Secret Lives Part 6

Printer-friendly version
It's pretty hard to keep a secret life hidden from your twin.

Secret Lives
Part 6

By Joanne Foxcourt, 2004

Homepage: Joanne Foxcourt

Synopsis:

Welcome to part 6 of my story about Melissa "Josh" Stevens. If you haven't read the first five parts (chapters 1-23), then you should because what happens here won't make a lot of sense otherwise.

Also, in a never ending series of apologies for taking so long, I want to apologize for taking so long. Several things galvanized me to complete part 6, not the least of which are the various emails people have sent along the way providing encouragement. So, I dedicate this part to all of those who have been patiently waiting without a word of complaint. I wish I had the patience you folks do.

This is a work of fiction so any resemblance to persons living or dead, in whole or in part, is purely coincidental. All of the usual copyright rules apply, but this story may be posted freely on any site that does not require a fee for accessing it. Also, the usual rules about legal restrictions on accessing stories like this apply according to where you hail from.

I hope you enjoy, Joanne

Chapter 24: Back in the Saddle

"So? How was it?" Marie demanded as Melissa fussed with her nametag at the counter.

"My date?" Melissa smiled. "It's was fabulous!"

"So, spill then!"

Melissa related the events of the previous evening, leaving out her conversation with Lisa afterwards. Marie was grinning openly at what happened with Andrea. "That must have angered her a lot," Marie laughed as Melissa nodded with her own smile. "So, are you and Steve going out again?"

"I hope so," Melissa admitted as she completed the opening of the main doors to the mall. It was early, so the halls were largely empty, though she noticed that older man from the newscast peering towards the store. "What do you think he wants?" Melissa asked, nodding towards him.

Marie shrugged. "Who knows? He's a nut, I saw him yesterday."

"He supposedly runs some organization that supports family values."

"Have you ever noticed that family values always seem to include some form of bigotry?" Marie asked.

"I guess," Melissa sighed. "I didn't really have much experience with them before now. I wish I didn't still." She suddered at the glare the man directed her way. "He hates me and I never even met him before."

"Come on, ignore him." Marie pulled Melissa back into the store. "Lisa needs some help setting up the sweater display for the fall line. It'll take your mind off of it all for a while."

Melissa smiled and allowed herself to be pulled back into the store.

*****

"You did what?" Carla demanded.

Lisa cringed as Sue added, "We agreed to keep it to ourselves!"

"Melissa's one of us now," Lisa protested. "I hated keeping that secret from her. You know that she won't care about that, beyond being supportive."

"Why now?" Carla asked, calming down a little as she realized that Lisa was right.

Lisa had the grace to blush. "I got a little jealous of her, I guess," she admitted. Sue and Carla rolled their eyes. "In spite of everything," Lisa continued, "Melissa seems to be pretty happy that it all came out and she doesn't have to keep herself in hiding. I'm tired of hiding too."

"Yeah," Carla whispered as Sue nodded agreement.

"Are you going to tell your Mom?" Sue asked.

"I dunno," Lisa replied. "Melissa thinks I should, but with everything else going on, it just seems like a bad idea."

"Yeah, I think you should wait," Sue told her.

"Then I'm still in hiding," Lisa noted.

"Does that matter, really?" Sue asked.

"I didn't think so, before. Now, um, yeah, I think it does."

*****

"Hey beautiful!" Steve called as Melissa prepared to head out to lunch. "I thought I would join you, is that okay?"

Melissa grinned in happiness and gave Steve a quick hug and a kiss. "Are you kidding?" She added. "I didn't want to leave you last night!"

"Was it my wit, charm, or devastating good looks?"

"All three!"

The pair made their way to the food court and split up to get their selections. Melissa stood in front of the local salad and health food place sizing up the menu options when she felt the shove from behind. Whirling, she came face to face with Turner Davis.

"What do you want?" She snarled at him.

"Hello faggot," Turner grinned and flexed his hands, his two friends snickering behind him. "We don't like your sort in this town."

"What? Human beings?" Melissa shot back.

"Don't piss me off faggot, you'll just get hurt."

"Trying to get another assault charge added to the list?"

"You're pushing your luck," Turner warned.

"No, actually, you are," Steve said as he spun Turner around. "You're annoying my girlfriend and that tends to piss me off."

"Another faggot," Turner snarled as he shoved Steve's hand off his shoulder.

"What's it to you?" Steve asked, sounding very casual. "Did you want to make something of it?"

"Maybe I do," Turner replied as his two friends came up beside him. Steve just grinned at them. "We don't like your kind around here," Turner added.

"Then we have a problem," Steve admitted. "I don't like bigots around here and I don't plan to leave."

"Who you calling a bigot?"

"You're stupid too! Put two and two together bright boy."

Turner snarled and swung his fist rapidly, but nowhere near fast enough as Steve's left hand came up in a block just as his right snaked out in an open-
palmed punch to Turner's chin. Turner dropped to the ground as his two friends looked at each other and then at Steve.

"Rule number one, when picking a fight," Steve suggested to them with a smile, "is that you check to see if your opponent has a black belt in Karate." The two boys backed up into the hands of a couple of security guards.

"What's going on here?" One of the guards demanded.

"We were just coming to the food court to get something to eat when the carpet on the floor there decided that he took offense to me and my girlfriend," Steve explained.

"That's not true," said one of the boys in the grasp of a security guard.

"Actually, it is," said the manager from the salad shop. "I watched the whole thing and the young lady was doing nothing when those three boys accosted her. Then the one on the ground took a swing at her friend."

"He's unconscious," one of the security guards noted.

"Glass jaw," Steve shrugged and grinned. Melissa snaked her arms around him and looked at the security guard.

"We just wanted lunch," she told them. "I work at the Regency and I'm on my lunch break."

"Right," the guard replied. "Well, we'll take care of this from here. Enjoy your lunch."

*****

"My hero," Melissa grinned as she fluttered her eyelashes at Steve. Steve blushed. "Karate?"

Steve shrugged. "I got picked on a lot when I was younger, so my parents decided that it might be a good idea. Karate taught me a lot about myself and made me comfortable in who I am. I guess that's why I was able to come out to my parents. It also ensured that nobody at school would take issue with me being gay."

"Did they? At school, I mean."

"Not to my face," Steve grinned. "Actually, as far as I can tell, most people didn't really care and those that did, kept it to themselves."

"I'm scared of school," Melissa admitted.

"It's in the open now, they aren't all going to be like that asshole."

"I want to believe you, but nobody staged protests over you being gay."

"True, I guess," Steve admitted. "I don't really think it's about you specifically though. I think they're scared because gender seems so immutable and you're not fitting that mould for them and that's shaking their beliefs."

"You're a lot wiser than you look."

"Nah, I just think too much for my own good. I've been thinking about you a lot, you know."

"Really?" Melissa asked, suddenly blushing as she felt an unexpected heat.

"Yeah. I mean, women haven't turned my head before. Sure, I could look at a woman and think she was beautiful, but that was all. I wouldn't be attracted to her. I'm attracted to you though."

"You know I'm not a complete woman yet," Melissa noted.

"Yeah," Steve agreed. "You might as well be though and I'm certainly not going to suggest that you stop half way just for me. You're a pretty girl, but it wouldn't matter to me. Something inside you has me trapped and, for the first time I can remember, I'm finding myself thinking that being in a heterosexual relationship could be just fine."

"You meant what you said to Turner? About me being your girlfriend?"

"Uh, is that okay?" Steve asked, suddenly looking a little awkward. "I mean, I didn't want to put you on the spot like that, but it seemed like a good idea at the time."

Melissa just kissed him.

Chapter 25: Prosecution

"That was massively stupid," Layton Harper commented as he escorted Turner Davis from the police station. "Our entire defense is based on you being surprised to discover that you had been tricked by Josh Stevens and reacting to the situtation. Assaulting him in a food court is not going to help us."

"I wasn't thinking," Turner muttered.

"That's certainly obvious. Look, Mrs. St. Laurant is paying my retainer, but I'm not going to continue this case if you can't control yourself. As it is, I'm going to have to figure out a way to mitigate this incident because James Draper is going to be all over it."

"How can it be admissable?"

"It goes to motive and casts doubt on your story. So, let me make this clear: you stay away from Josh Stevens and anything related to him. Understand?"

Turner nodded.

*****

"Tell us, in your own words, what happened," James Draper instructed Sue after she had been sworn in.

Sue explained the events of that evening in the club as Layton Harper scribbled notes.

"Did Melissa Stevens ever make any claims about her gender to the defendant?" James asked.

"Objection!" Layton Harper called out. "Joshua Stevens," he stressed, "is a boy. My esteemed colleague is confusing the with name and pronoun changes."

"Your honor," James responded. "Melissa has legally changed her name and is currently in her real life test. It is generally considered courteous to address her appropriately."

"Overruled," the Judge decided.

"If you could answer the question, Sue?"

"No sir. Melissa made no such claim."

"How long after the first encounter did the confrontation outside take place?"

"A couple of hours, at least," Sue told him.

"When you were leaving?"

"Yes sir, we were tired of being glared at by Turner."

"The defendant was glaring at you?" James asked.

"All evening sir."

*****

"You claim that Joshua Stevens never claimed to be a girl?" Layton asked.

Sue glared at him. "Melissa didn't say anything of the sort," she said.

"Melissa is Joshua Stevens?"

"Objection," James called out. "Your Honor, we've already established Melissa's circumstances."

"Agreed," the Judge commented. "Counsellor, I suggest that you avoid grandstanding tactics in my courtroom."

"Your Honor, the termonology is prejudicial to my client," Layton protested. "At the time of the alleged incident, Melissa Stevens was Joshua Stevens. I'm merely working from that period of time."

"I'll allow the name, let the record show that references to either Melissa or Joshua Stevens mean the same person."

"Did anyone at the table claim that Joshua was a girl?" Layton asked Sue after favoring James Draper with a tight smile.

"Uh," Sue hesitated.

"Answer the question please," Layton instructed.

"Well, Lisa claimed that she didn't have a brother, just a sister."

"I see. So Lisa attempted to fool people into thinking Joshua was a girl?"

"No!"

"You just explained that Lisa claimed Joshua as a sister. Joshua is a boy, so that implies that she was attempting to fool people. Don't you agree?"

"Objection! The counsellor is leading the witness," James stated.

"Your Honor, I'm merely trying to establish the circumstances of the encounter."

"Objection overruled, the witness will answer the question," the Judge instructed.

"Don't you agree?" Layton reiterated.

"No, I do not. Melissa is a girl and we were minding our own business."

"Your Honor!"

"What's the problem counsellor?" the Judge asked.

"The witness is not answering the question," Layton stated.

"I believe she stated that she did not agree."

"She insists that Joshua Stevens is a girl."

"I believe we have established that, yes."

Layton sighed. "No further questions, Your Honor."

*****

"Ms. Stevens, why did you refer to Joshua as your sister in the club?" Layton asked.

"Melissa is my sister," Lisa insisted.

"He is, genetically speaking, a male correct?"

"Objection!"

"It's a simple question," Layton insisted.

"Your Honor, Lisa Stevens is not a qualified doctor or geneticist, she's hardly in a position to comment on the genetic condition of Melissa Stevens."

"Sustained. Rephrase your question counsellor," the Judge instructed.

"Joshua's body is anatomically male, correct?" Layton continued after a small pause.

"So?" Lisa responded.

"Answer the question."

"Yes."

"So, you attempted to deceive Turner Davis into believing Joshua was anatomically female did you not?"

"No."

"Logically, by referring to Joshua as your sister you were implying that he was anatomically female. Is this not the case?"

"As I said," Lisa insisted, "no it is not. Just because Melissa isn't complete, doesn't make her any less my sister. Being a woman is more than just the sum of our parts. Or do you think a woman with a hysterectomy isn't a woman?"

"Your Honor," Layton protested. "I want that last answer stricken from the record."

The Judge shook his head. "I don't think so counsellor. While gender, itself, isn't on trial here, Ms. Stevens has raised a valid point."

Chapter 26: Lessons in Hate

"Reverend Barrons," the reporter called out. "May we have a moment of your time?"

"Certainly," Reverend Barrons smiled as he stepped away from the small protest circling in front of the courthouse.

"Reverend," the reporter asked. "Why are you staging this protest today?"

The Reverend drew himself up. "We're here today to help prevent a travesty of justice from being carried out. A young man is falsely accused of a crime having been led on by the wicked machinations of Satan marching in the guise of another."

"I assume you mean Melissa Stevens?"

"Joshua Stevens," the Reverend stressed, "is being led astray by Satan. He is prancing about in the guise of a girl in order to tempt and corrupt the innocent. We're here to prevent that and, with God's help, return Joshua to His light."

"By the innocent, you're referring to Turner Davis?"

"A fine, upstanding, young man."

"Are you certain of this, sir?" the reporter questioned.

"Indeed. Young Mr. Davis is an excellant example of a god-fearing child seeking his way in the world."

"Reverend Barrons, have you done a background check on Turner Davis?"

"What do you mean?" the Reverend sputtered.

"He's been arrested several times for possession of alcohol, assault, and various vandalism attempts. Are you certain that you're defending the right person?"

"Joshua Stevens is an abomination before God! He will be consigned to Hell to burn in the eternal fires of damnation unless he relents this blasphemy and returns to the bosom of the Christ eternal!"

"Indeed," the reporter commented. "Thank you for your time, Reverend."

*****

Denise Stevens winced as she heard the thunderous declaration of the self-styled Reverend and retreated back inside the entrance to the courthouse. No matter which way she turned, she saw people trying to cast her child as something wrong, something perverted. Tears streamed down her face as she fled to the closest bathroom.

*****

"Wow," Arlene commented as she stepped up to the sink. "That Draper character is better than I expected."

Martina laughed. "Don't believe everything you see in the movies," she commented. "The District Attorney is usually pretty smart or he wouldn't have gotten to that position."

"Yeah, well, if he keeps it up, he's going to end up having the court rule that the little queen is a woman!"

"No, but it doesn't matter anyways. The twerp is ruined 'cause this is all over the press. That psycho Reverend my mother adores is playing it up outside as well. By the time all of this is done, the punk won't be able to show his effiminate face in this town."

Arlene laughed as she dried her hands. "What about Turner?"

"Who cares?" Marty shrugged. "Two-for-one if they convict him in my books."

*****

Denise Stevens felt her heart shatter as she heard the two women in the bathroom. "So much hate," she silently cried to herself. "My child would never hurt any of them, why do they hate her?"

Denise sat up suddenly, registering what she had just said to herself. "Do I mean it?" she whispered.

Chapter 27: Lessons in Love

The small collection of protestors looked down the street in unison as the sounds of chanting reached their ears. A much larger group approached, bearing signs proclaiming support for Melissa Stevens. At the front marched Steve Jones, bearing a sign that stated "God is Love and He loves Melissa too."

"Satan marshalls his forces," Andrea shouted as the group tried to increase the volume of their chant.

Reverend Barrons stepped in front of Steve as his group approached the steps of the courthouse. The reporters in the area quickly started rolling their cameras, anticipating a confrontation. "How dare you!" Reverend Barrons thundered.

Steve merely smiled and raised his eyebrows.

"You seek the wrath of God by daring to support that child of Satan!" The Reverend continued.

"My God does not teach a message of hate," Steve replied.

"You dare to instruct me? A mere child?"

"Out of the mouths of babes," Steve grinned.

"This child is misguided," the Reverend proclaimed. "God has made us in his image and to dare to change that image is a mortal sin against His will and His plan for us. Repent your blasphemy here child and God will forgive you."

"No, thanks anyways. As I said, my God does not preach hate, you do. Perhaps it is you who should be repenting."

"How dare you!?" Andrea hissed, coming to the side of the Reverend. "Reverend Barrons is a god-fearing, righteous, man and you are an open sinner!"

Denise stepped back outside the courtroom and her eyes were also drawn to Steve and the sign he carried on his shoulder. She hesitated before making her way to the confrontation in time to hear Steve say, "You need to find a different faith lady if the only reason you behave is that you fear. Some of us do the right thing because we want to."

"I won't take such filth from someone who lies with other men!" Andrea shouted and stepped forward to slap him. Steve merely shifted with the blow, his smile never changing.

"Touch that child again," Denise said as she interposed herself between Steve and Andrea, "and I'll make certain that you're charged with assault."

"The mother of the viper," the Reverend hissed.

Denise pulled herself to her full height. "Proudly so," she stated. "I want to thank you for that, Reverend."

"What?" the Reverend responded, taken aback.

"It wasn't until today that my eyes opened to the vitriol of hate you've spewed against my child. My sweet, wonderful, child who would never harm you or anyone else. My child that never did anything to deserve this and, despite it all, has carried herself with more pride and dignity than either of you could ever hope to manage."

Chapter 28: Reunited

"Wow, did I just see what I think I saw?" Melissa asked as the news segment just ended.

"Indeed," Judy smiled. "I must admit that it surprised me as well."

"Should I call her?"

"I think so," Judy agreed.

*****

"Mom, I'm proud of you," Lisa said.

Denise just smiled wanly. "It's too late, I think. I was being such an idiot and I couldn't see it," she told her daughter. The phone rang.

"I don't think it's too late," Lisa commented as she looked at the phone.

"Hello?" Denise answered.

"Mom?"

"Oh baby, I'm so sorry," Denise cried. "I never realized how wrong I was until today."

"It's alright Mom, I forgive you," Melissa told her. "I love you."

"I love you too, Melissa," Denise told her without hesitation.

"Melissa? You mean that?"

"Yes I do. I won't stand in your way honey. I wish more women had your grace and dignity, myself included."

"Oh Mom," Melissa replied as she started crying.

*****

"So, are you going home?" Judy asked as she gently wiped Melissa tears away.

Melissa nodded and smiled.

"I'm going to miss having you here," Judy told her with a smile. "However, I think it is important for you and your Mom to reconcile. My door is always open, you know that? I want you to keep your key. Come when you need to, as a refuge when it gets a little tough. Okay? Promise me."

"I promise," Melissa swore. "I can't begin to thank you enough for what you've done for me."

"Hush. I think we both benefitted."

*****

"Welcome home," Lisa greeted Melissa as she struggled with the suitcase. "It's a good thing Mom cleaned out your closet!"

"She what?"

"The uniform was the first down the chute."

Melissa smiled and then started crying again.

"Come on, Mom is taking us out to dinner tonight. We have to get ready and you still have to unpack. Wait until you see the dresses she bought us."

"She what?"

"You have to stop saying that," Lisa grinned.

"I guess I'm still a little shocked," Melissa admitted.

*****

"You both look lovely," Denise commented. "I'm going to feel old and haggard beside you."

"Nonsense," Melissa grinned as she took her mother's arm and guided her to the front door of the restaurant. They'd both shed a few tears earlier when Denise arrived home, costing Melissa more time in front of the mirror to repair the makeup job. "Where do you think Lisa and I get our gorgeous looks?"

Denise laughed as they entered.

*****

"Your boyfriend is really something," Denise commented as they sipped on coffee after the meal. "He reminds me of your father. Strong, determined, and always a gentleman. He's also pretty hot."

"Mother!" Melissa blushed. Lisa and Denise laughed.

All three looked at each other for a long moment before Lisa turned away, her eyes moistening.

"Lisa, what's wrong?" Denise asked.

"It's nothing," Lisa muttered.

"Tell her Lisa," Melissa demanded.

"No!"

"Tell me what?" Denise asked.

"If you don't, I will!"

"No!"

Melissa gave Lisa a hard stare before turning back to Denise. "Lisa's gay," she stated quietly.

"I know," Denise nodded.

"What?" Melissa and Lisa said that the same time.

"I've known for a long time," Denise told them. "I think that's part of the reason that I resisted Melissa so much. I knew that you couldn't change being gay, but I thought that if I stopped Melissa from transitioning, then I would still have a chance for grandchildren."

"Oh Mom," Lisa cried. "I still want children."

"How? It does take a man, even now," Denise responded. "It doesn't matter though. It took a long time, but I realized that you two are the most important people in the world to me and so I still have a lot to cherish. I don't think I could have raised either of you any better, nobody could have. You both make me proud."

All three started crying then. When they finally stopped, Lisa grinned at her mother. "There's still the turkey baster if I want to get pregnant," she commented, causing all three to start laughing as the other two took swats at her.


 

The End
up
232 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Secret Lives

Wow, this was wonderful. You have wonderful skills. You should be proud.

Gwenellen

Secret Lives

Joanne
What a wonderfull story so far. When can we expect more chapters?

Brought tears, Absolutely Womderful!

Whew...I am late...So I'll try to make this short and sweet.

I just read this Wonderful story about a girl named Melissa. I was so taken by this story that I cried, a thing I no longer often do, on account of peers and predujices. I absolutely can relate to many of the topics touched upon, as so many of them in some way relate to my own life. I am a High school student and well know the pressures of fittting in with the common gender identity role in that setting. I thought you captured the essence of the problems faced in this period well, and I thank you for the amazing story.

As for the subject of you continuing the story, I too am torn. I'd like to see the ending of the trial but not if it is a detriment to the fabric of the already great story. So to be blunt, finish it if you can, please, but don't try if you don't think you can.

As I said, though, it is an amazing story and once again I thank you for it. Good luck in all of your endeavors, and I hope to see more heart-warming stories like this.

sincerely yours,
-Anthony "Annabell" Myers-
-Pixie Perfect-

-Pixie Perfect-

Good one.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Nice story.
Was there a follow up somewhere?

>i< ..:::

That was nice

Alice-s's picture

I had fun reading this one. Good work

Beautiful story

Well written, I had to finish the whole thing in one go.
Loved the bit about the "turkey baster".

Loved your story

Joanne, I just read your wonderful story about Melissa and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I hope it is continued so we can all see how Melissa, Lisa, their Mother Denise and all the other characters in the story turn out. Please continue it since the trial is still on going.
TA for now, Janice Lynn

Great story

I am deeply touched by this story. Now I am going to read your other stories.

ReubyLouise

What a Story so FAR

Joanne: This story is great and can hardly wait for the next chapters that you say are coming!

As was said by another person: "Thank you for sharing your tremendous talent with those of us who are less gifted. It must be great to be able to write these stories. I've tried and failed miserably. But I can enjoy reading them!

Thanks! Richard

Richard

...

First, I want it to be known that I was brought here by The Princess and the Plague, the author placed the titles of a bunch of stories in bold in one of the chapters, and it led me here. I am so glad I decided to look this up because I enjoyed the story, as short-lived as it was. I literally read it all in a day. It is for that reason alone that I am not giving a perfect rating. Other than that, this story was amazing and could not have been better written. 4 out 5 for Secret Lives.

Beautiful, just beautiful.

Beautiful, just beautiful. This masterpice shows the true duality of being here; both love and hate, being male and female, Gay or straight. It is all wrapped up in this work of art that you have given us the chance to read. Keep up the awesome lititary brillance. Giggle... giggle

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in true friendship

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Secret Lives

Well, this will be the third time I've commented on this chapter, but you know, it's as good the third (or fourth, or whatever) time as it was the first. Great story, well told, Joanne!

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Thank you Joanne for a

Pamreed's picture

Thank you Joanne for a delightful story!!! I know that there was a lot of hate expressed, but a lot more love came out!!
I guess I am living a fantasy of what my early life could have been by reading stories like this!! But i have been lucky enough to finally live my life as my true self (as Milly Brown told me)!! Yes I was fortunate to have had Milly as one of my therapists during my early transition.

Hugs,
Pamela

"how many cares one loses when one decides not to be
something, but someone" Coco Chanel

Thanks!

I always seem to leave the same comment on the stories: thank you for sharing your tremendous talent with those of us who are less gifted. It must be great to be able to write these stories. I've tried and failed miserably. But I can enjoy reading them!

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

I truly loved the story

Did I need to bookmark and so I can find it again thank you for sharing!

Worth waiting for, but ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... I hope this is not the last chapter! I'd like to see the loose ends tied up. Get Turner AND his mother into jail - Turner into a cell with a 350 pound 6'6" bubba with a drawer full of pretty panties just waiting for ... well, just waiting for an ass. :-)

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

It's not over!

Thanks Jezzi! It's not over, just slower going than I wanted. I think it's probably as painful for me as much as the people reading it to take so long, but it's getting there.

That's good news, Joanne!

After seeing Jezzi's comment last night, I went back and reread this great story. I enjoyed it the second time as much as I did the first time I read it, and I'm glad there will be more.

As for the length of time you are taking, don't feel like the only one. I'm seriously behind where I want to be with my Kari story, but it's not coming smoothly at all, so I know how you feel. Rest assurred, we will be properly excited when you get the next chapter done.

Karen J.

"A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."
Francoise Sagan


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Reconcile

I`m glad to see Melissa, Lisa,and Denise reconcile there differences.
Hope to see many more chapters.

Secret Lives

Joanne
I love the conclusion of this wonderful story. I read the rest of it on your web site. I guess I was one of those who were "patiently waiting without a word of complaint." I love happy endings and am pleased that you got Malissa and her mother back together.

I thought it interesting that in your story you used "Dr Patel." And Karen Page used the same "Dr Patel" in part 6 of A new style of Education. Can I assume that you know each other. giggle giggle

Excelent wrighting. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Hugs & Giggles to all
Penny

Dr. Patel's my eye doctor...

Hmm. I wonder! Anyways, I'm not quite at the conclusion yet Penny, just about though. I have the ending pictured, but I don't want to spoil it. :)

An Eye doctor

That really good, I guess that's what they call diversification, Optometry and Psycology (sorry I can't spell) giggle giggle

Hugs & Giggles to all
Penny

Thanks

Thanks! Just......... Thanks!

Joanne wunda bar

Part 6 was definately worth the wait. I'll definately be looking for Part 7.

*HUGS*
Robi

*HUGS*
Robi

Thank you!

I guess I came in at the right time! This is a wonderful story, and I love the way things are turning out. Now, there are just some loose ends to be tied up, or maybe bound and gagged! You've made it onto my special "favorites" list, and I'll be anxiously waiting and looking for more.

Virtual Hugs!
Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

All I got to say is great sto

All I got to say is great story and please keep writing such wonderful work.

Perhaps it should be over

I don't usually comment on incomplete stories but I have a tendency to persuade writers to accept when a satisfactory conclusion has been reached. I think that's the case here. Of course there are a few loose ends, but in what we laughingly call real life there are always loose ends. Even a wedding isn't the end of a story; hopefully it's also a beginning, but other aspects of life are still unfinished.

I've just read the whole thing in one go and thoroughly enjoyed it. Stories about teenagers don't usually appeal, but the way you've vividly brought to life Melissa's fight for her identity, particularly with her mother, makes for addictive reading. A criticism might be that the juxtapostion of the gay boyfriend and Lisa's admitting to be gay as well is perhaps a little forced and trite when taken with Melissa's gender dysphoria, but it's only a small one.

Another little thought. Isn't Lisa one contraction of Mellisa? If so, that means both twins have the same name.

thanks a lot for an enjoyable evening's read

Geoff

In many ways, you're probably right

I've thought of that, actually. Most of the remaining ideas are really just filling in the post-mortem gaps, as it were. I don't know, I'm torn a little on the subject.

The focal point of the story is complete, I think that is pretty obvious and it's backed up by some of the comments. I won't continue for the sake of continuing, so if the ideas don't really add to the story, I won't do it. I do have other projects on the go afterall... :o)

Discovering a great story

I've been going back in time and finding a lot of terrific stories I missed. This was one of them. Some felt it wasn't complete but then no story ever is and it appears that the author agreed. As the central part of the story revolved around Melissa and her mother the resolution of that means the story achieved its goal. The rest as one commenter said is life.

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs