The Mail Box

Printer-friendly version

The Mail Box
by
BrandieS

Standing in front of a mail box is almost ironic. In this day of the instant message, texting friends and anybody else, e-mails and other multimedia message platforms actually taking the time and effort to write a hand written letter and actually mail it is indeed ironic. Yet, hand written letters have a place in society, a place that can never be overtaken by the transmission of a digital message. So there she was, standing in front of the mail box holding a sealed envelope in her hands. One hand holding onto the envelope, the other hand perched to open the slot allowing the sealed envelope to be deposited in the care and safety of the Postal Service.

Still for the lady, time seemed to stand still. People passing by were unaware of the acute shift in the temporal atmosphere surrounding her. As she moved her arm, extending it towards the waiting handle, her heart continued to beat. The beat however increased as her arm and hand neared the waiting handle. The handle felt no emotion. As an inanimate object it was beyond feeling, it simply did. Still as time slowed for the lady and people passing continued to not notice a change in the temporal relationship between the reaching arm and the mail box handle, memories flooded the lady causing a tear to form in her eyes.

Tears are a good thing. They allow the eye to be cleansed of impurities and other contaminates. As the television commercial says ‘we have a ***** for that’. The plethora of products available to assist with the natural lacrimation of the eye is wide and varied. Modern medicine in conjunction with modern science has seen to helping even the unfortunate person who may be unable to produce natural tears, yet require an eye wash closely approximating real tears. For the young lady in question, her ability to form natural tears was still intact. Her tears were forming due to the contents of the envelope clutched in her hand. Many a sleepless night was spent wrestling with her inner self and her soul. Regardless of the length of her struggle, an answer would be inevitable. Yea or Nay.

Her envelope contained a simple hand written note. Not even long enough to be considered a true letter. Her missive was not about inquiring after family or telling of adventures of errant children. Hers was a mere plea for acceptance and a shout for help.

Dearest Daddy,

For that is what you are. I have completed my journey and long to come home. I have sorely missed both you and mama, yet have stayed away these years due to our mutual hurt. I apologize again that I cannot be the son you so desperately wanted. That is a path which I am no longer able to wander on. I have changed my body to conform to my minds’ image of who and what I am.

Daddy, I did not do this to spite you. I did this so that I might live to see the future. My travels have taught me about kindness and forgiveness. I forgive you and your transgressions against me. I would like to hug you and mama one more time before you go into that final resting place.

I have met several like me and they too often speak of abuse and cruelty at the hands of loved ones. I have tried not to indict you in that fashion, just recalling that you were uneasy with having a son as I was.

My travels have shown that you are a kind and good hearted man. Yet even in an era of increased tolerance, there are some things that are intolerable. Being separated from family is one of these things.

I will close and leave the decision to you. If I am allowed home, you will know what to do and I will see the answer to my prayer.
Know in closing that I love you very much.

Your loving daughter

Time ticked on and the hand and arm extended towards the mail box handle reached its’ destination. The handle was grasped and then the journey of the other hand began, the hand holding the envelope. Would it make the journey and deposit the envelope or would that journey be halted as so many other journeys had been halted in the past?

up
73 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice!

Wonderfully open-ended, Brandie. I suspect the lynch mobs will be after you, but I think it is just the right length. There is a time and a place that requires something handwritten, and this is certainly one of them. If she was going to click-send, it just wouldn't have the same impact. I hope our anonymous lady gets a quick response to her missive. I hope she is brave enough to send it.

KJT

"All lies in jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest"

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Broken ties

I think a lot of us try to mend that first broken link of life; but in most cases it never happens. Thanks for the thought of the many people with broken ties of family.

Short and to the point, very good, Brandy

Sometime a letter is so much better, so much more personal than more modern ways.

Nicely done, an ecomomy of words in this, every one contributing to the whole. Addding or subtracting any would likely reduce it's impact.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Hi, Karen, feeling any better?

John in Wauwatosa

Nice and heartfelt

BrandieS this was short and to the point. However it didn't feel that way. The emotion and hopes presented were intense and just about perfect. You caught that sense of wondering just what would happen now that all of us having releasing that letter to fall inside that box. Just well done!

Hugs!

grover

Wow, well written and right on the mark Brandy!

I loved this, especially the way the story flowed at the perfect pace, the indecision, the pain, and the hopefulness!

What it must have been for her to even write the letter no matter delivering it to the neutral mailbox!

Fantastic writing Brandy!

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

A beautiful story

It left us with the same feeling of Frank Stockton's story, "The Lady and the Tiger', but on a subject much closer to the hearts and minds of this community.

And it left us with not one, but two, or even many more questions.

Did she mail it?

Did her letter bring acceptance?

If she sends it and is rejected, will she regret having done so?

Or, rejected, will she get on with her life, realizing that after sending it, and being rejected, at least she can close a door on years of uncertainty.

And ? and ?, and ...

As Angel said, a really WOW!! little story.

And John from Wherever is right, too.
It can hardly be added to or subtracted from without losing much more than it gains.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

I Agree With You Angel

I'd like to see if she heres from her parents and if she has a soulmate
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

An Excellent Piece

Short, concise, and wonderfully evocative. Loving and forgiving and hopeful. Would that all life was that way.

Heartfelt Letter

terrynaut's picture

I love the letter. It says so much in so few words. If only families could work their way through their intolerance and selfishness to see that love and family is more important. *sigh*

Thanks very much for this.

- Terry

A short

story is like a piece on candy. It is something that we look forward too and know that we can enjoy having more at another time. I wrote the Mail Box as an off the cuff topic. This writing is still new to me and I am trying to build it up. Sometimes word count gets in the way of saying something that is really important. I loved your comments and thank each one of you. I am amazed at how well this has been received and do hope that you continue reading my submissions.

For those of you that used up several tissues a special thanks.