This and That

Printer-friendly version

I'm not much of poet but this is some idle thoughts that came to my mind while waiting in line the last few days. Meter and other terms are a mystery to me and I'm sure that others could do a much better job. However such as it is I thought I would share.

This and That

By

grover


From my first words and my first stumbling steps, I was dressed in blue and told you’re a boy. They do this and they don’t do that.

I wondered why is that?

You must play rough and must be tough. Never should you ever cry a tear. Your toys are trucks and guns and other loud stuff, but never ever a quiet dolly or bear.

I wondered why is that?

Sugar and spice were the things I found I liked. Snail and puppy dog tails were icky and yucky and not at all nice. I wanted nothing to do with anything like that.

I wondered why is that?

I grew older and larger but while things changed on the outside, within things were much the same. Unspoken rules like iron bound me. Boys are like this and Girls are like that.

I wondered why is that?

Then I was grown or so they say. You’re a man and these are the things you must do and say. But all along I have thought and thought about why this must be.

I wondered why is that?

Though the years I have paid a price for my thinking. Many jeered behind my back or insulted me to my face. Those who bothered to look knew all along so why should I care what the blind do not see.

I wondered why is that?

I prefer pink you see and do not like rough. Being nice with spice is just my speed. It does not matter what the outside may seem, inside I have always been the same me.

A girl at heart and never a man at all, and that is that!

The End

up
21 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Grover

The most important thing about poetry isn't the meter or rhyme. They help, but the feeling is more
important. Thank you.

Sarah Lynn

It's funny, actually

Sugar: Never been a big fan of it. My parents complained that they couldn't threaten me with "you'll get no desert".

Spice: Really spicy food burns my tongue, actually. Though sure, I like a little spice in moderation; cinnamon is nice.

Everything nice: That sounds pretty good.

Slugs: Eww.

Snails: Actually, I was fascinated by snails when I was young. Partially because snails have no gender, and partially because their shells are quite pretty.

Puppydog tails: Yay! Puppies! There's something about tail-wagging in dogs I find quite calming and fun.

So...what does that make me?

Human

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

So...what does that make me?

Human

We all are poets

Some how people think poetry has to rhyme.
Poetry is an expression of self and whats going on around you.
I have received certificates for my poetry, but I usually toss them in the trash. I write as I feel, I don't rhyme. Poetry.com under Jill Anglin are a lot of poems I have written one was about my last ex ,I received an award for it and really felt bad. I wrote it to get the angst off my chest.
I enjoyed reading your thoughts, They express a lot of how I felt growing up. I can empathize with you. Pink and periwinkle are two of my favorite colors. I love pink with burgandy.
keep writing poetry it is a good form of therapy.

Jill Micayla
May you have a wonderful today and a better tomorrow

Jill Micayla
Be kinder than necessary,Because everyone you meet
Is fighting some kind of battle.

Poets & lyricists

We are all of us in the gutter,
Some of us are looking at the stars.

Message Of Love
The Pretenders

You always underestimate yourself.

This is a great piece, and the genders are definitely separated at birth. The blue ballon says loud and clear, "It's A Boy!" While the pink ballon proclaims to all who are around that, "It's A Girl!" This is a great way to express yourself in writing, and I agree. Rough, tough, and violent toys are not a good thing, and I would rather have a nice doll I can dress and pretend she is my baby, and a nice teddy bear to sleep with, and lay by my pillow after I have made my bed.

This is really great, and I loved reading it. Thank you for sharing.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,

Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Mother Goose

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

Sugar and spice were the things I found I liked. Snail and puppy dog tails were icky and yucky and not at all nice. I wanted nothing to do with anything like that.

…was an evil and malicious old thing, and not just a silly goose. Unfortunately, believing in her does make it so, in the sense of our having to swim against the tide in opposition to her propaganda. Where she wins is when we find ourselves alone.

"Do you like being Darla?"
 
"More than anything. As David, I don't fit in with boys my own age, or anywhere else. I am no good at any sports where a ball is involved, and as a result, I am excluded from the games and shunned by other boys. I think that my good grades made them dislike me a little also. At home, I was excluded from a close relationship with my sisters because of my sex. My life had been very lonely, with books as my only real companions. While my sisters would be doing fun things together, I would be in my room reading. When I was introduced to the world as a female, I found my place. Mother and the girls know how I feel, as do Gina and Maria. That's why they all accepted my presence here so quickly. As Darla, everybody accepts me. For the first time in my life, I fit in. I don't have to be an athlete to be accepted. I wish that I were born a female. It is the life I would choose if I had the option."
  —‘Texas Gal’ by Crystal Sprite