The Day I Went Home - Part III

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

Lisa sees the psychistrist.

Story:

Lisa sees the psychiatrist

THE DAY I WENT HOME - PART THREE

By Barbara Lynn Terry  © 2005

Chapter V - Lisa Sees The Psychiatrist

We left the store with our bags, and went to Woolworth's to have lunch. It wasn't that far from Gimbel's, just a couple of blocks. One nice thing about downtown, is that many bus lines ran up and down the avenue, and every fifteen minutes. So, we walked to Woolworth's and was taken to our booth by the hostess. The only time they had a hostess was when they were really busy. We sat down, and my mother ordered a milk for me, coffee for her, and two garden salads. We sat and ate, talked about our shopping trip, and then mom got really serious.

"Lisa honey, I don't want you to worry when you see the doctor, okay. Just be yourself, and let him ask you the questions."

"Okay mom, I will. Like I said, he is in for a very big surprise if he tries to treat me anyway, but as a young lady."

"That's my girl. Are we finished then?"

"Yes mother. I'm ready."

We went to pay our bill, and then headed for the bus stop. We had to cross the street, and go to the middle of the block, cause downtown, that's where the buses picked us up at. Since we had to cross at the corner, we had just missed our bus. It was a good thing it wasn't winter, or would have been very cold, waiting for that next bus. When our bus came, we got on, and sat down. We didn't talk much, because I was thinking what I would tell the psychiatrist when I went to see him. Before I knew where we were, my mother was telling me to wake up, cause we're home. We got off of the bus and crossed the street, and went in to our house. It wasn't that far from the bus stop, only about a half of a block, but it was on the other side of the street, coming from downtown.

When we got up to our house, my uncle Whitey was sitting on the front porch waiting for us. He wasn't a tall man, just five foot seven inches tall, and was in very good shape. We all called him Whitey because he had naturally curly blonde hair that when the light hit it just right, it looked almost white.

"Whitey! It is good to see you, but what are you doing here? We didn't expect to see you today."

"I just came to drop off the Buick. Lisa you are very pretty today, are you going somewhere?"

"Yes uncle Whitey, I have to go to see the doctor, and I am not going to let him tell me who I am, or who I have to be."

"Good girl," he said with that always smile he had. "You're mother called me and told me what your birthday wish was. I see that it was the right one, too."

"Thank you uncle Whitey."

But Whitey why are you leaving us the Buick tho? I mean we can take the bus anywhere we need to go to."

"Yes, but mom and dad want to see Lisa, and this will help you. Besides, it gets cold in the winter waiting for buses."

"Thank you, Whitey. I really don't know what to say. Won't you come in for a cup of coffee?"

"No, I have to be going, I just wanted to make sure you got the keys and the title."

We gave uncle Whitey a big hug and then he left.

We took our bags up to my room and my mother and I put them away. Then I asked my mother when was I supposed to see the psychiatrist. She looked at me, and then she got a "mother smile".

"Lisa that is a very good question dear. When we are done here, and I see that we are, I'll call one. I haven't figured out which one yet, cause I have never had to see one. But, come on Lisa, we'll make that call together."

I followed her to the living room, where I sat on the sofa next to her, and she picked up the phone and dialed, after looking in the yellow pages. I noticed that the doctors had a section that was all of their specialties, psychiatry was one of them. So I just sat there listening to her talk to someone who was making the appointment.

"Hello, uhm yes, but not for me though, for my son. He dresses, acts and talks like a girl. I just want to have the doctor evaluate him to make sure there is no mental illness. What was that?!? Of course I don't think a physical boy, needing to be a girl, is mentally ill! Listen, if you don't want to make this appointment, and all you want to do is insult me and my daughter, then I will call someone who will be nice. What? Oh yes, son, whatever. I didn't start this, you did. Don't you ever call my child mentally ill again."

Mom wasn't going for that "crazy" stuff. I mean she was very angry at whoever she was talking to.

"Yes, Friday afternoon at two o'clock will be fine. See you then, bye. The nerve of that woman, telling me, in her opinion, any boy wanting to be a girl was mentally ill. You know Lisa, this man and his staff are not going to be totally on your side. This doctor, if my impression is correct, will try to make you think that you are sick, and he will do everything in his power to make you think that way too. You are only ten years old, and doctors like talking to you like you are still a baby...."

"Excuse me, mother."

"Yes Lisa, what is it?"

"If I told you the reason that this doctor would not be able to make me feel that I am sick, you would think I was. I just want to tell you that this doctor will not succeed. He has met his match in this little girl."

"Good girl. We can't let men, especially men doctors, make us feel that we are inferior to anyone. We have brains and as much right to use them, as a man does. There is a saying that 'this is a man's world', and he will do everything he can to show you just how true that is. Remember that too, Lisa, as you get older. Never, ever, let a man push you around."

"Thanks mom. Hey! Have I told you that I love you?" I said giving her the biggest hug I could.

""Why Lisa, I don't know, but I'll take your hugs any day though." We both giggled as she said that. "Hey daughter of mine. Would you like to go over to Marcie's and visit with her for a while? I would like to talk to Marcie's mother."

"Okay mother, I love going over by Marcie's. She has helped me quite a lot to give me the courage I needed to tell you of my birthday wish." Well she didn't, it was Stevie that actually gave me the courage, but I didn't tell her that.

"And I am so glad she did too." She said with a smile as she gave me a hug.

So my mother went to get her purse, and she came out with one for me too. A little one for a girl just my age, with a shoulder strap. She showed me how to carry it, and then we left for Marcie's. We talked on the way, just taking in the sights, and looking at all the beauty in nature. Marcie didn't live that far from our house, and we were there in no time. My mother rang the doorbell, and Marcie answered the door.

"Lisa!" Marcie exclaimed giving me a hug. "Hello Mrs Connors, won't you both please come in?"

"Why thank you Marcie, that is so nice of you," my mother said as we entered Marcie's house. "Marcie, I came with Lisa because I want to talk to your mother. Is that okay dear?"

"Yes Mrs. Connors, I'll go and get her." Marcie left to get her mother, but she wasn't gone long. "Mrs. Connors, my mother said for you to come in the kitchen. Come on, I'll show you where it is." We all went to the kitchen, as Marcie's mother looked up from the table.

"Hi Lisa, you look very pretty today. Is this your mother?"

"Thank you ma'am,and yes this is my mother. Mom, may Marcie and I go and listen to some records?"

She looked at Marcie's mother, who just nodded. "Yes dear, you two go and have fun. I need to talk to Marcie's mom anyway." The two of us left and we went to Marcie's room, where I had worn Marcie's clothes, whenever I was over.

"What do you think they're talking about in there?" She asked looking at me with a false and humorous concern.

"About me, of course," I said and we both giggled. "I have an appointment on Friday to see a psychiatrist, and my mother said that he will try to make me change my mind about being a girl. But I told my mother that if he even so much as thought about trying to change my mind, I would give him a big surprise. Marcie, we have been best friends ever since I can remember, so I know that I can tell you this. I don't ever, ever, ever, want to be a yucky boy. Boys are nasty and all they want to do is play tricks on us girls. I don't like it when they do that. They always want to play violent games too, like war, cowboys and indians, cops and robbers. Don't boys know that these games are in a form that actually in real life, have hurt many people? Godddd Marcie, I just want to die, every time I see a boy playing like they have real guns."

"I know, me too Lisa. But hey, we came here to listen to records. So let's have some fun."

She got out her records and we listened to Elvis Presley, while we each did our own dance steps to his music. As she put the first record on, we went "eeeeeeeeooooooo" and then our mothers came in the room, and just stood by the door as we were dancing. Marcie was doing her steps, and I was doing mine, and we were both oblivious to their presence. But they didn't say anything though, cause they knew why we had screamed. Then my mother finally said something.

"Ahem!" She said loud enough for us to hear over the music. "Lisa honey, I'm going to go home now, but you can stay and visit with Marcie."

"Okay and thanks mother," I said as I ran to her and gave her a very big hug.

Our mothers left and we continued to dance to the music. Who I really loved though, was Ricky Nelson. We always watched the Ozzie and Harriet show on television. Marcie and I continued to dance around the room, each doing our own steps. Then I don't know if I got dizzy or what, but I fell, and as I sat there with my bewilderment, Marcie began to laugh. I soon joined her, and then I said why don't we get something to drink, cause the dancing had made me thirsty. Marcie agreed, and we went in the kitchen to get some lemonade. Marcie's mother asked if we were having fun yet.

"Yes mother," Marcie said as we sat at the table and drank our lemonade. "We were dancing to Elvis and Ricky Nelson, and a few of the women singers too."

"Oh? Like who?"

"Oh like Marcie Blain, who wants to be Bobby's Girl, and we even listened to Tammy Wynette."

"I've heard that one Bobby's Girl, that is a nice song for your age. Kinda reminds me of me, when I would sit by the phone waiting for my boyfriend's call."

It is so nice to be able to be accepted by girls and just being able to sit there and talk girl talk, like it was something secret we were saying that we didn't want the boys to hear. I looked at the kitchen clock, and I said my good nights and told them I had to go home.

"All right Lisa. Call us when you get home, so we know that you made it."

"Yes ma'am, I will." I gave them each a hug, and then I left to go home.

"Hey!" A voice said behind me. I slowly turned my head so I could see who it was, while I was still walking. "Hey, don't be in such a hurry. May I walk you home?"

"Yes Bradley, you may." Bradley Wilkes was in my class at school. He was very nice.

"Why are you dressed like a girl, David?"

"My name isn't David anymore. It's Lisa Anne."

He looked at me like, huh. I shot a very cat ready to strike look, in his direction, and I could see him go "gulp."

"But why? I mean, you look very pretty, and the way you just looked at me, is the way my sister looks at me when she's had enough of my teasing."

"Bradley, you must promise not to laugh, okay. I will tell you."

"Okay, I promise not to laugh."

"Bradley, I have never been a boy. Not really. I have always been a girl in here," I said pointing to my heart. "Ever since I was really little. I didn't know how to tell my mother, until yesterday when I had my birthday party. Then I made a birthday wish, and told my mother that I wished I could be a girl forever."

"Okay."

"Is that all you have to say? Don't you want to ask me a question?"

"Yes."

"I get a real laugh out of boys, cause you talk in one word sentences. We learned about sentences last year in school, remember."

"What? All I did was answer you."

"Yes I guess, Bradley." I was giving Bradley a very rough time, and I was enjoying watching him 'squirm' as my mother put it.

"All right, you sure are a girl, cause you not only look like one, but you act more like a girl than a boy, because I watch my sister all the time how she acts, and you act just like her."

"Okay Bradley. Hey! I'm home. Bradley, would you like to come in?"

"Are you sure it's okay with your mom?"

"Yes it's fine Bradley, you just won't be allowed in my room, is all."

"But why is that? I mean you are still a boy, aren't you?"

"No Bradley, I'm not and I never have been. This body is male, but the person inside is female. I am all girl inside and that is all that counts, really."

"Okay, I guess I can come in for a while."

"Cool. C'mon Bradley, last one in is a girl." Bradley shot past me, like he had his pants on fire, (giggles).

"Well Bradley, you won, I guess I'm a girl." (Giggles). We had a good laugh about that and I took Bradley in to meet my mom. "Mom, I'd like you to meet Bradley Wilkes. He's in my room at school."

"Well Bradley, it is nice to meet you. Have you known Lisa Anne a long time, Bradley?"

"Yes ma'am, since kindergarten."

"How come I have never heard Lisa Anne talk about you then? She talks about all of the kids in her class all the time."

"It's cause my mom picks me up from school."

"I see. Would you like some lemonade, Bradley?"

"Yes ma'am, thank you."

"A young man with manners. Why aren't you out playing baseball or something, Bradley?"

"I was on my way home when I saw Lisa Anne walking by herself. I asked her if I could walk her home."

"That is very kind of you, Bradley. I think though that you had better call your mother to let her know where you are."

"Yes ma'am, thank you."

Bradley called his mother, and told her he was at my house, but he used the name David. I looked at him with such an evil look, that he gulped again. Then he told his mother he was with a girl, named Lisa Anne. I don't know what his mother said, but he had me go and get my mother so they could talk on the phone.

"Mrs. Connors, my mother wants to talk to you."

"Hello? Well it is nice to meet you too, Mrs. Wilkes. I gave Bradley a glass of lemonade, and told him he better call you. My address is 1521 North 27th, street. It is the side door. Why yes, I would like to meet you too. Okay Mrs. Wilkes, I'll tell him." She hung up the phone, and turned to look at Bradley. "Bradley, your mother said she is coming over so that we can talk. You and Lisa Anne can watch television if you'd like."

"Thank you, ma'am."

It wasn't long before Bradley's mother got to my house. She rang the doorbell, and I went to answer it.

"Yes ma'am?" I said knowing who she was.

"Well hello young lady. I'm Bradley's mother. Is he still here?"

"Yes Mrs. Wilkes, he is just in the living room straight ahead."

She walked into the living room, and saw Bradley sitting on the sofa, watching television. "Hello Bradley."

He turned to look at her and he smiled as he said "Hi Mom, This is Lisa Anne."

"What a charming name. Where is your mother dear?"

"She's in the kitchen, come on I will show you." She followed me into the kitchen, and then when my mother looked up, I said, "mother this is Mrs. Wilkes, Bradley's mother."

My mother got up and walked over to her and shook her hand a little.

"Please, call me Joan, everyone does, except Lisa Anne of course." She giggled a little and then Mrs. Wilkes told my mother to call her Dawn.

"Nice meeting you Dawn, please sit down. Would you like a cup of coffee, or some lemonade?"

"Oh uhm, thank you. Coffee is great."

"Children, why don't you go and play or listen to some records. Watch television. Mrs. Wilkes and I would like to talk."

"Okay mother," I said, pulling Bradley by the arm.

We went in the living room, and I told Bradley I would be right back. I went in my room and got my record player, and some records and went out to the living room.

"Bradley, let's listen to some records."

"Okay, Lisa, that sounds like fun. Do you have any Elvis?"

"Bradley, I'm a girl. Of course I have Elvis, Ricky Nelson, and lot of others too. My Favorite is Ricky Nelson."

"Yeah, my sister likes him too. I mean what's special about Ricky Nelson, besides that he's famous?"

"Oh Bradley, you actually have to be a girl to know why."

"Well let me see," Bradley's mother said with a very big smile. "He's handsome, talented, rich, has manners, and wears the latest fashions. You see Bradley, even though he is way too young for me, even I like Ricky Nelson, and Lisa Anne is right, you actually have to be a girl to really know why we like all of those things in a man. You don't have to be rich, or have a talent, but you should have manners. That is the most important thing."

"I understand mother."

With Bradley coming over every day and school, the week went pretty fast. It was Friday, and my mother would be picking me up from school, so I could go and see the psychiatrist. (Author's Note: Psychiatrists and psychologists saw you for a myriad of problems, and the psychiatrists did the psychotherapy sessions, instead of a psychotherapist.) I was sitting in class just finishing reading my part in a story we were reading as a class, when my mother came to the classroom door, with the principal.

"Lisa, It looks like your mother is here. Good luck young lady. And don't let them tell you that you are anything other a nice little girl."

"I won't ma'am," I said with a smile as I left the classroom.

"Dear we're going to go to see the doctor now. Just remember, it doesn't matter what he thinks, you know we all love you. Even Bradley loves you too as a dear friend and as the girl you are."

"Yes Mother, I know. Like I said tho, if this doctor thinks he can get the upper hand on me, he is in for a very big surprise."

"That's my girl," My mother said with a smile as she looked at the principal.

The doctor's office was located in County Hospital on the eighth floor, children's wing. The waiting area was huge, and all of the doctors offices were along one wall of the waiting area, and there were toys of all kinds. A little girl with the most precious blue eyes, brought coloring book and crayons to me and asked to color her picture. I colored the picture ib light hues and gave it back to her, and she ran to her mother and told her I had colored it for her. Then I heard my name called, I was told to just sit still, cause the doctor wanted to see my mother first. After a few minutes went by, I was called in and my mother came out.

"Hell Lisa Anne, I'm Dr. Johnston," he said holding out his hand. I took it briefly, like lady would, and let him shake my hand. Then I pulled away from him. "What's the matter Lisa, I don't bite."

"Nothing Dr. I just don't know you is all."

"all right, there is nothing wrong with that. Please Lisa, sit down and let's talk. I'm going to show you some pictures we call ink blots and I want you give me your honest opinion about what you see in these blots. Okay?"

"Okay Dr. Johnston." He gave me the Rorschach test, which lasted about all of 6 minutes. All twenty of the inkblots were answered to his satisfaction.

"Now Lisa Anne, I am not convinced that you should be a girl. I don't believe that boys can be females and girls can't be males. So, if you can convince me that you should be allowed to be the girl that your are, or think that you are, Then we will see what I can do to see if you want to be a boy. Okay."

"Okay doctor, but you are going to be very surprised at what I can do to convince you that I am a girl."

"Very unlikely. You see, even though there are trannssexuals who believe that they are women, it is impossible for you to be female. I mean you won't be able to have children..."

"Doctor, I said cutting him off. "There are women who can't have children anyway, because they are born without ovaries. But yet these women live a normal female life. They also do not have monthly cycles either, because of the lack of ovaries."

"Young man..."

I cut him off again. "Dr. I don't care if you think I cannot be female. But what bothers me is, your lack of respect for who I am. And the next time you call me young man, I will ignore your questions. I, Doctor, am a young lady."

"You don't have to be so angry, Lisa Anne. I'm just giving you my honest opinion about what I believe."

"I'm not angry doctor, you wouldn't like me if I was really angry, because if I was really angry doctor, you would get a tongue lashing you'd never forget. And yes there are transsexual women who have gone on to lead wonderful female lives, that we don't even hear about. So don't tell me these women cannot live normal female lives. When I have my surgery to complete my journey into womanhood, I will be just another barren woman living a normal life. There is nothing doctor that you can say in you belief that a male cannot be a female, to deter me from my final goal. Doctor Johnston, I did not wake up this morning and look at myself in the mirror and say 'yeah ok, I think today I'll be a girl for the rest of my life.' This is something that has been with me since I can remember and that goes way back to when I was four years old. Now, Doctor Johnston, if a four year old knows that there is definitely something different, then why is it, everyone else is trying to force that four year old to be somebody he or she is not?"

"I have something for you David." He got up and walked to a bookcase, and opened the top glass door. He took out a box, and right away I could see it was a model of US Navy ship. He set the box in front of me. "David...." I cut him off again.

"Doctor Johnston, now I know older people have a hard time remembering, but my name is Lisa Anne Connors; I am a girl; I play with dolls, and doll buggies, and I have such a nice time with those games. I am not here to see whether or not you think I am crazy, I am here for you to make a determination as to whether or not there a mental illness making me make my decision to be a girl. And just because I am ten years old, does not make any difference. I'll bet you're going to tell me that I have my whole life ahead to make that decision. Well doctor, if I can't start transition now, it will be too late later on, because testosterone will have done its damage. And I don't care if there have only five transsexuals who have completed transition since Christine Jorgensen or not. Now Doctor, can you tell me, since our time is almost up, if you think I'd make a cute girl, or if you think I'm suffering a mental aberration?"

"All right Lisa Anne," he said with a swipe of his hand in the air with a I could care less attitude. "I think you are very highly intelligent for your age, I think that you may even succeed as a girl. But I don't believe a male body can be made that realistically into a female body. Now look, why don't you put this model together, and we can talk next time. Okay Dav...uhm Lisa Anne?"

I walked to the door and opened and motioned for my mother to come in the office. "Mother, this is not a psychiatrist. He is a phony hiding under his license but doesn't want to do what he was hired for. I think he need to make another appointment with someone else. maybe someone who will understand more. This guy thinks He's Freud himself." With that remark, I got a real 'who me?" look from the doctor. My mother then looked at him very sternly.

"Well doctor Johnston, can she succeed as a girl, and is there any mental illness present?"

"Well Mrs. Connors, Lisa is definitely going to succeed. She doesn't take any guff from any man, including me. And she seems to know her own mind well enough to know that once this operation is performed it is forever. Do you understand this Lisa?"

"Yes doctor. I have known this for six years already."

I saw the doctor's eyebrows shoot up when I said that,

"You have wanted to be a girl for how long Lisa Anne?"

"Six years, doctor."

"Are you saying that you knew your own mind at four years old?"

"Yes doctor."

"All right, take this out to the receptionist and she will type it up. It is a statement of a clean bill of mental health, and a recommendation to the childrens court for you to go ahead and make Lisa Anne's name permanent."

I ran to Doctor Johnston and gave him a big hug and a kiss on his cheek. He thanked me for that and then he said.

"Young lady, now I know you are all girl. The way you ran up to me, the way you called your mother in here, the way you tongue lashed me. This all supports the notes I took. You didn't look at the model, except in disgust. Yes Lisa Anne Connors, you are little big girl ten years old going on twenty." We all giggled about that, and then we went out into the waiting area and gave the receptionist the two notes from Doctor Johnston. She said it wouldn't take long as she would type them up, and have the doctor sign them. About twenty minutes went by, and she came out and gave my mother the two letters.

"Good luck Lisa Anne."

"Thank you ma'am."

Chapter VI Childrens court

We left the office and got on the route ten bus, which just got to the bus stop as we did. We decided that we needed a little something to eat, so we stopped at George Webbs, and got a bag of cheesburgers to go. When we got home, the burgers were still warm and good. I had one, and my mother had one. We each had an apple juice with vitamin C in it, cause apples don't have their own vitamin C, cause they're not a citrus fruit. Hush now, I'm supposed to be ten years old, remember? Mom doesn't know anything except I just one day said, can I help, and everthing fell into place. (Giggles).

"Lisa I am going to have Mr. Filbert make out the necessary papers, for your legal name and gender change. This one letter from Dr. Johnston said that you are in transition, and that you have been female for many years, and you are his patient, which is kinda true Lisa Anne, he did see you once, so that makes you his patient. This is a letter of recommendation that it would in the best interest of the child to be permitted to have her gender changed from male to female and her name changed from David to Lisa Ann Connors. The other letter is just an explanation that your not mentally ill, in wanting to be a girl."

"Do you think mother, that the court will say that I can be a girl, I mean with my name changed an everything?"

"Honey I think everything will go as we planned, and you will be able to live your life as Lisa Anne."

"That would be so cool mother. Mother? Thanks for everything."

"Why honey, your welcome of course. You are my child, and I just want you to be happy because I love you." We gave each other a big hug. Then we talked some more.

"Mother, when do you think Mr. Filbert will be able to get us to see the judge?"

"May in a couple of weeks honey. We'll see just what they have going, ok."

"Ok mom."

My mother picked up the phone to Call William Filbert, Attorney At law, and tell him she needed to make an appointment as soon as possible, because what we needed done needed to be done before school started. The secretary told her to wait, he would be right with her. About a few moments later I heard start talking.

"Hi Bill, this is Joan Connors. We just cam back from having David see a psychiatrist for an evaluation. Sh ... he has been given a clean bill of mental health, and we have a letter from the doctor stating that too. I need to come in and see you in a couple of days, because we want David's name and gender changed."

"Yes Bill that's right. We want her name changed to Lisa Anne Connors,a nd her gender changed to female. I'll bring the letters from the doctor with me. All right, Monday is fine. I wouldl ike to get into the court as soon as possible though. Yes Bill and you too. See you on Mnday at 10:00."

When she hung up the phone, I asked, "mother may I go with you to Mr. Filbert's?"

"Yes dear, you can. I'm sure he will want to ask you some questions."

"All right mother. Is there something I can help you with?"

"Well let me see. We just had a little lunch, so dinner won't have be started until about four, so, right now though, no there isn't anything you can do. I'm going to watch a little television."

"Okay Mother, I'll be right back then."

I left and went into my room. I looked in the mirror and liked what I saw. I saw a young girl looking back at me. I just smiled and said, "Lisa Anne Connors, you are going to be beautiful when you grow up." I changed into my nightgown, and got my bunny slippers, and went to join mother. I laid my head on her shoulder, and she started to caress my hair absent mindedly, while watchin television. "I love you, mother."

"I love you too, sweetie. You are so precious." I smiled and just laid there.

For how long I laid there, I don't know, cause the next thing I knew, I was in bed, and it already morning. Saturdays held a special place in my heart, even during the summer. It seemed that during the week everyone was doing something else. But on Saturday, all of my friends were home, and we did things together. Today I would see if I could go over to Marcie's and see if the girls could come over too. It wasn't done very much, that a girl of my age would call on a boy. We would just see each other at school, unless he called me. So, I got out of bed and padded off to take my bath. Sweet Gladiolas was the name of the bubble bath I would use today. I poured som in the tub and just let the bubbles rise. I put my hair under a shower cap, and when the tub was full, I got in and just soaked. The last couple of days had made me very tired, and a bubble bath can cure all ills. so I just sat there using a sponge to pour the water and suds all over me. It felt really good too. After a while, the water started losing its heat, so I washed myself, and then rinsed off and went to get dressed.

After I had gotten dressed, I went downstairs for some breakfast. My mother was in the kitchen, just sitting there having a cup of coffee, and looking at her copy of Woman's Day. As I walked in the kitchen, she looked up at me.

"Well I see we're sporting our Saturday look." We both giggled, because I was wearing my pink petal pushers, with my pink cami top, and my pink tennis shoes. I looked more ready for the golf course than for hanging with my friends.

"Yes mother,I thought I'd just wear something different today."

"Well you certainly look like my daughter today. What are your plans for today?"

"I want to go over to Marcie's today and just hang with the girls. Marcie has a few new records I want to hear."

"Okay dear, that's fine with me. It is almost ten o'clock, would she be up now?"

"Yes Mother, I was just going to call her when I was finished with my breakfast."

Okay dear, just remember though, if you want to spend the night, call me."

"I will mother. Thank you."

"Honey, it is important for a girl your age to have friends. That is how we learn to behave when we are around others, when we become adults."

I gave her a big hug, and a kiss on her cheek, then I went to call Marcie. When Marcie answered I started telling her that I wanted to come over for a little while and maybe listen to her new Elvis records. I heard her yell to her mother if it was all right if I came over and listened to records and played for a while.

"Lisa, my mother said you can come over. Are you going to spend the night?"

"I can, but my mother will have to drop me off. So I will go and ask her right now."

"Okay. Call me when you are on your way over."

"I will."

I went in the kitchen to ask my mother if she could drop me and an overnight bag off at Marcie's.

"Yes dear, I would be happy to. Come on, I'll help you get ready." After we packed my overnight bag, we headed out to the car.

We got to marcie's house in little time, and she was waiting for me on the porch.

"Well girlfriend, I see you're not moving in like last time." We giggled, and then I hugged my mother and told her I loved her.

"I love you too honey. You girls have fun."

"Thanks Mother." She smiled as she got in the car and drove home.

"Come on Lisa, I have a few new Elvis records, and they are really neat."

Marcie had three brand new releases from Elvis. Hard Headed Woman, Wear My Ring Around Your Neck, and Young Dreams. When she put the first record on we did our dance routines, separately, but together. The When she put the second one on, her mother came up to listen.

"Marcie dear, don't you think you're a little too young for a ring around your neck?" She laughed.

"OH mother," and we all giggled.

As marcie put the third record on, her mother joined us in dancing. We were surprised to see she actually knew some of the modern dances.

"Mother, where did you learn these dances from?"

"Well, young lady, I do go out you know." We all giggled again. Marcie's mother was fun. "Lisa, did you bring a nightgown, honey?"

"Yes ma'am I got a brand new one too." I went to my overnight bag and took it out to show her and Marcie.

"Wow, Lisa, that is very pretty. I like the little deer and bunnies on there."

"Thanks, ma'am."

"Yeah girlfriend, I think I'm jealous." We all giggled. "Hey! I have an idea. Let's call the girls and see if they can come over for a sleepover? I'll go ask my mother if it's okay."

"That's a good idea, Marcie."

While she went to ask her mother, I got my clothes off, and put my nightgown on. I took my slippers out too, and stepped into them. I was ready for the sleepover, because I knew Marcie's mother would say yes. Then I went downstairs to see if I could use the phone.

"Why Lisa dear, you're all ready for the sleepover. Good. Yes you can use the phone,d ear."

"Thank you ma'am." I called my mother to let her know we were having a sleepover, and would she be nice and make something for the girls like a snack. She said she would love to. It is nice that I thought of my mother to make a snack for us. It makes her feel that I love her enough to think about her. Of course, it will give her another excuse to get out of the house. Then she and Marcie's mother will sit downstairs, until we go to bed. That's good, cause mother works too hard, and she needs to visit with friends for a change of pace, instead of staying that big house all alone.

Marcie came in the living room from the kitchen, and called all the girls, to see if they could come over for a sleepover. They all said yes. About an hour later, my mother, and the girls, showed up. It was now twelve thirty in the afternoon, and we had all day to play, listen to records, talk, sing along, do each other's hair. Of course, with the hair, we weren't experts like my mother, but we managed. Sometimes we came up with some of the most ridiculous do's though. That's what it means to have fun at a sleepover. Girls bonding with each other in friendship. When we went in Marcie's room, we closed the door, and talked about what we wanted to do.

We listened to records, marcie's mother brought in kool aid for us and some cookies, so we could have a snack. We sat and talked, the girls were talking about a couple of boys who always picked on them.

"Ronnie," I said concerned. "Joey doesn't know a lot for being in the in the 5th grade. I mean, he has to ask someone to always help him with his homework, because he doesn't pay attention in class. Robert too. It seems they would rather just pick fights with others."

"Yeah well, my mother told me the next time they pick on me, to give them a kick square in the front of their pants." We put our hands over our mouths and giggled. "Besides, I think Robert just goes along with Joey, because Joey seems like a trouble maker to me."

"To me too," Marcie said as she took another cookie. "I mean what is it with boys anyway? All they want to do is cause trouble. I don't mean you were causing any trouble, Lisa, cause you have always been one of us."

"Thank you, Marcie. Who wants to play with my hair? Let's see what kind of funny do's we can make."

It didn't take much talking, as they all jumped up, and we went over to Marcie's vanity bench. I sat down, and the girls started. The first do, was sort of like Buckwheat in the Little Rascals. That was Ronnie's do. Glenda decided to try something different. She took my hair and put it up like ringlets on the top and sides. When I looked at it, I said it was very pretty. And it was, I wouldn't mind wearing hair like that to school. Then Sharon had to get in on it too. She truned around and got her kit from her bag. She said she was going to make me very pretty. We had fun with this, and this all took about two hours. We laughed after each do, and then they would say "oh my, you are very pretty," and we would laugh again.

After were finished with that, we put on the records, and danced. Marcie played her new Elvis records, and then we had another cookie, and some kool aid.

"Lisa, tell us about what happened when you went to see the doctor," Ronnie said with an expectant look on her face.

"Well really nothing happened. I thought that by the way he was talking to me, that he was going to try and change my mind about needing to be the girl I am. But he was only doing that to see what I would do. After we were both done, he called my mother in to tell her, that I should be permitted to be the girl I always needed to be. He gave my mother two notes to be typed up. One said that I am clear of any mental diseases, and the second one was to let the children's court know, that with his blessing, I should have my name and gender changed. So my mother called the attorney to file the papers. Once I come back from childrens court, I will be Lisa Anne Connors forever."

"That is so cool, Lisa. I always knew you were one of us, even before that first day here, when you asked if you could wear one of Marcie's dresses."

"Yes Sharon, and I have learned a lot, but now, it is going to be all of the time. There is still a lot I need to know, but I have all of you for friends, and maybe I will learn it as we grow up."

"We all need to learn what being a girl is all about. There is a lot we don't know either."

"For sure, Sharon. Hey mom's calling us for dinner. Wow, we've been up here that long? Looks like what my mom says is right. Time does fly when you are having fun." We all giggled and went down to dinner.

_______________________________________________________________
There will a Part IV. I had wanted to end this with only three parts, But I guess that isn't going to happen. The actual court hearing will be in the first part of Part IV.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Such a Sweet Story

How many times have we all said, "If only I'd done (said) that."?

Life is filled with regrets.

This story show us, through Chapter III at least, that had we said or done the right thing everything would have worked out right.

This story is a fantasy based on the often asserted theory that once the twig is bent the tree will always be crooked. I would hope that life is a bit less forgiving. We have opportunities every day to make the most of what we have.

There is tremendous love in your story, Barbara Lynn. I hope you are sharing that love with the world as much -- as you can -- in as many ways as you can. I can almost imagine your smile.

I've spent many happy days in Madison. It's one of the truly beautiful mid-western cities. The downtown area is vibrant with young minds and bodies eagerly exchanging ideas; and in general having fun. If you still live there, you're to be envied.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

great story

this is a really good story, I am glad that you have not finshed it there as it would of left an open ending. Where does stevie come back into it?

I am looking forward to part 4.

keep up the good work

yours loving

Samantha Rebecca Clarkson

somethings changed

NoraAdrienne's picture

I love the story so far and think you should carry it all the way back up to Lisa and Steve getting married. I have a question though. In part 1 Lisa and her mom take a bus downtown because the don't have a car... yet by part 3 you have Lisa asking her mom to drive her over to Marcie's house for the sleepover. WHAHAPIN?

Something's changed

I'm sorry Nora, I forgot about the car. Lisa's uncle had given them an old car he didn't need, because of all of the going here and there. I will edit this part to show that...Darn I knew I left something out, and at the time I was thinking it too. It's just my fingers didn't cooperate...giggle.

But thnx for bringing this to my attention and I will put it in where it belongs. Lisa's uncle tho, will only be a cameo, and not a regular character.

With best wishes always,

your friend,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

I'm sorry, but...

I had wanted to end this with only 4 parts to the story, but in part IV, there will not be enough room for Lisa and Stevie. So I will put them in Part V.

Barbara Lynn Terry

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."