Inspiration

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

Inspiration
by Saless

I shift from foot to foot as I wait in line. There must be a hundred people in front of me. The bookstore is hot from too many people and too little air conditioning. The people around me are talking about how much the author’s autograph will be worth. They all carry shiny new books that have never been read. I clutch my worn and faded book. I’m not here for an autograph.

The line moves slowly forwards as I think of what I’ll say. Should I say she inspires me? Should I say I love her work? Should I ask if her if she’d look at mine?

The air gets thicker as I crawl further into the store. My hands are sweaty and I almost drop my book. My nerves are tying my stomach into knots and making me dizzy.

The line suddenly shifts forward; someone must have gotten impatient. I nearly trip over the “Caution: Wet Floor” sign lying on the floor.

What was I thinking? Oh, yeah, what to say. Maybe I should tell her I’ve read every one of her books, or would that seem too ingratiating?

The line’s getting shorter; she’s only a few feet away. What will I say? I may never get another chance to talk to her. I’ve got to say something.

Suddenly I’m standing at the table, she’s only a couple feet away at the other side. She says hello and reaches across to take my book. My mouth moves, but no words come out. I numbly hand her my book and she signs it. She smiles and turns to the next person in line. “Coward!” I think, as I stumble out of the store.


This was the tenth assignment in a creative writing class I took several years ago. Can't for the life of me remember what the assignment was, though...

up
46 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sounds Like

What would happen if you met someone famous.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I'd like to think I'd hold

I'd like to think I'd hold it together better than that! ;) But then, I wouldn't be at a book signing to begin with, too many people!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I'm not impressed with famous people

but that doesn't mean some people I'm impressed with aren't a bit famous.

I was, just by happenstance, buying something in a shop in an arts centre a while back and I heard a really nice lick of a guitar solo. I said "who's that?" and as the man in the store told me, and I suddenly felt awaken within me a bubbling teenybopper I didn't know had ever existed. I slunk backstage as the soundcheck wound up and asked for his autograph!!

That same night I sat transfixed in the front row of one of the most impressive performances I've I've seen and heard.

By way of explaining the excessive use of exclamation marks the paragraph before last, I have to say that this is really unlike me, but I've heard it's been 20 years since this guitarist had played in this part of the country, though it's within range of his original home. He's usually gently playing to the LA crowd, 6,000 miles away.
But I won't say who it was, and most people, even in his native Yorkshire, would just say "who?" even if I did.

I think I've never reacted like that before.

I can relate very well to your scenario, Saless, because the awe isn't about fame, it's about talent and one's own raw yearnings to follow in someone's footsteps.

XX
AD

Well said, Alice! I'm not

Well said, Alice! I'm not too impressed with fame, either, but talent is another matter. I don't think I'd care too much if I met Stephen King (I'm not a fan of that kind of story). I'd probably have the strongest reaction to meeting one of my favorite authors from this site!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America