Totally Insane 22 - Hallucinations

Printer-friendly version


Totally Insane 22–Hallucinations.

by Angharad

Nina_Dolls_Shoes_0_0.jpg

Of course, we were all shivering in our sleeping bags–not because it was cold but because of Gemma’s ghost story. Then when someone went, Wooooo, we all squealed and hid inside our bags. The one I was using, Brians’s, was a full adult size so, I just slid down inside it and shivered, with my fingers in my ears.

Did I mention that the rear wall of Gemma’s garden is a boundary wall of the church yard? Well it is, and hence the reason the ghost story was so frightening, it happens, the ghost walks–just the other side of it.

After a few minutes, I got too hot and began to feel smothered in my bag, so I slithered to the top again, just in time for another, Woooooo and we all squealed again. It went quiet for a moment and I wondered if I needed to go to the loo after all. I certainly didn’t want to go on my own. Then there was a knock on the patio door and a rattle as someone tried to get in but the lock held. We all screamed this time, and Mr and Mrs Smith came to see what was happening.

The lights went on and I found the courage with the adults about, to go to the cloakroom. Relieved, I went back to the party, where everyone was wide awake and still chattering.

The adult Smiths were concerned that it appeared as if someone had tried to get in, and were all for calling the police. They were puzzled that the security lights failed to come on. Mr Smith went outside and they stayed off, which annoyed him and disconcerted the rest of us.

He looked about the garden with a powerful torch but there was no sign of anyone, and he wondered if we’d dreamt it. Maybe one or two had, but all of us? Yeah, like we do it all the time–duh! His argument was someone dreamt it and shrieked and then we all did without knowing why.

I knew I’d heard the doors rattle, or at least I thought I did. Maybe it was my dream? Oo-er, I kept quiet when everyone was asking who heard what, especially as one or two weren’t sure they heard the knock and then the rattling.

It looked like it was going to be a night to remember, for all the wrong reasons. It was now one o’clock and we were still talking, or some people were, I’d drifted off a couple of times only to be woken by voices. Geez, teenage girls sure can talk.

A loud knock or bump against the patio doors woke me up, was it a dream or a real noise? “Are you awake, Kylie?” asked Gemma, who was lying next to me.

“Yeah.”

“Did you hear that?”

“I thought I heard a knock, like something hitting the door.”

“Yeah, so did I? Do you think it’s the ghost?”

“I thought they could like, walk through walls and things, so why knock?”

“Oh yeah, I like hadn’t thought of that.”

To be honest, I’d like only just thought of it myself. So what could be the explanation? Gemma and I crept to the window and peered out drawing the curtain just enough to see, except it was pitch dark and we couldn’t see anything.

“What ya’doin’?” asked a sleepy voice.

“We heard another knock on the door.”

“Oh, right,” said the voice and went back to sleep.

Just as we were getting back into our sleeping bags, there was another bang against the door. Gemma and I clutched each other tightly and shivered. Nobody else seemed to hear it. I suppose they were all fast asleep.

“What d’you think it is?” I asked her.

“Like, how do I know?” she replied.

“Well that last one sounded like something being thrown at the door.”

“So why didn’t Daddy find whatever it was?”

“’Cos he like, wasn’t looking for it?”

“If they’d thrown a stone or something, he’d have like seen it on the patio or grass.”

“Yeah, I suppose so.”

“So, Miss Wonderful, unless you can come up with something that disappears, we’ll like, need a better theory.”

“Yeah, like a snowball or something,” I chuckled.

“Oh yeah, like where is anyone gonna get a snowball in the middle of summer? Geez, Kylie, you get some crazy ideas.”

“Yeah, sorry.” I got back into my sleeping bag, and was just dropping off when I saw myself throwing snowballs. I wasn’t very good at it, my hands were too small and I couldn’t throw very far. But Brian was brill, he’d pack the snow down hard until it was like ice, and he could throw accurately for some distance. But it couldn’t be Brian, and there’s no snow. I sat up with a jerk. “I’ve got it!”

“Good, you like, keep it,” said one sleepy voice.

“You woke me up, noisy cow,” grumbled another.

“You got what?” asked a sleepy Gemma.

“Ice cubes.”

“Ice cubes?”

“Yeah, ice cubes.”

“Are you like mental?”

“No, I’m like perfectly sane. But if you threw an ice cube hard at the door, it would either bounce off into the grass, or smash and dissolve, so no one would see it.”

“Wouldn’t it bounce on to the patio,” yawned Gemma.

“Not if you like, threw it at an angle.”

“What about the security light?”

“It isn’t working.”

“It was yesterday.”

“Maybe someone’s tampered with it?”

“What just to like frighten a few schoolgirls?”

“Well if something bangs again, I’m like gonna go out an’ see.”

“What if it is like the ghost?”

“I’ll be back in faster than I went out.”

“Is that like, wise?”

“Can’t you two shut it?” said a grumpy sleepy voice.

There was another bang at the doors. My stomach flipped and I decided I had to go and see what it was. I found the torch, where I’d remembered Mr Smith had left it, and pulled back the curtain. There was no headless ghost visible.
I unlocked the door and stepped out with Gemma hissing, “Be careful,” at me. I scanned the garden, there was no one around unless they were hiding in the bushes, which they could be. Maybe this wasn’t such a clever idea? It felt cold and my teeth began to chatter.

However, my curiosity was piqued and I began searching the patio, there was nothing, except a couple of splashes of water. I suppose they could be melted ice cubes. Then I saw it in the lawn, bits of broken ice, obviously off an ice cube.

I picked it up and went back in to show Gemma my treasure. “Bits of ice cube,“ I said my teeth chattering.

“Yeah, so you’re a clever clogs, what do we like do now?” she asked me.

“Tell your parents if it happens again.”

“They’re like in bed.”

“So am I, so like, shut up,” an angry voice.

“Sorry, Kylie like, just saw the ghost in the garden.”

“What!” squealed the voice and a figure sat up.

“Oops!” hissed Gemma.

“Wossgoin’on?” asked a sleepy voice.

“Kylie saw the ghost,” said someone.

“Aaarrgh!” squealed someone else and hid inside their bag.

“You saw a ghost? Really?” asked Zoe.

“No, I don’t believe in ghosts, and I know what’s been banging on the windows.”

“I thought we’d imagined that.”

“No, someone’s been chucking ice cubes at us.”

“Like, why?”

“Presumably to like frighten us.”

“Stupid boys, I s’pect,” said Zoe.

“Who knew we were sleeping over?” I asked.

“It was like, no great secret, so like, lots of people,” said Gemma.

“Anyone like miffed, at not being invited?”

“What, like a boy?”

“Not especially.”

“Surely that isn’t a girl throwing ice cubes at us?”

“No, but it could be the brother of a girl you didn’t invite.”

“Oh, shit, Emily Richardson, she’s got a brother…”

“An’ he’s a right pig, too;” added Suzie who was now also sitting up.

“Is that Richard Richardson?” I asked.

“Do you know him?” asked Suzie in a surprised tone.

“No, but Brian has mentioned him, they call him, Dickhead Richardson.”

“I wonder why?” asked Zoe.

“We don’t know it is him, it’s all like guessing.” I wasn’t sure we should be condemning someone for nothing.

Just then another, Wooooo was heard. “I don’t like it,” said Rosie.

“It certainly sounds more like a dickhead than a ghost,” said Nicola joining the conversation.

“How do we prove it, then, Lockgirl?” asked Suzie.

“I don’t know, like do I?” I replied feeling peeved.

“How about a photograph?” suggested Nicola.

“Yeah, do you, like wanna stand out there asking them to say, ‘cheese’?” said Suzie

“No, course not,” replied Nicola.

“What if they’re in the church yard?” I asked.

“Yeah, like what if they are?” said Nicola.

“How do you feel about getting our own back?” I smiled.

“I’m not very good at throwing things,” said Rosie, withdrawing into her bag.

“What did you like, have in mind?” asked Gemma.

“We spook the spooks.”

“Like how?”

“We go round the churchyard with a sheet or two and out howl them.”

“No way, I’m like going into a grave yard after dark,” said Nicola.

“Could be dangerous, fall into an empty grave or something,” said Suzie.

“Yeah, one like the local zombie has just risen from,” I chided.

“Yeah, for all I know.”

“You’ve been watching too many horror movies.”

“Yeah, so–they could be real.”

“I suppose they like, have vampire bats in Guilford?” I teased.

“I thought it was Reading,” joked Zoe.

“Nah, they’re all zombies there,” chipped Gemma.

“Look it’s three o’clock, we either go back to bed or do something?” I said feeling fed up with the company.

“Like what, though?” challenged Suzie, “’cos I’m not going round the grave yard.”

“Well have you got a better idea?” I asked.

“Yeah, you go and we’ll stay here and watch.”

“What go on my own?” I spluttered.

“Yeah, why not?”

“You must be joking. I’ll go, but not on my own. Who’ll come with me?” The silence was deafening. I was about to say, they were a bunch of girls, but they knew that. Was my previous lifestyle reasserting itself? Did that mean I had to curtail it a little.

“I’ve got an idea.” I said after feeling things were going to be end in a farce. I found my mobile and speed dialled, the voice the other end was less than enthusiastic.

“Bri, hi, it’s me Kylie.”

“What the hell do you want, it’s three o’bloody-clock.”

“We’re getting some aggro from some lads, we think it might be Dickhead and friends.”

“What, Dickhead Richardson?”

“Yeah, they’ve throwing ice cubes at the windows and making ghost type noises.”

“Ice cubes? I didn’t think he’d be intelligent enough to know the recipe for ice cubes. So, what d’ya expect me to do about it?”

“Help me stop him. Frighten him back.”

“How?” he yawned, and I explained my plan. “Why can’t you do that with the girls?”

“I’d feel safer knowing you were there, and you’d get a chance to get one over on him for a long time.”

“Okay, do your preparation, I’ll be there in about twenty minutes.”

“Thanks, Bri.” As I switched off the mobile another cube of ice hit the windows. “Oh, goody, they’re still out there.”

Gemma helped me get ready and we’d just finished as Brian arrived on his bike. “Did you bring it?” I asked.

“Yep, God you look more ‘orrible than usual, Kylie.”

“Thanks, Bri, I can always count on you for compliments.”

“Come on let’s do it,” I said, “before I chicken out.” So we did, and it worked.

The girls all watched from the patio and heard the screams and saw the flashes. Then when we downloaded the films later, we saw that Dickhead had actually wet himself he was so frightened, there was a big dark patch in the front of his trousers.

Needless to say, no one was up very early and I hope Mrs Smith doesn’t miss the old sheet, we used. The Smith adults couldn’t understand why we didn’t wake up until after ten and why we were all still yawning.

Okay, so what did we do? Well, Gemma helped me paint my face and hands white with flour, then we put dark rings around my eyes and drew red marks like blood around my mouth and used a couple of bits of macaroni to make my fangs, then with a sheet suitably covered in what looked like blood, I stumbled around the grave yard groaning and moaning.

The two boys, who been illegally drinking cider, screamed and ran off while Brian, who was watching took some digital photos, including the one of Dickhead losing control of his bladder.

Brian’s reward was copies of the photos, to use as he wished. I didn’t ask too many questions, after all, I hardly felt well disposed to a pair of wasters who’d spoiled mine and the other girls’ beauty sleep–not that any of us really needed it that much, we’re all beautiful already.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to Gabi for express editing and improvements, any mistakes - blame Bonzi.

up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bonzi says

You got it backwards, he gets the credit and Gabi and wos'er'name take the fall.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

You know, despite...

the late phone call, Brian REALLY got some major material on those guys... I kinda think he owes his little sister... At least just a little.

Now, I do wonder what the reaction to Kyle being the one to "scare off" the two drunks... Hope that plus the locksmithing doesn't get her in trouble.

Thanks,
Annette

P.S. I hope you've got that feline on a short chain... Attempted murder of an author is a bit much even for an editor of Bonzi's stature...

Hee Hee!

joannebarbarella's picture

There's still a bit of boy in Kylie, but Brian came through too. How did he get out of the house at 3 in the morning?
Joanne

Probably...

Angharad's picture

...through the door, what d'you use in Oz, a kangaroo flap?

Angharad

Angharad

well...

i like to use the window...

but then again the door is an attractive option... mostly always considerable.

I Can Se Bri

Actually wanting Kylie to go on more sleepovers so that he can have fun scaring the clods that scare her.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Too Funny

Very funny Angharad. Thank you for the very good laugh.

Please, si.. - I mean ma'am - could I - um we - have some more?

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hey Ang,

Fun stuff. Please keep it coming? I LOVE it when bullies get 'one-upped'.

Thanks for posting this as quickly and regularly as you have been.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Be Verrry Careful Angharad

joannebarbarella's picture

Or I'll let on how the Welsh have safe sex. They spray-paint a red X on the backs of the sheep that kick. You know what I meant. Brian's a 14 (?) year old boy. Don't his parents keep any sort of watch on their kids?
Joanne

Kid Watch?

Some 14yr old kids can & do sneak out at night. How can a parent watch the inside of the house doors 24/7, particularly if they're asleep?

Ironically enough, my oldest (who did sneak out for a SHORT time) has one of those chimes like in Radio Shack, that 'bong' every time someone crosses a beam. Her's 'bongs' (fairly loud, too) every time someone opens the front or rear door of the house.

Great device when you have three young-un's. Wish we had one back in those days...

PB

LOL - reminds me why...

My folks gave up on sitters from my brother and me... The sitter happened to step outside for some reason, and my brother (in 5th grade at the time) locked her out of the house. (I was asleep at the time, and innocently missed the whole thing.) My folks ended up getting called home from a party. After that, they decided that we could watch each other... If they came home and the house was still intact (and mostly clean) and we didn't tattle on each other, we each got paid... (A whole quarter! That was nice change back around 1970...)

Strange things happen... When the doors lock.

Welsh "safe sex"

I know it's more than six months since you wrote that, but it raised a chuckle over here.

And it reminds me of one of the RagAberRag T shirts at Aberystwyth University (well, Uni of Wales, Aberystwyth as it was back then):

RagAberRag

Where men are men...

[cartoon sheep picture]

...and sheep are worried!

(Aber is one of the UK's remoter universities - situated about half way down the West Wales coast, about the only regular public transport service back to civilisation is one train every 2 hours - that takes about 4 hours to crawl back to Birmingham via Machynlleth, Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton. Then again, Lampeter's even more remote - it's a half hour bus trip away from Aber and hasn't had a railway line for 40+ years...)

--Ben

This space intentionally left blank.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Outghosting the Ghosts

terrynaut's picture

That was too funny. hehe

I liked how Kylie couldn't let it go, and she even figured it out and got help. Oh what fun!

I think the lunkheads were portrayed as being a little too clever. They don't sound like the type to think of a prank like that. They seem more like the type to throw whatever they could find -- booze bottle perhaps? That sounds like more their speed. *giggle*

Thanks for the fun chapter and please keep up the good work. Please give Bonzi a kitty treat for me.

- Terry

YAY!

I've said it before and I'll say it again mew, I LOVE this story, because Kylie can still be herself without being a stereotype. She's learning there are a million billion different types of men women both neither and other and that's what makes me happy about this story. Sure she questions it mew, like how she wanted to say you all are being girls ((which by the way is not that unlikely for a girl to say to another girl xD)) she thinks things through and still is herself that's what makes this so wonderful mew ^-^

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Recipe for Ice Cubes?

I love it!

Brian seems to be displaying an increasing (slowly) list of redeeming features.

Nice one, Angharad.

Susie

Brilliant

A great story - I have just read all the chapters so far, tonight. Apart from now having red eyes - I have have lovely glow inside me from the story. Thank you - I'm looking forward to the next chapters

Misty

Pay back is worth a few pictures

Jamie Lee's picture

Oh dear, Richard will be on pins and needles after what he did to himself. Wonder if he knows it was all caught on camera? If not, Brian may show him. Brian also has damning evidence that if used against Richard, could get Richard in such hot water.

Many places have curfews for kids of a certain age, unless they are coming from work. How could Brian make it to help Kylie and the girls and not be seen riding his bike? In fact, how was Richard able to slip out without being seen?

One thing is sure, Richard won't go into a cemetery any time soon.

Others have feelings too.