I woke up confused Friday morning. Had it all been a dream? I couldn’t be sure. I glanced over at Brittany’s picture. There was a note struck to it, in Kathy’s firm handwriting it said “It wasn’t a dream!” Oh, wow!

Just then a nurse came in, “How are you feeling this morning?”

“Pretty sore, actually”

“You’re going to be sore for a while, the surgery was a lot more extensive than was planned. But I understand it went really well.”

“Yeah, I’d have to say so.” She checked my vitals and started to leave.

“Hey, when can I eat?”

“You’re eating right now” she said, pointing at the IV.

“Not that again! I mean real food!”

“That’s up to the doctor, she’ll be here later.”

“Oh, some things arrived for you,” she said with a grin, as an orderly wheeled in a cart covered with flowers and plants. She directed the orderly in placing the flowers around the room.

“And this was hand-delivered by the pretty little girl in your picture there,” and she gave me a drawing. It showed a little brown-haired girl holding the hand of a tall yellow-haired woman. Printed underneath it said “I love you Kari! Get well soon! Brittany” “Soon!” was underlined. By any reasonable artistic standard it would be considered lousy, but I thought it was beautiful!

“Can I tape that up for you,” the nurse asked.

“Yes, right there where I can see it please,” pointing at the wall opposite my bed.

After the nurse left, I decided to explore myself a bit. Lifting the sheet with my right hand, I saw the protrusions where my new breasts had to be. They were bigger than I expected, then realized that part of the bulk was the bandages. I couldn’t see past them, but some exploring with my hand told me that my waist down was heavily bandaged, and various tubes ran under the bandages. There was a strange feeling in my groin, of something inside of me. I realized that this was where my vagina would be located. That was certainly a new feeling!

Dr. Hanson came in a few minutes later. Looking around at all the flowers she commented, “My, isn’t somebody popular!”

“I’m amazed,” I told her. “I’ve only known most of those people a couple of weeks, and I already have more friends than I ever did.”

“That’s because this is the real you,” she said. “When you like yourself, people will like you.”

“Let’s take a look,” she said, pulling a screen around the bed. A nurse came in and joined her, and she pulled the sheet down. She started by removing the bandages covering my breasts. Wow, they looked good! Dr. Hanson examined the incisions, which were out of my view.

“Excellent. I think just lightly bandage the incision area,” she told the nurse. Taking a pointer of some sort from her pocket, she touched each breast in various places, “Can you feel that?” Each time I responded yes. Finally she gently stroked my nipples and I moaned slightly.

“No need to ask if you felt that,” she said, and the nurse giggled a bit.

Proceeding further down, she asked me “Did Kathy explain about this?”

“Yes, but I’m not sure I understand,” I told her.

“To tell the truth, we don’t fully understand either. Let me look at this then we can talk.” She undid the bandage covering my stomach, revealing a long incision covered with some kind of gauze-like material.

“That looks good, Paul did his usual excellent work. I’ll want a light bandage over that, for protection.”

Looking at me, she said “You won’t be doing any sit-ups for a while.”

And finally down to the area that started all this. When she unbandaged the area, I couldn’t see anything for my breasts.

“This all look good. Dr. Caldwell actually had to do very little here, as both your urinary tracts existed in parallel. All we had to do was open up the female opening and seal the no longer used male part. Your clitoris will be tender for sometime, but I don’t expect you to be testing it anytime soon. I have a tampon inserted in your vagina to keep it open while it heals. That will need to be changed on a regular basis for the next 7-10 days. I’ll remove these tubes, then we can leave this unbandaged.

"Get used to a bedpan,” she told me, “it’s one of the indignities we women have to put up with."

"Let’s change this now,” she told the nurse. The sensation was strange when she removed the old one and inserted the new.

“You feel that?” she asked me.

“Yes I did, a bit odd.”

“I suppose it is, to you. But that‘s another good sign.”

Dr. Hanson busied herself with my chart while the nurse placed the new bandages. After she finished and left, Dr. Hanson set the chart down.

“You have a few questions I suppose.”

“You could say that,” I said. “How is it that I can have a functioning uterus after all these years. And why is my body reacting so quickly to the estrogen treatments?”

“Frankly, Kari, I don’t know. My guess, and it’s only a guess, is that you’ve been making enough estrogen all along that it’s kept your body “primed”, so to speak, to switch over. When you body stopped making testosterone after your accident, it was like releasing the brake on your female side. Then when I started your hormone treatment, your body went into overdrive.”

“Your slender build, lack of a protruding Adam’s apple, your voice, and overall general appearance tend to bear this out.”

“And I can have children?”

“Not exactly. More accurately, you can carry a child. Your ovaries are non-functional. But we were surprised to find that your uterus is healthy and appears fully functional. If a fertilized embryo were inserted into your uterus, it should develop normally. You would experience all the aspects of a normal pregnancy."

"We had to have a decision right away, though. The material we were planning on using to reinforce your abdominal muscles would have prevented your uterus from expanding normally as the fetus grew. The material we ended up using will slowly degrade over the next year. But it’s not as strong, so you’re going to be longer healing. Kathy had about two minutes to make a decision.”

“She made the right decision, and I’ve already told her so. Maybe I won’t ever do it, but I have a choice, thanks to Kathy. And to you and Dr. Caldwell. Thank you both.” Dr. Hanson nodded.

“Now, when can I get up?”

“Maybe in a day or so. That incision is very similar to a c-section incision, by the way. The gauze over it is a new material that just came into use. You should heal with no visible scarring. You’ll be able to wear crop tops and bikinis,” she added with a grin.

“That certainly makes me feel better,” I said.

“Also, Dr. Caldwell rearranged things internally, your waist may actually get an inch or so smaller.”

“Now, what about eating,” I asked.

“Good news, bad news. Dr. Caldwell was able to use a piece of your large intestine to expand the size of your stomach. Your intake will be closer to normal. In other words, you’ll be able to eat more at a sitting.”

“And the bad news?”

“Your choices will be limited for a while, while your stomach heals. Mainly broths, that sort of thing.” I groaned.

“Yes, I know. But it is temporary. Also, due to your previous loss of some of your intestine, you won’t derive as much nutrition from your food. In short, you’ll be able to eat more without worrying about gaining weight. A problem most girls would kill to have,” she said. “In fact, I’ll be prescribing dietary supplements for you. Any other questions?”

“I’m sure there will be, but not right now,” I said.

“Then I’ll be back tomorrow to check on you.”

“Thanks, doctor.”

After she left the nurse came back in.

“Did you bring any comfortable bras with you? she asked.

“In my suitcase, in the closet.” The nurse got one out, along with a fresh pair of panties and a nightgown.

“I think you’ll be more comfortable in these. I’m going to give you a sponge bath, then we’ll get you dressed.”

The sponge bath was nice, but getting the clothes on was tougher. She rigged a bar over the bed, and I had to pull myself up whenever she needed to shift things under me. I was sore when we finished, but I felt so much better in my own clothes.

“Now, how do you feel about visitors?”

“I think I’m ready.”

“We’ll start letting them in, two at a time, but you’re to tell us if you get tired.”

The first one in, of course, was Kathy. After a long soft kiss, she gave me a manila envelope full of cards from various people.

“I can’t believe all these people care about me,” I told her.

“Well, believe it.” While I read through the cards, Kathy took the gift cards from the flowers, noting on the back who sent what.

“I’ll bring some thank you cards tomorrow, you can fill them out while you’re lying there.”

“I had a long talk with Dr. Hanson today, she explained everything to me," I told her. "As much as they know, anyway. At the risk of repeating myself, you made the right decision. I know it was a tough one. I love you.”

That, of course, demanded another kiss! After we finished, I told her I’d been cleared for visitors, “so pass the word around”.

Kathy smiled a smug little smile. “I asked the nurse to hold off a bit so we could have a little private time.”

“You sly little devil, you!”

“Yep!”

“Be a shame to waste this time!”

“Yep!”

A half hour later, there was a knock at the door, and Kathy jumped off the bed. Sarah stuck her head in, “You two decent?”.

“Come on in,” I said. Sarah walked in and looked around. Spotting a box of tissues, she pulled one out and wiped my lips with it.

“Good thing I knocked first,” she said dryly, holding up the lipstick-stained tissue. I pretended to study the ceiling while Kathy turned bright red!

“Apparently you’re doing well,” Sarah said.

“Yes, under the circumstances, I am,” I said. “Things didn’t go quite like the doctors planned.”

“Something went wrong?” she asked.

“My recovery is going to take longer than planned.”

“Why’s that?”

“Let me answer a question with a question. Could you see me having a baby,” I asked.

“I suppose you could adopt…” Sarah said. Behind her I could see Kathy was biting her lip. “You would probably make a good mother.”

“No, you’re not listening. I asked if you could see me having a baby.” By now I was having to bite my lips too.

“I don’t understand, how could you….What’s going on?” she cried in frustration.

“Well, when they started the surgery, they discovered, that, although my ovaries are too damaged to function, my uterus isn’t. Kathy had to make a decision, then they had to change plans in midstream. And now, if a fertilized egg were implanted in my womb, I could carry the baby to term.”

“And I have plenty of eggs” Kathy added. I looked at Kathy in astonishment. She mouthed a kiss at me.

Sarah stood there, absolutely dumb-founded.

“Sarah dear, close your mouth” I said gently.

“But, but, you’re a, I mean, you were a boy, how could you… I don’t understand!” she wailed.

“Sarah, I told you at the shop that day. I am, or was, both. Even though I had a penis, I also had a vagina, ovaries and a uterus. My doctor closed up my vagina when I was a baby, but my ovaries and uterus were still there. And now that’s been corrected. My penis is gone, I have a real vagina and uterus and ovaries. The ovaries don’t work, but everything else is functional.” I could tell Sarah still didn’t quite get it.

“I’m a real woman, Sarah. The only fake thing about me is my breasts, and the real ones are already growing.”

“And they respond quite nicely when improperly stimulated” Kathy said with a smirk. Sarah looked at Kathy, who was grinning like a fool, then back at me and my happy smile.

“So, you’re going to have a baby?”

“I don’t know, it’s too soon to say. But I can if I want to,” I said. “Who knows, I may not want to.”

“You haven’t seen her with Brittany, she’ll want to,” Kathy said. “It’s why I decided the way I did.”

“Who’s Brittany,” Sarah asked.

I turned the picture on my tray table around so she could see it. “What a beautiful little girl!”

“You remember Suzanne, I cut her hair the other day.” Kathy asked and Sarah nodded.

“That’s her daughter, they live up the street.”

“I remember now” Sarah said.

“Brittany thinks the sun rises and sets with Kari, and as for Kari, you’d have to see the two of them together. She oozes motherhood. I think that’s why Elliot was so depressed. There was this mother inside trying to get out,” Kathy said.

“Kathy,” I said.

“Yes Kari”

“Have I told you lately how much I love you,” I said.

“Not nearly often enough,” she smiled.

“Okay you two, I believe you. It’s just so wild,” Sarah said.

“You’re telling me!’ I said. I wiggled my hand at Kathy, and she came up and took ahold of it. “My life has been turned upside down. But I’ve discovered upside down is great!”

“I want to be here when you tell Tina,” Sarah said.

Tina came in a few minutes later, and Sarah waited for the explosion when I told her. But Tina’s response was “You can have a baby! Major cool!”, much to Sarah’s disappointment. Donna called and asked them to come to work a few minutes later. They left with a promise they’d be back.

“Is anybody else waiting to visit,” I asked Kathy. She looked outside then said nope.

“Then would you ask the nurse to hang out the no visitors sign, please,” I asked her. “I’m feeling kinda worn.”

“Sure thing, you’re looking a little pale,” Kathy observed.

“Except for Suzanne,” I said, “if she comes by, wake me. Oh, do you have to go to work today?”

“No, Donna told me to take as much time as we needed.”

“Bless her heart,” I said. Kathy went and spoke to the nurse, who followed her back in and checked me.

“You’re fine, you just tire easily. I told you that would happen.” she said “Be a dear, make my life easier, be a good patient and do as you’re asked.”

“I promise,” I looked at her nametag, “Nurse Bell.”

“Call me April. Only the administrator calls me “Nurse Bell”.

“April Bell, what a pretty name. I’m Karielle, but everybody calls me Kari, and this is Kathy”

“Alright Kari, no visitors until 1 PM, except Suzanne Thomas. That’s the little girl’s mother, right?”

“Right”

“I remember her from this morning. Now you get some rest.” she said as she left the room.

“Too bad they don’t make these beds in a wider model,” I said.

“But the nurse said you were supposed to rest,” Kathy said. “I’ll just drag the chair up beside the bed.”

“Wait a sec,” I said, “let me try something.” I fiddled with the controls, and lowered the bed way down, then raised the head up. With the chair up beside the bed, we were at the same level. Kathy sat down in the chair and I slid over and took her hand.

“That’s better. Now I can sleep.” Soon we were both out.

April came in a little later to check on Kari and found the two of them asleep, their heads resting together, still holding hands. She backed quietly out of the room and walked down the hall.

“If those two are just sisters, I’ll turn in my pin!” she thought to herself. “So what? There’s little enough love in the world to begrudge anybody their chance at happiness.” She could recognize the real thing when she saw it, and they had it, in spades.

She started humming to herself as she walked along, “Maybe I’ll do something extra nice for Jim this weekend. That’s the thing about love, the more you share, the more you have.”

A knock on the door woke me. I looked up as April stuck her head in.

“You awake? I’ve got some lunch for you. It’s not much, but it’s warm.”

“Sure, bring it in.” Kathy roused herself as April carried in a tray. Lunch was a clear broth, but was warm as advertised. April came in to pick up the tray,

“Suzanne Thomas is here, you ready for visitors?”

"Yes, please” I said. Suzanne came in a minute later.

“Hi!” I said.

“Hi yourself,” Suzanne said. “How you feeling?”

“Like I’ve been rode hard and put away wet.”

Suzanne laughed. “Well, you’re looking pretty good.”

“Then I look better than I feel,” I said.

“Listen, about yesterday,” Suzanne said. “I hope you’re not upset.”

“Not at all.” I said “Kathy made the right decision, and I’m happy that you were there to help her. I don’t know if I’ll ever have a child,…”

Kathy’s “I do” came at the same time as Suzanne’s “You will”.

I glared from one to the other. “Apparently everybody knows me better than I do!”

“In this case, yes,” Suzanne said.

“We’ll see” I said. Kathy and Suzanne smiled at each other.

“Which leads me to another thing,” Suzanne said. “You’ve got an admirer who won’t give me any peace until she’s allowed to visit. When do you think you’ll be up for it.”

“Maybe tomorrow? In the afternoon?”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. Actually I miss her myself,” I admitted. Kathy and Suzanne grinned at each other again. We arraigned that Suzanne would bring Brittany by at 3 tomorrow, then Suzanne left.

There being a lull in visitors, Kathy and I were reduced to browsing the channels on the hospital TV. We finally found a sunken treasure story on the Discovery Channel and were about halfway through when there was another knock, followed by Cindy, my attorney, sticking her head in.

“This a good time?”

“Sure, come on in,” I told her.

“I’ve got some more papers for you to look over and sign.”

Kathy cleared everything off the tray table, when she reached for the picture of Brittany and me, I grabbed it and put it inside the table instead. Kathy grinned at my reaction as I glared at her.

Cindy spread some papers out, “These are almost the last ones. I’ve already applied for court recognition of your change. Once I get that I’ll be able to get an amended birth certificate issued. That’s interesting, by the way. Your birth certificate originally listed you as female. It was changed 6 days later to male.”

“My mother always told me my father was out of town when I was born. Funny,” I said.

“How’s that” Kathy asked.

"It’s like that old Led Zeppelin song, the line “what's to be, they say will be”. I guess my mother won in the end.”

I was quiet for a moment, and Cindy spoke up.

“So anyway, once we get all that cleared away, then you’ll be able to get your driver’s license amended, and I can file to get all your various records changed. So I just need you to sign here, and here and here. Oh, and here.” The last “and here” was on a document from the State Teachers Retirement Fund.

“What’s this one” I asked, signing it.

“That’s one you didn’t tell me about, I found the filing in the courthouse when I was tracking down some other papers,” Cindy said.

“But what is it, I don’t recognize it.”

“You didn’t know? Your fiancée, Robyn Lovelace, had a $250,000 life insurance policy with you as the beneficiary, with a double face value AD&D rider. Even after taxes you get almost $400,000.”

I lay there, looking at the claim form, and the tears started streaming down my face. I started sobbing and shaking, and cried even harder. Kathy grabbed me and tried to hold me still, Cindy had the presence of mind to hit the panic button over the bed. April ran in, took one look at me and ran back out, returning with a syringe which she injected into my IV. In seconds I was out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What happened” April demanded, every inch the professional.

“Old wounds reopened” Kathy said. “Her fiancée was killed in a car accident awhile back, she was just getting over it when all this started. Then Cindy found an insurance policy that named Kari as beneficiary, Kari had no idea it even existed. It was too much of a shock for her on top of everything else right now.”

“I’m sorry,” Cindy said. “I didn’t know.”

“How could you?” Kathy replied. “Look, did you get all the signatures you needed?”

Cindy checked, “Yes, she signed them all.”

“Good. If you find anything else relating to Robyn that Kari needs to attend to, let us know first. We can help her deal with it, maybe give her a tranquilizer beforehand.”

“Sure.”

After Cindy left, April turned to Kathy. “You need to take a break and go home for awhile.”

“But shouldn’t I be here when she wakes up,” Kathy argued.

“It’ll be dinnertime or later before she wakes. You can’t stay here all the time. I’ve seen this before, you’ll both be better off if you get away for awhile.”

“Maybe you’re right,” Kathy said.

“I know I am,” April replied. “Scoot!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kari:When I woke up the curtains were closed and the lights were off, I had no idea what time it was. I finally found the light switch and turned my bed light on. As I looked for my watch the door opened and a nurse looked in.

“How are you feeling,” she asked as she came in. It wasn’t April, and I really didn’t feel like talking about what had happened.

“I’m fine.”

“Now why don’t I believe that,” the nurse said. “Try again.”

“Why should I,” I snapped at her.

“Because you either talk to me, or I call your doctor and you talk to her,” she replied. She sat down in a chair.

“Don’t you have something you need to be doing?” I asked her.

“Nope. I’m here ‘til midnight,“ and she leaned back and crossed her legs.

“Alright. I made a fool out of myself.”

“No.”

“What!”

“No, you didn’t make a fool out of yourself” she said. “Try again.”

“I broke down and cried like a baby.” I said.

“Yes. And?”

“And I looked stupid!”

“No, you didn’t”

“What would you call it?”

“You had an emotional shock. You reacted as many would, you cried.”

“They had to sedate me!” I protested.

“Karielle, you just had major surgery, which included some emotional trauma anyway. You just had one too many,” she replied calmly. “You can’t be a Rock of Gibraltar all the time. Sometimes what the situation calls for is a good cry.”

“You think?” I asked.

“I know. You have any idea how many 30 and 40-somethings I see in here with ulcers? Most of them would be better off if they cried occasionally. What you’ve got to do is learn to let it go before it explodes like it did today. You and your partner will be a lot happier if you do.”

“My---partner?”

“Yes, your partner. And a lovely girl she is, just like you.”

I’m sure the shock was written all over my face, for she continued, “Several of us have connected the dots, it wasn’t hard. And no, we’re not offended, or outraged, or anything like that.”

“But…”

“But, nothing! Are the two of you happy?” the nurse asked.

“Yes” I replied.

“Do you love each other?” she continued.

“Yes, we do.”

“Then grab life with both hands and enjoy it! Now, are you hungry?” she asked.

“Starved!”

“Dinner is a delicious beef consommé, with gelatin cubes for desert.”

As she turned to leave, I called out “Excuse me.”

“Yes?”

“I’m sorry, what’s your name,” I asked.

“I’m Mrs. Brady. Brady is my married name, by the way. And you thought you had problems.”

“I don’t understand.”

“My first name is Marsha,” and she grinned and walked out the door.

Marsha - Brady! I suddenly got it and laughed until my sides hurt.

April came in early the next morning so she could check on her favorite patient, Kari had still been asleep when she left Friday afternoon. Clipped to the log was a note addressed to her.

She opened it and read: “April, had a chat with your girl in 417 last night, I think she’ll be alright. She’s embarrassed at her reaction, but I set her straight. BTW, your suspicions are right. Her SO called several times, but I told her everything was fine, to stay home and get a good night’s sleep. Marsha”

April folded the note and tapped it against her lip, thinking “Marsha, Marsha, Marsha”.

I woke up Saturday morning feeling rested and refreshed. I raised the head of my bed, then indulged myself with a long relaxing stretch, arms high over my head.

April walked in just then, “You’re looking good this morning. How does that feel?”

“Feels good. I don’t hurt nearly as much this morning,” I said.

“That’s great,” April said. “Ready for breakfast?”

“Sure”

“After you eat we’ll get you all cleaned up before Kathy gets here,” April said. “I expect she’ll be at the door straight up 9. We made her go home and rest last night, she needed it as much as you.”

By the time Kathy got there, I had been bathed and was wearing fresh underwear and a clean nightgown. April also helped me apply some makeup and brushed my hair. I felt and looked good. I’d even had my first encounter with the dreaded bed pan. I now understood why they were universally hated by all women.

April slipped in just before Kathy arrived and spritzed me with some perfume she had, “Totally against the rules, but they were made by men. Us women know what we need to make us happy!” She winked at me and left as Kathy came in.

Kathy looked at me in surprise, “Well, don’t you look good!”

“So do you!” I said. And she did. I hadn’t realized the pressure on Kathy until I saw it’s absence. Kathy came over to the bed and gave me a kiss, one that I prolonged by the simple expedient of reaching up and putting my arm around her neck.

“Ummm, that’s nice!”

“So, you feeling better today,” Kathy asked, sitting down in the chair and taking my hand.

“Yes, I had a long talk last night with, oh, you’re going to love this, Marsha Brady!” giggling as I said it.

“Who?!?”

“Marsha Brady. She’s the evening nurse.”

“You’re kidding!”

“Nope, that’s really her name! Anyway, she convinced me I needed to relax more, and not keep things so bottled up inside.”

“Sounds like a smart woman.”

Just then April tapped on the door, “You ready for visitors, or would you like a little more time?”

“Give us five more minutes please, then be sure and knock first.”

“Okay honey,” she winked at me and left.

“That’s another thing you ought to know. The nurses have figured out about the two of us.”

“Oh!”

“It’s not a problem, either. Marsha, the nurse last night, said we should “grab life with both hands and enjoy it!”. And it was April’s idea to get me all fixed up for you, she even supplied the perfume. So give me another kiss before my visitors arrive.”

Kathy barely had time to fix our lipstick before the knock came.

Laurie and Nova were the first in.

“Wow, you look really good,” Laurie said.

“I was expecting to come in and find you on your deathbed,” Nova added.

“Nova!” Laurie exclaimed.

“So what’s the word, girl,” Laurie asked me.

“Well the operation was a success, and the patient didn’t die”, I quipped.

“Girl, do I have to come over there and beat it out of you,” Laurie complained. “What happened!”

“Well, good news, bad news, and more good news. The first bit of good news, the doctors used some of my large intestine to repair my stomach, so I’ll be able to eat more normal portions.”

“Great”

“Cool”

“Now for the bad news: my ovaries are irreparably damaged, I’m sterile.” That brought Laurie and Nova both to my side, we ended up in a three-way hug.

Laurie pulled away and looked at me, “There’s still good news after that?”

“Yes, actually. My uterus is fine, the doctors say I could have a fertilized egg implanted and carry the resulting fetus to term.” That brought about another round of hugs, and Laurie was sniffling.

“That’s so great!” she said.

“And Kathy has offered me all the eggs I want” I added. The two of them descended on Kathy then, with much hugging and kissing.

Then Laurie turned to me, “But what about your boobies?”

I cradled them in my hands. “I think they look pretty good” I said.

“Are they alright!” she said through clenched teeth.

“Oh, yes, everything’s fine,” I replied.

“So how much longer will you be here” Laurie asked.

“I don’t really know, depends on how fast I heal. They haven’t even let me out of bed yet. It’s going to be a slow recovery, though, I won’t be clubbing for awhile.”

“Look, we have to leave,” Laurie said, “that nurse out there is so-o mean, she kept us waiting, then told us we could only stay for 15 minutes.”

Kathy and I exchanged guilty looks.

“But we’ll be back And Kelli will be by later. She wanted to bring some flowers, but I’ll tell her not to bother,” Laurie said, looking around the room. Another round of hugs, and they left.

After that Dr. Hanson came in, followed by April.

“You’re looking much better today. I gather the staff pixies have been helping you?”

“Yes, they’re real sweethearts,” I said, and April blushed.

Dr. Hanson looked over my chart, “Hmm, kidneys are working, I see, that’s good. Any problems?” she asked me.

“Other than with the bedpan, you mean?”

“Bedpans were designed by men, Kari. If you can figure out something better, the sisterhood will thank you.” she replied.

“When can I get up? And start eating some decent food?”

“You’ll get a more appealing diet after you can get up and around. You’ll want to able to go to the bathroom before you start eating solid foods.” Dr. Hanson laughed at the look on my face. “Hadn’t thought about that, had you! As for getting up, I think we’ll start on that tomorrow. You’re moving around better, but let’s give it one more day.”

“Now, I understand you had a problem yesterday afternoon.”

“I-uh…Yes, I did. You heard?”

“All medications administered have to be charted, along with the reason. Failure to log the dispensing of medications is grounds for immediate dismissal, and may form the basis for criminal prosecution. Nobody betrayed any confidences,” she said. “However as your doctor and your therapist, I’d like to hear from you what happened.”

“Okay. Cindy came by yesterday afternoon with some papers for me to sign…”. I told her the whole story, but left out my conversation with Marsha later. If she was aware of my omission, she gave no sign.

“Thank you for telling me. Now, I’m going to give you some things to think about. Crying is good. Crying is natural. For you, it’s probably one of the best stress relievers there is. You have been through an enormous amount of stress the last couple of weeks. Frankly, I’ve been amazed at your ability to cope. Yes, you’ve had some major crisis moments, but you’ve come out of each one stronger, not weaker."

"We still have a lot of things to talk about, after all this is done, I hope you’ll continue to see me. You are an unusual person, not only can I help you, I can also learn from you. And what I learn may be used to help others like you. Don’t be ashamed of your emotions, your feelings. You love Kathy. If you hide your feelings from her, it’s the same thing as lying to her. You don’t want to do that.”

“Now, don’t misunderstand me, I don’t mean you should trot your emotions out for everybody to see. Just don’t try to keep everything bottled up inside. Sometimes you’ve got to grab a box of Kleenex and have a good cry. You’ll be better off for it, trust me.” Then, more briskly, “Any questions?”

“No, not right now.”

“Well, when you do, call me.”

Dr. Hanson turned to April, “Check the dressings and replace the tampon when you have time. Treat as charted for pain or anxiety, I’ve added orders for estrogen, twice daily IM, and oral vitamin supplements.”

Turning back to me, she said “I want you to take it easy for the rest of the day, don’t overdo it with the visitors. If you get to feeling tired, hit the call button and April will come run them off, “Doctor’s Orders”, so they won’t blame you. If you experience any pain or anxiety, I’ve left orders for something to help you, don’t hesitate to ask."

"If you look ready tomorrow morning, I’ll discontinue the IV, and we’ll start physical therapy. Don’t expect a lot at first, lying there in bed you don’t realize how weak you actually are.”

“Yes, ma’am,” I said.

“In fact,” she said, looking at her watch, “I’m going to order no visitors from now until 2 PM. I understand you’ve got an important visitor coming this afternoon, and I want you rested when she arrives,” she said with a smile.

“Kathy, you’re family, you can stay. But nobody else before 2.”

“Sounds good to me,” I said. “A nap before lunch looks mighty attractive right now.”

“Alright then, I’ll see you in the morning.”

After she left, April said “I’m going to get the medication Dr. Hanson ordered, I’ll be back in a minute. Would you like something mild to help you rest?”

“I think I would,” I said.

“And how about if I ask the kitchen to hold your lunch until 1 PM, that will give you time for a nice nap,” she asked.

“Sounds like a plan,” I replied.

She returned with two syringes and a small cup on a tray. “Roll over,” and I received an injection in the rear. Then she handed me the cup and a glass of water, “Swallow these”. “If you want, go ahead and rearrange your bed, then I’ll slip this,” holding up the second syringe “in your IV.” April closed the curtains as I lowered the bed and Kathy slid her chair over next to it, then she injected the syringe in my IV.

Almost immediately I felt my muscles unknot as I started to sag mentally. Kathy reached over and took my hand as my head begin to sink into the pillow. The last thing I remember is April saying “Sweet Dreams” as she lowered the lights and left the room.

I woke up when April brought in my lunch. “Another nutritious bowl of warm broth for your dining-in pleasure” she said with a grin. “Kathy, are you hungry?”

“I’d kill for a cheeseburger right now,” Kathy said.

“Sorry, can’t help you there,” April replied. “How does a green salad and Cream of Broccoli soup sound.”

“That’ll do for now,” Kathy said.

April went back out and returned with another tray and a folding table. “Kari, your friend Kelli called, she’ll be here at 2.”

“Thanks, April.”

When Kelli arrived, she was quieter than the other two had been. Apparently when two or more of them got together, it was like coupling amplifiers together.

“I see why Laurie told me not to bother with the flowers,” she commented.

“Yeah, it’s like a jungle in here. I keep expecting to hear Tarzan,” I laughed.

“So, you’re going to be on the disabled list for awhile, what are you going to do to keep the boredom at bay?” she asked.

“Read, probably,” I answered. “I bought all those books,” pointing at the stack on the table, “and I haven’t had a chance to even look at them.”

“I’m a bit of a bookaholic myself, if you run out of things to read, I can bring you a stack. Not a romance novel in the bunch, either!”

We chatted about some other things of mutual interest, she proved to be a pleasant, restful visitor. Promising to stop by in a day or so, she left after about a 20 minute visit.

“Why can’t they all be like that?” Kathy asked. I told her about my theory that they amplified each other. “You may be right.”

Suzanne and Brittany arrived just after 3, Brittany was carrying a pad of paper clutched to her chest. She dropped the pad and rushed up to me and grabbed my arm.

“Oh, Karielle, are you ok? Momma said you were sick and I shouldn’t tire you and I’ve been so worried about you.” She lay her cheek down on my arm, and I reached across and stroked her hair with my other hand.

Suzanne and Kathy exchanged smiles again, I stuck my tongue out at them.

“I’ll be okay Brittany. I just had to have some things fixed.”

"Did they get everything fixed alright?” she asked.

“They got them fixed just fine, honey.”

“When will you be home? Momma said we could go someplaces when you were all better. Will that be soon?”

“I’m sorry, honey, it’s going to be awhile. It’s going to take some time for me to get all better, I’ll have to rest a lot.”

To distract her from worrying about me, I brought up her artwork. “Thank you for the picture, it’s lovely. I had the nurse put it up where I can always see it. Look it’s right there” and I pointed to the wall opposite my bed.

“I made you another picture!” and she ran over and retrieved her pad. She pulled a drawing out and handed it to me. It showed a little brown-haired girl and a tall yellow-haired woman on horses.

“You like horses, don’t you? I love horses. Sometimes momma takes me to this place where she lets me ride a pony. You’re big enough, you could ride a real horse. Would you come ride with me? After you’re better?”

“I don’t know, Brittany, I’ve never ridden a horse before,” I said.

“You haven’t?” in an amazed tone, like she couldn’t believe there was somebody who hadn’t ridden before.

“I can show you, it’s easy. You just sit on the horse, and you kick him with your feet to make him go, and pull on the straps to make him stop, and pulling on the right strap makes him go right, and pulling on the left makes him go left.” Brittany’s lungs must be huge, the child only stopped for breath every ten sentences or so.

“That sounds like fun, Brittany. After I’m better maybe we could do that. Thank you for the picture. I’ll have them put it up right next to the other one. You’re quite a little artist, aren’t you?”

“Would you like to see my other pictures?”

She started to open her pad then stopped. She ran around to the other side of the bed, hopped up on the chair and climbed up on the bed next to me. With a firm nod that said to her, this was much better, she snuggled up to me and pulled her pad over.

“Brittany! What did I tell you!” Suzanne begin, but I waved her off.

“It’s fine, Suzanne. She’s not bothering me. Don’t worry,” I said.

Suzanne didn’t look convinced, but Kathy was covering her mouth with her hand. I could tell from looking at her that she was trying to keep from laughing out loud. I stuck my tongue out at her again, then turned my attention to Brittany, “Let’s see your pictures, honey.”

“Here’s this one, and this one is some clouds I saw the other day, and this one is…” and we looked at several dozen pictures.

“I hadn’t finished this picture yet”, this one of mountains and trees. “Would you like to help me?” she asked.

“Sure!”

From a pocket in her dress she extracted several crayons, handing a green one to me, “You can do the trees here,” she pointed. So we got busy coloring in the trees and the mountains, “I’m doing the snow on the mountains,” she said.

Suddenly Suzanne said “Oh, darn!”

“What?” I asked.

“I brought some nightgowns from when I was in the hospital after Brit was born, I thought you might like to use them. They fasten with Velcro, they’re easy to get to get in and out of. But I left them in the car, Brittany was in such I hurry I forgot. If you’d like to try them I could go get them.”

“Yes, thank you.”

“It’ll just take a minute. Brittany, you behave, don’t give Kari any trouble.”

“I won’t, momma.”

“Mind if I go with you?” Kathy asked. “I need to stretch my legs. They’ll be fine.”

“Okay”

As they went down the hall, Kathy stopped at the nurse’s station.

“April, we left Kari in there with Brittany, we’ll be back in a few minutes.”

“Sure, I’ll look in on them.”

After they left, Brittany turned to me, “I made you another picture, Karielle.”

“Well, let’s see it!” She pulled another drawing out of the back. This one showed a brown-haired man and woman on one side, and two yellow-haired women on the other side. In the middle, next to the brown-haired couple stood a slightly shorter brown-haired girl, holding hands with a little yellow-haired girl.

“That’s my mommy and daddy, and that’s you and Kathy” she said.

“And who’s this in the middle?” I asked.

“That’s me, grown up, and that’s your little girl. Mommy said when you got better you were going to have a little girl, just like me. And I could be her friend, just like you’re my friend, couldn’t I?”

“I’d like that very much, Brittany. Nothing would make me happier.” I gave her a hug, and she put her arm around me and hugged me back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kathy and Suzanne noticed all the nurses were gathered around the computer at the nurses station when they came back up about 15 minutes later.

April saw them and waved them over, “Come here, you’ve got to see this! I went in to check on Kari and Brittany a few ago. I’m glad I had my digital in my purse.”

On the monitor was a picture of Kari with Brittany, both sound asleep. Kari was laying slightly on her side, Brittany curled up next to her. Brittany’s head lay on Kari’s shoulder, Kari’s arm was circled protectively around her, and Kari’s cheek rested on the top of Brittany’s head. Brittany had an arm lying across Kari’s chest, and her fingers were intertwined with Kari’s. It was a touching scene, any Renaissance painter would have been happy to paint them.

“I’ve got to have a copy of that!” Kathy exclaimed.

“Me too!” echoed Suzanne.

Several of the nurses indicated that they would also like copies.

“I’ll just upload it to my blog” April said, “and you can all get copies there.” She quickly typed in some commands, and soon the picture was on the front page of her blog.

“Where’s that at?” Kathy asked.

“It’s Nurse Aprils blog” and she gave the blog address.

“I’d better get Brittany and go” Suzanne said. “She was so excited about visiting Kari she didn’t get a nap yet, and it looks like she’s ready. Kari looks like she could use the rest also.”

They walked into the room, and as Suzanne walked around the bed to pick up Brittany, Kathy saw the drawing.

“Look here,” she said quietly, handing the drawing to Suzanne. “Is that what I think,” pointing at the yellow-haired little girl.

“I’d say so,” Suzanne replied with a smile. “This must be the special picture Brittany’s been working on. She wouldn’t show it to me.”

Suzanne laid the picture on the tray table and picked Brittany up. “Come on Brits, time to go.” Brittany turned in her mother’s arm and wrapped her arms around Suzanne’s neck. Kathy rolled up the pad and handed it to Suzanne. Kari slept through it all.

“Need any help,” Kathy asked.

“No, I’m fine, thanks. Kari can look at the nightgowns when she wakes up.”

In the meantime, April had added a brief explanation to the picture: “One of my patients, and the daughter of one of her neighbors who came to visit. The young woman has had a rough time of it, including major surgery, but she's formed a special bond with this little girl. For all that modern medicine can do, love is still one of the best healing therapies there is.”

A few minutes later, a web bot from one of the major search engines cataloged the picture and caption.

When April got home and logged on the Internet, she was surprised to find over a hundred emails in her inbox. Almost every one had to do with the picture. Many were praising the picture, and thanking her for posting it. Some wanted to know about Kari and Brittany, their names, what was wrong with Kari, how was she doing, etc.

Even as she read the emails, another dozen showed up. Never had she had so many hits on her blog, up until now most of the visitors had been family, friends and other nurses. She clicked over to one of the popular search engines and entered several keywords to describe the picture and her blog. She got back several hundred hits, including several hits from major websites that reviewed blogs.

She clicked on one at random and read: “Thanks to one of my faithful readers for alerting me to this blog. This is without a doubt one of the most touching pictures I’ve seen in years. The nurse that posted the picture gives this as an example of the healing power of love, and I couldn’t agree more.”

“Oh my God, what have I done!” She immediately took the blog down, but by then it was too late. USA Today featured the picture in their next edition. That publication was featured on ABC’s World News Now overnight newscast, and the women of The View showed the picture Monday morning.

By then, anybody clicking on her blog saw the following message: “I want to thank everybody for their interest in the photo I posted. I did not expect the kind of response I received. Due to patient privacy concerns I have taken the photo and my blog down.” When she was summoned to the administrator’s office, she knew she was in trouble.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first I knew of the picture was when Dr. Hanson brought in a copy of USA Today the next morning and tossed it on the bed. “Well, you’re famous”, she said.

“Oh, wow!” I said.

“I want to assure you that the hospital takes patient privacy very seriously. The nurse involved has been terminated, and they are prepared to make you a very substantial offer to settle any concerns.”

I looked at the caption for the picture and saw the name “Nurse Aprils Blog”.

“Terminated! This is April! She was fired? For this?”

Dr. Hanson nodded. “She violated patient privacy, that’s a serious offense.”

“I want to talk to whoever’s in charge. Right NOW!”

“The hospital administrator is waiting in his office, he’ll be right up.”

I lay there fuming, waiting on him. Kathy came in and saw the paper.

“Oh, you’ve seen it already.”

“Stay here with me, I may need you.”

The administrator came in just then. “Ms Taylor, I want to personally apologize for this incident. The nurse no longer works here, and she will find it very difficult to get work at any other hospital after this.”

I turned to Kathy, “Call Cindy, right now! Find her and get her down here right away, as soon as possible!”

“Excuse me” the administrator, Mr. Harwell, said, “Who’s Cindy?”

“My attorney! You are going to be ever so sorry!”

“Please, Ms Taylor, we are prepared to make you a very generous settlement..”

“NO! I don’t want your stupid money! I want April! She’s the best nurse I’ve ever had, and I’ve had my share! If you don’t rehire her I’m going to sue this hospital for every scalpel and bedpan it has!” I was furious!

“I’m afraid that’s not possible,” Harwell said.

“Well you’d better figure a way to make it possible!” I snapped, then turned to Kathy, “Have you gotten hold of Cindy yet?”

Just then Dr. Hanson noticed that the door was open, and several nurses were standing outside, eyes as big as saucers. She stepped over and shooed them away, and closed the door.

One of them ran down to the locker room, where April was packing a box with the things from her locker. She had been crying and her eyes were red.

“April honey, don’t leave yet!”

“Why?”

“Kari just found out you were canned, and she’s spitting mad! She’s threatening to sue the hospital for “every scalpel and bedpan it has”, if they don’t rehire you!”

“You’re kidding!”

“Nope! I’ve never in my life seen anybody so mad! You’ve sure made a friend there.”

Upstairs in my room, the phone rang. Kathy answered it, “It’s Cindy” and handed it to me.

“Kari, it’s Cindy, I assume you’re calling about the picture.”

“Yes, I am. Cindy, they fired April, the nurse that took the picture!”

“I’m not surprised.”

“Well, she’s the best nurse I’ve ever had, a really caring person. She has helped my through this with love and compassion. If they don’t rehire her, I want you to file the biggest lawsuit possible against this place first thing Monday morning!”

“Kari, if the media gets ahold of your story, it could get nasty.”

“I don’t care! April is my friend, and I stand by my friends! They rehire her, and we can all sit down and work on damage control. If they don’t rehire her, we go to court!”

“Kari, you know most people wouldn’t think that way.”

“I’m not most people, Cindy, and I take care of my friends!”

“No, you’re not most people, you’re a very special person. Now, who’s there?”

“Dr. Hanson and the administrator, Mr. Harwell.”

“Let me speak to Mr. Harwell, then.”

I extended the phone to Harwell, ‘Talk to my attorney”. I almost spat the words.

While he was talking with Cindy, Dr. Hanson stepped to my side.

“You know they were perfectly within their rights to fire April.” she said quietly. “What she did was wrong.”

“Maybe so, I don’t care. As long as I’m in this hospital, I want April taking care of me.”

“I just want to let you know, as a doctor, I think the hospital did the correct thing. But as your therapist, I believe you are doing the right thing. Stick to your guns, Kari.”

“Thanks!”

Over on the phone, Mr. Harwell was saying, “Yes, I believe we can agree to that. Just a minute, I’ll put her back on.” He handed the phone back to me.

“Yes, Cindy?”

“Alright, Kari, here’s the deal so far. The hospital will reinstate April, but she will be on probation, and a letter of reprimand will be placed in her permanent file. In return we agree to suspend any suit against the hospital. He wanted you to sign a quitclaim, but I turned that down. Everybody works together to come up with a cover story to protect you. Thankfully, there’s not much in April’s blog that can be used to identify her or you, and I’ll be contacting the ISP to make sure they keep April’s information private. Also, April has to quit blogging, due to privacy concerns. Does that work for you?”

“Yes, as long as it’s agreeable with April.”

“Then let me talk to Harwell again.”

“Here,” I said, and handed the phone to him.

Harwell listened for a minute, then turned to Dr. Hanson, “Would you see if somebody can find Ms Bell, please?”

Dr. Hanson stepped to the door, and flagged down on of the nurses, “Please go find April for me, and have her come up. I imagine she’s still in the locker room, isn’t she.”

“Yes, Doctor, I believe so.”

In a few minutes, April came in the room, red-eyed and nervous. I gave her a thumbs-up gesture.

“Ms Bell,” Mr. Harwell begin, “I terminated your employment earlier today for good reason, and with just cause. Your actions have placed Ms Taylor’s privacy in jeopardy, and put her at risk for great personal embarrassment.”

“Yes sir.”

“But Ms Taylor has spoken up strongly in your defense. After considering her concerns, I have decided to reinstate you, with the following stipulations,” and he repeated to her the deal he and Cindy worked out.

“Do you agree to those terms?”

“Yes sir,” April said.

“In addition, I require one other thing from you.”

I raised up in bed, and Mr. Harwell made a hold-on motion to me.

“You need to make a personal apology to Ms Taylor for the trouble you’ve caused her.”

“Yes sir.”

Turning to me, April said “Kari, Ms Taylor, I apologize for my actions. I didn’t intend for anything like this to happen, but I didn’t consider the consequences. I’m sorry for the problems I’ve caused you. If I could undo my actions, I would.”

Mr. Harwell turned to me and raised his eyebrows, as if to say “well”?

“April, I accept your apology. I know you haven’t got a mean bone in your body, and you certainly didn’t intend to cause all this. I forgive you.” I looked back at Harwell.

“Then I consider this matter closed,” Mr. Harwell said. “We’ll all need to get together to discuss how to minimize the effects of this situation, perhaps on Monday morning. In the meantime, Nurse Bell, you may return to your assigned duties.”

“Thank you, sir”

As he was leaving, Harwell turned around, “Nurse Bell?”

“Yes sir?”

“Off the record, you must be one hell of a nurse. I’ve never seen a patient stand up for a nurse like Ms Taylor did for you. If we all survive this, I personally guarantee your continued employment.”

“Thank You, Sir!”

Dr. Hanson followed him out, saying she’d be back in a few minutes.

When the door closed behind them, April came over and gave me a fierce hug.

“Oh, Kari, I’m so sorry, I never meant for anything like this to happen!” She was crying again.

I waved to Kathy, who handed me some tissues.

“Shush. It’ll be alright.” I wiped her eyes, and discovered mine were none too dry. “We’ll get through this, April. I’ve been embarrassed before, I’ll survive. Mr. Harwell, Dr. Hanson, and Cindy are going to come up with a plan for damage control. We’ll get through this.”

“Cindy? Your attorney, that Cindy?”

“Yes”

“Then you really did threaten to sue the hospital if they didn’t rehire me?”

“Yes, but don’t let on you know,” I said.

“You really did that for me?”

“Of course I did. April, you’re my friend. Friends take care of each other.”

“April, you should have seen her!” Kathy said. “I’ve never before actually seen somebody spit fire, but Kari did!”

“April, in the last couple of weeks, I’ve gotten a whole new life,” I told her. “I’ve gained wonderful friends who care about me, and I care about them. A book I read said you can tell a lot about a person by the quality of her friends. Judging by you, Marsha, Suzanne & Brittany, Laurie and all the others, and of course, Kathy,” and I blew her a kiss, “I must be a pretty good person. I intend to be that kind of friend to all of you.”

Kathy came over and laid her hand on my shoulder, and kissed me on the cheek.

“Have I told you lately how much I love you,” she said.

“Not nearly often enough,” and I grinned back at her.

I turned to April, “Now dry your eyes and let Kathy fix your makeup so you can get back to work. I’m supposed to get out of this bed today, and I want you with me.”

After April left, a thought suddenly occurred to me, “What about Brittany? How are we going to explain this to Suzanne?”

“Let me call Suzanne,” Kathy said. “I’ll explain to her that in order to pacify the hospital this needs to be kept quiet. You can barely see Brittany’s face anyway, and I doubt Suzanne wants to subject her to a media circus.”

(In the end, it was all unnecessary. Monday afternoon a scandal broke out in Congress, and stories about patients and little girls disappeared.)

Dr. Hanson came back in then, “You’ve had a full day already, and it’s not even noon. How do you feel.“

“Drained,” I admitted. Dr. Hanson looked over my chart, and made some notations.

“I think maybe we should postpone the start of your physical therapy until you are well rested,” she said.

I wanted to protest, but I knew she was right. “Okay. First thing tomorrow morning?”

“Sure thing,” she said.

“Now, I’d like to talk about this morning. Up until now, you’ve been a little passive. But this morning you were a hellcat. Weren’t you scared about having your picture in a national paper?”

“I didn’t really have time to be scared. I found out about the picture and April being fired at the same time, and I just got mad,” I said.

“Why?” she asked.

“Why, what?”

“Why did what was happening to her upset you more that what might happen to you?”

“I’m not really sure,” I replied “I didn’t even think about it.”

“Think about it,” Dr. Hanson said. “When you find the answer to that, you’ll have learned something important about yourself.”

“May I say something,” Kathy asked.

“Of course” Dr. Hanson said.

“I saw this video on TV one time. It was of a mother cat and her kittens being threatened by a vicious dog. The mamma cat didn’t even try to run away, she launched an all-out attack on the much larger dog. I was surprised when I came in this morning and found Kari spitting mad. I was expecting her to be upset about the picture, and here she was, ready to claw somebody’s eyes out. In a way, it reminded me of that mother cat.”

“That’s good, Kathy,” the doctor said. “That’s something else for you to think about,” she said, turning to me.

“Now, on to the mundane matters of medicine. I want you to rest for today, and I’ve ordered something to help.”

She hit the call button, and April slipped through the door. Her eyes were still a bit puffy, but she looked a hundred percent better.

Dr. Hanson turned to her, “Yes, I rather thought it would be you. Let’s remove all the bandages today and let some air at the incisions. I added this, for today only,” pointing at the chart, “5 mg now, 5 mg at 3 PM, and 15 mg about 8 PM.”

She turned to me, “Take it easy another day, and I’ll see you in the morning.”

April came over to the bed after she left. “Right. Lets remove the dressings, bathe you, and get you in a clean gown. Then we need to change the sheets.”

She removed the bandages covering the incisions under my breasts first. “Those are looking good, you can’t even see them. That new surgical glue is amazing.” The incision on my abdomen was doing well also, she said. She bathed me, then Kathy helped her put fresh clothes on me, including one of Suzanne’s nightgowns.

“There, now you look pretty.” April took the bed control and lowered the bed all the way down. “Swing your feet over the edge, then lean on me and I’ll pull you up. You’re just going to the chair here while the orderly changes the sheets.”

She quickly and efficiently got me moved over, then left to get the orderly.

“Hey look,” I told Kathy, “I’m out of bed, even if it’s only a couple of feet.”

“Small steps, Grasshopper, small steps,” Kathy intoned in a mock Oriental accent.

The orderly came in just then to change the sheets. I wasn’t wearing a bra, and he spent nearly as much time trying to look down the top of my nightgown as he did changing the sheets. After he left Kathy and I started giggling at his antics.

April came in and looked at us, “Let me guess, Steve was trying to get a free peek while changing the sheets.”

“Yeah, I thought he was going to sprain his eyes trying to see down Kari’s nightgown” Kathy said.

“If you’ve got ‘em, flaunt ‘em” I said, lifting them up and looking at them.

“Oh, don’t tell me,” April said, “You’re going to be one of those girls that parades around in a bikini made of about three square inches of fabric!”

“No, I’m modest. I insist on at least five square inches.” General laughter ensued.

“Alright, back to bed,” April said, and she assisted me in moving back.

“Now it’s time for you to rest,” she said, and she injected something into my IV that quickly made it impossible for me to keep my eyes open.

I woke just before lunch, frankly I was getting tired of sleeping my time away here in the hospital. Maybe the start of physical therapy would stop that. I was ready to be up and around.

Kathy wasn’t in the room, so I decided to amuse myself for awhile. I slipped on the headphones and hit random play on my MP3 player then turned to the books I’d brought. I didn’t really listen to what was playing until Led Zeppelin II came around, now there’s a great blues rock album.

When “What Is And What Should Never Be” came up, one verse seemed especially appropriate:

“So if you wake up with the sunrise,
and all your dreams are still as new,
And happiness is what you need so bad,
girl, the answer lies with you.”

The idea of having a child was new, but something felt right about it. Previously, I had thought I might see about getting back on with Ch. 7, but now, with this, I wasn’t sure.

My dreams, my answers, my decision. Could I have it all? There had to be a way.

Kathy came in and I turned to her. “Can you ask somebody about getting Internet access in here. I need to get online and check some stuff.”

“Hi Honey,” Kathy replied in annoyance. “Yes, I’m fine, and yourself?”

“I’m sorry,” I said, instantly contrite. “I got to thinking about some stuff. I’ve got a one track mind sometimes.”

“One track mind? More like a train wreck, if you ask me!” Kathy said. But she relented and after giving me a kiss, went out to check with April.

Returning, she handed a sheet of paper to me. “Here’s the information you need to get a connection. I suppose you want your laptop from home,” she asked.

“Yes, please, honey, it’s in the living room, I think.”

“I saw it yesterday” Kathy said. “So what are you plotting?”

“Not really sure right now,” I replied. “Going to do some basic research.”

Changing the subject, I asked her when she was going to start regular work at the shop.

“You’re trying to get rid of me” Kathy quipped. “Seriously, I do need to start regular hours at the shop. Donna has been very nice about letting me off, but I feel like I’m taking advantage of her.”

“How about you let me decide when I’m being taken advantage of,” Donna said from the door.

“Hi Kari! How are you doing?”

“Hey Donna! Good to see you,” I replied. “Doing fine, all things considered.”

“That’s good” she replied.

Turning to Kathy, she asked “How much longer do you need to be here?” The emphasis on “need” was slight but unmistakable.

“I start physical therapy tomorrow” I threw in, “I expect that will keep me busy during the day.”

“Do you need me here for that” Kathy asked me.

“I believe they’d prefer that you weren’t, actually.”

“Then how about I come in tomorrow morning. I’ll need to be off later in the week when Kari comes home, not before Wednesday I’d imagine.

“I’ll talk to Dr. Hanson tomorrow and see what she says,” I told them.

“OK then, we’ll start setting up a regular schedule for you tomorrow,” Donna said. “Now, Sarah said you had a surprise for me. She wouldn’t say what’s going on, except that it would blow me away.”

“Oh, it will blow your mind, alright!” and I told her what happened, first during surgery, then the picture incident.

“If I can make a suggestion, you might want to take some time, I mean serious time, learning about this new skin you’re in before you start a family.”

“Yeah, I was just thinking about that when Kathy came in,” I told Donna. “I suspect I’ll need a year or two just to heal before I could even think about children.”

April came in then with my lunch tray and set it on my tray table. She returned with second one for Kathy, which looked considerably more interesting than what I was getting.

“Don’t even think about it” April said to me.

“Yes, ma’am” I told her meekly.

“April, I want you to meet Donna, Kathy’s boss. She owns the salon. Donna, this is April, the best nurse in the state.”

Donna appraised April closely, which flustered her.

“What, did I do something….” April asked.

“I was looking for your halo,” Donna said. “From Kari’s description of you, I was sure there had to be a halo. And wings.”

April blushed, but responded “No, the angel here is Kari. Everybody knows angels are blonde. I’m just a mousy brunette.”

“If that’s the only thing disqualifying you, either Kathy or I can fix that,” Donna told her with a grin. “Seriously, we’re a bit of a loose family at the shop, and what they’ve said qualifies you for membership. I’d be glad to have you as a salon customer. We’re a full service salon.”

Donna pulled a card from her purse, scribbled on it and handed it to April. “Call or drop in anytime. If Kathy is busy, I’ll be glad to take care of you.”

Turning to us, Donna said “I’ve got to run. Kathy, see you in the morning at 10.”

After she left, April looked at the card, “Wow, 25 percent off any service!”

“Welcome to the family”, I told her.

After we ate, Kathy and I talked about this, that, and the other for awhile. Nothing big or momentous, we talked about furniture arrangement, discussed clothing, the usual sort of small talk any couple makes. No matter that we were married, we hadn’t really known each other very long, we still had lots to learn.

April came in with the ever-present hypo just before 3, “Time for your nap,” she said brightly.

“I’m going to run home while you nap” Kathy said. “I’ll be back about 5:30, and I’ll bring your laptop.” She gave me a firm kiss, then April slipped the hypo into my IV.

A voice just above me roused me, “Wake up, sleeping beauty.” I reached up for the expected kiss, and was surprised when Kathy pulled away.

“Um, you’ve got the wrong person.”

My eyes popped open and I saw a nurse I hadn’t met before!

“Oh, geez, I’m sorry! I was expecting , that is, I , uhh…”

"That’s alright, no problem” she said. I know I was bright red with embarrassment.

“I thought you were my…” I trailed off.

“Your Sierra Oscar”, she supplied with a grin.

“Sierra Oscar?”

“Sierra Oscar, military slang for Significant Other. I was an Air Force Flight Nurse for ten years before I got out and moved here.” she said.

“Then you flew those aeromedical flights to Germany that I see on the TV news.”

“Mostly the U.S.-bound flights.”

“Mostly? Then you did some of the flights from Iraq?”

“Two tours,” she said.

“Wow, a genuine hero, right here in my room!”

“No, the heroes are the men and women I cared for on those flights,” she said a little sharply.

“Of course, you’re right”, I said. “I didn’t mean to sound flippant.”

“I should apologize, too,” she said. “I tend to get defensive if it seems people are slighting the combat troops.”

“Not me, my father was an aviator when he met my mom. The GI Bill paid for his master’s degree.” I said.

“Oh, a Navy brat!”

“No, my father got out before I was born,” I told her. “How did you know it was the Navy?”

“Aviator!” she said. “The Navy has aviators, the Air Force has plane drivers, aka pilots. I’m Cheryl Ross, by the way. Please call me Cheryl.”

“Hi Cheryl, I’m Karielle, but everybody calls me Kari. I don’t recall seeing you here before.”

“No, normally I work the ER, but I’m subbing for one of the girls up here.” she said.

“Actually, I hear you’re kind of a hero yourself.”

“Me? A hero? No, you’ve got the wrong girl,” I told her.

“Aren’t you the one who’s picture showed up in the paper?” she asked.

“Yes” I sighed, “that was me.”

“Then you’re the one that put it on the line to save April’s job, that makes you a hero in my book,” Cheryl replied.

“Please, let’s not de-vee the term hero,” I told her. “I just did what had to be done.”

“Sure, that’s such a common thing.“ Just then her pager went off. “Gotta run, I’ll talk to you later.”

She passed Kathy at the door, stifling a laugh as they passed. Kathy looked back after her, then came up to me and gave me a kiss, putting my laptop on the tray table.

“Darn, meant to get here before you woke up, so I could wake you the right way,” Kathy said.

“You almost did, so to speak”, I laughed. I told her what almost happened when the nurse woke me, and she glared at me with mock severity.

“Here I thought I didn’t have to worry ‘cause there weren’t any men around,” Kathy said. “Guess I’ve gotta start watching the women, too!”

“You’ve got nothing to worry about. I promise, no matter where I get my appetite I’ll always eat at home!”

“Oh, you!”

The orderly came in then with my dinner, more soup for me, and a baked chicken breast for Kathy. Instead of leaving then, he stopped and looked around.

“There’s something missing here,” he said. “Oh yeah!” and he stepped outside the door. He returned in a moment with a bouquet of red roses, which he laid in my lap.

Then he handed me an envelope. Inside there was a beautiful card. On the cover it said “Thank you for being there, For being a friend,” and on the inside it said “For being you!” and it was signed “The nurses of University Medical Center”. Also inside was a gift certificate for dinner for two at Red Lobster.

I started crying, and passed the card to Kathy. She read the card and passed it back to me, I noticed she was crying herself. The orderly smiled at me then, “Thank you from all of us” and left.

After we ate, Kathy got my computer hooked up, following the directions on the sheet. We were trying it out when there was a knock on the door, and a man stuck his head in.

“Karielle Taylor? May I come in?”

“Sure?”

He came in and stood by the door, “I’m James Bell, April’s husband. I just wanted to thank you for what you did. All April’s ever wanted to be is a nurse. One mistake was going to take that away from her. If it hadn’t been for you….” Well, I know guys don’t cry, but Jim was having to fight hard not to.

“Jim, April’s a wonderful person, and a wonderful nurse. She’s done far more for me than I’ll ever be able to do for her. I‘m proud to be her friend.”

“Well, thank you, anyway,” he said. “I gotta be going, April doesn’t know I came over here.”

“It’ll be our little secret,” I told him.

This has certainly been an interesting day! Cheryl came in to check on me then, and expressed her disapproval of my vitals.

“You’ve expended far too much of yourself today, it’s time to rest.” she said.

Turning to Kathy, “I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to give her a break, she needs to slow down now before bedtime.”

“I feel better when Kathy’s around,” I protested.

“That may be” Cheryl said, “But your pulse averages 10 beats a minute higher whenever Kathy’s here.” Kathy and I exchanged startled looks.

“So, until you get your raging hormones under control….” and she grinned at me.

“I didn’t know I had that much of an effect on you,” Kathy said to me. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” Cheryl excused herself, and Kathy came over and gave me a long, lingering kiss.

“I bet that made their monitors sit up and take notice! Bye luv!”

Cheryl came in after Kathy left, with a strip of paper in her hand. “Thanks, you just won me five bucks!”

“How’d I do that?” I asked. “I bet your heart rate would hit 110 when Kathy said goodnight.” She held up the strip, “113! Now just lie back and relax, and I’ll leave the sedative until later.”

I was lying back, relaxing, not thinking about anything in particular, when Marsha Brady came into the room, walked up to my bed and kissed me on the cheek.

“What was that for” I asked.

“For being you” she said. “If there’s ever anything I can do”

“You already have,” I told her.

Cheryl came back about 30 minutes later,

“I think it’s time to pull the plug on today, you’ve got a long day ahead of you tomorrow. Your pulse has come down nicely, except for a brief spike a little while ago. But I know the cause of that.”

“How are you getting my pulse?” I asked. Cheryl opened up my night gown and showed me what looked like some sort of patch on my left side. I hadn’t noticed it as my view was blocked by my new assets.

“It’s wireless to the receiver above your head, which sends it to the display monitors at the nurses station. We can do full EKG, BP, pulse and temp if we need to, we just have you on pulse rate to keep a watchful eye on you.”

“Okay, I was wondering, County General doesn’t have anything like this,” I said.

“No, this is state of the art, funded by a grant from NIH,” Cheryl said. “Why were you in County General?”

“An industrial accident about 6 months ago. It’s really what started this whole thing,” I told her.

“I’d like to hear the whole story sometime. For now, though, it’s time to say good night, Kari.”

“Good night Kari” I responded brightly. She groaned as she injected the hypo into my IV line.

Monday morning dawned with me feeling the best I had since surgery. I woke up early, eager to get started. I was hoping that my body, which had delivered up several surprises already, would reward me with some high speed healing. April showed up just after her shift started, to find me online checking out professional HD cameras. I had zoomed in on Panasonic’s top of the line camcorder for HDTV, and she whistled at the price.

“$32.000 for a camera! Wow!”

“That’s just the starting point,” I told her, opening up a sidebar. “Equipped the way I want, with the additional accessories, I’m looking at $65,000 for the package” I said. “That’s retail. I figure I can knock five grand off that.”

“That’s a lot of money!”

“Yeah, I only gave about five grand for my Betacam SP used. But I’m betting the higher quality of the DVCPRO will win out in the end.”

“Why do you need such an expensive camera,” she asked.

“I’m not going to sit around the house after I get out of here. As soon as I’m fit, I want to go back into broadcast photojournalism. I used to be pretty good at it.”

“Fit is the operative term,” April said. “I’ll get your breakfast, then we’ll get you cleaned up. By then Dr. Hanson ought to be here.”

“Sounds like a plan!”

By 8:30 I was all cleaned up, fresh clothes and all. They’d change the sheets while I was doing therapy, so I wouldn’t have to endure another “inspection” from Steve the orderly. Dr. Hanson showed up right at 9, I was back on the computer, chasing information and making notes.

“You’re at it bright and early,” Dr. Hanson said.

“I’ve got things to do,” I told her.

“Not until you’re fit,” she said.

“Then let’s get started!”

“One step at a time!” April had come in, pulling the screen. Dr. Hanson opened my gown and examined the surgical sites. The only one she was concerned about was the abdominal incision.

“I want to use an abdominal brace,” she told April. “About a 22”, I’d say.”

April grinned at me, “There are girls out there that are going to hate you on sight!”

Dr. Hanson removed the IV, “Won’t be needing that anymore.“

April brought in a plastic-wrapped item, when unwrapped, it looked like a corset designed by an engineer. This was placed around my abdomen and pulled up tight with Velcro straps. “That’s to make sure you don’t pop anything loose” Dr. Hanson said.

April brought in a wheelchair. I was helped up, put on my robe, then seated in the chair. They whisked me down a floor to the therapy room, which resembled your typical fitness center.

I was turned over to one of the therapists, a svelte young woman named Jill, who proceeded to drag me through the ringer backwards, or so it seemed. An hour later, not only did my abdomen hurt, so did my arms and legs. As I was wheeled off to be buried, Jill bid me a cheery “See you this afternoon!”. Oh, no! That’s not going to happen! Just let me die in peace!

When I got back to my room, Dr. Hanson was waiting for me, looking indecently cheerful, I thought. At the look on my face, she actually laughed!

“I know you may not believe it, but you did quite well,” she said. “If it makes you feel any better, I’ve removed your bed restriction. You can now go to the bathroom and move around the room.”

“I’ll be lucky if I ever get out of bed again,” I told her.

“Oh, I think we can help with that.” She handed me a cup with several pills in it and a glass of water. “These are some analgesics and a mild muscle relaxer.”

I downed the pills and laid back with a groan. “After this afternoon’s session, you get a nice soak in the whirlpool. You’ll feel much better tomorrow.”

“I could hardly feel worse,” I moaned.

Dr. Hanson patted my arm, “You’ll make it, trust me.”

After she left, April came in with a bottle of liniment. “This will help, I promise” she said. Donning gloves, she worked the liniment into my legs and arms, then rolled me over and rubbed my back.

“Ooh, that feels good,” I told her. “Will you marry me?”

She smacked me smartly on my butt, “Watch it, or I’ll tell Kathy!”

By noon I was feeling better, and I was absurdly excited to see actual bits of meat and vegetables in my soup. After eating, April assisted me to the bathroom, then it was back to the torture chamber!

The whirlpool bath helped more than I would have thought, and I was loose-limbed when I was wheeled back to my room. April came in with the pills after I got back, as well as my daily shot in the backside. I lay back in my bed and immediately went to sleep.

“Wake up, sleeping beauty.” I cautiously cracked an eye open, yes, it was Kathy. After a long, pleasant kiss, I started laughing.

“What’s so funny” she asked, so I told her about us winning the bet for Cheryl the night before.

Kathy laughed also, “I’m going to want a cut of the action” she said. “I see you survived your therapy sessions today.”

“No, I didn’t. They just haven’t come to bury me yet.”

“Baby!” Kathy said to me. I told her about the various indignities that were visited on me.

“Well you better get better quick, I’m not going to be around the house to wait on you when you get out,” she said.

“Which reminds me, did you ask Dr. Hanson when you’re being discharged?”

“No, I forgot,” I admitted.

“Some things never change,” Kathy said with an exaggerated sigh. “I’ll go check at the nurses station, they may know.”

She was back quickly, “Thursday morning, after morning rounds, if all goes well.”

“Great! I got a bunch of things to do,” I told her.

“I doubt you’re going to be doing much of anything, at least at first,” Kathy said.

“Well, nothing very physical, anyway,” I admitted.

Just then Marsha stuck her head in the door, “Ready for dinner?”

“Sure, why not” I replied.

She brought in a covered tray and set it in front of me, then whisked the cover off with a flourish. “Ta-Da!” On the plate was a small chicken breast, mashed potatoes, and green beans.

“Real Food!” I exclaimed.

“Your reward,” Marsha said. “I’ve got another one out there with your name on it, Kathy, if you’re hungry?”

“Please, that would be much appreciated,” Kathy replied.

The plate was cleaned all too quickly. I idly chased the last bit of green beans around with my fork, then speared it and popped it in my mouth.

“That’s the most food I think I’ve seen you eat,” Kathy said.

“That’s the most I’ve eaten in a long time,” I admitted.

“At least you’ll be able to help me with all the food that’s been brought over. I’ve had to freeze most of it.”

“Good thing,” I told her.

“Why?”

“I don’t think I’ll be up to standing over a hot stove cooking for awhile yet, but I should be able to warm stuff up.”

“That reminds me,” Kathy said, “I was thinking maybe we should give Suzanne a house key, you know, just in case.”

“I knew there was another reason I married you besides your looks,” I said, “Good idea.”

That earned me another kiss, and Kathy’s kisses should be enjoyed whenever possible. A couple of minutes later, Marsha came in to collect the trays.

“I guess you two are done now,” as she picked up my tray. “Yes, it was delicious!” I told her.

As she walked out, she turned and grinned at us, “I wasn’t talking about dinner!”. I stuck my tongue out at her in reply.

Kathy rolled her eyes, “How much longer are you going to have that tattletale bug on your chest?”

“I dunno. Look on the bright side,” I said.

“What bright side?”

“You have objective proof of the effect you have on me,” I said smiling.

The rest of the evening is hardly worth telling about. We watched some TV, and amused ourselves in other ways that need not be related. Kathy left about 8:30, and I easily went to sleep without need of sedatives.

Tuesday was pretty much a repeat of Monday, except that I didn’t hurt as much as I had Monday. Tuesday afternoon, I was given a walker and encouraged to exercise by walking around the corridors.

Out of curiosity, I made my way down to the Maternity Ward, and went to the nursery where the viewing window was. I stood there trying to decide how I felt about the idea of actually bearing a child and becoming a mother.

“Which one’s yours?”

I turned and a young couple stood there. The wife was thin with a huge belly, looking rather like a board balanced on a basketball I thought. Her husband stood with his arm around her, as much for physical as moral support.

“Oh, none. I just had surgery the other day, and I came down to look at the babies while exercising,” I told them.

“They’re beautiful, aren’t they,” she said. “I’m Connie, and this is my husband Gary.”

“I’m Kari, pleased to meet you.”

“Kari, that’s a pret-OOF!” and Connie grabbed her belly.

“Honey, you’d better sit down,” Gary said, as I asked “You alright?”

“I’m fine,” she said, “They’re kicking down there again,” but she allowed her husband to assist her into the wheelchair sitting just behind. “Twins,” she told me, “I think they’re fighting over the room. There they go again! So, you don’t have any children?”

“No”

“Would you like to feel,” she asked, indicating her belly.

“You don’t mind?”

“No, go ahead,” and she guided my hand to a spot on her belly. At first there was nothing, then “Whap” and then another. I kneeled next to her, my hand on her belly, but my mind was a million miles away.

“Gary, would you get me something to drink? Something with ice in it, from downstairs. I’ll be fine here,” Connie asked her husband.

“Sure, I’ll be back in about five, don’t run off” he said.

“As if” Connie turned to me, “You said you just had surgery?” I nodded. “Female problems?” she asked.

“Yeah, sorta” I replied.

“You can’t have children,” it wasn’t quite a question.

“Yes and no,” I told her. “My ovaries are damaged, but my sister has offered me all the eggs I need if I want to try to carry a child,” I told her. “How did you know?”

“The look on your face when we came up, you looked sort of wistful. Then when you felt the babies kick, your face told me something was wrong.”

“I’m confused, I don’t know which way I want to go. Suddenly, having a child seems so important, but I can’t imagine myself dropping everything to make that kind of commitment. At least, not right now.”

“It’s a big decision,” Connie said. “We had to use fertility drugs to get these. We’ve been trying for years. If you don’t mind some advice, take your time, make sure what you want.” She reached over and squeezed my hand.

Any further conversation was forestalled by the simultaneous arrival of her husband and Suzanne and Brittany.

“There she is, mommy!” and Brittany came running up to me and gave me a hug.

“The nurse said you’d headed down this way,” Suzanne said. “Window shopping?”

I stood up, hard to do as Brittany continued to cling to me, and introduced them to Connie and Gary. Brittany stood close by me and grabbed my left hand in her right, as Connie looked at her and then me. She reached over and gripped my arm, “You’ll do fine”.

She winced as another kick disturbed her, “Driver, back to the room. I think the game has gone into extra innings! Nice meeting all of you”, she told us.

“Getting your exercise?” Suzanne asked.

“Yeah, but I think I’ve had enough for now” I said. “Let’s hobble back to my room.”

On the way back we passed a sign that said Pediatric Ward. A thought occurred to me, “Do you mind a quick detour,” I asked Suzanne.

“You lead, we’ll follow.” I went to the nurses station which was just inside the door.

“May I help you,” the nurse behind the desk asked.

“I was wondering, can the children have flowers and plants? I’ve got a ton of them in my room, and I’m getting out in a day and a half. I thought maybe they would be appreciated here.”

“Most of the children are allowed to have flowers and plants, and they would certainly brighten up the rooms. We’d love to have them,” the nurse told me.

“Fine, I’ll organize the transfer tomorrow afternoon” I said.

When we got back to my room, Kathy was waiting for us. “Figured you’d show up sooner or later, so I decided to sit here and rest my feet in the meantime.”

“Sounds like a good idea,” I said. I sat on the bed and carefully swung my legs up onto the mattress, stretching out with a sigh of relief. Brittany immediately moved to climb up next to me. Her mother started to stop her, then looking at my grin, let her go.

“Guess where we found her,” Suzanne asked Kathy, pointing at me. “Looking at the newborns in the Nursery!” Brittany meanwhile had snuggled up under my arm, which I circled around her.

“I was doing some thinking,” I protested. “Something you keep accusing me of not doing!

By the way,” I said, turning to Suzanne, “We’d like to ask a favor of you.”

“Sure,” she replied without hesitation.

“Don’t you want to know what it is first?”

“Nope,” she replied, holding up a key on a ring.

“I called her from the shop, and stopped and had a duplicate made on the way over.” Kathy said.

“I’ll be glad to get out of here,” I said with exasperation, “I feel like I’m a step behind everybody else!”

Suzanne laughed, then sobered. “Now I’ve got a favor to ask of you and Kathy. I’d feel better knowing there’s somebody close, that Brit trusts, in case something should happen to Ralph or me. Our nearest family is over a thousand miles away. I’d like to list you two as alternate guardians with the school, and her doctor, that sort of thing.”

“Suzanne, I’d be honored,” I told her, “But this is pretty quick off the mark, isn’t it? I’ve never even met your husband, and you haven’t known us all that long.”

“I talked with Ralph on the phone last night, he trusts my judgment. Besides, I think the decision has already been made anyway,” she said, pointing at Brittany, who’d laid an arm across my chest and was fast asleep. I looked over at Kathy.

“Of course, Suzanne,” she said. “I’m touched that you trust us that much.”

“Thank you, thank you both,” Suzanne said. “I’ll have to have you sign some papers, for the school and the doctor, that sort of thing, but here.” she pulled a key out of her purse and handed it to me.

“The key to my treasure,” she said, nodding at Brittany. We all three looked like leaky faucets by then, as hugs were exchanged. Suzanne excused herself then, gathered up a sleepy Brittany and left..

I looked at Kathy then. “I don’t imagine you had any idea what you were getting into, did you? Maybe a little more than you bargained for?” I asked.

“Kari, I found a wonderful, loving person when I found you. I’m not surprised others see the same things I see.” She sat down next to me and pulled me up into clinch that curled my toes. It was several minutes before I finally had to come up for air, and I leaned over and laid my head on Kathy’s shoulder.

“I love you” I told her.

“I love you too” Kathy replied.

Laurie and Kelli came by Tuesday evening. As I thought, when Kelli was with one of the others her “excitability” level was higher. Of course, once they found out I was going home they had to have our home address. Laurie promised they’d be by Saturday or Sunday to see how I was doing. I’d had another full day and the nurse shooed everybody out so I could got to sleep.

Wednesday morning, Dr. Hanson pronounced herself quite pleased with my progress, and dropped another bombshell on me.

“Kari, there’s something else you will have to get used to.”

“What’s that?”

“Menstrual periods.”

“You are kidding, right?”

“Actually, no. It appears that your body is settling into female mode completely, and I expect you will start having your periods very shortly. Even though your tubes are tied, your period will proceed normally. Later on, we can use various drugs to regulate the number of periods you have, or even eliminate them. But for now, the natural way is best for you.”

I have no idea what my face looked like, but it must have been a sight.

“Didn’t plan on this, did you?”

“I had no idea,” I told her.

“Kathy will be able to help you with this, but I want to see you as soon as it starts,” Dr. Hanson told me.

“Count on it,” I said.

“I’ll send a box of various samples of tampons and pads home with you, so you can try them out.”

“Now, I see no reason not to discharge you in the morning, you’re doing quite well. I want you to be extremely cautious about your activities for the first 7 -10 days. Take baths, not showers. Don’t overdo things. A short walk each day is ok, no more than a block total. No heavy lifting, no lifting above your head. I’ll set up an appointment for you to come in in about a week, if everything looks good, we’ll remove the dressing covering your incision. I’m leaving it on now to minimize any scarring.”

My mind was a total wreck during my physical therapy. Periods? Me? What I’d read suggested to me that the estrogen doses I was taking would eliminate that. Time to do some more research.

April interrupted my musings with lunch. “Penny for your thoughts” she laughed.

“Not worth it, I’m afraid. Hey, I need some help this afternoon.”

“Sure, what can I do?”

“I need an orderly with a cart to move a bunch of these flowers and plants to the Pediatric Ward. I checked with the nurses there and they’d be happy to have them for the children.”

“Kari, you are a honey! Of course the kids will love these flowers!” she said. “When do you want to do it?”

"After I get back from therapy. I want to keep a few of these, so I need to be here when they’re loaded.”

“No problem, I’ll have one here at 3:30, alright?”

“Sounds good” I said.

Afternoon‘s session went better, as I’d managed to distract myself by thinking about the kids getting those flowers. The orderly was waiting as promised, and I directed the loading of the various bundles of flowers and plants, keeping only a few that I wanted to take home. When he departed, I set out on my afternoon prowl of the hallways.

After wandering around aimlessly for a while, I decided to see how Connie was doing. I asked at the nurses station what room she was in, explaining that I’d met them the day before but didn’t know their last name.

Properly cautious, the nurse called and confirmed that I was indeed a patient in the hospital before telling me which room was Connie’s. I knocked and stuck my head in the door, “Want some company?”

“Hi Kari! Come on in!”

“How are the kids doing” waving my hand at her distended belly. “Still kick boxing?”

“No, I think they’ve taken up tennis,” she replied laughing. “How are you doing?”

“Pretty good, actually. I’m being discharged in the morning.”

“I can’t wait until I get out of here,” Connie said.

“How much longer?” I asked.

“Three weeks, hopefully. They’re so near full-term, but things were getting too difficult for me to stay home.”

“Three weeks in here! That’s a long time!”

“Worth it though, if I can get these two out healthy,” she replied. We chatted a bit, then I had to get back to my room.

“Come by if you have the chance,” Connie said.

“Depends on how fast I heal.” I said. “I may not be able to get out for awhile. If I gave you my number, could Gary give me a call when you go in?”

“If he remembers! I may have to call you myself.” I gave her my number and promised to stay in touch.

Kathy was waiting when I got back to the room.

“Things look a little bare in here,” she said.

“I found a good home for them,” I said, and told her about sending them to the Pediatrics Ward.

“That’s a great idea! To tell the truth, I was afraid I’d have to rent another U-Haul to get them all home,” she said.

“Speaking of which, everything ready for my homecoming?” “Yep, fresh sheets on the bed, refrigerator is stocked, everything is set.”

“I will be so happy to be home and sleeping in my own bed,” I said.

“OUR bed, if you don’t mind,” Kathy corrected me with a grin.

“I don’t mind at all! But, until the visitors slow down, we need to make the front bedroom look “occupied”. I’ve got some ideas on that, you’ll have to help me when we get home,” I told her.

“Okay” she said. “Now, I’ve got some things for you. First, all this came in the mail,” and she handed me a stack of envelopes and a box of checks, all addressed to Karielle Elyse Taylor.

Opening the envelopes, I found new credit cards and a new bank card in my new name. The checks were in my name on my existing account. “I need my purse,” and Kathy got it out from the small safe the hospital provided in each room.

“Next is this,” and Kathy handed me another checkbook and bank card. The checkbook cover was in electric blue, and opening it I saw that the checks had both her and my names on them.

“I opened a joint account for us, using the rest of the money Cindy loaned us,” Kathy told me. “You need to sign the account card, then you’ll be ready to go.”

I took my personal checkbook out and wrote a check to our account, filled out a deposit slip, and handed them to Kathy. “I’ll set up a regular transfer to our account for my contribution.”

“That’s not all,” Kathy said, “Cindy did some more of her excellent work” and she handed me my new birth certificate and other documents, all showing me to be Karielle Elyse Taylor, female.

“Now I can get my drivers license!” I said gleefully.

“Umm, I did a little cheating there,” Kathy said, and handed me a drivers license with my new name, sex and picture on it. Then I took a closer look, and realized that it was Kathy on the DL.

“I figured since we looked alike, I’d save you some time and hassle. I got that this afternoon, on the way over. Hope you don’t mind,” she said with a little apprehension.

What she didn’t say was that she’d also saved me the embarrassment of having to turn in my old, male drivers license and endure the inevitable looks and comments.

“Kathy, you are wonderful, and I’m sure I don’t deserve you. Come here and let me give you a kiss!”

Once the important things were done, I gathered up all my goodies to put in the purse.

“One more thing,” and Kathy handed me a beautiful kid leather billfold. I opened it up and found spaces for all my new cards and IDs. In the photos section, there was a photo of Kathy, another of us together in our wedding dresses, cutting the cake, and a small copy of the photo of Brittany and I. I slipped the license in the special window provided, put in the new checks for our joint account, and transferred all the rest of my stuff from the old billfold I’d been using.

I turned the billfold over and over in my hands, opening it back up and examining all the contents, then closing it up and holding it in my hands. “So, do you like it? I looked at her, and Kathy wasn’t as surprised to see I was crying as I was to realize it.

“It’s wonderful! It’s all wonderful! Thank you! Oh, I don’t know why I’m crying, but thank you!” Kathy gave me a hug and held me as I snuffled.

“Honey, it’s what we women do when we’re happy. It’s perfectly alright!” She handed me some tissue and I dried my tears.

I examined it one more time, then handed it to Kathy, “Put this away so nothing happens to it, please.”

Kathy then pulled out a couple of large paper shopping bags.

“I’m going to haul some of this home tonight so we won’t have to deal with it in the morning. And I brought you some things to wear home. She pulled out a light blue shirtwaist dress, and one of my Victoria’s Secret demi bras and matching panties, along with some hose and a pair of flats.

Marsha came in just then, “Hold on, there’s something else.” She ducked out, then came back in with April, Cheryl, Jill the physical therapist, and several other nurses, including one I recognized as the nurse from the Pediatrics Ward. Standing in the back I was surprised to see the hospital administrator, Mr. Harwell.

April stepped forward with a large wrapped package. “Kari, we don’t usually do this, but in the week you’ve been here, you’ve shown yourself to be a special person to all of us, and a special friend to all the nurses. So we’ve named you as an honorary nurse here at University Medical Center.”

She handed the package to me and I unwrapped it. Inside was a shiny, polished bedpan. Inside was a plaque, on which was inscribed “Karielle Elyse Taylor, Honorary Nurse, University Medical Center” with today’s date. Once again I was crying, and laughing at the same time.

“Thank you all very much! I’ll hang this, um, somewhere!” Then everybody was laughing and they all came up in turn and gave me hugs.

Mr. Harwell stepped up and shook my hand. “Thank you, Ms Taylor, for reminding us how important the human element is in healing.” Not knowing how to respond, I mumbled something polite in return.

“You know, we are always looking for people of your caliber for our nursing program. If you should decide you’re interested, I’d be more than happy to assist you in enrolling,” Mr. Harwell said.

“I uh, I’m honored,” I told him.

“Think about it, Kari,” Marsha chimed in. “You’ve got what it takes here” and she touched my chest over my heart, “and you’re smart enough to learn the rest.”

“I won’t make any promises” I said, “but I will think about it.”

When they’d all left, I lay on the bed and looked at my “award”. “Where the heck am I going to hang this?”

“How about the third bedroom?” Kathy said. “We could set it up as a small office, put the computer and stuff like that in there.”

“Good idea! I can also set up my editing bay in there.”

“What’s that”, Kathy asked.

“I thought maybe I’d look into getting back into television news photography. I’m going to get my old Betacam serviced, and I’m considering the purchase of a new HDTV-capable cam and editing equipment.”

“Sounds expensive,” Kathy said.

“It is, but it was my career goal several years ago. Now that I’ve gotten a life again, I thought I should do something with it.”

“You could always stay home and be a housewife,” Kathy said, grinning.

“Um, no.”

Just then Marsha brought in the dinner trays. Lifting the cover, I was surprised to see a small steak with the trimmings!

“Is this on my diet,” I asked in surprise.

“You planning on complaining,” Marsha asked.

“No! Not at all!”

Marsha winked at me, “Enjoy!”.

After the delicious meal, Kathy loaded up the sacks.

“Since I’ve got to be back here first thing in the morning, I’m going to go get a good night’s sleep” she said. She gave me a kiss sadly lacking in calories, but promised better after we got home.

This was the first time in this entire stay that I’d been truly alone and awake. I started thinking about where I’d come from, and where I was going. The changes in my life were truly amazing. The thing was, I was also happier than I’d could ever remember being. So much pain had brought me to this point, but could I have gotten here without it?

If I had been raised as a female, where would I be now? Would I have loved a man as much as I love Kathy? Somehow, I couldn’t imagine it. Whatever had brought me here, “here” was a very good place to be. But what lay in the future? Would I be a photographer, a nurse, a mother? Hell, I could even be “a singer in a rock & roll band” quoting from a Moody Blues song! And how many of those diverse goals were mutually exclusive?

Did I want to become a mother at some point? Kathy and Suzanne seemed sure I would, but I wasn’t as positive. Yes, I loved Brittany, and having her with me felt good, but I knew motherhood wasn’t always that easy. It seemed to me that Dr. Hanson and I would have a lot to talk about in the future.

A tap at the door interrupted my reverie. Marsha stuck her head through the door, “How ya doing?”

“I don’t really know, got about ten hours? I can try to outline it for you” I told her.

“Oh, deep thoughts time,” she replied.

“Yeah. Come on in and sit down, if you don’t have anything else you need to be doing.”

She laughed, and sat down. “How about a summary?”

“It seems I’m at a crossroads, with many paths before me. Several of the paths seem to go in the same direction, several don’t. Frankly, I’m not used to having such a range of choices,” I said. “Before, my life always passed from point a to point b to point c, like following a well-marked highway, with mile markers to measure my progress. Then two years ago, that road was destroyed, blown up by somebody’s hate."

"Last year, I thought I’d found the road again, but then somebody’s recklessness stole it from me. Now, I’m at this point, and I have to make decisions. Which path, or paths do I follow? And having chosen, how do I know that road won’t be stolen from me again. It may sound strange, but I’m so happy right now it scares me.”

Marsha seemed to ponder my words for a moment.

“Kari, I don’t have any magic to help you. What you’re facing is something that happens to some of us. Some, but not all. You’ve got choices that many would envy. Others who have been in your situation would pity you. You’ve got resources that you can use: Kathy, Dr. Hanson, even your friends. But in the end, the choice will be yours to make.”

She got up and walked over to my bed, and laid a hand over my heart. “I can tell you this, the answer has to come from here. If, in your heart, you feel the choice is right, then you will have made a good choice.”

“Now, it’s time to say good night.”

She picked up a paper cup from a tray I hadn’t noticed, “This is just a mild sleeping aid, if you want it. I’ll leave it here on your table. I won’t be here when you leave in the morning, so I want to say good bye to you. You’ve turned this place on it’s ear while you were here, and I think that’s been a good thing. You’re a very special young woman, Kari, and it’s been a pleasure to have known you.”

Without even thinking about it, I swung out of bed and hugged her. “Thank you, Marsha! You’re special to me, too!” My eyes were leaking, but I didn’t care. I released her, and it seems I wasn’t the only one with leaky eyes. “Not goodbye, Marsha, just until the next time we meet.” Marsha nodded and squeezed my hand, then left.

I got into bed, poured myself a glass of water, and picked up the pill. After looking at it in my hand, I laughed softly to myself. “No, I don’t think so.” I dumped the pill back in the cup and turned the light out.

Thursday started early, with April waking me just after seven.

”Come on, hit the deck! Time’s a wasting!” I grumbled back at her, I’ll never be a morning person. “Let’s go! I’m going to start your shower.”

“Shower! Is that allowed?” I asked.

“Only when you’re monitored by medical assistance. I’ll be right there with you. Do you mind?”

“Can I get you to scrub my back?”

“Sorry, you’re on your own,” she giggled.

“Well, that sure takes all the fun out of it!”

The shower felt good, but it was in and out. April wasn’t taking any chances that I might slip. As soon as I was toweled off, she had me back sitting on the bed. I pointed out what I was going to wear home, and she helped me on with my undergarments. Everything else she packed in my suitcase.

“I’ll be back with your breakfast in a few.”

Kathy came in just after that, “Well, up and around already, I see.”

“Yes, April’s already been through here like a tornado,” I told her.

Kathy got my purse out of the safe, and pulled out my makeup bag.

“Well, let’s make you look decent” and she swiftly applied a light layer of cosmetics to my face.

I stopped her as she was about to apply my lipstick, “Hold on there, I’ve got something due me first!”

Kathy grinned and gave me a quick but firm kiss.

“Will that hold you until we get home?”

“Guess it’ll have to,” I grumbled. Kathy patted me on the cheek, and finished making me up. Next she turned her attention to my hair, pulling it back into a French braid.

April brought in my breakfast tray just then.

“Sorry, none for you,” she told Kathy, “But I did wrangle some coffee and pastry.”

“That’ll do fine,” Kathy told her. “Thank you.”

After eating, Kathy went around the room, gathering up the rest of my possessions and packing them in a bag. Right at 9, Dr. Hanson came in along with April.

“Well, looks like you’re ready to escape this place” she said.

“Yes, I certainly am!” I told her.

“Let’s just have a look. She pulled back the sheet, and paused to admire my fancy lace bra and panties, “Pretty”. Then she turned her attention to the incision on my abdomen.

“Hmmm, don’t see any reason to keep you any longer” Dr. Hanson said. “Kathy, you can go sign her out. We’ll be waiting for you when you get back.”

Kathy left and Dr. Hanson turned back to me. “Kari, I’ve set up an appointment for you next Tuesday, and if you want to keep on seeing me, we’ll make set up a regular schedule then.”

“As a matter of fact, I do.”

“Good. I’ve got to go sign some orders and prescriptions for you, I’ll be right back. April will help you finish getting dressed.”

I had just slipped on the dress when Kathy and Dr. Hanson came back in, followed by an orderly pushing a wheelchair. I sat down in the chair and the orderly went out and came back with a cart, which he loaded with my stuff.

“Take that down to the ER entrance, we’ll be there in a few,” Dr Hanson told him. April pushed me down the hall, but turned before reaching the elevators.

“Where are we going,” I asked, confused.

“Some people want to say thank you,” April said and pushed me through the doors of the Pediatric Ward. Waiting inside were about a dozen children, some standing, some in wheelchairs. One little girl was supporting herself with an IV stand.

A little girl who was maybe a few years older than Brittany, her bald head showing the effects of chemotherapy, came up to me.

“Miss Karielle, we just wanted to say thank you for all the pretty flowers and plants. They’re lovely!” She handed me a homemade card showing all the children, in beds and wheelchairs, surrounded by flowers and plants. Inside it said Thank You! in big letters, and was signed by the children.

“Honey, you’re so very, very welcome!”

“Okay, children, back to bed,” the Peds nurse said. Several of them waved and said good bye then April tuned me around and took me out.

When we got in the elevator Kathy fussed over my “ruining your makeup”, but she had tears in her eyes also.

Once we got to the ER, Kathy brought around her car and all my stuff was loaded up. A last hug from April, and I was finally free to go home. HOME! I’d left there a depressed young man, I was returning a happy young woman!

Epilogue

“Well, Kari, you’ve come a long way” Dr. Hanson said. “It’s hard to believe it’s only been a year.”

“Yes, it is” I said. “Elliot seems almost like a dream to me sometimes, like a book I read one time and put down.”

Dr. Hanson looked at the confident young woman seated in front of her. “I believe that wraps up our sessions,” she said. “I think you’ll find Dr. Palmer to be an excellent ob/gyn, but if you ever feel the need to talk, give me a call. And let me know how you’re doing.”

“Oh, I will. I owe a lot to you.”

“Your mind’s made up about children?” she asked.

“Yes it is” I told her.

“Good luck to you, then.

Good bye.”

“Good bye, doctor.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those who might question the speed of these events, the medical background and procedures, or the way the hospital in the story is run, hey, that's the way it works in MY universe!

Notes:

This is the fifth and final part of a fairly long story, with several sequels in the works. A big hug and thank you to Angel O'Hare, who has kindly proofread portions of it. Any mistakes left are mine.

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
73 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

TWINS

That was a lovely story, Karen. I didn't feel the ending was too long, provided you go on to explore these issues, which I gather is your plan. This is not the end of her story, it's the end of the beginning.

Yes, I love a good action adventure, but I'm also really getting into the sweet/sentimental stories here, and this was a lovely example. I second the recommendation that you add a tearjerker warning to your lengthy and amusing disclaimer.

Now, let's see if I can find the beginning of the rest of Kari's story.

Alexa
P.S. Did I mention it was lovely?

A simply superb story!

Andrea Lena's picture

....one of the best I've read. I want to thank you for this and your other work here. I hope we get to see some writing of yours real soon!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Wonderful

I can't wait for any of the sequels to twins. This story has shown waht true frendship and a caring heart can really accomplish.
May your muse never run dry and your stories capture many more hearts.

Hugs
Jayme

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in true friendship

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

I read it and I'm

I read it and I'm impressed.
It's a very good first novel.

Cheers
Yoron.

Twins

I can't add much to the comments that other readers have posted. I so enjoy a story that is well written, has a plausible plot, lovable characters and a happy ending. This has all the necessary ingredients. Thank you so much.

Hugs,

Susie

Happy Anniversary Karen_J and Twins

One year ago today Karen posted the fifth and last part of Twins, one of my favorite stories here.

She has a nice start on the sequel, Kari!,--boy those Southerners love !!!!, don't they?

Thanks, nice lady in Texas, and I hope your muse delivers more of this and other stories to us.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Karen is a very nice person as she has yet to kill me for all the grief I give her.

John in Wauwatosa

threepeats

Just read your story for the third time, enjoyed for the third time too, figured this time I should mentioned how much I enjoyed it.

captivating

Karen,

thanks for this wonderful story!
When I started reading "Twins" four hours ago, I knew after the first few paragraphs that I wouldn't be able to stop reading till the end. After each part I tried to find words for a comment, but the urge to read on got to strong :-)

M

Martina

Great Story!

And, yes, I love a happy ending as much as anyone. If this be escapist literature, why then, make the most of it, say I!

I look forward to reading your other work, including any sequels. I'd love to find out if Kari has any children of her own.

While I don't have a problem reading stories with a lesbian theme, since I'm hetero, myself, I hope some of your work goes that way, too.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

This story should have way more Kudos

It's well written has a good plot with strong characters and has a happy ending. I enjoyed reading it immensely.

Thank you!

Thank you for your generous review. Kari is kind of a surrogte for me, at least as I wish things had gone.

I'm afraid the stories posted before the kudo system was installed will always be behind.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Outstanding Karen!

Breanna Ramsey's picture

And I can't say that enough, outstanding! Such a warm and caring story filled with people that engendered a real sense of love and strength for me.

I have only one complaint....the ending was cruel!!!! Arggghhh how can you leave me hanging like that?

I'm kidding of course. I am a firm believer that a great story never really ends and I always look forward to seeing beloved characters return. I think I know what Kari's decision is, but I'll just have to wait and see.

Again, you have done a marvelous job!

Sincerely,
Scott

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Wonderful!

karen - Likeable characters, engaging dialogue, and a story that kept my interest all the way through and left me hoping for more - you've got the recipe, all right!I can't congratulate you enough for a tremendous first story! Of course, now that you've fed the beast once, it hungers for more, so . . . what's next? More tales of Kari and Kathy? Or something completely new!

jaime

Disclaimer

You need to add 'may cause sudden bouts of tears' to your disclaimer. This is a wonderfull story. I congratulate you on your efforts dear. Thank you for writing this piece.

Love,

Paula

When the lines between reality and fantasy blur, true magic can begin.

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Kari decides to make Rock 'N Roll ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... her career and gets hooked on sex and drugs. After she slaps Brittany in a drunken rage, kathy divorces her and Suzanne ... Of course I don't mean a word of that scenario, but see what happens when mean and cruel authors leave frustrated readers to come up with their own endings? :-) My real imagined ending? Kari becomes a pediatrics nurse and puts her musical talents also to use in that career. Suzanne's husband donates sperm, and Kari has twin girls followed by Kathy having a daughter and then later a son ... who turns out to be a wonderful part time daughter as well. (What? This IS TG fiction you know :-)

Great and wonderfully sweet story. Congrats, Karen !!

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Still More To Come!

Thanks for all the kind words! It's great to know that my people have been so well received!

There will be more stories with Kari and Kathy, never fear. I'm also writing a much darker tale, not involving them. It spun out of an off the cuff comment I made a week or so ago. The problem with it is the beginning and the ending came to me with no effort, but the middle is giving me fits. Frankly, it's also caused me several sleepless nights, as the subject hits way too close to home.

But Kari and Kathy will always be my favorites, and I'll keep writing their stories as long as there is anything to tell. And with alert readers pointing out things even I hadn't noticed, that may be a long time yet.

Thanks again!
Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Twins

Very well done Karen.

I first thought it was Karen Page that wrote this, then realized it was the person who gave me back my beautiful angel.

Your story was fabulous. The last chapter had me in tears.

Hope to see more of your stories in the future.

Hugs
Joni

Fabulous!

That was a wonderful story! Very well written. Hopefully there will be a sequel, I really want to find out if Kari has any children!

Thank you again!

Twins

I rate this story and this chapter in particular, 5 hankies. Keep up the very good work.

Hugs,
Cindy

Wonderful

The ending was in the best tradition of Tanya Allan (a british writer of TG stories, see Sapphires or Maddy Bell sites), but in your own style. You had me near sniffles a few times.

Will Kari's body continue to suprise the doctor's and she can produce, perhaps with invetro help, viable eggs of her own? Even as is, it's a pretty happy ending in she can carry Karen's children and sperm doaners will not be a problem. Suzanne's or nurse April's husbands would be willing and have their wive's enthusiastic consent. Brittany would love a half sister or brother; I think she will insist.

I do like happy endings; I guess the Disney(C) stuff sticks.

Look forward to more works by you, thanks for sharing.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

The Parenthood Trap

First, a big Thank You to Joni and the rest for the nice things y'all are saying. (Yes, Joni, I'm that Karen!)

Kari has most all her irons in the fire at this point, nothing has been excluded. Look for her to explore pretty much all her options. But don't look for an answer to the parenthood question for awhile. She has a few adventures to go before then.

I'll be honest, even I was in tears a few times! That's why I'm so happy that y'all have enjoyed my story, it validates the feelings I had when I wrote it. At the risk of being a "silly sentimental bitch" as Kathy put it, I like a good tearjerker with a happy ending.

There will be sequels to this, I promise. But I can't say when, exactly. I'm behind in my reading of the other stories being posted, so I want to take a break and catch up. But when I do finish a sequel, you'll see it here on BC!

Thanks to Erin for having such a fine website!

Love & Hugs!
Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Nothing, Really...

...for me to add to all the laudatory comments above, except to thank you for a very enjoyable story.

Eric

Just goes to show you...

...that more great "NEW" writers find their way here to the Big Closet. To know that the comments shared here are more numerous, heartfelt, and meaningful than at any other site I've ever been to. To know that helping hands reach out and offer to help the new writers here has made this place a very special one.

Karen J. Taylor. you are a great writer, your story reaches into the heart and makes people smile and feel good. Congratulations Karen!

Loved the story

Karen;

I just had to tell you how much I enjoyed the story and the wonderful characters you created. I eagerly look forward to more.

Kate
"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats."

Kate
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." William Gibson

My Pleasure!

Thanks, Kate, glad you liked it! There are several sequels in the works, if I ever get off my can and get to work! Summertime blahs, ya know? So please be patient, and I promise there will be more from Karielle and Kathy's world.

Always pleased to see another R.A.H. fan! There's always Time Enough For Love, and love is what I want to show in my stories.

Karen
>^..^<


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Hurrah Happy Endings

Loved the Happy Ending! The tear jerking was a little painful, but nothing a box of tissue couldn't fix! I enjoyed the bit of humor from the nosey nieghbor Mrs. Carter. It gave a bit of depth and irony, since no one really noticed El but Kari and Kathy are loved.

Twins 5

Nice sweet ending, Karen.

I can tell that you were really into this one. As far as Kari choosing to have a kid? *cough* Come on, I know she will! She a woman, isn't she, with that reproductive urge? :)

As far as comparing you to Tanya Allan: strange, but I sent her a lengthy email as a review for three of her stories several days ago. In some ways you do write like her. You two absolutely love happy endings and are willing to go that extra mile, or kilometer, to get there.

I would dearly love to join the rest of the commenters and say wonderful ending, but I have to be honest. I think it went on too long, and I said the same thing to Tanya. Strictly as a literary comment, it would have been more powerful, in my opinion, to skip some of those sidelines with the Nurse April, sending flowers, Nurse Marsha, the banter with the diet, and so forth, and compress the numerous visits of the different people. You could have cut this chapter in half easily, IMHO.

Of course, for those whose fantasy this is, the details are likely like water to a desert creature, and lapped up with delight, so you have to take my remarks in context. I could be a minority of one, and you are perfectly free to disregard this point if it doesn't make sense to you. :)

Regardless, it was a finely written and satisfying tale. You have quite a bit of talent.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Yes and No

I have mixed feelings on the ending.

Yes it could well have been shorter, and would have made sense to do so if Karen didn't have a story arc in mind.

I've been fortunate to see some of the future bits, and I believe the intent of all the stuff with April and the pregant mother, and the childrens cancer ward/flowers donation is to give us a feel for what Kari is becoming and will become -- an outgoing and extreamly caring individual.

I like Karen's characters so much that a bit of excess at times merely satisfies my addiction. Now get out there, Aardvark, and finish your Ruks Serium novela and maybe continue the Doctor Who silliness from Bot C -- not that I have any interst in that travesty of canon. The nerve of that 'tosa' guy perverting the Doctor's story like that!

Best wishes,

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

There ya go!

I won't deny it could have been shorter, perhaps I fell in love with my own words, or characters, or something. I didn't start out planning such an ambitious project, it just kept growing, and growing, and growing. . .

John has had the advantage of some sneek peeks at bits from the sequels, which may also be somewhat larger than needed. I'll take a look at them and see if some of the fat can be trimmed. No promises, though. ;)

The biggest problem with being a writer is it seriously impacts the time available to read other stories. I've been playing hooky lately, reading several other stories. Now it's time to get busy!

Thanks for the feedback!
Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I love a happy end

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Thanks for a great story.

with love,

HER

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.