A Strange Attraction to Concrete Cows - Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version


A Strange Attraction to Concrete Cows

by Karen Page
Edited by Angel O'Hare

Chapter 6

As we started the meal Mum pre-empted any discussion, "I presume you both have questions? Let's eat first and then we can have a discussion after we've tidied up."

We both agreed and the meal was eaten in relative silence. Mum had cooked so Beth and I cleared the table and washed up. When we entered the lounge Mum had closed the curtains and had the coal effect gas fire burning. Karl Jenkins' Adiemus was quietly playing in the background. As usual she was sat in the single seat so she could watch Beth and my reactions. Beth and I dutifully sat either side of the three-seat settee.

Mum took a sip of her black decaffeinated coffee and looked across at us. "Sarah's and Anna's mothers rang this afternoon to make sure I'd got home okay. They both gave glowing reports on your behaviour. I even heard that you both attended church on Sunday. I'm proud of how you both behaved in this emergency."

Beth and I looked proudly at each other. No matter how old I got I always got a happy feeling when Mum was proud of me.

"How's Dad?" asked Beth before I'd got chance to open my mouth.

"Your father is getting better. He is more mobile than he was, though he probably will be off work for a week."

"But why?" I asked

"Why is anyone attacked without provocation?" responded Mum. "The police have arrested the attacker and because the knife pierced the skin they have charged him with grievous bodily harm. Yesterday there was a court hearing and the man has been remanded in custody."

"Why didn't you bring Dad back with you?" asked Beth. "We could have helped look after him."

"I tried but he was adamant about not breaking the decision about you not seeing him until you've left school."

"Or the circumstances change," interjected Beth

"I don't think they will," responded Mum, "and I think that is for the best."

It soon became apparent that Mum wasn't going to reveal anything more about Dad. No matter how much Beth and I pushed, Mum held her ground.

Mum brought our probing to an end with, "Don't you both have homework?"

As Christmas approached the amount of homework from school diminished. However practice for my impending music exam and pantomime performance kept me from getting bored. On top of that I was a member of the counties concert wind band and there was a concert just preceding Christmas. I just hoped that passing my oboe exam would help get me into the county youth orchestra.

***

The next day I saw Anna and Erika approaching on the way to school. As usual I left the house so they didn't need to knock. After exchanging pleasantries I expected Anna to interrogate me about the poem. However Anna, as she had a habit of doing, surprised me.

"How's your Dad?" she asked.

I was just about to defend myself about the poem when I realised what she'd asked. "Well, er, he's, er, on the mend. There is quite a bit of bruising on his chest which will take quite a while to fade. He required several stitches for a knife wound. At least he isn't bedridden anymore and can actually cook for himself."

"Why didn't your Mom bring him back?" asked Erika.

"She tried," I responded. "For some reason he refused. Apparently it's the same reason that Beth and I aren't allowed to see him; what ever that is. Have either of you two heard anything else?"

"Not a sausage," responded Anna.

Erika however was silent. Anna and I glanced across and saw the look on her face.

"Erika, what did you hear?" I prodded.

Reluctantly she said, "It's just something I overhead, I'm not sure if I heard it properly so I didn't want to say."

"It's okay Erika," said Anna slipping her arm around her friend. "We know that you don't gossip. We won't tell anybody that it was you that told us."

Erika thought for a moment obviously trying to resolve the conflict between gossiping and helping her friend. She sighed and reluctantly said, "Marcus, the person who beat up your Dad, has decided to plead not guilty. Apparently he feels that he was justified and wants this to go to a jury trial."

"First my Dad has a big fight with Mum and he transfers to Milton Keynes. Neither Mum nor Dad will explain why Dad has moved. Then Dad is beaten up and it appears to be over why he moved. I wish somebody would explain what my Dad is doing. I used to think he was having an affair but my Mum is still so much in love and he claims he still loves Mum. I just wish I knew what was going on."

"I wish we knew what was happening with your Dad but I haven't heard anything," responded Erika linking her arm with mine.

"Me neither. What ever it is, it isn't being discussed," said Anna linking arms with me on the other side.

Erika didn't really know my Dad but Anna did. So whatever my Dad was doing was being kept very quiet. The trouble with Dad probably kept Anna from questioning me about the German lesson.

The week progressed and the rehearsals got better. The art department had done a good job with the scenery which had now been completed. I'd practiced putting my own makeup on and was gradually getting better. So Beth only had to give advice on applying makeup and not having to apply it herself.

Mum had purchased tickets for the Friday night performance. Beth who would be helping me get ready (yeah right) had complementary tickets to one of the nights. She'd managed to arrange to sit next to Mum on the Friday performance. On the Saturday she'd been volunteered to help with the refreshments.

Soon it was late Friday afternoon, Beth and I was sitting at the bottom of the stairs waiting for Mum to finish getting ready. To save time and embarrassment I was already wearing a pair of panties. The bra was encasing my chest but without the cups being filled. I'd checked several times in the mirror to ensure that the outline of the bra and panties weren't visible under my jeans and thick winter jumper.

Since I was going to be in the play I had to be there early. I'd tried to persuade Mum to walk down later but she decided it would be nice to all go as a family. Erika and her parents were also going to go to tonight's performance. Anna and her parents were going tomorrow. I wonder if Dad will be attending a performance. I thought it would be best not to ask. Since visiting Dad, Mum appeared to be a lot better when Dad was mentioned. I decided I wouldn't mention it as there was no use tempting fate.

Mum came down the stairs already wearing her thick winter coat and said, "Shall we go?"

Beth and I stood and donned our coats and walked into the cold winter evening. There was a sharp biting northerly wind which drove the cold into my recently shaved legs. We waited as Mum locked the front door. The old saying "When the north wind doth blow, we shall have snow" came to mind. I looked up into the sky and there was no sign of the stars. It certainly felt cold enough for snow. I was glad when we were walking as it helped to keep warm.

We chatted quietly during the walk but as we approached the school Mum must have decided that she'd missed out on something.

"I was just thinking about the time that you came down to show the pantomime dress. I hope this doesn't offend you but I thought that you did very well."

"Thanks," was all I could reply. I was unsure what had got into Mum as she'd shown no previous inclination to say anything on the subject. I glanced at Beth for some sort of clue but she just gave a shrug.

"Would you like some extra help in getting ready?" Mum asked.

"I think I should be okay with just Beth's help. The room is very small," I replied trying to put Mum off without offending her. I didn't want her to see that I'd shaved my arms, legs and armpits.

Mum looked very disappointed, as she answered, "Oh, okay."

The back path into school, past the bike sheds, was unlit so we did the unusual thing and used the main entrance. There were already a few small groups of parents in the festively dressed entrance hall, some of which I recognised as parents of people taking part. Beth and I left Mum to browse samples of work from the art department while we went to get me ready.

As I was already wearing panties there was no need for Beth to avert her eyes. I carefully applied the makeup with Beth giving advice. I was gradually improving my makeup skill but I still found it slow going. Once I was ready Beth left to join Mum in the audience. I went to join the others in the main music classroom. Since my costume was the most complex I was the last of the cast to arrive.

"Ah, here he is," informed Mr Abbots.

I grinned sheepishly as I looked around. All the cast were there and the Home Economics teacher, Mrs Harries. She was there just in case something happened to one of the costumes that required a quick repair

"I always knew you were a sissy," said a voice whispering in my ear. I turned round to see Tom.

"Whose name did you actually pull out?" I asked in the same hushed tone.

"Yeah you were right. I didn't pull out your name. Actually I pulled out my own," he gloated, his voice starting to rise from a whisper. "I knew how much of a sissy you are so thought you should have the chance to show us all."

"So it was true," said a voice from behind Tom. Tom who had been preoccupied in teasing me hadn't heard his mother quietly walk across to find out what the whispering was about.

"Quiet everyone," ordered Mrs Harries to the cast. "Tom has a confession to make."

Tom looked like he was about to object.

"NOW!" thundered Mrs Harries, her blazing eyes full of passion.

"I...I...I didn't," he paused and looked at his mother.

"Carry on," she insisted.

"I didn't pull out Bill's name to play Widow Twanky," he mumbled his head lowered.

"Whose name did you pull out?" asked Mr Abbots walking towards the boy. The muttering in the room ceased as everyone waited to see what was going to happen next.

"My own," came the pitiful response.

The mutterings in the room started again as everybody wondered what was going to happen.

"Wait for me outside," instructed Mr Abbots rather harshly to Tom.

He then turned to me and quietly asked, "It appears that you shouldn't have played Widow Twanky. Since it is too late for Tom to learn the part will you continue?"

Wow, the teacher didn't have to do that, he could have just continued as it was. A room of earnest faces looked at me. If I said no then the pantomime would be cancelled. I didn't want to have wasted all that practice time so I knew I would do it. However I paused for a few seconds, revelling in the power. The room was still and appeared that everyone was holding their breaths.

"All right," I said trying to sound reluctant. "I'll do it."

They all relaxed and the general chatter of the room restarted. Mr Abbots left the room leaving us under the careful eye of Mrs Harries. A few moments later he was back, "Okay everyone, quiet please. People in the first seen please make your way quietly on stage. The headmaster will give, what I hope, is a five minute introduction and then it's up to you. You looked good in the rehearsals so go break a leg."

The audience appeared to love the pantomime and as in all pantomimes took an active part with shouts of "He's behind you" and the banter "Oh no I'm not / Oh yes you are". At the end there was a rapturous applause and the audience kept applauding that we had to make five curtain calls!

A few minutes after it had finished Beth came to help me get changed. With the wig, dress, bra and makeup removed I got dressed. Again I still had the panties on which did feel rather comfortable.

I took the dress to Mrs Harries for safe storage for tomorrow afternoons performance. "I'm so sorry for what Tom did," she apologised to me. "He will be punished."

"Well Tom has caused me a lot of grief because of this," I spat, my eyes sparkled with fury. "I've also missed a lot of lunchtime practice for my oboe exam. All your punishment will do is attempt to make Tom behave better. It won't give me the life I've lost or makeup for the teasing I've suffered."

Beth just stood there watching. She looked shocked that I would talk to a teacher like that. Mrs Harries also looked surprised at my venom.

"Come on Bill," said Beth taking me by my arm. "Let's go and find Mum."

As we walked toward the main entrance, which was the agreed meeting place, Beth asked, "What was all that about?"

"Are we still meeting up with Erika?" I asked. Beth just nodded. "Well let me tell you both at the same time."

Just inside the main entrance stood my mother and Erika with her parents. I knew Erika's Mum a little but Erika's father was always working and I'd only seen him abut three times.

"Hi," I said as I approached them.

"Oh that was so awesome," squealed Erika flinging her arms around and giving me a hug. I returned the hug and unconsciously squealed along. However, when I saw the look on my Mums face I forced myself to stop.

"Just like Julia," muttered Mrs Moore.

"Mom, who's Julia?" Erika asked her Mum.

"Oh, just a friend of ours," interrupted Mr Moore. "Wasn't the pantomime wonderful? I thought it would be just like a play but all the silly jokes was just somethin' else. And who would have thought that the English would create something so fun; I mean the banter between the cast and the audience was so...unexpected."

As we walked out of the entrance hall we were greeted by the cold wind biting into our faces. The parents went ahead while the two girls and I hung back so we could talk without them hearing.

"Dish the dirt," said Beth. "What was going on between you and Mrs Harries?"

"Tom decided to gloat about how I wasn't really the name he pulled out. Apparently he pulled out his own. He hadn't seen that his Mum was just behind him when he told me and she made him tell the whole class."

"Wow," said Erika. "How's he going to get punished?"

"I've no idea but I doubt much will happen. Tom's Dad will probably say that his son did the right thing by refusing to be the Dame. With school finishing on Tuesday, I doubt he will get punished much at school either."

As we approached home the first few flakes of snow started to fall. With the strong wind they felt more like ice so we quickly said goodbye to Erika. With the pantomime on Saturday and cooking on Sunday I doubted I'd see her before Monday.

The next day I awoke to a deep covering of snow. The oak tree at the bottom of the garden occasionally dropped a large chunk of snow as the wind rose and the branches started to sway. I sighed knowing what was to be done. Having dressed warmly I headed down stairs trailing just behind Beth, who was similarly attired.

"Good morning," greeting Mum as we walked into the kitchen. She looked at us both and continued, "You're dressed just right. After breakfast can you both clear the drive?"

The next two hours were spent clearing drive of snow. The sound of the spade scraping across the tarmac set my teeth on edge. When Mum said clear the drive we knew that she didn't mean just the drive but also the pavement in front of the house. When we were finished there was a nice pile of snow on the front lawn.

After lunch Beth and I walked down to the school. The cold had set the snow making any ground not cleared all crunchy.

"Are you ready for your oboe exam tomorrow?" she asked after a few moments silence.

"As ready as I'll ever be. At least it's at ten so the traffic shouldn't be too bad."

"How far is the testing centre?"

"Normally about a twenty minute drive," I responded trying to think back to my previous exam. "I suppose it depends how bad the snow forecast for tonight is."

We continued into the school and went to get changed. Beth again gave advice as I applied my makeup but she didn't need to give the same level of advice. She walked with me to await the start of the pantomime. She wouldn't be needed till the interval where she was to help with the drinks.

During the interval I sat munching a nice slice of Stollen when Anna appeared.

"Hi Anna," I said, "I thought you would be with your parents?"

"The queue was awful so I thought I would see how you were doing. By the way the pantomime so far is excellent. However, you're coming across a bit feminine so you might want to tone it down a bit."

"Thanks," I replied. "Mr Abbots mentioned that a few times during rehearsal. Did you see Beth?"

"Yeah, she looked like she was rushed off her feet. Have you finished your Christmas shopping?"

"Mostly. I've one or two items left to get. You?"

"The same. I've been doing so much packing that I've not had a chance."

"Why don't we go on Wednesday?" I asked

"Yeah, that would be nice. Though Erika won't be able to go as she has finished her shopping and very behind with packing," responded Anna. Then after a pause added quietly, "Who's going Bill or Jill?"

I looked around to see who was in earshot. Nobody was. "Who do you want to go?"

Anna was taken aback by me putting the ball back in her court. She had been hoping I'd have made the choice. "Would you be happy if Jill came?"

"Do you prefer Jill?" I quietly asked. A slight tremble was evident in my voice.

"No," she quickly reassured. "I like Bill and Jill equally, they're both you. However I might need to get some girly things and I though you might be more comfortable like that. Mum and Dad will both be at work so you can get changed at my house."

I nodded as the bell gave a single ring. The pantomime would recommence in five minutes so Anna disappeared to rejoin her parents. The rest of the pantomime finished without any real issues. However I was very conscious about not appearing too feminine. When the play finished the clapping was louder and longer than the previous night. The crowd didn't quieten till we'd done six curtain calls!

I walked home with Beth and Anna. Mr and Mrs Scott were slightly ahead. I chatted away with Anna but Beth appeared deep in thought.

I whispered to Anna, "Do you know what's wrong with Beth?"

"No idea."

"Beth, what's up?" I asked.

"Nothing really. I saw a woman during the interval that looked familiar but I can't place her. I overheard her talking to Mr Scott regarding work and he called her Julia. I don't know any Julia's but she looked awfully familiar."

"Didn't Mrs Moore last night mention a Julia?" I mentioned.

"I've never heard Dad mention a Julia," said Anna, "but that doesn't mean anything. He never discusses work at home as most of the things he deals with are either confidential or personal."

"Oh well, must just be my imagination," said Beth.

We said goodbye to Anna. We didn't expect to see her till Monday.

At the end of, what was for us, a rather late meal Beth's thoughtful face suddenly brightened. Since I'd helped Beth cook it was Mum's turn to wash up.

"Mum," asked Beth, "where are the photo albums with older pictures of the family?"

"In the bottom left cupboard of the display unit," replied Mum. "Which side of the family?"

"Dad's."

"Then that is the mottled blue album. Why do you want to look at it?"

"I just wanted to see a young picture of Granny Toms."

Mum just shrugged in wonder as she started to run a bowl of washing up water. I followed Beth into the lounge wondering what she was doing. I presumed it was something to do with the mysterious Julia. Beth found the album and we sat together looking at some very old pictures of the family. Some of the oldest ones were brown and white. After looking through them for about fifteen minutes Beth found some of Granny Toms when she was about forty.

Beth gave a gasp just as Mum came into the room. "I see you found the album," Mum said. "Did you find what you were looking for?"

"Yes," replied Beth. "Do we have a relative called Julia?"

More [A Strange Attraction to Concrete Cows]

up
267 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Julia

Looks like Julia might just be their dad

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

More cover ups

Jamie Lee's picture

Ho ho, Tom finally got his comeuppance. People like him usually do at some point, but only after the damage has been done.

While his mom might want to lower the boom on him, if Bill is right then Tom's dad won't let it happen. Tom's dad wouldn't care it was a play or whatever. Boys don't dress as girls. It's a shame Tom isn't attending an all boys school, then he'd have little choice playing a girl if he was picked.

It's strange how quickly the subject was changed when Julia's name was mentioned. Just as though Erika's dad want to keep the subject of Julia quiet. But Beth has an idea brewing about what's being kept quiet, as she believed she recognized a woman during the interval.

Given time the kids are going to figure out what's being kept from them.

Bill was worried he'd be jeered while playing the Dame's part. Instead, the audience loved the pantomime at each performance. Guess Bill was worried about nothing.

Wonder what Anna has in mind with the last bit of shopping? Might it be to find Bill's present? And maybe it's to do with more than just buying some girly things.

Others have feelings too.

Concrete Cows Chapter 6

Great job, Karen! The plot is percolating nicely!

I have to say that keeping Beth and Bill in the dark about Julia and denying all contact seems a bit cruel. Particularly since it seems to be an open secret with the Scotts and Moores aware of the situation. Both children appear to be mature enough to handle knowing the truth - particularly with what is happening to Bill. Which his mother is well aware of!

I eagerly look forward to the next chapter. Thanks!

re: Concrete Cows Chapter 6

Hi,

Thanks for your comments...

We as readers see Bill and Beth would not have any issues with their Dad. However, Mum and Dad do not know that. They only think that Bill is only a girl for the pantomime. Also as parents they see that Bill has issues with school and don't want to increase his isolation further. Children of TG children also face cruelty; other children pick on them, call them names etc.

Don't forget that Julia works for Donald Moore and George Scott is personnel director. Both would know and aid the transition. As with all stealth transitions the less people that know the better.

Hugs

Karen

Another well written chapter

Hi Karen
I was wrong I thought that Bill would get some where with his mom but I was wrong he got nowhere. You've done an awesome job with this story so far. I have a feeling that the next chapter will unravell alot more about thier father. As always you have me wanting even more now but take your time I can wait. As I have said before you are truelly a talented writer so keep up the great work.

Sincerely,
John (dooey52)

re: Another well written chapter

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments...I try to keep things unexpected. Never expect me to reveal too much more per chapter or you'd know everthing before the end.

Hugs

Karen

Oh Yes!

Karen, another very nice chapter! I look forward to your next installment of this series. Karen Page is now on my list of top TG authors! Thanks Karen! Please continue the good work.

re: Oh Yes!

Hi,

Sorry I can't personalise this as I don't know who you are. Thank you for your kind comments. This has been fun to write. More is on the way.

Hugs

Karen

Tom or Tammy?

Jezzi Stewart's picture

Excellent! It will be interesting to see mom's reaction to beth's closing comment. Will she still try to keep up the secret? You go, authorgirl! Whatever will be Tom's punishment? Given that this is TG fiction, I have a guess.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

re: Tom or Tammy?

Hi,

Ah but will Tom get punished in the style everyone things? Wait and see!

Thanks for the comment...it really helps.

Karen