Zapped! -7- Quiet Time

Printer-friendly version
Zapped!

Chapter 7 “Quiet Time”

If anyone discovers a typo or other error, please let me know. Send an email to: [email protected]. Please tell me where you saw the story and what the error was. I'll attempt to get it corrected. Thanks Rebekkah deMere for her expert nit-picking that helps me keep the story on track.

This is a work of fiction, with a few real life experiences added in. All of the characters in this story are fictional, and any resemblance to anyone else living or dead is probably a coincidence. Please notify me if you are archiving this and the other chapters of the story on a web site. Permission specifically granted to Sapphire’s Place, Crystal’s Story Site and Petra's web site to archive this. If you intend to publish this story in magazine or book (paper or electronic) format, please contact me for arrangements. Additional information on this story may be found at: http://www.ralabs.com/zapped/ .

Zapped — Chapter 7 — Quiet Time
by Bob Arnold - Copyright 2001 - All Rights Reserved

A chime sounded on the console. The air above the pad shimmered as an image of a woman formed then became solid after several seconds. She shook herself as the light above her dimmed. "I’ll never get used to being ripped apart then put back together again." She walked over to the man at the console. "What have you got?"

"Well, ma'am, she found the energy signature. Right now she's still sitting there crying." He nodded toward the holographic display showing a picture of a young woman setting in a chair surrounded by a room full of radio equipment. She held her head in her hands crying. The display under the image read:

Jennifer Stevens — Date: 2001
STATUS: CRITICAL
ACTION REQUIRED: INTERVENTION.

The last two lines were flashing in red.

The man looked at the woman next to him. "What do we do now?"

"We can't control her. She'll just have to work things out on her own. We can help her feel a bit better about her circumstances though. When she goes to sleep, send the command again. CANDI will take care of it."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely." She walked back to the pad and entered a code on the controls then stepped up onto the pad. She said "Computer, activate." just before she vanished.

The man looked back at the holographic display. Another hour passed before the woman went to bed. He waited another hour beyond that to be sure she was sleeping then he tapped a button on the console. A few seconds later the display showed a pale glow surrounding the sleeping woman in the darkness of the bedroom. It lasted only a few seconds then was gone.

The man nodded in satisfaction then went back to reading his ebook.

>>>>>**********<<<<<

Dear Diary,

Monday

The alarm clock on the nightstand jarred me awake. I contemplated smashing the thing into a thousand tiny little bits until I remembered that I was the one that set it to go off at five AM. Since I anticipated going back to work next week, I reasoned that I had better get back on the schedule I used to keep before all of this happened. I had gone to bed around eleven PM and got up around six AM each weekday. I thought the extra hour would be enough now that I had a body that required a bit more preparation each day.

I turned off the alarm and stayed in bed for a few minutes remembering how I cried myself to sleep last night after finding out that my body now generated some type of mysterious radio signal. As far as I knew, I was the only one to detect it. I wondered what was causing it and how long I could keep it a secret. At least the signal wasn’t detectable beyond about three inches from my body. I found out that the ring I wore reduced the signal from my entire body somewhat and concentrated it in the ring itself. I reasoned that maybe that’s what gave me the abilities I discovered so far. Someone wanted me to have the ring and arranged for it to appear where I could get it. Just who would be able to do something like that was still unknown to me. I also realized that I might never know the true answers to my questions. Whoever was doing this had enough power behind them to stay out of sight if they wanted to. Sometime during the night, I decided that staying upset at what I have become, whatever that is, serves no useful purpose. I have a new life to live and I intend to make the most of every day of it.

I got up, yawning as I stretched, then headed for the bathroom and put up my hair to take a quick shower. Getting it wet would take another 20 minutes or more to get it dry and I just washed it yesterday. The shower felt great. I came fully awake as the pulsing jets of warm water hit my more sensitive spots. That was one of the more pleasurable aspects of being in this body now. I wish that I had more time to follow up on what I was feeling and that Adam was here to help but the time was flying by rapidly. If I was ever going to stick to some type of schedule in the morning I had to work it out now. I finished showering then used a big fluffy towel to dry off.

After cleaning up the bathroom, I headed back to the bedroom to select my clothes for the day. I planned on making a stop at work to say hello to everyone then going to lunch and the theater to work on the sound system. I decided that I would start out in a jacket, skirt and blouse and take a change of clothes with me for the theater. I selected a nice white cotton blouse and a dark blue skirt from the hangers in the closet. I found a jacket that matched the dark blue skirt. I wanted to make sure the people I met today at work were absolutely certain that I had changed. I could think of no better way than to show it. I selected white panties and a white bra. I put on the underwear then the blouse and skirt. The skirt ended several inches above my knees while the blouse hugged my curves like I hoped it would. Looking at myself in the mirror, I realized that if I’m going to dress like the young professional woman I was I needed to wear panty hose and heels. I took a pair of smoke color hose out of the drawer and worked them up over my legs and under the skirt. A pair of 3 inch black heels completed the look.

I sat down at the makeup table to add just the basic touches I had learned then grabbed the comb and brush to take care of my hair. I put it up in my preferred ponytail style using the small gold band I bought to secure it. I shook my head and watched my hair cascade down my back in the mirror.

If anyone told me a little more than a month ago what I would look like now I would have thought that they were crazy. In fact, I would have called the folks with the padded rooms and coats that buckle in the back to come and pick them up. Today I was accepting what I have become and making the most of it.
The face that looked back at me in the mirror looked very appealing while the outfit I wore enhanced my appearance greatly. I sighed then reached over to get the bottle of lilac scent on the table. I applied some in a few strategic spots then added the matching smaller bottle to my purse to replace the rose scent from yesterday. I also took a few moments to check my supply of makeup and tissues in the purse and replace what I was short on. At least this morning I would need to look my best for the visit to work. Later the makeup could come off as I got down to the business of repairing the sound system at the theater.

I went back to the closet to load a small bag with the extra change of clothes I would need to work at the theater today. A good heavy shirt, a pair of blue jeans, some socks and my tennis shoes would do nicely. I retrieved my purse then headed toward the kitchen for breakfast. I stopped on the front porch on the way to get the morning paper and the Sunday paper I hadn’t brought in from yesterday.

I left the extra bag just inside the front door and picked up the papers and my purse to get breakfast. I remembered that the coffee from yesterday tasted pretty good, then I realized that if I made a full pot this morning most of it would go to waste. Instead I settled for a large glass of orange juice. I had some bagels in the fridge along with cheese and some ham slices. I sliced a bagel in half then popped both halves in the oversized toaster and put the rest of the stuff on the counter. In a few minutes, I had a ham and cheese sandwich on a nice toasted bagel to go with the orange juice.

Everything wound up on the kitchen table. With the remote in hand I turned on the television setting the volume to a comfortable level. While I was reading the paper I heard my name come up on the news. I turned up the volume just as the report started.

“In case you missed it on last night’s newscast we have some incredible video of the escape of Jennifer Stevens and Adam Tilton just moments before a tornado was ready to engulf them sending them surely to their deaths. A pair of free-lance photographers are responsible for taking these startling pictures.” The two news hounds from Saturday were shown in an interview with Dorene. She turned to the camera as the interview finished.

“The video we are about to show is a bit disturbing. Please take this into account if you have young children around.” The picture changed to the video shot at the transmitter site. It showed Adam and I running for the manhole at the center of the crumpled antenna array. Then you could see our frustration at the fact that the hatch wouldn’t open and us pulling at it. It finally sprung open and Adam and I dove in moments before the tornado roared over us. It ended with both Adam and I climbing out of the manhole looking more than a little scruffy but otherwise intact. Dorene continued with the report.

“Ms. Stevens and Mr. Tilton were also at the airport when another tornado grazed the control tower. They were in the weather service office helping to coordinate spotter information when this happened. The video was shot by another freelance photographer.”

The video showed the tornado driving debris into the side of the building. Adam and I were clearly visible through the picture window. You could see me grabbing his arm to pull him out of the room moments before the windows exploded inward. Then the twin engine plane slammed into the same spot where we had been standing. It also showed part of the outside wall of the hallway crumbling as debris hit the bricks.

Dorene continued with her report. "Two other people working in the weather service office were taken to area hospitals with life threatening injuries. This morning, both are reported to be in stable condition."

The picture switched back to the studio from the live shot at the airport. "Thanks, Dorene. In a related story, Ms. Stevens and Peggy Thompson are scheduled to receive awards at the Mayor's dinner coming up this weekend. Be sure to tune in right here on channel 3 for the award ceremony live on Saturday night."

Oh, great. Now they're gonna broadcast the thing live. I suppose I had better go looking my best. I need to call Rebekkah for that appointment. I made a note on a napkin and finished off breakfast then cleaned up the kitchen mess I made. It would still be a couple of hours before I could make calls to Rebekkah or Peggy so I decided to work in the computer room on the servers.

I got lost in the work and only stopped when the private line rang a couple of hours later. It turned out to be Peggy.

"Hi, Jen. Do you want me to come over today?"

"Not really Peggy, I would like you to come over tomorrow though to help me work on makeup and clothes some more. We also need to pick up our dresses for the award banquet and get ourselves over to Rebekkah's place on Saturday morning."

"All right. I can be available as early as nine AM on Saturday so go ahead and make the appointment. Since the dresses are all paid for I'll go and pick them up and bring them with me on Saturday morning. Right now I think you'd get mobbed if you showed up in the mall. Your face was all over the television news again this morning. Even the local paper had pictures and a story or two about Saturday."

"I know. I don't know how I keep getting involved in these things. All I want to do is go back to work in my nice boring job."

"That nice boring job was what started the change, Jen."

"True. I just want to try to get back to as normal as possible as soon as possible, whatever normal turns out to be from now on. I'm going to visit the folks at work today then go to the theater to work on the sound system and lighting."

"You're working on a play?"

"Yes. The community theater group is doing Victor/Victoria in January."

"Did you try out for the Victoria role? You'd be perfect for it."

"You too, huh? I've been asked that so many times I lost count. The answer is still the same. NO. I'm just doing lights and sound. The director is an old friend of mine from my previous theater days. He asked me in to help because the equipment needs some repairs and the group doesn't have any money left in the budget for the play. They'll either make enough to keep going or close up shop after the play finishes the run."

"Ok. Is there anyone else I know in the play?"

"Why, yes. Adam got the King Marchand role. He turned as white as a sheet when my friend Greg announced it then almost backed out if I would have let him. I told him I'd help him with the lines and such. I have to learn the whole play anyway because of the lighting and sound work."

"That's great, Jen. You sure got him to come alive didn't you?"

"In more ways than just that too. Say, why did you hide the condoms?"

"So I take it they got used over the weekend?" I heard her giggle.

"Let's just say my I lost my virgin status and let it go at that. I did have a wonderful time though."

"Looking forward to the next time?"

"Whenever that turns out to be, yes I am.”

“So tell me, how did it all happen?”

“Well, after Adam and I were in the storm that hit the drive-in…”

“WHAT? You didn’t tell me that! When did this happen?”

“Friday night. We were at the drive-in up north setting up my truck for the ‘Disaster Double Feature’ night. A big storm came up and almost rolled the truck. A few people were hurt and I became a partner in the drive-in operation. Just little things. Nothing major, Peggy.”

“Nothing major she says. SHEESH! Well did you do it when you got home?”

“No, not that night. I had a nightmare like when you stayed over. Adam slept in my bed the rest of the night. He was a perfect gentleman and didn’t do anything. Besides I was still having my period.”

“SO WHEN ALREADY?”

“It was after Adam and I were almost killed twice on Saturday, once at the airport and again at the transmitter site. We went back to my house. We felt better after we both cleaned up from the storm. I realized my period had ended. I was in the mood and so was he. The rest, as they say, is history.”

“Well, how was the first time?”

“Wonderful. Unlike anything I’ve ever felt before. And it just got better each time.”

“How many times, Jen?”

“I really don’t know.”

“How many times, Jen?”

“You expected me to count them?”

“HOW MANY TIMES, JEN?”

“Ahhh…I lost count after the first six orgasms.”

“THE FIRST SIX? I can barely get my hubby to give me ONE. What did you put in Adam’s food and where can I get some of it?”

“Nothing, I swear! Maybe it helped that I accidentally flashed him in the morning?”

“You flashed him? How did that happen?”

“I was setting on the bed when he came in to use the shower. I forgot to hold onto my towel and it slipped off. In all fairness he did flash me back. He's got nice buns too.” I giggled a bit at the thought.

“Am I going to have to chaperone you two next time you get together?”

“Better not or I’ll never speak to you again! I’m a big girl now, mommy. Don’t spoil my fun, ok?” I blew a raspberry into the phone.

“Ok… all right… at the very least you used the condoms. I guess you’ll survive, Jen.”

I looked at the time on the computer’s task bar. “Sorry, Peggy, I just looked at the time and I have to go. I need to get moving if I'm going to stop at the College today to see everyone and arrange to get back to work."

"I'll talk to you in the morning tomorrow, Jen. Bye." I said goodbye then put the phone back on the hook. The time was nearing eight AM so I finished up the web site work quickly. The weather was starting to turn colder as summer started to fade and fall crept onto the scene. The air felt a little chilly as I walked to the truck in the short skirt. Another thing I'll have to get used to. I wonder what winter is going to feel like? I have far less built-in padding in most places to keep me warm now.

Getting into the truck in a short skirt was a challenge. I finally pulled the door toward me to provide a screen and swung my right leg up into the truck. I felt my skirt ride up so I know I would have given anyone looking a free peek if the door wasn't shielding me. I pulled myself into the seat then lifted my left leg into the cab. Not pretty but it worked. I'll need to get some running boards or a step put on this thing to make getting in easier when I'm dressed like this. The truck roared to life and I slowly backed out of the driveway headed for the College.

The drive to the College was rather uneventful with only a scare or two from the traffic, quite normal for a Monday morning. Classes were in session so I had to park well out in the faculty/staff lot and walk to the administration building. My heels clicked loudly on the cold pavement. More than a few male and female heads tracked my movement toward the entrance. Most people recognized me from all of the media coverage of the past few weeks. The rest were only looking at a well dressed young woman they didn’t know. I didn't really want to dwell on what may have been running through the male minds at the time. I mused that walking in as the old me, few if any people would have even noticed I was there.

I made it inside the building then turned right down the hall to the IR department office suite. I reached the door, stopped momentarily and took a couple of deep breaths in an effort to prepare myself for whatever was coming. With a less than a firm grip on reality I opened the door and stepped inside. I was greeted by the department secretary.

"Hello, can I help you, Miss?”

I realized she didn’t recognize me so I decided to see how long it would take her. "Yes Janet, you can. Is the boss in yet?"

"I'm sorry Miss but Mr. Brookfield isn't in yet. Would you like to wait?"

"Yes, I'll wait. My name is Jennifer Stevens." I walked over to a row of chairs and made myself comfortable remembering to smooth my skirt as I sat down then crossed my legs at the knees.

Janet looked over at me for several minutes. "Excuse me, Miss, Are you the one that has been on television so much over the past few days?"

"Yes, I'm the one." I smiled back at her.

"Oh, my God! Bob is that really you?"

"I was wondering how long it would take you. Yes, this is the new me." I stood up and twirled around. "How do you like it?"

"You look great! You want to be called Jennifer now right?"

"That or Jennie or Jen. ‘Bob’ effectively died from the lightning strike and a new me was born in his place."

"Hang on a minute and I'll get everyone in here. Just stay there and we'll have some fun, OK?"

"Go ahead, Janet." She picked up the phone and hit the PAGE button.

"Will everyone please come up front. We have a visitor I'm sure you all will want to see." They trickled to the front office. A few recognized me instantly from the media coverage. A few others had to get the word from the other folks in the office. Everyone was glad to see me. Most of the women wanted to know how I felt and what the change was like. I promised to talk to them about it in a little more private place than the middle of the reception area.

One of the single men propositioned me for a date and something more afterwards. I didn't appreciate the leering looks I was getting as he openly stared at my chest. I declined telling him I wasn't into that yet and made a mental note to stay away from him for a while until I could learn to defend myself a bit better. A few other men wanted to know what it was like to have female parts especially the breasts. I politely informed them that it wasn't appropriate in view of the College's harassment policies to talk about such things. Since I was a woman now they had better watch their actions. I didn't want to make trouble for anyone but I was unwilling to take any type of abuse from any co-worker.

The crowd was breaking up as the boss came in. He did a double take when he saw me then a smile of recognition appeared. "Hello, Jennifer. I was wondering when you'd show up. Come on into the office."

I followed him into his office and sat down in a chair across from his desk. "It's good to be back for a visit, Tony. I do need to get back to work. I'm healthy and I seem to be adjusting to all of this." I pointed to my body and shrugged.

"I've seen what you've been doing since you got out of the hospital. Not quite like it used to be is it?"

"That's true. I seem to be a local and maybe a national celebrity and the circumstances of the last few days haven't helped that any. I guess I was just in the wrong place at the right time to be able to help. I’m glad I could help people but I gave up a whole lot of privacy doing it. I just want to get back to the 5 day a week grind and get lost in the background if that's still possible."

"You do know that with that settlement you got you don't have to go back to work don't you?" His words hit me hard. I knew that of course but I didn't think other people knew how much I got.

"You know about that?"

"Yes. I was told all of the details and asked to keep it private. Everyone else knows there was an insurance settlement just not how much it was. And let's leave it that way shall we? I don't want everyone to go around trying to get struck by lightning on the Campus!"

"That works for me, Tony. Can I start again on Monday next week? I'd start sooner but I'm still learning about makeup and clothes and other feminine stuff that would bore most men to tears. I need to know all of that now though. Most natural women learn that from childhood. I have 24 years of learning to make up for."

"Monday is fine. You seem to have done well so far. Nice outfit too. Whoever is helping you is doing a good job."

"Thanks but this was entirely my choice. I just picked out what looked good on the women I saw and got some of the same things for myself."

"I guess that works, Jennifer."

"Tony, just Jen or Jennie please. Anything else before I get going today?"

"Yes there is. Can you run a calibration session on the cesium clocks? You're the only one that fully understands the process. They haven't been checked since your accident."

"I'll be glad to do that. Are the shop guys aware of what's happened to me or will I get some strange looks from them when I show up in my office over there?"

"I'll call over to let them know you're coming. How's that?"

"Thanks, Tony. I'll see you next week." He waved as he reached for the phone. I heard him explain to the shop folks what was going on. I waved to the folks in the office then headed for the security office to get a new college ID card. Fortunately I had all of the proper paperwork with me and the security person on duty had heard of my change on the news. I left the security office and walked to the library building across the huge parking lot.

The college was located on a hilltop at over a thousand feet above the surrounding country. The winds up here are well known for their ferocity even in summertime. The wind whipped at my legs and found its way up under my skirt. I vowed that if I have to wear skirts I was going to get some thermal panty hose if it existed or invent it if it didn't.

I made it into the building and headed for the basement. My office and the servers were located next to the IR workshop. I passed by the door to the workshop and let myself into my office. It had been several weeks since I was last here and the place still looked just about as I had left it.

I sat down at the desk in the big oversized chair that I had required as a man. I sort of felt lost in it now. I looked over at the phone to see the message light flashing and decided to check those out after I did the clock check.

The College had gotten lucky when another local college upgraded their high tech science lab a year ago. They had two serviceable cesium clocks that they donated to us. I had arranged to set them up as a master clock for all of the servers and computers on campus as well as making them available as a time source over the Internet. Cesium clocks use a gas called cesium to generate a precise frequency that is in turn used to derive the time. A calibration procedure is needed almost weekly to keep them in proper time sync with other time sources. There isn’t very much drift and what little drift there was is measured in fractions of millionths of a second. Our College was just using them as a stable time source. Other places used them as master timers and signal sources in their science labs and that required much more precise calibration procedures than the routines I used.

I left my desk and walked into the server room where the clocks were located. I had a pair of them interconnected so one monitored the other for accuracy and time variations. I went to the first in the pair and started the calibration sequence leaning against the small rack where the clock was mounted to take some weight off my aching feet. Now I remember why most of the female staff here don't normally wear heels. Even the male staffers wore sneakers when they spent hours on the hard concrete floors of some of the server areas. A few seconds later the second clock registered a major time and frequency shift in the first clock. I knew this because a red alarm light went on and a small buzzer sounded on the second clock. I moved away from the first clock and the alarm on the second clock stopped. Now it registered that the two clocks matched. I put my hands on the controls of the second clock to check it out when the first registered a similar time and frequency error in the clock I was now touching. I moved my hands away from the controls and the alarm turned off in the first clock as the second returned to the correct frequency and time.

In both cases I had been touching the controls or steel cases of the clocks when this happened. I touched the first clock with just a fingertip on the metal panel and watched the readouts on the second clock. In a few seconds the time difference was almost 100 milliseconds and growing, the first clock seeming to run faster than the second clock. The alarm went off on the second clock and I took my finger away from the first clock. Immediately the readouts on the second clock indicated the first clock was back on time.

I repeated the test with the second clock and got exactly the same results as the first. Then I touched both clocks and it appeared as nothing happened. Both stayed in sync. After thirty seconds I removed my hand from both clocks, watching as they both jumped back about 250 milliseconds in time on the readouts. Something in my body was causing the clocks to speed up when I touched them and revert to normal time when I stopped. I went to my own workbench and got a pair of latex gloves I use for laser printer cleaning then tried to repeat the experiments. The gloves were enough to prevent the clocks being disturbed by my touching them. I finished up the calibration procedure on both clocks then returned to my desk. I sat there lost in thought over what had just happened.

I was jarred back to reality by a knock on the door of my office. “Come in!” It turned out to be one of the shop folks. “Hi, Bill. How are you?”

“Good I guess, Jennifer is it now? Boy that lightning sure did a number on you. How are you feeling?”

“More than a little strange at times, Bill. Like just before you knocked. I’ll be fine with a bit more time. Tony told you I’m coming back next week didn’t he?”

“He did. And he told us you prefer to be treated like the woman you are. Right?”

“Yes, Bill. That’s true. The old ‘Bob’ effectively died when the lightning struck him a few weeks ago. The doctors told me I could never go back so I decided to accept what I am. I’m actually enjoying it since I’m healthy and young again. I have some living to do all over again and I’m not quite so shy about experiencing life any more either.”

“I’m glad to know you’re adapting so well. How long are you here today, Jennifer?”

“Jennie or Jen, please, Bill. I’ll only be here for a few more minutes. I’ll be back full time on Monday though. I have some rather intense studying to do about makeup and clothes. I learned the basics already but the finer points still elude me.”

“Ummmm… Jen, If you need to know anything please feel free to ask me in private ok?”

“Thanks, Bill. I imagine as a cross dresser you learned quite a bit didn’t you?” The look on his face changed to a look of almost total terror at my remark. “Bill, calm down. I’ve suspected for almost two years now and I’ve never said a word have I?”

“But how…”

“…did I figure it out?” He just nodded yes. “Remember when we were pulling that cable in one of the buildings a couple of years ago? You were up on a ladder when the back of your jeans dropped down when you stretched up to reach a ceiling tile. I thought it was rather odd that someone choose to wear pink underwear. At the time, I just assumed that something colored your underwear in the wash. Your comment just now completed the picture. Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me, Bill. It’s nobody else’s business.”

The look on his face changed back to almost normal. “Thanks, Jen. If the other guys knew they would probably never understand. I only go out dressed to places where I would never expect to see someone from the College. I did see a couple of people from here in a club once though.”

“Let me guess. A man and a woman. The man was dressed very convincingly in woman’s clothes and the woman was dressed in identical clothes. They looked like they might have been sisters. Right?”

“Yes. Do you know them?”

I nodded. “That was Jeff and Suzy. I’ve known about them for quite some time. Once you get past the kinky stuff they’re a very nice couple. They also throw one heck of a party.”

“Jen, I’m surprised at you! I never knew.”

“Well, Bill, I never got into the wild stuff but when you looked like I did you take your friends any way they come. Jeff and Suzy are the best. Want to go to their next party? Their ‘Kiss Summer Goodbye’ cookout should be coming up any time now. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind another guest especially if you come dressed. It’s usually a ‘come as you REALLY are’ type party. Nothing too funky, just a time and place where people can come together to share the company of others without anyone judging you because of the way you look. It was the only place I felt comfortable around people in a party situation. Strange huh?”

“I think I’d like that, Jen. Please let them know I’m interested.”

“I’ll let them know, Bill. I hope I haven’t missed the cookout. They make some of the best barbecue beef and pork in the area. It even rivals the Dinosaur Barbecue place downtown. Do you cook at all?”

“I’m told I make a great seven layer salad. Think they’d like a dish to pass around?”

“Yes, everyone usually brings their best dish. I usually bring lots of my garden relish sauce to top off the burgers and hot dogs.” We heard a knock on the door. I winked at Bill and put my finger on my lips for him to be quiet. “Come in!”

Wally, one of the other service crew, came in. There was far more than a slight resemblance between Wally and Maynard G. Crebbs from the old Dobie Gillis television show. “I wondered where you went, Bill. Who’s the cute chick?” He pointed my way. Bill glared back at him.

“That, you dimwit, is Jennifer Stevens. You remember him er… her don’t you? Don’t you watch the news on television?”

“Nope. Only the Saturday morning cartoons. What do you mean him? That’s a girl setting there”

“That, my friend with the pot soaked brain, is the former Bob Stevens. Remember when the guy got hit by lightning a few weeks ago here on campus?”

“Hey, man, I’m lucky to remember my own name sometimes. So who’s the cute chick?”

“Oh, Jen. I give up. Do you want to try explaining to him?”

“Nice to meet you, Wally is it? I’m Jennifer Stevens. The old network administrator, Bob Stevens, died in the hospital from his injuries. I’m his replacement. I’ll be starting here full time next week.”

“Welcome Jennifer. Well I just was wondering where Bill went. I’ll get back to the shop now.” He turned toward the door and disappeared down the hallway. Bill closed the door. Moments later we both broke out in laughter at the total clueless attitude of the guy.

“Bill, I wonder how he keeps the job sometimes.”

“If he wasn’t so good fixing PCs he would be out of here in a matter of seconds I suspect.”

“Me too. I do need to get moving again since I have lots more to do today. Here’s my home phone number if you want to call and talk some evening. Please don’t give it out to anyone else since it’s my private line. If I’m at home I’ll always answer this number. The public line I don’t always answer even when I’m home.”

“Understood, Jennifer. See you next week. And please do tell Jeff and Suzy I’d like to come to their party please.”

“I’ll do that. See you next week, Bill.” He waved as he left for the workshop down the hall.

I quickly checked the voicemail system to find over 20 messages waiting. I decided to leave them for next week since the Boss said that there was nothing urgent waiting for me. I reasoned that many of them could be people trying to get in touch with me from all of the publicity the past few weeks. I booted my office computer to check for email waiting for me. While I was waiting I recorded a new greeting message for the phone. As I was about to log into the email server the phone rang. The double rings indicate it was a call coming in from off-campus. I decided to grab it.

“Network Operations. Can I help you?”

“This is Josie Williams from the Sentinel. Could I speak to Jennifer Stevens please?”

“That’s me.”

“We’ve been trying to reach you concerning setting up an interview with one of our reporters about your incredible story. When can we arrange to send someone over?”

“I’m sorry but I can’t do that just yet. The first interview has been promised to a local television station. Until that tapes and airs I’m not doing any other interviews. What has appeared so far has been normal news coverage of events I’ve been involved in.”

“Not even if we could pay you for your time?”

“Sorry, ma’am but no thanks. I don’t wish to seem rude but this is my workplace and calls like this one are not something I feel is appropriate to do on company time.”

“I understand. Would you consider us for your first in-depth print interview?”

“Possibly but contact me at home after the television interview airs please. Goodbye.”

“Goodbye and thanks again. (CLICK)”

I wonder how many times they’ve tried to call the house and only got the answering machine. For that matter I wonder how many times everyone else has tried to call and got the machine. I wish there was an incoming call counter for calls people make without leaving a message on that thing. The phone rang several more times in the 10 minutes I looked at email. From the ring I knew that they were all from an outside number so I let the voicemail system handle those. I have a feeling that I may need to spend a full day next week just answering the phone and telling people no. On the other hand I could always ask for a new phone number instead of the current one and leave it unlisted in the campus directory.

I finished up with the email, turned off the computer and the lights and locked the door behind me as I left for the truck. I did notice that the stairs
were no longer a problem for me the way they were for the old male me. I just charged right up them almost taking them two at a time except for the short skirt I wore. I left the building, walking across the parking lot to the truck, my heels clicking all the way. Again, heads turned in my direction. I finally reached the truck and used the door as a screen again to safely climb in without providing a show of my panties. I pulled out of the lot toward the downtown area and the theater.

The clock in the dash read almost noontime. My tummy rumbled a bit so I decided to stop somewhere for lunch. Since I was dressed reasonably well I decided to visit a place called Salvatore's frequented by some of the local radio and television folks. I hoped to see my friend Roy there. I had only heard about the place and until now never even dared to go there.

I found a space in the parking lot then locked up the truck. The entrance was a short uneventful walk across the parking lot. As my eyes adjusted to the lower light level inside I was greeted just inside the door.

“Hello. May I help you Ms. Stevens. I do recognize you from coverage of recent events. I’m Sal.”

“Well, Sal, I was hoping to get a table to have some lunch. Is that possible?”

“Yes it is, right this way please.” He led me to a table in the center of a row along the wall. “Is this all right miss?”

“Yes. Could I see a menu please. This is my first time here.”

“Certainly. I’ll be right back.” He left and reappeared moments later with silverware, napkins, a glass of water with ice and of course a menu. “Would you like a few minutes to decide?”

“Yes, please.” He bowed then left to seat some new customers. He returned about 5 minutes later.

“Are you ready to order, miss?”

“Yes, I’ll have a small chef salad with Thousand Islands dressing and two small rolls with butter please. Also a glass of soda with ice.”

“Very good. I’ll have that for you in a few minutes.”

I looked around the room not seeing anyone I immediately recognized. Of course, all of the noon news anchors and staff would be on the air right now. They wouldn’t be in here for another hour or more at least. I wouldn’t be seeing Dorene today. As I waited for my lunch a tall man came up beside the table and stood there a moment.

“Hello, Ms Stevens. May I join you?” I looked up and saw Bob Johnston, the general manager of WTGF, the station where Roy worked.

“Please do have a seat, Bob, and please call me Jennifer. We've known each other for years so don't be so formal. I needed to catch up with you at some point anyway and now is a good time. How is the station surviving after the storm?”

“Fairly well I think. You know, without your trip to the transmitter site, we would never have been able to warn as many people as we did. Just for that this meal is on the station as a very small way of saying thanks. I saw the video of the storm and all of us at the station want to say thanks for risking your life to help us out, Jennifer.”

“Thanks, Bob. I do appreciate that. What about all of the tower damage? How long will that take to fix?”

“Several months it seems. There is no exact match for the old towers any more so we have to put up 4 brand new towers. It’s driving Roy nuts trying to get our FCC approval in a short amount of time. Our nighttime coverage is only about one tenth of what it was due to the power reduction we have to do at night.”

“That’s rough. Is the insurance going to help any with the damage or are they saying that the storm is an ‘Act of God’?”

“That’s the excuse they’re using all right. Looks like corporate is going to have to eat the bill on this one. I don’t have any firm quote on the new towers either.”

“Any guess on the amount yet?”

“Roy has an educated guess of between one hundred thousand dollars to almost a quarter of a million dollars depending on the options we select for the new array.”

“Please do us all a favor and put in remote antenna selectors. OK?”

“No problem on that for certain in view of your experience.” Bob chuckled and I giggled a bit.

“Roy said something about my show proposal too. He said I needed to talk to you about it.” Just then, Sal brought my lunch. Bob ordered then asked Sal to add my meal to his check. We continued to talk as I had my lunch.

"Wow, Jennifer. Getting waited on by the owner of the place? What did you do?"

"Nothing, Bob. He just introduced himself when I came in. He's really the owner?"

“Yes, he owns this place. Hmmm… most unusual. Anyway, we want to go ahead with the show if you’re interested.”

“I’m certainly still interested, Bob. Who are we going to get to be the host? I just wanted to produce the show.”

“I was hoping that you would both host and produce it, Jennifer. Before you think we’re trying to cash in on your newly found fame, I did try to reach you about that on the day of your accident. In fact, as I now know what happened on that day, it was just about the time you got hit. My message is probably still on your voicemail at the college.”

“I was just there. I saw there were at least twenty messages so I decided to leave them for the start of next week. I’m sorry about that Bob. I could have heard it today but just didn’t go far enough I guess.”

“So are you still interested?”

“Yes, I am. When did you want to try some shows to see if the concept works?”

“We know it works, Jennifer. The previous show you did for us years ago proved that. The station at the time was more interested in turning some profit than it was in doing live local shows since the dollars were so tight. If it had been my choice you would still be on the air right now.”

“Ok. So when do we start again?”

“Whenever you’re ready. I just need a four week head start for a publicity campaign. I want to do it right this time. I want to get corporate to carry the show on all of their other AM stations live. That’s over seventy stations in the network, many of them in major markets including New York City, Washington and Los Angeles.”

"Could I have a day or two to make a decision, Bob?"

"Yes, that's fine. To help you make your decision here's what you'll be getting paid." He grabbed a napkin and wrote two figures then handed it to me. I looked at the figures and my mouth dropped wide open for a few seconds. "The first figure is just for you appearing on the local station. That's per show. The other figure is what you'll get per show if we can set up a distribution network of at least fifty stations. We'll pro-rate between those amounts increasing the amount whenever ten more stations are added to the network. How's that sound, Jennifer?"

I just sat there stunned for what seemed like an hour. I guess it was only a few seconds though. "Bob, I truly don't know what to say right now. I never thought something like this was possible. You will definitely have my answer by four PM tomorrow. I just need to check some things out to make sure other activities I've committed to are handled properly. I do need to have some idea as to what time the show will run. I'm going to work with the community theater group on a play and I need to make sure the afternoons and evenings are free for rehearsals. Will the show run past noontime?"

"We were looking at eleven AM until noon for the show. That's late enough to give an eight AM start time live on the west coast if the show goes into syndication. Does that fit in with what you need to do?"

"That works out quite well actually. I'll call you tomorrow with a final answer. At the moment though I'm inclined to accept the offer. Can we consider one thing though? Let's try this for about sixteen weeks. If, at the twelve week mark, things don't seem to be working out we can gracefully stop things and part friends. Does that sound reasonable?"

"If you hadn't asked for something like that I was going to suggest it tomorrow myself. Looks like were on the same wavelength on this."

A waiter finally brought his lunch. I picked up my glass and raised it in a toast. "Here's to the start of what I hope will be a wonderful relationship." Bob responded by picking up his glass and clinking it on mine.

"I completely agree. By the way, if the theater group wants some publicity tell them that we’ll give then some advertising time in exchange for a block of tickets we can use as give-aways."

We finished our meals then Bob picked up the check. I thanked him and headed to my truck to go to the theater. Sal stopped me on my way out.

"How was everything. Ms. Stevens?"

"Wonderful, Sal. I hope to be back much more often."

"That's good to hear. I'm pleased you enjoyed our food. May I ask a small favor of you?"

"Go right ahead." I wondered what was coming now.

"I would very much like to get a picture of us together and place it in a position of honor in the restaurant. You'll notice other photos of other celebrities that have visited the restaurant." He motioned toward the walls.

I glanced around and saw loads pictures of him with local radio and television people. I even saw a few of him with several nationally known stars taken when they came to visit the area. "Sal, I hardly think I'm in the 'celebrity' category considering the people in your pictures. Are you sure?"

"I'm quite certain, Miss Stevens. Shall I call get my camera?"

"If you're certain Sal then it's all right with me. I'm honored."

"Thank you, Miss Stevens. I'll be right back."

"Sal, since I suspect I'm likely to become a regular please do call me Jennifer." Sal smiled then left to get the camera. He returned in a minute or so with the camera and one of the office staff. He handed the camera to the woman and motioned me to follow him to a spot near the front door. He reached a light switch and turned it on adding some light to the area. We stood next to each other and I put my arm around his shoulders. I motioned that it was all right for him to place his arm around my waist. The woman snapped two pictures. I motioned for her to snap one more then turned and planted a big kiss on Sal's cheek. The woman giggled after she took the picture. I couldn't see but I suspect that the look on Sal's face was a keeper.

"Thank you again, Jennifer. You surprised me! If that last one comes out well may I use it on the wall?"

"Certainly. I'd like a copy of all three pictures please. I suspect the look on your face on that last one isn't seen too often around here."

"That is quite true. I want to give you something." He reached into his pocket and took out a small gold colored plastic card embossed with my name. "I was hoping to see you come in. This is a card for our establishment. It contains a special telephone reservation line number. If you show it to any of the staff when you first arrive, you will be accorded the finest seating immediately. If you also have any special food requests please feel free to bring in the recipe and I'll have our staff make sure they can prepare it for you. If it is very good we would like permission to add it to our menu with your name. We have several special dishes suggested or created by our guests on the menu already."

"Sal, do you remember a little restaurant called Bubbles that was located on the arcade down at Sylvan Beach years ago?"

"Yes, I do. They had the most wonderful vegetable garnish for their hamburgers and hot dogs. Why do you ask?"

"Are you interested in the recipe?"

"Who do I have to ask to get it? I have been trying off and on for a few years to re-create it! I would be glad to add it to the menu as a special side item."

"You only need to ask me, Sal. Like you, I tried for several years to re-create it. I was finally successful. It's quite simple to make actually. I only have the basic ingredients written down. I'll have to bring in all of the items and prepare a batch here so your staff can figure out how to duplicate it. It that all right?"

"I can ask for nothing better than a lesson in how to prepare it from the woman that figured it out. We are ready for you anytime you are ready to show us."

"Well then the next time I come and have a couple of hours extra I'll arrange with your staff to do it."

"Thank you so much Jennifer. And now I feel I must let you go. I did after all interrupt you as you were leaving."

"Sal, I will be coming back very soon. Thanks for your fine hospitality and wonderful food." I offered my hand for a handshake. Instead, he gently took my hand in his and kissed it.

"I look forward to your return."

He bowed again then went back to taking care of his customers. I headed for the door to the parking lot. I had a lot to think about and some quiet time in an empty old theater was just what I needed right now.

I put the truck into a parking slot as close to the stage door as I could. I unlocked the door and went inside locking it again behind me. I turned lights on as I went until I got to the actual door to the stage area. Just inside the door was a switch for the backstage work lights. Someone had left an old couch sitting on the stage with the back facing the audience. I decided that it looked like a comfortable spot and plopped down to do some serious thinking. I kicked off my heels and tucked my legs up underneath me. I realized only after I did it that it was now almost a reflex action.

I knew what doing a radio show was like from a few years back. I had hosted a similar show for the same station. There were lots of pluses and a few negatives. The main negative point is being tied down to going to the station every Saturday. Of course back then I lived a whole lot farther away from the station than I do now. I could always put in some additional phone lines and feed the show back to the station from my home studio if it really caught on.

The positive points were the pay, the fact that except for promotional materials I wouldn't be seen on television, and the fact that many people don't really recognize voices that well. On the old show my male voice was rather distinctive and was easily recognized outside of the station. I had quite a few people recognize my old and ask about the show or want an autograph. With my new voice, I would just blend into the background when I wasn’t on the air. Radio is much different from television in that you usually don't develop "groupies" the way someone does if your appearance is well known. There is no constant exposure of your face so people easily recognize you to become attached.

I did need to let Greg know about it though since whatever I did might effect my working on the play. Either way the group could get some “free” publicity in exchange for some tickets to give away. In the stage business, you take things like publicity however you can get them. No opportunity was overlooked if it meant helping the balance in the checking account at the close of the play. Any publicity that I could generate would only be a plus.

Then there was the problem I had discovered back at the College. What were the strange signals being generated by my body that could have such an effect on a cesium clock? They're the most stable things in the world if properly cared for. Would the signal give me problems with the equipment at the station? I needed to experiment with the production studio at home to be certain.

It felt like I had been there for hours thinking when I was startled by someone clomping down the hallway outside. The side door to the stage opened and Tammy came bounding in.

"Hi, Jen. You're early. Been here long?"

"Since quarter after one or thereabouts. I was just sitting here enjoying some quiet time and thinking about things. Sometimes I just need to get in a quiet place and reason something out."

"Oh, sorry. Did I interrupt you?"

"Yes, but that's OK. I tend to get lost in thought sometimes lately. This was one of those times. So much has happened that parts of it all are still sinking in. Just when I think I have a firm grasp on reality something else happens to turn my world sideways again."

"I'd offer a penny for your thoughts, Jen, but they don't buy as much as they used to." Tammy smiled at me.

"Well, Tammy, I just found out that the big radio station in the city wants me to host a one hour radio show on technology for them on Saturday mornings. I'm still trying to figure out all the ramifications of doing it."

"That's great! Have you decided yet?"

"I'm leaning toward a yes answer but there are still lots of things I have to work out." Tammy flew toward me and gave me a huge hug.

"Oh, Jen, I'm so happy for you. Can I come and watch some day?"

"Hold on there tiger. I haven’t told them anything yet!"

“Told who what yet?” We turned around to see Greg standing behind us in the audience.

“Hi Greg. I was just telling Tammy that I got an offer from WTGF to do a talk show on technology on their station every week. I haven’t told them yet that I would do it. I only found out a little over two hours ago.”

“That’s great, Jen. I hope you can still help us out though.”

“No problem there, Greg. The show would run from eleven AM until noon and I’ll be out of the studio by quarter after twelve every Saturday. Since the show doesn’t start until three PM there’s plenty of time to get here.”

“Then there’s no problem. I wish you the best with the new show, Jen.”

“Thanks, Greg.”

“So, Jen, are you working here today in those clothes?” Tammy pointed to my skirt and heels.

“Certainly not. I brought some other stuff. Got somewhere I can use to change?”

“Just follow me, Jen.” Tammy led the way to one of the many dressing rooms along the hallway. I went in and emerged a few minutes later in the jeans and work shirt I had packed in the bag this morning. I couldn't find Tammy so I went out on the stage and yelled.

“Hey Tammy! Ready to check out the follow spots and the sound system today?” She popped out from behind a scenery flat stored against a wall backstage.

“Sure. I was checking if there are microphone jacks hidden along the walls. I did find a couple of them hidden back there. What do you want to do first?”

“Let’s do the rest of the lighting then the sound system last.”

I followed Tammy to the back of the theater where we worked our way up a narrow stairway to the balcony area used for the follow spots. They were large spotlights mounted on a stand. An operator moved them by hand to follow a character around on the stage. The spots could change the color of the light, and the size and shape of the beam they projected on the stage. Most small theaters had at least two follow spots. This theater had four. All were quite old but in reasonably good shape. Only a few minor repairs and lubrication on the moving parts to keep them quiet would be needed to restore them to good working order. The color filters also needed to be replaced since they were faded and cracked from the heat of the spotlight bulb.

We went back down to the orchestra pit. I waited while Tammy brought out a small rolling desk type arrangement that had the sound system mounted in it. It plugged into the edge of the stage using several large cables. One carried the microphones, another was the feed to the speakers mounted at the sides of the stage and the last was for the power for the system. After everything was plugged in we turned on the system and tested each microphone. A couple refused to work and I made some notes of things to check. We also tested out the wireless microphone system and found that a couple of the microphone/transmitter units appeared to be dead. I tried swapping batteries with another working unit but they still refused to work.

There didn’t seem to be any major problems with the sound system either. Just loads of little things that had been left unfixed over the years. A good cleanup of the tape decks and mixing board would restore the system to serviceable use. We unplugged the system then I talked to Greg as Tammy put it away.

“Well, Greg. It looks like the lighting and sound system is in better condition than you thought. Sure they need some fix-ups here and there but nothing that I can’t handle easily. You’ll need to get new filter material for all of the spots since the old stuff is pretty much gone but that’s minor. The sound system needs a few microphones repaired or maybe replaced. Other than that things are in good shape for the play.”

“Thanks, Jen. Having you around helps a lot. Do you think Tammy would mind if I asked you to run the sound and lighting for the play?”

“We can talk to her about it. I don’t think she’ll mind though. I do want to have her help so there’s someone that can take over in an emergency. Sort of an understudy position.”

“Good thinking, Jen.”

“I wanted to ask you about publicity too, Greg. The radio station said that if you want to give them a small block of tickets for use as give-aways they would provide some advertising time. That would give you lots of on-air exposure for very little up front cost. Are you interested?”

“Sure. Have someone from the station give me a call and we’ll work something out. Thanks for the suggestion, Jen. I’m so glad that we’re working together again after all of this time. I finally have a sense that this play is going to come together just fine.”

“I think things will work out fine too. Most of these folks have been in other plays before. Only a few are first-timers. I just hope that most of them have personal schedules that let them get to all of the rehearsals.”

“Speaking of that, will you help me again as a stand-in when we need you? You always do a good job of learning all of the play so you can step into just about any role in rehearsals.”

“If I’m here for the rehearsals, yes. I’ll do stand-in duty as needed.”

“That helps a lot, Jen. Are you done here for the day?”

“Yes. I was thinking of heading home shortly.”

“If you need to change again the dressing room is still open. I’ll take care of locking up. I’m planning the scenery so I’ll be here a while longer.”

“When do you want to get together and record some music tracks for the practice CD for the cast?”

“How about this weekend? I haven’t scheduled any rehearsals then. They start the next week.”

“I’ll give you a call in a day or so to work out a time. Saturday is bad because of some other activities but Sunday is available. I have to get moving so I’ll see you again this weekend.” I headed for the dressing room to change back into the blouse and skirt. I had another stop to make and the skirt and blouse would look much better than jeans and a work shirt.

When I completed the change I stuffed the jeans and shirt into the bag along with the socks and sneakers. I was back in the panty hose and heels again for this last stop. I locked the dressing room door behind me then headed for my truck in the parking lot. Tammy caught up with me just before I got out the stage door.

“Leaving so soon, Jen?”

“Yes, I have one more stop to make today then I’ll head home. Has Greg talked to you yet?”

“About what?”

“Greg asked me to handle the sound and lighting for this play. I told him I wanted you as assistant if that’s all right with you. I’d like to bring you along as far as I can in the field.”

“I’d like that a lot, Jen. I was hoping you would ask me. I really like working in the theater and I have a strong interest in the backstage stuff more than actually being on the stage.”

“I’m glad to hear that. Can you be here for the rehearsals? I may miss a few of them for a little while. And when I am able to be here, Greg may have me doing stand-ins for cast members that can’t make the rehearsals that night. There needs to be a backup person for most of the major people in and supporting the play and you are mine.”

“I’ll be here then. Thanks again, Jen.” Tammy gave me a huge hug again.

"Thanks, Tammy. Hey, I need your address and phone number!" I dug in my purse for the stack of business cards I had printed up at home. "Here's my name, address and phone number." I added the private line to the card and handed it to her. "The number I added is the private line. Please don't give it out, ok? Here's another card you can write your address and phone number on." I handed her another card and my pen. A few moments later she handed it back with her address and phone number.

"Tammy, if you aren't doing anything tomorrow give me a call after about ten AM. If I'm available you can come over to see my ham station and Internet stuff."

"I'll have to ask my Mom. Is it all right if she comes too?"

"Sure, I'd like very much to meet your mother. She's welcome any time."

"I'll call you tomorrow then. Thanks, Jen and be careful driving, you look a little out of it right now."

"I feel a little out of it right now too. I want to make one more stop then I'm headed home." I waved back at Tammy as I headed out of the stage door toward my truck.

The truck rumbled to life again and I pointed it in the direction of the nearest mall. That was a smaller mall a few miles away from my house with a science store in it and a video/music store. I pulled into the parking lot a few minutes after I left the theater and found a spot a little way away from an entrance. I locked the truck and headed inside.

The first stop was the video store. I had the VHS tape of Victor/Victoria but not the sound track CD. I decided to pick one up in case I needed to use some of the instrumental tracks. Henry Mancini did a great job with the music. In fact, some of the music was used when Julie Andrews did her stage version of the movie. I found a copy in the movie soundtrack section and paid for it at the checkout.

The science store was next. I looked at the book section not knowing quite what I was looking for. I finally found a book on time theory and relativity. I decided it was better than nothing and took it to the checkout.

The mall had a small food court and since I really didn’t feel like cooking supper when I got home, I got something to eat. It was just a little too early to eat supper but I figured that I could always grab a light snack at home if I felt hungry later. I settled down at a table to quietly eat my dinner and look at the book.

I made it about halfway through my salad when I heard a woman’s voice next to me. “Hi, I’m sorry to bother you but are you the woman that was almost killed in the tornado on Saturday? The one I saw on television?”

“Yes. I’m the one. What can I do for you?”

“Could you sign something for me please? My daughter will never believe I saw you in person.”

“I’ll be happy to. Do you have something I can sign?” She dug around in her purse util she found what looked like a shopping list. She turned it over and handed me the paper and a pen.”

“What’s your daughter’s name?”

“It’s Cindy.”

I wrote “To Cindy, YES your mom DID meet me at the mall today! Jennie Stevens.” I handed the paper and pen back to her. “There you go! Now when you tell your daughter and she says she doesn’t believe you, don’t say a word. Just hand her this.”

She looked at the paper and giggled. “That’s perfect. Thank you!” She put the paper in her purse and walked away chatting with her friend. I was going to go back to reading my book when I noticed a few other people looking in my direction.

“Would you like autographs too?” Many of them smiled when I offered so I motioned them over and signed my name and a special greeting or two for several people. As the last of them left a security guard came over.

“Miss, can you come with me? Our mall manager would like to talk with you a moment.”

“Is there a problem?”

“No that I’m aware of ma’am. He just asked if I would take you back to meet with him in his office.”

“Just let me finish my salad and I’ll be happy to meet the manager.”

The guard nodded then spoke into his handled radio saying that it would be a few more minutes. I finished my salad and cleaned up the tray and the paper plates and cup. I motioned to the guard to lead the way. We headed for the management office in the middle of the mall. I was escorted into the manager’s office.

“Thanks for coming Ms. Stevens. My name is Roger Schuster. I thought it best to talk with you in private so I had our security staff ask you to meet me here. I’m pleased you choose our mall to do some shopping. "

“It’s close to home and has a store or two I’ve shopped at in the past. How did you know I was here?” He motioned to a wall of television screens. Each carried a picture from security cameras spread out all over the mall. One of them showed a picture of the area I sat in when I was in the food court.

"We saw the crowd that gathered just to get your autograph. I counted nearly fifty people and that was just an unannounced visit. I was wondering if you would consider an autograph session for us and we'll make sure the word gets out with some advertising. It would sure help the businesses here."

"To tell you the truth it's not something I had considered before, Mr. Schuster." I sat there for several seconds debating something. " I need to tell you something in the strictest confidence. Do you agree that what I'm about to tell you not be discussed with anyone else without my approval?"

"This intrigues me Ms. Stevens. Yes, I'll agree to your stipulations."

"Jennifer will do please. Mr Schuster…"

"And please call me Roger, Jennifer."

"Roger, earlier today I received an offer from a local radio station to host a live one hour weekly show on computers and technology. While I have not agreed to any terms with the station yet, I hope that agreements will be completed by the end of the week. I've already had a request from a computer store in another mall for a public appearance. I have to be fair and take things in a first asked, first served mode. Properly handled I see no reason why I could not do an appearance after the show premiers and after I appear at the other mall by at least a couple of weeks."

"The prospect certainly does appeal to me and I suspect there are several stores in this mall that would be interested in hosting your appearance. I assume that some form of advertising on the local station during your show would be needed and possibly an advertising package at other times of the day as well?"

"I would say during the show certainly. As for ads at other times, I would leave that to you to determine directly with the station. At the moment, I don't know enough about of any the details to begin to address how to handle this. I can promise that any public appearance will certainly be mentioned frequently on the show."

"Well, Jennifer, here is my business card. I think we can talk at length after you iron out all of the details on your radio show. May I ask when it's likely to start?"

"My guess at the moment is 4 to 6 weeks. The station is talking about a publicity campaign so some time will be needed to get that ready and out to the public. I suspect they will use spots on the station possibly with print and billboard advertising."

"Please do let me know as soon as all of the details are completed. I would like to get involved with this right from the start."

"Should I have the station call you when they're ready to go with the project?"

"If you would that will help greatly."

"Then I'll let you know if it all works out and who to talk to at the station and I'll tell them to call you. Could I have another of your cards to pass along to the station?"

"You sure can. Here are a few extras as well. I do want to thank you again for visiting our mall and making those customers happy by signing autographs for them. If there is anything I can do for you please do let me know."

"Thank you Roger. I'll be in touch as soon as possible."

He picked up the phone and called for the guard. "Jerry, would you please escort this lovely lady back to the mall or her vehicle?"

The guard motioned for me to go ahead. We walked back out into the mall towards the entrance I used earlier. "Thanks, Jerry is it?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"You may be seeing more of me around here. If I do wind up doing a signing session would you like to be on the security detail?"

"It would be an honor, ma'am."

"Thank you, Jerry. Bye now!" I waved goodbye as I stepped outside.

A cool wind had whipped up since I went into the mall. Summertime looked like it was indeed coming to an end. I walked as quickly as I could back to the truck while wearing a skirt with three inch heels. The wind whipping around my legs and another more sensitive part of my new anatomy was uncomfortable. I got the truck started and switched the heat on. The truck warmed up a little on the way home.

I thought of the possibilities as I drove. I didn't like telling the manager another mall asked me first. I knew I needed to give Adam a chance at the publicity if I wanted to keep things with him on a friendly level. I wasn't certain that it would have mattered but I wasn't sure enough about our relationship to test it out like that.

The possibility that other malls or computer stores in other areas where the show would be heard might want a public appearance would also have to factor into whether or not I did the show. If I was expected to travel, I wanted to address that up front and make plans to allow for it.

I decided to stop for some groceries then head for home. A couple of plastic bags full of supplies later I found myself in the driveway of the house. I grabbed the mail from the mailbox then let myself into the house. A trip to the kitchen to put the groceries away was followed very quickly by a trip to my bedroom to change out of the skirt and heels.

I decided to try something different and took one of my new sheer nightgowns out of the closet. I took off my bra sighing as my breasts came free. I wore a different style bra that I hadn't tried on before and found it uncomfortable to wear for as long as I had today. It felt great to have the constricting bra off at last. I decided to leave it off for the night. I needed to get used to these things when they weren't contained in a bra anyway. My nipples came to attention slightly in the cooler air of the bedroom. They were stimulated a little more rubbing against the silky feel of the nightgown and stood out quite prominently. I looked at myself in the mirror on the back of the door. I saw a woman with her breasts displayed in an almost transparent nightgown. She was wearing panty hose and high heels and she was obviously a little turned on. I wondered what would have happened if a woman looking like I do now had been in the same room with the old me. The old me probably would have told the woman that he wasn't interested and that she could do better than to be involved with him anyway. Things are sure different now. I have to remember this look. Next time Adam is here, it will drive him crazy. I sighed and continued changing clothes after looking at myself for a few more seconds.

Off came the panty hose and heels to be replaced with matching panties, some soft socks and a pair of warm fuzzy slippers. I noticed that my feet tend to get cold very quickly. The socks and slippers were comfortable and kept my feet nice and warm.

I looked at the time and decided that a nice long, warm bath would do wonders to relax me so I headed for the bathroom to start the water filling the tub. A handful of bath beads went into the water as I adjusted it to a bit warmer than normal for me. Ten minutes later and I was soaking in the tub in the warm scented water.

The events of earlier today kept racing through my mind. I realized that I have a lot to think about before tomorrow morning.

More later, Dear Diary. I have a feeling that this is going to be a very long night.

-*-*-*-*- Continued in Zapped! Chapter 8 -*-*-*-*-

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos