Ma'at - Chapter 02: Inbw-hdj at the temple

Printer-friendly version

Synopsis:

An expedition to an ancient Egyptian city becomes a life-changing experience for a retired professor. (Not Forced Fem. though)

Story:

Ma‘at

Chapter 2: Inbw-hdj at the temple
By Itinerant
Edited by Amelia R.

"This is fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. It may or may not match the timeline, characters, and continuity, but since it's fan fiction, who cares? To see the canon Whateley Stories, check out either Sapphire's Place (http://www.sapphireplace.com/stories/whateley.html) or the Big Closet (http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/taxonomy/term/117)."

**********

From Chapter 1:

There was a hint of a chuckle in the mental voice. ~Patience, Dani. First, go to my temple; the high priestess is waiting for you. Take the time to rest, and tomorrow you will find out more of your path.~

*****

The building was quite small in comparison to the palace, or the main temple of Ptah, and the outside walls were plain and unadorned. She walked out of the bright sunlight into the shaded interior, and had to wait for her eyes to adjust to the relative darkness. The entry was a short corridor, perhaps five meters long, with carvings on either side. As her eyes adjusted, Dani's progress stopped. The carvings were the prototypes of the forty-two principles of Ma'at:

1. Thou shalt not kill, nor bid anyone kill.
2. Thou shalt not commit adultery or rape.
3. Thou shalt not avenge thyself nor burn with rage.
4. Thou shalt not cause terror.
5. Thou shalt not assault anyone nor cause anyone pain.
6. Thou shalt not cause misery.
7. Thou shalt not do any harm to man or to animals.
8. Thou shalt not cause the shedding of tears.
9. Thou shalt not wrong the people nor bear them any evil intent.
10. Thou shalt not steal nor take that which does not belong to you.
11. Thou shalt not take more than thy fair share of food.
12. Thou shalt not damage the crops, the fields, or the trees.
13. Thou shalt not deprive anyone of what is rightfully theirs.
14. Thou shalt not bear false witness, nor support false allegations.
15. Thou shalt not lie, nor speak falsely to the hurt of another.
16. Thou shalt not use fiery words nor stir up any strife.
17. Thou shalt not speak or act deceitfully to the hurt of another.
18. Thou shalt not speak scornfully against others.
19. Thou shalt not eavesdrop.
20. Thou shalt not ignore the truth or words of righteousness.
21. Thou shalt not judge anyone hastily or harshly.
22. Thou shalt not disrespect sacred places.
23. Thou shalt cause no wrong to be done to any workers or prisoners.
24. Thou shalt not be angry without good reason.
25. Thou shalt not hinder the flow of running water.
26. Thou shalt not waste the running water.
27. Thou shalt not pollute the water or the land.
28. Thou shalt not take the gods' names in vain.
29. Thou shalt not despise nor anger the gods.
30. Thou shalt not steal from the gods.
31. Thou shalt not give excessive offerings nor less than what is due.
32. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods.
33. Thou shalt not steal from nor disrespect the dead.
34. Thou shalt remember and observe the appointed holy days.
35. Thou shalt not hold back the offerings due the gods.
36. Thou shalt not interfere with sacred rites.
37. Thou shalt not slaughter with evil intent any sacred animals.
38. Thou shalt not act with guile or insolence.
39. Thou shalt not be unduly proud nor act with arrogance.
40. Thou shalt not magnify your condition beyond what is appropriate.
41. Thou shalt do no less than your daily obligations require.
42. Thou shalt obey the law and commit no treason.

The academician's mind pulled a later version of the list from the collection of facts stored from her long studies, and wondered how much the ancient proscriptions had propagated across the historical landscape. ~Golden truths in a plain wrapping. I wonder if these are some of the roots of the Hebrew's Ten Commandments?~

She stood, frozen in deep thought, until a voice from further inside the temple interrupted.

"Welcome to the temple, Meri-Ma'at. Your place is prepared for you."

~Beloved of Ma'at?~ Dani shivered at the implication.

The voice of the goddess echoed in her mind, accompanied by a warm feeling of comfort. ~How can you doubt the truth of the name, dear one?~

~It just seems ... arrogant and presumptuous to me. The only records I've seen have been of Pharaohs being called that.~

~And how many of them do you think were chosen as my avatar?~ Ma'at's chuckle interrupted the thought. ~Being humble is good, if not taken to an extreme, and I know your upbringing makes you even more hesitant about those claiming divine appointments. I chose you, though; I hope you will learn to trust me and my judgment.~

~I'm getting there, My Lady. Between my physical changes, the move so far into my past, and trying to understand what being your avatar means, it's an awful lot to adjust to.~

~I know, and you'll have the time you need to make those adjustments. You'll find that my High Priestess, Nebka, can be a help to you; she knows some of your past existence, so you can generally speak freely to her. Now you'd best pay attention; she's waiting for you to respond.~

Dani turned her attention outside herself again and found a small, older woman standing at the end of the corridor into the temple. The light from the outside revealed an amused smile -- almost a grin -- on the weathered face as the Priestess spoke again.

"My name is Nebka. Were you lost in thought, or were you praying to the Goddess?"

The new arrival returned a wry smile. "Call me Dani, Nebka. I suppose you could call it praying; I'm just trying to understand all that's going on. I have a hard time dealing with the idea of being her avatar."

The older woman nodded. "I understand at least a little of what you're going through. I didn't quite believe I wasn't imagining her call either. Come, now, you need food and rest; there will be time to talk later."

They made their way into the temple and stopped in a small room that was simply furnished, though more comfortably than the shared space for the women in the palace. A cushioned mattress, small desk, and a stool gave it the feel of a medieval monk's quarters. Dani found herself mildly conflicted; the prospect of sleeping alone for the first time in months was less attractive than expected.

~I'll miss them, especially Iri.~

The taller woman's reverie was interrupted again. "I know it isn't quite what you were used to before coming here, but these are the same size quarters as mine. We have common meals morning and evening, and I'll show you the baths on the way to this evening's meal. The other priestesses are anxious to see you."

"Now I know how Maureen O'Hara felt," Dani muttered under her breath, drawing a quizzical look from the priestess. "Sorry, I'm ...."

"... talking about someone from your past. The Goddess told me that you are a scholar whom she brought here from far down the river of time. She also said you have spent much of your life studying this land, but warned me that you would say things I wouldn't understand from time to time." She shook her head, as if to clear it. "If you leave your belongings here, I'll take you to the common room, where we have our meals."

Dani's stomach growled. "That sounds good to me." She dropped her bag on the floor by the mattress and followed Nebka out.

*****

If she weren't so worn, Dani would have laughed. She walked into the common room and a ripple of silence propagated through as the priestesses and priests noticed her arrival. Her hostess guided her to a table, where a young woman brought the two their meals -- a simple dish of bread, vegetables, and a little fish. The cups were filled with a drink that proved to be beer. Dani made a point to thank the youngster, but only caused her to blush in embarrassment and skitter away.

"That reaction is never easy to accept; they stop treating you as a person," Nebka sighed.

"Well known people in my homeland have the same problem." She paused to consume some of her meal. "Perhaps I can at least help the situation here." She stood, drawing a puzzled look from her companion and the other occupants of the room.

Dani spent quite a while walking along the tables, pausing to introduce herself to each person in the room. Some were too shy to respond, other than a quiet statement of their name; others shook off the awe and began to converse freely. From time-to-time Dani glanced toward her seat, where the High Priestess watched the confusion spread with the avatar's movements; she grinned at the bewilderment left behind.

At last, her rounds through the room complete, Dani resumed her seat. "I hope that will break the ice," she commented as she took a sip from her cup. She noticed the blank look on Nebka's face. "Problem?"

"What's ice?"

*****

The next morning was a little better; there were a few of the women in the baths who were willing to speak up after the episode in the common room. The young woman who served her morning meal was a bit less shy than the youngster of the previous evening, though she still insisted on calling Dani, 'Meri-Ma'at'.

As they walked to their first task for the day, Nebka gently chided the newcomer. "You may as well give up, Dani. There are men and women here whom I've known all my life, and ever since I was called to be High Priestess, I cannot get them to call me by my name anymore."

Dani smirked a little. "I suspect you acted the same way, too."

"I didn't say I expected anything else. I'm more amused by your persistence in trying to change how we act toward you."

"I can't really explain without you knowing a lot more about my homeland, and I'm not sure how much I should say about that. We respect the responsibilities people have, but most of us still treat those in authority as people."

"Isn't that disrespectful to the gods who put them in their place?"

Dani hesitated, and felt a gentle discouragement from Ma'at. "I fear that I can't say more, Nebka; the goddess can't let me say something that will disturb the flow of time. I think we need to change the topic of conversation; what do you have planned for this morning?"

"Since you're new to the temple, you should learn our ceremonies. It wouldn't be right for the Goddess' chosen to be unprepared. I have a room set aside where we can work on the songs undisturbed."

A look of horror grew on Dani's face. "Songs?!"

*****

Before noon, the look of horror had replicated itself on the High Priestess. She shook her head in frustration.

"I'm sorry, Dani, but your singing is ..." She trailed off, unable to produce an adequate word.

"Horrible? An affront to man and the gods? Bad enough to chase starving rats from a granary?"

"Forgive me, Meri-Ma'at, but yes."

Dani turned to that inner presence again. ~My Lady? She's right that I should know this, but she's also right that my singing will be a problem. The songs are important to the ceremonies, and I just don't have that talent.~

There was amusement wound around the thought that responded. ~So what would you have me do? I could make you quite the singer, if you wish.~

Dani paused for a long time as she considered the offer. ~Ma'at, before I can answer that I need to know something. Are you ever going to let me go home again?~

There was the sensation of a warm embrace as the voice replied. ~Yes, daughter; you know, now, how much you were needed here. You will be needed just as much in your own time and place. For now, I thought you'd want to stay here for a little while and learn what you can.~

~I could stay here for a lifetime and study, you surely know that. If I'm to return to my home time, I suspect my singing will help prove my identity.~ The avatar made a wry face at the thought, which provoked a questioning look from the priestess.

~I will at least help with what's needed for the ceremonies. Nebka is right, it would be inappropriate for my avatar to be unprepared, or not participate.~

For a moment, Dani felt a strange twisting in her mind.

"I think I'm ready to try again, Nebka."

The remainder of the practice session went flawlessly, and there was a sense of intense relief on the part of both women as the last notes of Dani's part faded.

~Just don't expect the same outcome with Willie Nelson, Dani. Even miracles have limits.~

The unexpected comment started Dani giggling.

Nebka looked on for a moment before asking what the giggles were about. Shortly after getting her answer, Dani's giggles had turned to full-throated laughter from both women.

*****

The afternoon was far less exciting. Dani quickly committed each ceremony to memory, and by mid-afternoon she was wandering the temple, examining the engravings on the walls and studying the activities of the residents. There were no surprises, but when she got to the kitchen area, she stopped and just watched for a bit. The cooks were using the available tools, only some of which were even metal, and taking little care to keep the tools, or even the food, free of dirt.

~How many people are sick because of the germs they don't even know about? Or even the dirt they don't care about? My Lady....~

The young woman could feel the nod of the goddess. ~You should speak to the High Priestess first, but you may share your thought. In fact, you may also share it with the palace as well.~

The scampering form of the avatar drew the wondering gaze of the temple attendants. She careened around a corner and skidded to a stop outside the High Priestess' quarters. A chuckle from inside revealed the lack of stealth in her approach.

"Come in, Meri-Ma'at."

Dani walked in, mildly glaring at the priestess as the business in progress was completed. She kept her silence until the room was vacated. "You didn't have to laugh! And how did you know it was me?"

"If you insist on being so undignified, you must expect laughter, and you're the only person in the temple who would be carrying on that way. Now, what brought you here in such a hurry?" The older looking woman's eyes danced with a mirth that was barely contained.

Dani quickly sketched out what she'd seen in the kitchen. At that point, she paused; the people of this time and place had no way to understand bacteria. There was a long silence, unbroken by the priestess, as the scholar tried to bridge five thousand years of medical knowledge. "I can't tell all I know, but if your kitchen staff will listen to me, and change how they do their work just a little, you won't lose quite so many people to sickness."

She proceeded to outline the addition of a formal cleansing, using soap for the cooks, and boiled water to clean the dishes and utensils, to the existing preparations and blessings when the cooks were preparing a meal.

"How will that help?" came the expected question. "What difference could using boiled water make, or washing your hands?"

"I'm sorry, Nebka, the best I can do to explain is that there are ... demons, fester demons in the dirt on your hands and in your clothing, even if they seem clean. Soap can clean them off your hands, but water needs to be boiled to get the demons out."

Dani chewed on her lower lip for a moment as she racked her memory for a suitable illustration. "Nebka, demons are invisible, right?"

"Most of them are, yes."

"And the demons that cause illness work mostly at night, correct? They are demons of the dark."

Nebka's eyes held the first glimmerings of understanding. "And the dirt makes shadows for the demons to use?"

The scholar smiled and nodded. "Exactly! And when the dirt gets into the food, the demons can spread their poisons and make people sick. They can even hide in the little bits of dirt in water; boiling the water puts the warmth of the sun -- the power of Ra -- into the water to chase the demons out. If you use some bay leaves in the water as it is boiled, the water will have a special odor that tells you it's been properly treated and blessed.

"Even when we bathe ourselves, it washes away the dirt and shadow and makes us acceptable in the sight of Ra and Ma'at.”

"The demons also, sometimes, cause wounds to fester the same way they get into the food and make it spoil. Wounds should also be cleaned with water that has been boiled. My idea won't solve all the problems, but it will help. Is there anyone else who seems to have problems at times with sickness?"

The silence stretched out before the priestess spoke again. "The midwives sometimes have a new mother sicken after birth, and sometimes the children take ill and die, too."

The scholar nodded. "If they make some of the same kind of changes, I think we can also help them. The midwives will need to use the boiled water for cleaning themselves, the mothers, and the newborns. They should also boil the cloths they use to get the fester demons out."

"If the Goddess has allowed you tell us of this, I will make sure we begin to tell everyone in the city. I'll speak to the cooks in the temple, and the midwives." Nebka shook her head. "I still don't fully understand though."

The tall woman sighed in frustration. There was so much she could do, and so many lives that could be saved. ~I can't. Saying the wrong thing could screw up five millennia of history.~

She sat heavily on a stool, burdened by the weight of the silence she had to keep.

*****

Dani's morning had gone smoothly, despite being called on to participate in the morning's ceremonies in the temple. It was rather like being in a play, or a musical; she was grateful that she'd been enabled to perform her part in the rituals. She and some of her researchers had often wondered how the ancient Egyptians had lived out their religious lives; now she had had the chance to even be a part of it all! She was almost beside herself with excitement ~Some of what we thought was close; most of it wasn't very near the mark, though.~

The remainder of the day was hers, at least until the sunset ceremony, and she took advantage of the time to return to the palace. The morning audience time was just about over, and she should have a chance to talk with Iti and her advisers without too long a wait.

She finally arrived at the gate where Semerkhet, the guard captain who'd warned of the attack, was again stationed. He bowed low as Dani approached.

"Welcome, Lady."

Dani returned the bow, though not as deeply. "Thank you, Captain. Are their majesties receiving visitors this morning?"

"Our orders, Lady, are to welcome you whenever you arrive. Whoever is the guard captain is to accompany you to their majesties, if that is your wish."

With a nod from the avatar, the two walked up the ramp and into the palace. They walked in silence, Semerkhet just to her right, until they reached the throne room. He bowed again, and left to return to his post. Iri was in the room, attending to Iti and her son this morning.

As he retreated, Dani noticed Iri's wistful focus on the young man. The scholar grinned as her friend suddenly felt Dani's gaze and blushed. Iti noticed the grin, followed the looks from each woman, and nodded to herself as she discerned the root cause of the reaction. Refocusing on the new arrival, the Regent extended her welcome.

"Good morning, Lady Dani. What brings you here this morning?"

"Good morning, your majesties." Dani bowed respectfully to the Pharaoh and his mother. The child grinned and wriggled as he suppressed the urge to smother the new arrival in a hug. "I have," she glanced quickly at Iri, "a couple of items I would like to talk about. One will involve your cooks and midwives; if you could have the proper people contacted, I'd be grateful."

"And the other item?"

"The other matter is a bit more personal. If you'd be willing to deal with it in private, I'd be grateful for that as well."

"We were just finished with the morning's meetings; if it is convenient, why not join us for our noon refreshments in our quarters. The chief cook and the senior midwife can join us there."

"What is convenient for you will be fine with me, Majesty."

The Regent turned to Iri. "Iri, please find the chief cook and the senior midwife, and bring them to our quarters."

The young woman shot a suspicious look at her friend as she departed.

*****

The mother, son, and their guest retired to the royal quarters for privacy after Iri's departure. Once within the privacy of their rooms, the king's demeanor changed from dignified king to delighted child. There was a brief hug exchanged between Dani and the boy.

"Are you here to tell more stories?" he asked hopefully.

"We'll see; I have important business first." She grinned at his pout.

"What have you in mind for my servant and guard captain?" Iti asked as she doffed her headgear. "I've seen that calculating look often enough to recognize it."

"Your majesty is insightful, as always. I consider Iri a dear friend, and she seems quite taken with your young captain. He seems to be very intent on his job, though."

Taking her seat, and waving her guest to another, the queen nodded. "She has had an eye on him for a while, and until he was promoted, it seemed he returned her interest. Of late, he's taken his new position so seriously that he's been neglectful of that relationship."

"Would you object to interceding a little?"

The two co-conspirators began their planning while they waited for the return of their messenger and target of interest.

*****

"I don't understand," the old cook complained, "why should I boil the water, then put the laurel leaves in?"

"And why would anyone want to boil cloth?" the midwife chimed in.

Iri had returned with the cook, the senior palace midwife, and their most experienced aides, shortly after Dani had briefed Iti on what she intended to cover with the new arrivals and their initial matchmaking discussions were complete.

"The leaves have a soothing odor. If you have that smell from the water, you'll know the proper ritual has been followed and the water carries Ma'at's blessing." Dani desperately struggled to give the old woman -- though she was probably forty years younger than the time-traveler's real age -- something more than just 'Because I said so' to hold on to.

She turned to the midwives. "The leaves also will ease a little of the pain the mothers have, so I think that will be appreciated. The only way to properly gain Ma'at's blessing for the cloth is to boil it."

The faces of the women were thoughtful, as they considered the new ritual. They spoke quietly among themselves for a time, finally deciding that the strange, new ritual should do no harm -- though not without some muttering about new-fangled ideas. The idea of refusing guidance from the gods was unthinkable in the end. They left promising to begin instruction immediately, though there was a grudging look still on the eldest woman's face as they departed.

Dani relaxed as they left the room. "I was beginning to wonder if they'd ever say yes."

"They take their responsibility seriously; two lives are in the midwives’ hands every time they are called. I can understand their caution." The queen looked as grave as the midwives.

"I have one other item that I'd appreciate your help on, if you're willing." Dani shook off the somber mood of the room, realizing that the topic she was raising would dim the mood again.

Iti smiled in her direction. "You know that whatever we can do is yours for the asking. What do you need?"

"The goddess has said that I will eventually be returning to my homeland. If you have a stone carver available, I have a task that I'd like done."

"What sort of carving do you have in mind?"

Dani looked around the room, and pointed to an intricately carved panel of glyphs. "Something like that panel, though the carvings will be different from anything done before."

Iti looked at the panel and nodded. "I think I understand what you want, but you'll need an engraver, not just a stone carver." She thought quietly for a moment. "If you need something that special, I'll have to call the guild master."

The thoughts of just what she had in mind left a feral grin on Dani's face.

"Why do I have a feeling that what you have in mind bodes ill for the recipient?" Iti was intrigued by the look on her friend's face.

Dani's grin didn't waver. "What I have in mind isn't going to hurt anyone. It's more a way to prove I have been here, and to play a joke on some people I know. I'll need your help putting it in a safe place once it's done, though."

The regent's face hinted at her bewilderment as she agreed to help however she could.

*****

The avatar was feeling smug as she walked back to the temple. The meetings had gone better than she'd expected, though it was almost certain that there would be resistance from some of the more traditional women. She and the regent were also deep into planning how to shake Semerkhet out of his absurd focus on his job; if all worked out as planned, they'd remind him that there were other parts of life that were equally important.

She was startled by the mildly admonishing tone in Ma'at's thought. ~Don't you feel at least a little hypocritical?~

The archaeologist stopped dead, and her reply was eloquent. ~Huh?~

~You're criticizing Semerkhet. I find that hypocritical under the circumstances. How many children do you have?~

Dani's temper flared. ~You know perfectly well that I don't have any children! I never got married.~

The inner voice changed from admonishing to stern. ~I am the Goddess of Truth, child, and the first step is being truthful with yourself. Remember Agnes?~

The memories of Daniel's time as a doctoral candidate surged to the fore, as Dani recalled a young woman who, looking back, had done everything possible to encourage the young man to become more than a casual friend. He'd missed, or ignored, those hints as he focused on his studies. She'd finally drifted off, and he'd never even noticed.

She found herself wiping tears away as she resumed her walk toward the temple. ~Oh Goddess; I did the same thing. My students were my substitute children, but ... I see what you mean. Forgive me?~

The goddess' voice resumed its warm encouragement. ~Of course, daughter. You just needed a reminder that there's more to life than your work. That includes your status as my avatar, too, by the way. You have a second chance, child; don't deprive yourself again.~

Dani nodded absently. She stopped suddenly as the implications of that statement hit home. ~You mean ....~

~ALL of it, dear.~

~Eeep!~ As Dan, an intimate relationship and taking time to have a family had one meaning. She ran a hand over her stomach. Now, though, it would mean potentially having a child herself. ~I don't quite know how I feel about that. For once my years as a man are at war with my comfort level as a woman.~

*****

Time flowed by like the river below the city as Dani settled into the routines of the temple, and pursued her own projects. She continued to study the carvings inside the temple, and could be found in quiet corners silently watching the daily life of the inhabitants. The priests and priestesses had settled into a slightly less formal relationship with the Goddess' chosen avatar, but only the High Priestess came close to being the friend that she craved.

Only at the palace could she find anyone who would treat her as just a person; the royal family continued to make time for her, and Dani made a point to spin tales of a magical land where people flew on the magic mats with the wings of huge, silver birds, far away across mountains and deserts.

The engravers were less enthused by her visits; they had received careful sketches of exactly what Dani wanted engraved, and the utter nonsense had caused them to appeal to the Pharaoh. Dani watched with an amused look.

"Pharaoh, these names and words are meaningless! Who ever heard of anyone with such a strange name as Ozymandias? And then there are the other designs that no-one but she understands."

The young man on the throne nodded somberly. "At times the avatar's actions are hard to understand, but she saved our mother, and is Ma'at's chosen. She asked for this as a favor. We owe our kingdom to her, and if she wants stone tablets carved with nonsense, then we will give her what she asks and more." The youngster smiled at the guild master as the older man shook his head in despair. "Take heart, somehow I think someone will be gifted with a very unique story because of your work."

Dani spoke up as Djer finished. "I appreciate the difficulty you face, guild master. Please understand that the symbols and inscriptions I've drawn are trying to put my homeland's tongue into Egyptian glyphs. Our ways of writing are so different that putting my language in your glyphs makes it look like nonsense. The people for whom the tablets are being made will understand the message they bear."

Another moon waxed and waned before the tablets were complete; Djer and Iti sent word to their friend that a formal presentation had been scheduled for the next day. There was quite the crowd as the results of the work were presented to Dani, and the scholar was careful to maintain an air of formality as she accepted the gift from the still bewildered workmen.

After the presentation had been completed, and the room was cleared, Dani stood in the throne room and looked carefully around. Her actions, peculiar even for her, finally broke the patience of the Pharaoh.

"Dani? What are you looking for?"

She broke off her survey and turned her attention to the boy. She was smiling, but there was a sorrow in her eyes that was plain.

"Now that I have the tablets," she explained, "I need to put them where only the proper people will find them at the proper time. I was looking around to make sure I knew where that should be."

"Why does it make you so sad?"

"I'm just thinking, Pharaoh, of when I return to my homeland. I'll miss you, and all my friends here." ~And you'll all be dust and legend. Pictures on the wall, or names in a list.~ She took one last look around the room. ~There. I know we found that corner on Dominic's last dig; now if I can get Iti's permission to bury the tablets at that location, I'll know where to look.~

She joined Djer as they made their way to the royal quarters; there were a couple of backup locations she could use, but the sooner the work started, the sooner she could move on to 'Operation Yente'. Dani giggled as she recalled Iti's reaction to that latest example of peculiar behavior.

"I'm not sure which worries me more: not understanding you at all, at times, or the idea of actually knowing what you're talking about."

*****

"Alright, Dani; what are you up to?" Iri put her whole body into the most intimidating glare she could manage.

"What do you mean? What makes you think I'm up to anything?" ~Please forgive the shading of the truth, My Lady.~

~Just don't make a habit of it, Dani. Even white lies can be a problem. I'd prefer it if you just refuse to answer.~

"You know perfectly well what I'm talking about!"

Dani smiled and took her irate friend into a warm hug. The smaller woman stiffened, then relaxed as she returned the embrace.

"I'm sorry, Iri. You're as dear as a sister to me, but I can't say anything. You'll just have to wait. I know you're in love with your young captain, and that he's so fixed on his new position that he's ignoring you."

"It's only gotten worse since Snefru led his mutiny. He feels as if he failed."

"I'm not surprised. He needs to realize that there is more to really living than just his job. I'm working with Her Majesty, and Ma'at has added her blessing to my idea." Dani winced. "The Goddess reminded me that I had made the same error as Semerkhet; I feel even more obligated to do something, now."

"You can't tell me anything?"

"I want you to be able to truthfully say you had nothing to do with it. I don't know if it will work, but we want to try." Dani's serious expression cracked as a nearly irresistible pout appeared. "And pouting won't help either."

*****

"Meri-Ma'at? The palace sent a messenger to ask for you to come right away." Huni, one of the newest temple attendants, stood nervously at the door to Dani's quarters, where the scholar sat at the desk examining a small statue.

"Huni, right?" The young woman nodded, as Dani placed the item back on the desk. "Let's go. The palace wouldn't have sent a runner if it weren't important."

A short time later she found herself in the middle of a near-screaming match between several of the cooks.

"It's a total waste of time! It does nothing but enrich the pockets of the herb sellers and the woodcutters." Dani walked into view of the antagonists. "And there she is! Have you come to get your share of the profits?"

The leader of the vocal opposition, Inyotef, was a somewhat shorter woman than the avatar, but heavy-set and muscular. She spun around and stalked in the direction of the newcomer. "I'll teach you to interfere in my kitchen!"

~Put out your hand, child, and feel yourself holding her back.~ The calm voice guided the heavily outnumbered scholar. She did as she was instructed, and felt a gentle surge flow through her arm as the voice continued. ~Now guide the power around her like the fingers of your hand. Just focus on control; I'll give you the strength you need.~

Inyotef's expression changed almost instantly from rage to fear. The tales of the avatar had circulated, but too often tales had proven to be lies. As she felt the soft restraint of the goddess' power, Inyotef felt her heart quail as she realized the truth of the stories she'd heard.

Dani, her face placid, walked toward the now-panicking woman. Everyone else in the kitchen fell back. "I heard you almost as soon as I walked into the palace. I understand that you don't like the changes I've suggested." She paused. "Do you have a son or daughter?"

Inyotef nodded carefully, still aware of the gossamer threads of power woven around her. "A ... a son, Lady."

"And what would you do to keep him healthy and strong? Would you boil some water if it meant he wouldn't get sick and die? I would; some of the people in this palace are as dear to me as family. If the Goddess permitted, I'd do more to keep them safe and well; this is the least I can do, and," she pulled the threads more tightly around her prisoner, "I won't let anyone put them back in danger." She abruptly released her captive.

Inyotef's eyes were wide with terror as the bindings, unyielding as stone, tightened. Suddenly, like the snuffing of a candle, the bindings holding her were gone. She fell to her knees and, sobbing, she begged for forgiveness from the avatar and her goddess.

Dani reached down and took the hands of the kneeling, sobbing woman, pulling her to her feet. She noted the rest of the staff, while not kneeling, were in a submissive pose; their hands were clasped before them and their heads were bowed.

"Listen to me, all of you." The heads of each person in the room came up. "I'm not really surprised that some of you are upset, but so long as I'm in the city you may come to me. I will listen, though I may not change my mind As far as the new cleansing rituals, I will listen to ideas for a better way; the cleansing must be done though. Now then, since you've decided to cause disorder within the palace, I must pronounce judgment."

Several faces went pale immediately, and their fear only increased as an evil-looking smile came to the tall woman's face. Dani felt a quiet giggle from the voice in her mind. Looking around to make sure Iri was not present, she held her finger to her lips. The staff's fear turned to shock at her next statement.

"Your penalty is to help me get Iri and Semerkhet back together. I have an idea about how, and you're ALL going to help."

Nervous titters came from the women as they swore themselves to secrecy.

That evening, as Dani lay in her quarters, Ma'at spoke up. ~Dani, you need training in how to properly use your new abilities. It will soon be time, I think, for you to begin your return to your own time and place. There is a school for mutants, called Whateley Academy, which has the facilities and teachers you'll need.~

~I'm a mutant?~

~No, but they're the only organization that can be trusted with your training at the moment. I could teach you, but the governments in your time will be less likely to interfere in our affairs if you have trained at a recognized school once you're back in your own time. Whateley could use an expert in historical mythology, too, with their collection of students.~

~Seventy-five years in college and you want me to teach TEENAGERS?~

~Among other things you will do in the future. I have work for you when you get home.~

*****

The tablets had been buried in the location that was Dani's first choice; the stone masons managed to remove several floor pavers and make a sufficiently large space under a non-load-bearing wall to slide the carvings into place. As the last stone was secured into place, sealing the messages to the future into their resting place, Dani sent a silent plea to Ma'at to put her blessing on the project, and protect them till the proper time.

She stood, and looked at Iti. "I think it's almost time for me to leave. You said you wanted me to have a banquet with you, the Pharaoh, and a few others?"

"I think three days from today will work best for our preparations, if that is suitable."

"As it pleases your majesties."

After Dani's departure, Iti called Iri into the throne room. "Iri, I want to have a last meal with Dani as the guest of honor. Does she have a favorite food?"

"Yes, Majesty. She said my stew was her favorite."

"Very good; make preparations for three days from now. You are her friend, and you will join us at the table as well. And remember, child, we have a surprise planned. Trust us."

*****

The kitchen staff poured their talents into the preparations, selecting the very best of the available ingredients for each dish. Iri found herself a central figure as she was handed only the best of those select goods for her stew. Inyotef, with the memory of Dani's power and mercy still fresh in her mind, was given the key role on the day of the banquet; she had a fresh bay leaf set aside and would be the one to serve the young guard captain.

*****

The hall was filled with laughter, as the royal wine cellars supplied copious quantities of their contents for the revelers. The various dishes were loudly praised, and Iri's stew had held its place of honor. Semerkhet had found the bay leaf in his stew and set it aside, noting he was the only one nearby that had one.

At the end of the main meal, Dani stood to begin the time for storytelling as the wine cups were topped off. "First, I want to give my thanks to Iri. Her stew has always been one of my favorite dishes, and she has done a magnificent job this evening. You have truly outdone yourself. Now, who was the lucky man who found the bay leaf in his portion of the stew? I may tell you that in other lands the bay leaf, also known as laurel, is used as a symbol of honor for heroes and champions. In my land, there is a very old and honored tradition that he who gets the bay leaf in his stew wins the privilege of kissing the cook."

Iri paled at the words, and gave a fearful look around the table.

Semerkhet stood silently, cocked an eyebrow at the slight smirk on the avatar's face, which was mirrored on the Queen Regent, and walked to Iri's place. The young woman trembled as she stood, but accepted the kiss without audible protest. He said a few quiet words in her ear as they parted. The two resumed their places, joined in a glare at the matchmakers at the head table.

Dani accepted the glare without visible reaction as she continued. "I have a story I'd like to share this evening; it is short, and a bit sad, but appropriate.

"A wise man had spent years with a group of his followers, living with them and teaching them each day. The time finally came for him to leave, and he sat down with them all in a final meal. As they ended their time together, he asked them, whenever they had that meal, to let it be a reminder of the years they'd spent together and the lessons he'd taught."

"I would ask that, when you have some of this stew, you'd remember me. Wherever the Goddess leads me from here, whenever I share this stew with new friends, I will share the stories of my friends here."

She nodded to Iti. "I'll tell the story about the Queen Regent who had the courage to stand proud against rebels." She turned to Djer. "I'll also tell a story about a young Pharaoh, who thirsted for knowledge and had the heart to try to protect his mother."

She looked further down the tables at Nebka. "I have a story about a Priestess and teacher, who was gracious enough to bear teaching someone who just could *not* sing." The High Priestess smiled and raised her cup.

"And last, but not least in my heart, a special story about a guide who became as dear as a sister to me." She nodded to Iri.

The remainder of the meal was slightly more subdued, though the stories continued from various people, some related to Dani and her antics. The evening wore on, and the guests left in small waves, until only Dani's closest friends, Iti, Djer, Nebka, Iri, and Semerkhet, were left.

As they made their way to the royal quarters, Dani took the captain aside. "Semerkhet, I know you're a little upset with what we did at the banquet. I have a special story that you need to hear, though. In my homeland, there was a man who was a scholar. He loved his studies so much that he ignored a young woman who did all she could to show her love for him. She finally gave up, and left. He lived for almost one hundred years, and was renowned for his work, but he never had a wife, a family, or children. He died alone, and there was no one to carry on with his family name." She paused for emphasis. "There is more to life than your work, young man. Your duty as a man is to more than just the Pharaoh and Queen Iti. Don't make the same mistake as that scholar."

*****

~It is time for you to say goodbye, child. Your journey needs to continue; you have other stops to make on your road home.~

Dani opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by Nebka. "It's time for you to leave us?" At the avatar's bewildered look, she continued. "I saw your face. You became still as the Goddess spoke to you, then sad."

"I'm afraid so. I don't know where the next step will take me, but it's time to take it."

There were hugs, and tears, as Dani said her goodbyes. She noticed with some pleasure that Semerkhet was standing with an arm around Iri's waist. At her questioning look, he blushed and nodded. She whispered as she said her farewell to him, "Take good care of my sister, and enjoy all the blessings that love will bring."

Iti drew a small cloth from a corner and unfolded it as Dani approached. "I had a dream, some time ago, that I needed to have a special gift made for you." She held out a lightweight, gold chain that bore a pendant in the shape of a single ostrich feather.

~Lady? May I accept this and take it with me?~ Dani's mind called out as her hand reached for the glittering necklace.

~It was made for you as a remembrance. Wherever you go, you may take it with you.~

Dani's fingers fumbled a little as she straightened the chain and slipped it over her head. It took her another moment to gather her hair and get it out of the way, so the jewelry rested properly around her neck.

She looked down for a moment at the pendant, which was so finely made that it could have been plucked from a tiny, golden ostrich.

"I ... I'm overwhelmed," she stammered. "Thank you, Your Majesties, for such a wonderful gift. Ma'at says I may take it with me, and I'll keep it as a most precious treasure."

She stepped back from the royal pair, and fought to keep her tears at bay. "I guess this is it, then. I'll always love and remember you all, and I pray the Goddess will bless you as richly as you've blessed me."

There was a bright flash, and she was gone.

*****

The candle-lit room vanished, and Dani felt an instant of disorientation. Suddenly, she was outdoors again, with the warm sun on her back. She was on a ridge, facing down a long slope that ended in what appeared to be a large bay, flanked on her left by mountains; much closer to her, perhaps half a mile away down the slope, was a small city.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
144 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

this is not the first time

this is not the first time Ihaveread this.
But once again,I am drawn into its i tticate web.
Thank you for the beautiful story.

Still a joy

As I read this yet another time, I still find joy in this well-crafted story. In fact, the only fault I can find with it is the intrusion of the Whateley universe. That simple fact may cause potential readers to pass this over, and that would be a shame.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

This is a most intriguing

This is a most intriguing historical fiction story. As a student of history and all that it brings us if we would only study it with an open mind, we just might find that we don't always have to try and re-invent the wheel as we so often seem to do. The answers are there staring us in the face, all we have to do is look, listen and learn.

Gods and goddesses

kristina l s's picture

You do have a thing for them don't you?
Attention to character and historical detail. In a nice story to boot. What's not to like. But let's not get distracted. Don't want Nicole getting peeved do we Oh stenographer? I might even have to look at Whateley some time.
Oh and put in a good word for me upstairs next time you're chatting Huh
Kristina

Itinerant and Higher Powers

Nicole and Dani do have pretty high level connections, don't they.

They both learned the cardinal lession of college, networking. With my luck, I'd have ended up apprenticed to a sorcerer.

That's a joke Son, sorcerer's apprentice. I don't get no respect.

Editing does this to me, first I'm channeling Foghorn Leghorn(C) next Rodney Dangerfield.I need more ketchup in my diet. Arrrg! Now it's PHC.

Itinerant once said there is a third story that's sitting on the backburner so things could be worse, Then there are those who suck up his free time by sending him stuff to edit. -- whistles nonchalantly --

Good luck with the writing, Kristina LS, Itinerant.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Looks like a good read!

Just read 1 & 2, and they were much too short! I'm looking forward to further chapters of this story, they should be very entertaining!

Love & hugs,
Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Wondering about Dani's future

I saved this story for a Sunday afternoon. Finished it a couple hours ago and have been bathing in its glow ever since. I've analyzed Ma'at's 42 principles a bit, and I must say that I thought of the ten commandments just as Itinerant got around to mentioning them.

I'm busy wondering what comes next. We've touched nicely upon and have experienced a rather comfortable, appealing depiction of what it can mean to be a woman. Are we leaving Egypt now? Does Ma'at become some other divine female figure? (A pantheon of them, you say?)

re: Wondering

Leah,

Dani's journey has just begun. She's headed for Whateley Academy, but as the Avatar of Ma'at, there is some business to attend to before she gets there.

As to what happened at the end of chapter 2 -- you'll find out in chapter 3.

*evil grin*

I'm also trying to keep my 'Amazon' story going, so Dani and Nicole are having to time share ...

;-)

Itinerant

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Waiting for more

The attention to detail was nicely done! Enough to make a good story colorful but not over done and dry. Dani's comfort as a woman was done by her actions in the story and not overly drawn out as in other stories. The paraphasing of American "myths" into acceptable stories was genius! Can't wait for more!

re: waiting for more

Grover,

Thank you for the kind comment.

The next part is in work, but the research part was more challenging than I'd really anticipated.

That, plus the nastiness of real-life has slowed work a bit. I'm making progress, but can't promise a delivery date.

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Take the Time You Need to Get It Right

We are in no hurry, Okay, I am, but I'll try to be patient.

Are you done yet?

Don't worry, aside from RL being a pain, the Pest to the West is taking his time right now working through some tricky bits and writing more on paper to stockpile. You should get a brief respite from that, use it well. -- cackles fiendishly in suburbs of Milwaukee --.

Word of warning to aspiring writers, don't try to collaberate, even slightly with Itinerant as your stories will expand out of all proportion to your original intent.

One of these days I'll clean up my earlier stuff and post my Whateley Fan Fic here, just to make Itinerant look better. Best wishes, looking forward to Dani's eventual arrival at Whateley.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Not meaning to rush

It was meant as encouragement not as a command to be obeyed! Plus, I'm trying to write as well and well know how the research can take over the writing. I haven't quite found that point well alright this is enough and the rest will have to be "fudged". I don't that, because I am somewhat of a get it right type. As for the nastiness of life, weelll!, Been there did that, didn't like it, and am still doing it and still don't like it.

Not rushing

Not a problem. I'm grateful for the signs of interest. I'd considered a blog entry to let folks know I'm still working at both stories, but you gave me an excuse to do it as a reply.

The research, even if all of it isn't used, can help a lot to set the mental tone as I write. I tend to be a little paranoid about that. (Ask the Wauwatosan pest about Amazon and snowstorms)

And life is; currently we're preparing for a family visit, so the limited time is even more so.

It'll get better, or I'll adjust.

Either way, the story will continue.

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Snow, We Don't Need No Stinkn' Snow!

From the Pest in the West to the 'I' Guy,

was the 'snowstorms' reference in reguards to an early, possibly my first, comment on Amazon? About how you must have lived in Waukesha, Wisconsin as you described a spectacularly snowy December with remarkable detail?

Have a fun family visit, you'll be glad to know with two employees moved out of state (Arizona and Maryland) and the loss of two others to an internship and a firing, we are swamped at the bank so I've agreed to delay some vaction days. This should provide you additional breathing space. Maybe the visit will inspire more fun with the Tanner clan. Will Nicole ever tell Kate's parents who she was --ie Tom --, or is that too dangerous for them?

Ma'at looks to be great fun, wrapped round a gentle history lession. I've sent Itinerant a few things to mull over as my Joanie and crew are eagar to have fun with the rejuvenated professor. He does create the most marvelous sandboxes to play in. I still have most of my Tonka Toys stored above the cross-ties of our garage.

If you like Ma'at, read Amazon and try some of the Whateley Academy stuff, Erin has some. The rest is over at Sapphire and at The Crystal Hall, there are links on Erin's site.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa