Who Watches the Watcher? - 2 - Playing with Fire

Printer-friendly version
Who Watches The Watcher?
A Venus Cursed! Story
by Saless
Chapter 2 — Playing with Fire

First thing in the morning she went to the watcher's apartment to see what he was up to. To her surprise, he left right after breakfast. After observing him for a while she realized that he'd been put in charge of investigating all unusual phonomena in the area. Will this make things easier, or harder? she wondered.

She decided to continue with what she'd done the last two days, so she went downtown to look for something interesting to do. She found a bright, shiny red corvette parked on the street and decided it would work nicely. Leaving a magical marker on the car she wandered around until she found the police station. Perfect! Let's see what he makes of this! she thought as she teleported the car onto the roof of the police station. She made sure someone found it, and then returned to the watcher.

She followed him as he went to investigate the appearance of the car on the police station roof and was alarmed to see that he had already figured out that someone was playing with him. He hadn't figured out the reaon, though. She decided to continue with her plans and went looking for something else to do. Nothing really stood out, until she noticed an ATM machine. That should be interesting... she thought. She decided to put her plans into motion the next day, though, and went to see how the traveler was doing.

She was very glad to see that the traveler changed her father back. She's very well balanced considering all that has happened to her. I might just be able to leave her as is. Hmm, and her bond is evolving, I see. she thought. Satisfied that things were going well with the traveler, she went back to begin her preparations for her next 'distraction'.


 

Her plan went off without a hitch, and all the ATM machines in the city ejected all the money in them at the exact same time. She was watching the watcher when she activated her spell, so was able to see how quickly he learned of her little trick. She was disappointed to see that he sent someone else off to investigate, and that he was more convinced than ever that her 'distractions' were being perpetuated by the same person to confuse him.

She went back to watching the traveler after that. She and her friends were finally looking into ways to benefit financially from her powers. She'd expected them to do that at some point, and was gratified to see that they weren't stealing from other worlds to do it. Although one could technically call what they'd done theft, or graverobbing, but she knew that no one living had any rights to that treasure, so there was no harm to it.

After the incident with the other agent accosting the traveler's friend, she decided that the watcher needed something a little more...extreme to keep his attention. So, first thing in the morning she summoned up a fire elemental and set it loose on Main Street. She kept close to it, however, so as to make sure it didn't hurt anyone. If this doesn't take his attention away from the traveler and her friends, nothing will! she thought smugly.


 To Be Continued…
 

up
50 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Looks like Mana

Looks like Mana underestimated Marvin. Her little tricks are focusing more attention on the paranormal events and may adversely affect Sarah.

Juggle, juggle!! Watch out for that banana peel!

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Thanks Kirri, I think I've

Thanks Kirri, I think I've got it noooooooowwwww!!! *crash* *thud* *shatter* *thud* *bang!* *smash!* It's okay, my arms aren't broken, I can still write! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

But maybe you

Banged your head!!! And that's why you called Trish-Ann Kirri !!!

Kirri

Gah! I must have! Now I'll

Gah! I must have! Now I'll be writing about Susan and Fred, won't I?! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Ow how many

Wonderful tropes are there associated with figures wreathed in flames! Hmmm, I think Mana is a little bit untuned to normalcy right now. Really, letting loose a fire elemental, whatever did she think about? ;)

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

We are talking about someone

We are talking about someone who can travel between universes, transform herself at will, make other people not see her, summon elementals, and create solid illusions that can through SUVs through walls. What's normal for someone like that? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Correction

Someone untuned to mundanity. Happy now?

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

But Is This Mana

From this universe, or a manifestation from an alternate reality? Could Sarah actually be the Mana avatar for this reality?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Interesting...

Mana was happy to see that Sarah and company weren't stealing, but she thought nothing of throwing a big SUV through a window. Even the Corvette on the roof is an act of vandalism, since it's going to cost quite a bit (at least a thousand bucks or so) to get it safely off the roof. Renting a crane ain't cheap, ya know.

It's not that she's all that

It's not that she's all that concerned about the money; as Faraway says she's not entirely in touch with mundanity! But she is concerned with what kind of person Sarah is, because of how much power she has. Besides, to her, getting a car off of a roof is nothing! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Ms. Mxyzptlk?

I'm inclined to agree that our watcher-watcher here seems to be acting less than helpfully to Sarah and company. Angels and fire elementals don't really connect with action from our heroes, but these other pranks -- mass theft from ATMs and a car on the police roof -- will be considered criminal acts by the victims, and Sarah ought to be the primary suspect, based on modus operandi. While there's not enough there to arrest her, if I'm on the force I'd be trying to bring her into the station for questioning. (These aren't federal offenses; they're matters for the local police. If the FBI butts in I'm telling them to butt back out or at least wait their turn.) And it may be worth mentioning that flight can be used as evidence of guilt in California. (Or at least that's what Hamilton Burger and Lt. Tragg used to say...)

Eric

A Mason fan, eh? I always

A Mason fan, eh? I always liked that show, my mother used to watch reruns of it all the time!

The local police have absolutely no way of connecting any of this to Sarah, or anyone else, for that matter! Even Marvin only has an inkling that Sarah might somehow be involved in a couple of odd events.

As for flight, if Sarah did run, she could do it without ever leaving town, kind of! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America