Dark Mood

Printer-friendly version

Dark Mood
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney


The end of the barrel was cool against his temple. That seemed odd, somehow. It was supposed to be hot... so torridly igneous it would sizzle upon the unprotected skin. His gaze locked onto something in the nonexistent distance, unfocused and unblinking.

For countless eons, he was a petrified redwood, waiting. Nothing of his being was able to even twitch, yet in his Phantasia the effort put forth striving to raise the courage was truly a task that would tax reserves for entire cities.

A hard swallow made the long journey down his esophagus, and from his eyes brave pathfinders broke trail across his cheekbones and down to the precipice of his chin.

They say your life flashes before your eyes, when you know you're about to die. But this was more like a meandering, and it wasn't everything, just... some.

A four-year old boy, proudly waiting for Daddy to get home from work, so he can show him. He had spent all afternoon in big sister's room, getting the pretty lace set just right. Daddy's home, yay! Hoping he likes his pretty dress! He was so pretty! Daddy had to love it! But Daddy doesn't look happy, and he's taking a breath like he does before he yells at naughty children...

A quiet, inexorable sob escapes his throat at the fusion of shame burning through, beginning behind his eyes and blooming like a slowly unfurling blossom at this first memory, even as his synaptic soldiers march inexorably on to the next. His hand trembles with the weight it bears, but he holds himself steady as he witnesses the events unfold in his mind, waiting to see if there is anything that may convince even him that it would be worth putting that weight aside.

A seven-year old boy, standing in the living room, with his head hung, wanting to explain to his Dad that he does respect him. That he loves him more than anything in the world. That he just can't help himself, and anyway he wore socks so no one else'd know his toenails were painted, anyway! -- The look of disappointment is worse than any grounding or beating he could have had delivered upon him...

The haunted disappointment that resided behind those sharp, cold blue eyes that day -- without any visible changes, the stream brimming from his wide open eyes increases in flow to a near river and there are spasms upon the hand-carved oaken handle resting its smoothness within his palm. His breath, slow and even... instead of ragged, quick draws as one would expect.

An eleven-year old boy holding his breath, as his Dad's uniform boots stood centimeters from his face, and the quiet static that was interspersed with the voice of his auntie dispatching here and there around the city. He can't let himself be caught. He had promised never to do this again, and the only punishment more severe than disobeying was lying. This was lying about disobeying. He began to relax as the boots took a step away, but then the shadow darkened, as the officer bent to examine under the bed...

A throb in the leg that still had a limp from -- from... from the response that Dad had that day. But he knew Dad loved him, right? He knew, Right?

A sixteen-year old boy, thanking whatever deities might be possibly real that it was Hallowe'en. He sat in the indecently short skirt, with the fashionably torn tights, along with the rest of the outfit. He had known he looked hot, hot enough to get any boy -- and some of the more interesting girls -- bothered for him. The calf-length, stiletto-heeled boots had been the perfect complement. But here he just wished he could find the courage to vomit, but that would take him across the cell too close to the three large men ogling his not-quite factual curves. Aunty had tried to talk the Sergeant into not putting him in with the rest of the men arrested that night, but the fat old man had just laughed and said he would be fine until Dad got there. And now, he could hear his father's raised voice coming from down the locked up hallway...

At least that time, Dad had jumped on the explanation to save face that it was a High School Hallowe'en prank. Though the furious look on his face as he stood and waited for those leering men to finish what they were doing was still frightening to think about... better than thinking about what they were doing, but frightening, itself.

A twenty-two year old boy -- yes, still a boy, for you couldn't call him a man. He sat in his best dress, a ballgown made in a modern twist on the Victorian Era, and his love of boots had gotten him to purchase a pair that matched. His jewelry, his makeup, even his nails were all perfect as they caressed the short barrel of the gun. All of this went through his head so fast. He could leave. Abuse is abuse, the police would be there for him, wouldn't they? Maybe Aunty would. A great sob shook her shoulders as she pressed the tip against her temple again. As her finger toyed with the idea of not-squeezing, the door opened without a sound and there stood her father, still in his patrol uniform. His eyes burning with a hatred that couldn't be for his son daughter. Fathers love their sons daughters. He opened his mouth and spoke, "For once in your life, be a man and just do it..."

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

i get where you're trying to go here

rebecca.a's picture

and i read the disclaimers in the tags.

it's just not something i was ready to read today. maybe we're having similar issues. this should come with a "this will really fuck you up" tag instead.

anyway, guess i should really have paid more attention to the tags. but why post something, if you don't want people to read it?

i hope you're hanging in there.


not as think as i smart i am

Dark? Try REALLY dark

Daddy's an arsehole.

I really hope that this is not a reflection of how you find yourself.

Really big hugs

NB

Jessica
I don't just look it, I'm totally evil - when I'm not being nice

things

the things we remember when all hope fades at the end, then a final push

A bit dark, but a well told tale.

Good job that was not around a few weeks ago, as I was in a dark place myself. I hope for your sake that this is not autobiographical though.

Take care and be happy - Jay

That which does not kill me only serves to delay the inevitable. My blog => http://jaym.angelblogs.co.uk/

That which does not kill me only serves to delay the inevitable. My blog => http://jaynemorose.wordpress.com/ <= note new address

Dark at the end of the tunnel

Well done short short--of the bleak variety. It's like speeding down an unlit tunnel too brief for the eyes to adjust to the gloom. Not all tunnels come out into the light once more. Sometimes the dark is all that is left, when we've reached the end.

I hope that isn't the case for you, Edeyn. It doesn't have to be. Because, when you are at the end and can see nothing at all...you just have to turn around to see the light. It was there all the time. Just had to look for it. No one can force you to stand there in front of the cold, dark rock at the end of the tunnel. And they can never, ever pull that trigger for you.

I'd like to see another short short from you, Edeyn, this one of the gloriously bright and beautiful variety. Just turn yourself around...and look.

SuZie

Re: Dark Mood

I 'enjoyed' your tale. A poet once wrote that 'nobody gets out alive'. We all need to be reminded that some of those among us feel trapped and isolated and in need of another's kind words, or thoughts, or touch.

May We All Find Inner Peace,

Kelly

YUK!

Pretty effective writing. A really dark cameo. Read other peoples' comments, and would like to point out that the one thing wrong with going through life as an optimist is that you are going to be disappointed all the time, and the one and only good thing about being a pessimist is that life is going to keep surprising you with nice things you never expected to happen. If you can just hang on and not give up.

Briar

Briar

pitch black

laika's picture

There have been plenty of times this year when I couldn't have read this without spiralling into a really bad place (THANK YOU for the adequate tags here! They're so important!), but luckily today wasn't one of them. This is powerful and well done. My first instantaneous reaction was one of such outrage that I hoped there was more than one bullet in the chamber, because Pigfucker Daddy REALLY needed to die! But a second later I came to hope that he would not give PFD the satisfaction, that he would decide not to do it if for no better reason than it's what the despicable man wanted. I've reacted like this when I was on a bridge, all weird and depressed and staring numbly at all that space below me (this was years ago, I'm okay, really!), and some heartless comedian in a passing car yelled "JUMP!". My contrary nature suddenly made jumping the last thing I wanted to do. How much more gratifying for your hero(ine) to embrace a life that will bring her hapiness and hopefully give PFD a stroke! (And this is me in a good place...).

~~~love, it's great to see a new story by you
~~~(even one as bleak as this) and hope Courtney's Diary
~~~will be back gracing the pages of BCTS one of these days, LAIKA