Providence - Part 2

Printer-friendly version
Providence - Beginnings
Providence - Beginnings
Part 2
by Andrea DiMaggio

There’s a suburb of the greater West Chester/Philadelphia area; you may have a similar town near where you live.

It’s called — Providence


 
 

Part Two - Growing Friendship

“Hey, Mrs. M. Good morning.” April walked into the shop with a small package as Diane was opening a box of plastic hangers. “Have a good time Sunday?” April had some friends and family over the past weekend.

“I had a great time, sweetie. Thanks for having me and Lainey over.” She put the box on the counter and walked up to April to give her a hug. UPS drivers usually don’t get hugs, at least on the job, but Diane wanted to talk with April, and she figured it would be easier to take what she had to say with a hug.

“You seemed a little…nervous when we left. Is everything okay?” April was a “lot” nervous when they left; so much so that she tried to shake Lainey’s hand and Lainey tried to hug her and they ended in a very awkward half-embrace. You’ve probably done that yourself; I know I have.

April blew out a breath and looked away, trying to come up with a fib. She was never good at lying, which is actually a good thing, but she wished she could lie to Diane. “Do you think anyone else picked up on that?” She asked, hoping that the answer was no, which it wasn’t.

“Sweetie, everybody picked up on it. I’m surprised that Channel Six didn’t have a report Sunday night,” she teased. “I think the bright red on your face gave it away.”

“You know me, Mrs. M. I’ll let someone I know…like you…to hug me, but I never hug anybody, and I never gave anybody a kiss on the cheek.” She wasn’t “only” a tomboy; she liked girly stuff just as much as anyone, although she’d never admit it. And the girly stuff would never get in the way of softball or volleyball. But this was different. Even when she was with her girlfriend Terry, she never, ever showed a display of affection in public. And she really didn’t mind how she felt when she kissed Lainey, even if it was only a kiss on the cheek; it’s just that the kiss was totally out-of-the-blue, like they say. And the kiss was entirely nice; she felt something that she hadn’t felt in a long time. She was attracted to Lainey, and it confused her. She was under the impression that since she was attracted to girls, it made no sense to be attracted to a boy who wanted to be a girl, or at least lived like one. She was under the same poor impression that she “had” to feel one way or another. And the rejection by her parents, although now forgiven and healed, still left her with a fear that whatever choice she made about her life would be wrong.

________________________________________

 

“Apart from your obvious embarrassment, I don’t think anyone would have taken notice of it.” Diane wasn’t saying this to criticize, only to reassure April that there was nothing wrong with being attracted to Lainey. In fact, it was probably a good thing, since Diane believed that both girls were sweet and caring, and actually had something in common, save for the “real” girl’s interest in sports and the “wannabe’s” interest in dresses and collecting dolls (Yes.) Please excuse the labels, since they’re just a way to contrast — they’re both girls after all.

Diane reached over and gave April another hug and kissed her on her neck, like a blessing. April tried to pull away, but Diane would have none of that. She held her tight and hugged her anyway.

“Sweetheart, I’ve been through a lot, and I know that life’s too short to live your life to satisfy someone else’s expectations. I know I had to find that out for myself. Stop by for dinner after work and we can talk more. Lainey’s going to be at the shop this evening, so we’ll have some alone time. I think I need to tell you a story that might help you discover what you really want.

________________________________________

 

Diane had not really lied to April. Lainey did work that evening, but closed early at Diane’s request. “Girl’s night in,” Diane had told her. Lainey closed up the shop at seven after a fairly busy afternoon. A nice lady from Havertown bought some blouses and a dark green mid-length skirt. She had a good time talking to Mrs. Giordano, a sweet grandma who Lainey knew from her old neighborhood. Some of you may know that Mrs. G. is eighty-five, but doesn’t look a day over seventy. Lainey loved to sing, and she got to sing to herself when she was alone in the store. She had a sweet voice; she was always disappointed that it was more in the alto/tenor range, but that’s what God blessed her with, so she tried to be thankful as she sang. She drove home with anticipation; Diane had said that dinner would be waiting, and she was hungry; her appetite had returned when her migraines finally abated, and she was feeling better about herself. She paused as she locked the door to the shop and wondered what April was doing right about now. She found herself thinking about April a lot, and she corrected herself almost every time for something that was really innocent and rather nice.

________________________________________

 

April sat at the kitchen table as Diane prepared dinner. Fried flounder with potatoes and sautéed’ green beans. Some might think that too hearty a meal for two (actually three) women, but there I go with stereotypes again. And neither girl knew that Diane was serving some sound advice along with desert. April was just taking a gulp of her Diet Pepsi when Lainey walked in. Both girls were surprised, as you might expect, since Diane hadn’t told either of them that they both would be having dinner together. Lainey’s Sicilian heritage did nothing for her this night, and she blushed red enough to be noticed. And as you might expect, April made Lainey look pale in comparison. Diane looked at both girls and said,

“Oh, did I forget to tell you?” She said this as she moved her gaze back and forth between the two, trying very hard to suppress a laugh. “I hope you both like chocolate chip mint ice cream.”

________________________________________

 

Dinner was uncomfortable for both Lainey and April, despite the excellent food and bright and witty conversation, mostly from Diane. April was about to thank Diane for the meal and go home, and Lainey was about to ask to be excuse. Diane looked at them as they each eyed their respective “escape” routes.

“Don’t even think of leaving, young lady,” she said and actually grabbed Lainey’s hand. “And where do you think you’re going, my dear?” as April got up from the table. She grabbed April’s hand and then led both of them into the dining room and sat them both down at the table opposite each other. A photo album lay open on the table. “Coffee or tea, ladies?”

________________________________________

 

April kept looking at her watch, as if she had somewhere else she had to be. She wanted to be somewhere else rather than sit across from the girl she was becoming awkwardly attracted to. Lainey kept looking at the clock on the wall, like Cinderella waiting for the stroke of twelve. Diane grabbed each girl’s hand and said,

“I wanted to show you something. You know, there’s no better thing in the world than friendship.” She pointed to a photo of two girls, about sixteen or so, sitting on a bench at the Philadelphia Zoo in front of a huge cage of exotic birds. Both girls were smiling as if they’d never grow any older. “We spent the day there; we skipped class and caught holy hell the next day.” She laughed at her rare profanity and pointed to another picture. The same girls were sitting on a big rock by a lake, holding hands. Now girls hold hands from time to time; maybe if they’re scared at the movies or if they’re doing something silly. The two girls in the picture, however, were holding hands because they were in love.

“Ronni was a year younger than me, but she was so much more confident and sure about herself. It was the day before my sixteenth birthday and I had just found out that I was pregnant.” April looked at Diane and grabbed her hand. Lainey actually said, “Ooh,” like you hear when girls watch a romantic movie.

“I didn’t think I could handle it; I would never have done anything…I wanted to keep the baby, but I was so scared. Ronni told me everything would be okay, and I just knew it would be.” Diane had tears in her eyes, but they weren’t from sadness. She pointed to a family photo newly adorning her dining room wall. Diane was holding a cute toddler with lovely Asian features. Her son-in-law was leaning over as he kissed her cheek. Erica was on the other side doing the same.

“My granddaughter and her parents.” She pointed to a photo in the album of Erica and continued,

“Ronni was right; everything did turn out okay, for the most part. Erica’s my sweet baby; she still calls me “Mommy,” you know. I don’t know how we would have gotten along…oh; we never would have had to worry. I loved her father very much, and we got married just after he graduated. (Some of you may already know Diane’s story. For those who don’t, the long version is over in “Another Secret, but the short version follows)

“Ronni was my best friend; probably the best friend a girl could ever have. I still miss her to this day,” Diane said as she blinked back tears and continued.

“She died in Iraq when my husband David jumped on a grenade to save his platoon.” Lainey started crying, and she was joined by April, who felt embarrassed. She had made too many conclusions about what was right and what was wrong for her; again, dear readers, an observation, not a criticism. Diane leaned over and stroked April’s cheek. “That’s so sweet, honey,” she said as she wiped a tear with her hand. She squeezed Lainey’s arm and said,

“It’s okay, sweetheart, really it is.” She pointed to another photo, the last photo of her and David and Erica taken just before he had shipped out. “This is the last photo I have of Ronni and David together; I was so proud when they left, and even prouder when they came home. Their grave markers are next to each other.”

“I just see a little girl standing next to you and David, Mrs. M. Where’s Ronni?” April asked.

“Oh, she’s right there, if you look hard enough.” Diane said with a smile even as she cried just a little more. “They’re both there, just not how you’d expect. I’m sure you might have some pictures like this, Lainey?” We can forgive Lainey if she didn’t see it right then and there; she was a very smart girl, and she would have figured it out on her own if she hadn’t been weeping into Diane’s sleeve. But April said,

“Oh, God…Mrs. M!” She was surprised, but not shocked. She grabbed Lainey’s arm and pointed to the picture. A surprisingly forward act; since she still didn’t know Lainey that well and since she had decided never to touch Lainey again. Lainey looked up and wiped her tears with her sleeve. She gently touched the photo and pointed to David.

“Yes, honey. My sweet Ronni and my adorable David.” She blinked back a tear and continued. “Sweetheart. Please promise me you’ll always let someone love you, no matter what. Please promise me you’ll love someone, no matter what.” April thought that Diane was only talking to Lainey, but she looked straight at April and said,

“And that goes for you, too, young lady!”

________________________________________

 

Two very attractive but decidedly different women walked side by side up to the kangaroo exhibit at the Philadelphia Zoo; one a little older, very athletic, tall and blond; the other a little younger, sweet, and pretty and somewhat shorter. The sun was out in full force so they came prepared. The taller, older of the two wore a Phillies cap, which partially covered her blond hair, which was much longer than usual and pulled back in a pony tail, revealing the nice topaz studs in her newly pierced ears. She wore a nice silk teal halter and khaki shorts, which set off her athletic legs quite well. The shorter, younger girl wore a broad dark blue straw hat over gorgeous brown hair.

She wore a nice pink floral print midi-dress, which was just short enough to reveal the new tattoo on her right ankle; a fruit dove over a heart. The shorter girl held a guide to the exhibits in her left hand. The taller, older girl pointed to a wallaby that had hopped up to the edge of the fence. Her left hand was entwined in the other girl’s right hand.

“Ladies?” A voice came from behind. They turned and smiled as their best friend and “Mom” took their picture. Both girls put their heads together and smiled. The younger girl had not had much to smile about for a long time, and her companion was a welcome support and comfort. And the older girl had not allowed herself to smile much, but was enjoying the practice more and more each day.

“Oh, come on, you two, you can do better than that.” Diane snapped the picture just as the two kissed, much more than sisters. In fact, they kissed just like wife and husband, which they were, after all.

None of this should be a complete surprise, dear readers. The zoo, the store, the neighborhood? They might be located in the greater Philadelphia/West Chester area, but neighborhoods like these also exist everywhere you look; everywhere you turn; everywhere you may go. The supportive and loving and caring friend? Folks like her live everywhere . You see, they don’t just dwell in Pennsylvania. They all live in Providence — God’s providence.

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Two Hearts Beating

For each other. That is what true love is.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Wonderful!!!

Ole Ulfson's picture

Andrea,

"Lainey loved to sing." I love her already.

"promise me you'll love someone, no matter what." That's probably the best advice I ever heard!

Diane snapped the picture just as the two kissed, much more than sisters. In fact, they kissed just like wife and husband, which they were, after all.

'Nuf said,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!