The Unicorn's Gift - Part 12

Printer-friendly version

Things of lasting value,
always rare, too few,
seldom found among those
that people say are true.

In all these many lands,
for a thousand lives of men,
we all have this in common
It lives in every ken.

Naught there is of value,
is had without a cost.
All truth is dearly purchased
or its value soon is lost.

by

Sarah Lynn Morgan
The Unicorn's Gift
 
      The_Unicorn_s_Gift_0.png
 
Part Twelve

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 
 

     “Syna?”

“Syna, wake up child.”

Dara continued shake Syna’s shoulder gently until her eyes opened to stare back at her dully.

“Whaah…” Syna cleared her throat. “What’s wrong?” She made to throw the covers off and climb to her feet, but Dara held her back. “Is Chandi feeling worse?”

“Chandi is fine. Lessa is sitting with her. She came back this morning to help watch the woman, so that you could sleep a little longer.”

Syna could tell by the hint of irritation that Chandi probably was awake, and complaining.

“I should check her.” Syna proposed, but only slumped back into the thick feather mattress, under the heavy comforter.

It was then she realized that she was not alone. Looking back she found Keely cuddled up to her. Syna could only look up at Dara helplessly.

“Calum carried you in here for me early this morning, although, when I put you to bed, Keely was over there.” Dara indicated the bed over by the window where Keely usually slept in the Summer.

To her credit, Dara only shook her head a little, and said nothing more.

“It’s almost noon, and Chandi’s pair have been asking for you. Maleah seems worried that you are sick in bed, and even though Ladd has tried to tell her you are just tired from caring for her mother, she has still gotten herself upset. Ladd asked if she might see you before he takes them back home with him. Chandi has been telling everyone that with her being down, he needs more time at the farm and not less, and is insisting that the children be taken home as soon as possible. Keene has tried to reassure her that he will make sure that Ladd will have more than enough help, but you know Chandi.”

Syna nodded, but found herself wondering more about the fact that she was wearing a very fine sleeping gown. The first time she changed for bed, after she had fully realized that she had not always been the girl she was now, had been… an experience. She could only imagine Dara’s curiosity.

Then there was Keely, who had just wrapped her arm about her, and pulled her closer to press her lips to the back of her neck as she slept, unaware of her mother hovering over them...

“I’ll let you get yourself ready.” Dara said softly enough so as not to disturb her daughter, and quietly moved to leave the room even before Syna nodded back. “You have a few minutes, because I’ve convinced Ladd not to leave before I’ve given the little ones their lunch, but he’s anxious to go. Don’t take too long.” She silently drew the door behind her.

‘Oh God, Keely is in bed with me!’, Syna groaned to herself, as she never-the-less reached to hold the arm of the larger girl, who was now wrapping her whole body around her.

Syna had almost gotten use to waking up at odd hours of the night to find a certain little fairy snuggled into her neck, or resting on her breasts. Oddly, several of the village cats had also taken to creeping into her window during the night to sleep at her feet, forcing her to treat their fur with chalk and yeast. The cats had minded it less than cook, who’d not understood why Syna had bothered doing such an outlandish thing to cats. She disapproved almost as much, when they began to follow Syna about the Inn during the day as well.

She giggled at the thought of rubbing the mixture all over a protesting Keely, but quickly forgot the image, as she turned over to enable her to stroke the older girl’s hair.

Keely was already awake, and simply said, “I thought she’d never leave,” before she began kissing Syna for several minutes while refusing to allow her to rise.

Waking up with Keely was most definitely not like waking up with farm cats.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

         The common room was not as empty as she expected, but it also seemed to have an odd feel that Syna could not quite place. It took Syna a moment to realize that it was because none of the men were about, other than one or two older souls who were tended and kept company there by the women. Usually, there were several men, widowers and such, who took their meals there, or stable and kitchen boys who would be cleaning with Keely or Dara, but all were absent.

The harvesting had obviously begun in selected fields, or it was just about to, leading the men to make their last minute preparations today, greasing cart wheels and sharpening scythes and such.

What there was, was an abundance of women, several of whom were collecting and packing baskets for the men working in their fields. Some smiled warmly at Syna, but more were too busy to take any notice.

In the kitchen, Arlen and Maleah were seated at a small table eating the meal that Dara had promised. Both ran to give Syna’s waist a tight hug the moment they saw her.

“There, there.” Syna said cheerfully, as she clutched them to her. “What’s all this?”

Maleah’s little frown looked up from her skirts. “Dara said you were helping Momma. She said you were in bed too.” The wet little face disappeared again into her skirts.

“Shhhh, Maleah. Everything will be just fine. Your Momma is going to be just fine, and I promise I’m not sick at all. I was just up very late keeping your mother company. Even though she will be fine soon, her leg still hurts, and she couldn’t sleep. She needed someone to talk to.”

“Momma sat with you?” Arlen asked in a tone that was just short of suspicious.

“All night, Arlen.” Syna didn’t try to explain any further, hoping it would be enough because she had not gotten that much sleep herself, and did not feel like explaining.

“Momma does not like you like we do, Syna. She ha…” Even Arlen’s sometimes over-ample supply of bravery failed him at that point, causing Syna to pull him closer as well.

“Oh, Arlen.” Syna squeezed him, with a new and profound respect for the pains that parent’s pass to their children. “Your momma does not hate me. She’s just a person who feels angry sometimes at little things, and sometimes for no reason at all. I don’t think she hates me, and you shouldn’t think that either. I know your Momma is really a good woman. It’s just that when she’s upset, we just have to be extra nice so she doesn’t feel that way any more.”

“She hit you with a rock. She made you run away.”

“I didn’t run away because of your mother, and as for the rock, well everyone does hurtful things that they regret sometimes. She said she was sorry, and she promised not to do that again, so it’s time to forget about it. It’s just not important anymore.”

Arlen looked at her for a moment, as a child sometimes will when they are trying to determine if this adult is telling the truth. Fortunately, the boy seemed to believe, because he quickly pulled her down and kissed her cheek before hugging her about the neck.

“We always liked you.” He whispered.

Looking down, she rubbed Maleah’s back harder. “And what’s troubling you little miss?”

Maleah just shook her head without pulling her face from the folds of Syna’s skirt.

“Come now, Maleah. I can’t help if you don’t tell me what’s wrong.”

Maleah looked up, now wiping her tears on Syna’s skirt and her own sleeve. “The lady said that you would have to cut momma’s leg off, and that she would die.”

The little face disappeared again, followed by a soft pleading “Please, Syna, don’t cut momma’s leg…”

Syna looked up in shock to see Dara back in the kitchen door staring at them, her face masked by the anger she was feeling over the foolish comment that had been tragically overheard.

Now Syna understood why Dara had changed her mind about keeping the little ones at the inn while Chandi recovered enough to move about on her own, and while the men were busy working the fields. Clearly she now felt it was better that they be at their own home, even it meant finding yet more women to watch over them there. It also explained why the women had all been banished from the kitchen, where they would ordinarily have been invited to pack baskets for the groups of men who were out working in their fields.

Syna was angry too, but she was more heartbroken for the child.

Arlen reached over to pet his sisters head. “Mal, Dara said that Syna is to be our new healer. She’s helping Momma.”

“Maleah.” Syna said softly, coaxing Maleah and Arlen both to look at her now. “Your Momma’s leg is going to be just fine. It just hurts a little, but it’s already started to get a whole lot better. She just needs to have the boards tied to it for a fortnight or so, to help the bone heal straight and strong. I am not going to have to do anything to your momma’s leg. That lady was mistaken, and she never should have said such a thing.”

The little girl, unlike Arlen, was clearly still unsure if what she was hearing were yet more empty assurances by an adult. She was too young to realize that she now thought of Syna as one, and not just as the much larger child who’d always found time to play. The foolish comments had shaken her to her foundation and she was clutching for any strength she could find.

“Maleah.” Syna said gently, causing the girl to give the slightest shake. “Have I ever told you a fib?”

The girl thought for a moment, but then shook her head, her eyes fixed now on Syna.

“I promise you, your Momma is going to be just fine. Her leg is already healing. She just needs to rest now so it won’t hurt so much, and her leg will be all better before you know it. All she needs now is for people to be nice to her so she doesn’t feel sad, and to keep her a little company.”

The little girls eyes were large because they were so filled by the struggle to believe.

“Do you believe me, little miss?”

Finally the girl nodded before pressing her face into the front of Syna’s vest.

“Thank you for helping Momma.” She whispered.

“Oh, Maleah, that was my pleasure.” Syna said, hugging them. “Now, I want you to go and finishing eating the lovely stew that cook make for our lunch, and I’ll have some with you. After that, I think I just may be able to find some sweet pies. Would you like that”

The children mumbled their assent, and began moving back toward the table. Syna was looking back at Dara again, who’s eyes had seemed to say that she’d already taken care of the careless woman’s loose tongue, but she was long gone before Syna had reached the pot of stew for her own portion.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          “Keene asked me to speak to you.” Syna heard as she felt Dara’s hand on her.

Syna raised her brows slightly, but did not look up from gently rewrapping Chandi’s leg. It was the first time that anyone had ever used that phrase to her.

Syna gently lifted the leg of the sleeping woman, and placed it on an additional pillow before draping the coverlet to keep her comfortable. Keeping the wound high to ease pain was an old trick, that worked well.

Even in this, Dara was amazed. Last night had been the worst. Three days after the accident, Chandi’s leg was healthy and pink, and although she was obviously on the mend, she was still in a great deal of pain as Syna was giving her less of the powerful mixtures that had made her sleep. Chandi was actually doing her best not to complain, but near morning, Syna had seen the need to give her another large dose.

Through it all, the thing that amazed Dara so, was the way that Chandi had been reacting to Syna.

Her eyes still watched the girl whenever she was in the room. To Dara’s mind, it was hard to say if the look was one of guilt, or if it was a dislike that would never be fully mended. However, whenever anyone else approached to attend her, Chandi tensed up, visibly fearful of being caused more pain. When Syna touched her, despite her bleak and enigmatic regard for the child, Chandi visibly relaxed as if instinctively certain now that Syna was the one person who would never cause her any pain.

It was remarkable.

Syna leaned over to whisper quietly into cooks ear where she had found a quiet spot to rest after preparing so much food that morning. Despite seemingly dozing in her chair, Cook nodded her head. Syna gathered her things, and quietly walked out past Dara.

As young as she was, Syna looked tired. The proximity of the woman had to be physically draining on the girl, but even so, Syna’s only response had been expressed as concerns for the woman’s well being. Syna was sitting with her long into the night, then immediately on rising, and even before she had dressed for the day, she would take herself to Chandi’s side to search for the least sign of danger.

Fortunately, under the girl’s exquisite care, Chandi had made a remarkable improvement. Only twice before had Dara seen such an injury, and both of those people had died, one after first enduring the torment of having the limb removed. That Chandi was so obviously mending at all was a near miracle, and even she would think so too, had she not witnessed the simple and logical steps Syna had diligently made while saving the woman.

Dara followed Syna down the stairs.

Ever since Syna had returned, the inn was much busier than usual, with many of their patrons spending the dinner hours either resting from or making plans for the harvest that was finally beginning. All eyes followed the girls wherever they went. Syna and Keely both just pretended not to notice.

Thankfully very few seemed anything other then pleased to watch the girls work.

Matching Syna’s turn away from the common room, she found Keely was in the kitchen supervising a boy who was basting and turning pork that Dara had placed on the fire for the evening meal soon to be upon them. In doing so, Keely was giving cook a little time to rest, since much of the burden in feeding the crowds had fallen on the capable much older woman.

Fortunately, the people who had moved about to help various friends and relatives with the harvest were already in place. The wagons and carts of produce that would be moving down the roads in a few more days had yet to pass, so the extra people were for now only a small and pleasant burden. When the harvest had properly begun, many of these good folk would be too tired to leave their fields for anyplace other than their own beds, or in a few cases, a convenient haystack. A few days of that, three at most, and they would be ravenous, and much in need of more food to keep them on their feet and working through the weeks that followed.

Unlike Syna, who was tiredly sorting out items for cleaning or the slop pile, Keely was looking far better than she had since Syna’s disappearance. She smiled at her mother, before once more taking a moment to reach out and place her hand on the boy’s to turn the crank he held at the proper speed for the height of the newly stoked fire. Dara continued to watch with approval of Keely’s patience for a few moments, before she then proceeded examine Syna critically.

She moved with a mother’s instinct to set out a small piece of sweet pie, and a cup of cool milk, for each of the girls.

Dara knew that Keely’s high spirits were doubtless due to her finding her daughter cuddled up to Syna whenever Dara had been able get their new healer into a bed. It more-or-less proved two things that all women instinctively knew: First, that healers were the worst patients of all, and second, that once a daughter had set her heart on someone she loved, it left her mother with very little to do.

Syna had hardly eaten for the first two days before anyone had noticed, so amazed they all had been at her expertise in saving the woman. No doubt, this accounted for some of her fatigue, but now that Keely had taken it upon herself to make sure Syna was well cared for, things were much better on that score. The girl was simply growing tired.

“Come outside with me, Syna. I’ve already spoken to Keely.” Dara said, putting her hands on Syna’s shoulders, and steering her out toward the quiet near the stone wall, and the residual warmth of the full morning sun.

Syna looked at here only briefly, before stretching and leaning her back on the wall.

“Keene is out with the men, so he asked me to explain a few things to you about your new duties.” Dara told her flatly, causing Syna to look back up at Dara in surprise.

“The most important is that your first duty is to make sure that you don’t hurt yourself trying to do everything…”

Syna felt for a moment that she should protest, but a look from Dara killed all desire in her to do so.

“As a healer, you are very important. We need you. As soon as the danger for someone has passed, you need to rest. It’s the harvest. Any of the men folk might just as easily be injured, and need you at any time. Keene wants you to get some rest as soon as possible. So do I.”

Syna never even looked like she would respond in the negative. It was a stark testament to her growing maturity, and to her fatigue. Her only response was to let her shoulders slumped slightly as she nodded in agreement with the Elder’s request.

She was very tired.

“You don’t have to worry about Chandi when you are not with her.” Dara continued in a much more comforting, and praising tone. “After what you did for the woman, I promise you that any instructions you give will be followed exactly by whomever is watching over her. There are a good many women in this village who are able to look after her now, and have been caring for sick people a lot longer than you have.”

Syna nodded again. It was very true that given the talents of the old healer, or the lack thereof, many of the women in the valley had learned to care for people better than he had ever been able to do, the poor soul.

“How long before the danger is past for Chandi?” Dara asked finally.

“I think it is past already. The wound on her leg is healing well, and as long as it’s kept clean and dry, there should be little risk of it becoming corrupt. The pain is already much less than it was. It only seems worse because she is so tired. She is mending very quickly, probably due to her stub… steadfast nature.”

“You’ll have to explain all of that to me some day, except for the part where she’s too mean to die, but for now I’m going to ask Keely to take you home. Now, I want you to go back inside and eat something, and I’ll have one of the stable boys catch you a horse. Unless you would prefer a trap?”

Syna took a moment to shake her head, showing how tired she was. Never had the adults shown so much consideration of her. The thought of someone setting up a cart for her was novel indeed. A few weeks before, she was a child who would be left to walk under most circumstances.

The thought must have shown on her face, causing Dara to laugh, and to pull the her into a motherly hug.

“It’s so easy for us to forget how young you are, Syna.”

Dara could feel Syna relax against her, as she lay her head on top of the girls.

“I’m so proud of you.”

They did use the trap. Syna was already asleep before Keely reached the straight road leading to the path to her father’s farm.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     Syna and Keely had been working on the little cottage for a full seven days, and it was quickly acquiring the same neat homey feel that filled the rooms of their parent’s homes. It had mostly been their hard work, but the donations of furnishings by the women of the village, grateful for the near miraculous skills of their new healer, helped more than a little.

In fact, it had all gone amazingly well, save for the looks that the girls had caught on the faces of some of the younger men, when they were about together, but not even these would speak ill even when no adults were in earshot.

Keely, true to form, had simply taken over. Insisting, amongst other things, that the slightly smaller girl always ride in front of her when on horseback, and always held her close as if she were too valuable to risk in a fall. On shorter journeys, when they walked, she would inevitably take Syna’s hand. Even when it was time to rest, either girl would find a place right next to the other.

Through it all, there was Keely. In quiet moments when Syna was working about the cottage or the inn, she would suddenly find Keely’s hands sliding about her waist, or her lips on the back of her neck. She knew that Keely had become not only her lover, but her keeper as well. Cups of tea, or little morsels would appear where she was working, sometimes with displays of affection, and other times unobtrusively without pomp.

Thus, the work about and on the new place was getting done at a good pace, even if you took into account the time of year. Whenever not called on to help with the harvesting, or to tend to one of the villagers, Syna would spend her time collecting and organizing herbs she needed.

When Keene and several boys had come to her father’s cabin to escort them to their new home, the girls were surprised to discover that the smith had lead a number of the now scarce men and women in the valley in cleaning, and making the needed repairs to the cottage even before the harvest had begun before Syna had left the Inn.

He’d assured Syna that the repairs had been few enough, and had been easily accomplished by only those villagers who were waiting to begin the harvest in those days when Syna had tended Chandi so closely that she had never noticed. Afterwards, Keene had also somehow rounded up some of the younger men and boys to help do whatever else was needed, such as cleaning out the well when Syna had suggested that it would be a much cleaner source of water than the stream.

The new cottage itself was unusual in that it had an open room or covered roof on the west side overlooking a stream that ran from the pool beneath the cliff. The stream was one of only a few that came down the cliffs so low in the valley, and its pool was very similar the one where Syna met Aida.

What the little cottage did not have was the larger cleared space that Syna was used to seeing around the small cottages spread about the valley. The colored leaves of the forest pressed in on two sides, with the steep stone side of the valley covering another. That was why the place had lain fallow, not having open spaces large enough for a proper farm. On the other hand, it did have a small dry barn across the yard, and the clearings nearby that were more than sufficient to graze a few animals, and for good vegetable gardens.

There were also the remains of two smaller kitchen gardens, and a few clearings in the nearby forest that would suffice for herbs and spices and such. All in all, the two girls would easily be able grow much of what they might need for just the two of them, even though all of the adults assured them that neither girl would ever have a need beyond what the larger farms and villagers would provide their healer. Already much of the available storage was being filled with the choicest parts of the harvest that had been gathered so far.

Syna also found that another advantage of being tucked near the side of the valley, with the water and the forest so close. It was the perfect place for her to find much of what she needed in the small places where so few others sought to look. On two of the last three afternoons, she had walked through these nearer areas with Green Eyes and several of the little ones who pointed out many plants that grew there unnoticed, and unknown to the human folk. A few grew out of her reach, but that proved no problem at all, as one of several little ones always seemed near and willing to fetch what she needed, provided she could indicate the required plant sufficiently.

Soon, she planned to walk down to the river with Green Eyes, and across to the other side valley, but even in her small corner of the valley, she was amazed at the number of plants that she now noticed whenever she walked anywhere. It made her a little sad to think that if the old healer had only known…

Syna looked at her surroundings with a smile. The cottage was clean and dry, and if still a little sparse in its furnishings, it really did have much of the warm and comfortable feel of her father’s cabin or the Inn.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

         
Syna had been busy sorting out a large collection of bottles, and small covered pots that were Keene’s latest project. He’d had had several of the older children collect them from Braelan’s cottage, both for her use and to keep them out of Braelan’s reach, and they had cleaned them out for her.

Syna was mortified at the thought of children having done so, once she got a look at the few labels on the vessels that she could decipher, but was quickly and thankfully assured that Dara had somehow found the time needed to watch over them as they worked. Dara had apparently sent the boys back to wash them again twice after they were cleaned, and had made sure that the contents had been buried deep enough that they could cause no further harm.

Several of the medicines had been kept by The Elder, or had been returned intact to the collection by the villagers to whom they had been given by the old healer; however, none appeared to be of any real use. Or at least, to the use that they had been intended.

Some of the labels were really fearfully worrisome for Syna, who was concerned their alleged contents might have been quite dangerous. Of so many others, she just had no idea what they might be. So, in the end, all had been emptied, and the contents likewise buried deep.

Looking about, Syna realized that even with all the useful plants she had learned, Syna had no idea how she might ever need so many. It took her a little more time to realize, that most of these little pots were seldom in the healer’s actual possession, spending much of the time in the homes of the villagers, just as they had been before being returned for the use of the new healer. It seemed likely that they would be put to the same use by Syna, as she carefully packed them by type to be stored on some shelves in a small barn behind the cottage.

Just that morning, several of the village men, including the smith and her father, had taking advantage of the end of vegetable harvest closest to the village to come and inspected the barn’s small hearth and chimney. Even they were amazed at the progress that had been made. The cottage was beautiful, even if it only had a small cleared field in which to grow things.

Most surprising to them was, that as soon as one of the men had tilled the soils in the smaller garden areas in the same way they were doing the harvested fields before the cold winter for easier planting in the spring; the fields seem to magically sprout many of the strange herbs that could be purposely grown in the cooler season, and that Syna might need to cultivate in quantity. What was harder to explain than this, the little fairies planting herbs, were the flowers that appeared just as suddenly and plentifully around the cabin.

It was all so well organized, that it took Syna’s breath away, almost as much as it strained Keely’s good natured acceptance that there were many things happening around Syna that she could never explain.

Such was the look on Keely’s face when Syna turned to find the older girl staring at her again.

Love made all the difference though, and Keely just smiled, and stepped forward to take the crate of bottles out to the barn, but not before taking a moment to press her lips briefly to Syna’s cheek.

“Come, I want to show you something.”

Syna followed along the short walk to the barn, where Syna was surprised to find that Bayford was standing inside the door eating some of the excess fresh fodder that her father had stored there.

“He was standing over by the trees. I think he remembers me from the Inn, because darned if he didn’t come right up to sniff me, and then he just followed me inside, pretty as you please.”

On seeing Syna, he quickly moved to press his soft muzzle to her cheek, before moving back to the convenient fodder.

“Would you like me to try and put him in a stall?” Keely asked.

“No.” Syna took a moment to pet the animal, while Keely began stacking the bottles and pots on the shelves nearby. “There is no need. I think he’d go into one if I asked him to, but he’s been on his own so long, that I don’t think that we need worry about him. I think he just likes me.” Syna grinned.

“You think so?” Keely laughed as the horse whinnied a soft approval of Syna scratching technique. “He doesn’t look like a horse that’s been on his own to me, though. He looks so much better than he did last year.”

Both girls had seen horses that had run free. Most were caught again, or simply came home to the easy care, but none had looked like Bayford. Syna had seen the look that Keely now gave her before as well, but fortunately it was a look that did not expect an explanation.

“I’ll leave the door propped open, and a little feed for him in the manger. It’s a wonder he’s not fat, the greedy thing.” She said, but with a gladness that the animal was so much better than the last time she’d seen him.

“I wanted to show you this as well.” Keely said, as she moved to start a small fire in the little hearth that lay in the corner away from the stalls. “I’ve never seen one like this before. It looks like they used it for a forge as well,” she said, moving a small metal door that fit the pins set in the side of the hearth, which the men had found propped up on a beam at the back of the barn. It seemed that the Smith had spent some time studying the unusual design, causing some smiles from the other men.

In general, animals would be better off without the heat, but this design might prove quite useful on the coldest nights.

Moving outside, Keely caught a movement off near the trees, but because she was used to the birds flying to the water, she did not turn quickly enough to notice anything unusual. Syna, of course, recognized the movement.

“Look there.” Keely said then, in a whisper.

Syna had already seen the fawn that stood near the corner of the barn shaking. She realized immediately that the only way the creature would ever come so near, was if it had been lead by the fairies. Moving slowly, she bent low as she stepped toward the animal. Several times she had to stop all together, to keep the little thing from fleeing back onto the trees, but finally she was close enough to see that there was blood on it’s fur at it’s hind leg.

To the amazement of both, the little creature took the last steps to Syna.

“Oh, you poor little thing.” Syna cooed softly. “Where is your mother?”

Keely, amazed as she was, found it prophetic that the girl would say just that, just then, but was further amazed as the little thing pressed it’s shiny black nose to Syna, as the girl carefully picked the creature up.

“He’s been hurt, Keely. Would you get me a cloth and some warm water from the hearth? I also need that small red pot I put by the window, the one with the salve that I used on the boy’s hand.”

Keely nodded, and quickly went to get the required items, shaking her head. Clearly living with Syna was going to be remarkable in ways that she had never even imagined.

No sooner was Keely gone, than Aida, Blue-Eyes, and several of the smaller fairies fluttered in to comfort and calm the little creature.

“Did you bring him to me?” Syna asked, realizing it was a very silly question.

Blue-eyes responded immediately. “You have what he needs closer, and ‘Green-Eyes’ is…away. The little ones found him near here. We think he fell on the side of the valley. I’ve sent the little ones to look for his mother…”

“Is this it?” Keely was back, and her smaller friends ones had seemingly vanished.

“So, you are going to be treating animals too?” Keely said, watching the small thing move closer to Syna’s feet at her entrance, from where it had been poking around the corners of the barn.”

“Healers always treat animals, Love.” Syna said while taking the things from her. “Even Braelan treated our animals. Healing is healing.”

“Only when the poor beast was tied up and couldn’t get away, and you know that’s not what I meant, Princess. I mean wild animals that come out of the forest on their own, and come to find the healer by themselves. If anyone see this, they are going to talk, Syna.”

“Let them,” Syna said without audible rancor, “It will be a nice change from the way they talk about how I’ve changed, or about the way you’ve taken to hanging on me every chance you get.”

“Oh? Tell me, do you wish me to stop touching you?”

Even in the shadow inside, Keely could see Syna blushing.

“Don’t be silly.” Syna said simply, carefully ignoring Keely’s smile as she began to gently clean the wound on the little thing’s leg and hind quarters.

It trembled, but made no attempt to get away as Syna wiped the wound with a warm wet cloth. To Keely, it seemed like it reacted as it might had it’s mother licked the wound clean. It trembled more, as Syna applied a small amount of the salve to the creature, knowing that if it were needed, Green Eyes would probably see to it that it was done again in a few days.

When she was finished, she gently caressed the little thing’s head between its neck and ears, causing it to turn once more to press its little wet nose to her, before walking off shaking its limbs and tail as if it were wearing breeches that did not quite fit.

Keely was laughing then, causing Syna to watch her helplessly.

“That was even more amazing then what you did with Chandi. If you keep this up, grandfather Keene is going to run out of silly excuses long before you stop surprising people by doing things like that.” She laughed again, and hugged Syna, before she bent to pick up the items on the ground. “Not that he’d like to know why there were flowers on your pillow yesterday morning, and how you managed to have the time to plant herbs in the front garden when I wasn’t looking?”

“It was just a baby, Keely. It might have walked up to anyone.”

“No it wouldn’t. Are you sure you are not an angel, sent here to take the place of my friend Dyre?” Keely patted her affectionately, sending her toward the cottage where food that was waiting. “Come on Princess.” she said. “You’ve not eaten since morning.”

“Princess?” Syna asked, realizing that Keely had called her that twice now.

“Yeah. It seems to fit somehow now. Not only are you a girl, but there is something about the way you move, and smile all the time. You remind me of one of those princesses in the fairytales, who charm everyone all the time, and get saved by the prince in the end. I never really believed any of those stories, because I thought they were just silly - until I came to live here with you.”

“Please, Keely. Don’t call me…” Keely’s lips were on hers

“Your wish is my command.” She laughed as she lead Syna back to their table with an arm about her waist.

“Princess.”

From that day, seldom did more than a week go by without some small animal showing up in their yard, needing attention. Most things were quite minor, but a few were more serious. Syna proved able to help the vast majority.

They always seemed to know when she was there. Sometimes Keely would see them first on the occasions that she did not accompany Syna on her journeys into the woods to gather. At those times the animals would bob in and out of sight in the trees until Syna returned.

Even though Syna was gladly teaching Keely many of the common herbs around the cottage, showing her which parts to collect from them and how to prepare the medicines, she would still wander off alone every few days, returning tiredly some hours later.

Then too, every few days, Syna would walk down into the village to check on those who were in her care, a handful of whom had contracted little illnesses at the turning of the season, or who had less fortunately injured themselves during the harvest.

Several times too, people had shown up at their door for Syna, once in the night when a baby was ill, but all had been cured easily. There were frequent enough visitations by their friends, and artisans bring them little things in payment, that the sound of hoofs on the path that led up the hillside did not fill them with any other sense than pleasure.

All told, neither Keely nor Syna could imagine a more pleasant life as they watched the valley change to the quiet of the later fall, while they walked together hand-in-hand.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     The heavy hoof beats on the path told both girls that Jada was on his way up their path. He had been there before of course, in the times that he was not watching and carefully memorizing the way that Keene had organized a collective harvest about the valley, but he had always come accompanied, by the smith or their fathers, or Keene, or more rarely by Dara. This time, as he turned the last corner that had hidden him in the trees, they could see that he was alone.

“Ah!, you see Mr. Balderdash. No need for your pessimism. I told you we’d find them here or on the road.” He said as he slipped off of his companion’s back. “Glad I am of it too, finding myself in the company of the two loveliest ladies in the kingdom.” He said, embarrassing them both by kissing each of their hands in turn, before standing straight to smile.

The smile seemed slightly out of place with his eyes, though, Keely noted, and he seemed to forget to drop Syna’s hand for quite a bit longer than he had held Keely’s, although he had petted hers with no mean affection as well.

“And to what do we owe this honor, my lord?” Keely asked.

For his part, Jada looked quickly over his shoulders, fearful that some unknown spirit might have overheard, as there were none nearer than her father’s farm.

“Please, my lady. I have asked you before, to remember that I am on a secret duty to the chancellor, and would appreciate it if you would remember to simply call me ‘Jada,” he reminded. Where before he might have been ostentatious in the folly of his feigned subterfuge, now he seemed as if his heart was not in it.

“On the other hand, the cook asked me to bring you this.” He said as he carefully lifted a sack from the side of his saddle, and opened it carefully on the ground. Out popped the heads of two of the cats that had attached themselves to Syna.

Syna laughed, causing his smile to reach his eyes finally.

“In fact, I have come with some disagreeable news, but had forgotten it momentarily while arguing with my worrisome friend here,” he indicated the horse who was having his cheek rubbed by Syna, while not yet having decided to move toward the manger he was eyeing.

“And why would you be arguing with the poor creature, Jada?” Syna asked him. “Don’t you lose most of the arguments with him? I should think you would learn your lesson after all this time.”

They both grinned at him, causing him to acknowledge the point with a nod.

“In all fairness, lady, that is usually because he resorts to violence more often than I, being of far less gentle nature than myself; and it bears remembering that never once has he beaten me in one of these contests of wrestling with the thumbs.”

Both girls laughed.

For her part, Keely thought it was just too hard not to like the man, even though she could not name men in number more than the fingers on her hand that she liked as well. She knew he loved Syna, but he had never done anything to give any offence to either young woman, and had done more than enough to earn their genuine respect and friendship.

“Well come then.” Keely invited, because Syna was still giggling as he placed her hand on his arm. “We were about to take a walk down to the inn, but we have more than enough time to offer you something after such a long and arduous journey for poor mister Sir Balderdash.”

Both Jada’s brows rose, and he changed the subject as if no other conversation had taken place. “I assure you, that I only ask to find out which of the heavenly arts I would be sampling, as I appreciate both of your skills equally, but I am curious as to which overwhelming delight I’ll be sampling with you…”

“Syna cooked, Jada.” Keely said taking his other arm while trying to keep up as they ‘lead him’ to the hearth, “and you know that she cooks far better than I.”

“Perhaps you think so, and with some good reason I am sure, but I can assure you, lady, that I would kill any man who failed to praise your own fine… Meat pies! How fortunate it was that I came along just as they broke into the cottage to threaten you…”

He had eaten two, and had a good cup of wine, before he settled down enough for them to speak freely on the issue that hung so clearly about him like a sadness.

“May the saints be praised,” he said in complete seriousness for the first time. “I confess that the food at the inn is as fine as any I’ve had, but that which you ladies provide in unsurpassed by any delicacy I have heard tell of. My only regret is that I will not be able to tell anyone else, for fear that they might take the morsel that was more justly mine.”

“Is that whey you were arguing with Mr. Balderdash, Jada?” Syna asked him, gently, because he was now ready to talk.

He looked very sad just then.

“It was. You see the poor soul has been depressed of late, because I’ve received word that I’m needed by the chancellor, and it would not do for me to be away from my own estates when the end of my own harvest is gathered. They are not as efficient as you good folk, and although I trust them, it is possible that I might find my silage contains less than the final tally recorded if I tarry longer.”

Very sad indeed, so much so that Syna reached out for his arm again.

“The silly brute is depressed you see. He…” Jada did not meet their eyes at first. “He likes it here.”

There was silence for several moments before Keely finally broke it.

“I wish you did not have to go.”

Even Jada could not hide his surprise at the sentiment, as he shared a look of both gratitude and mutual understanding with her.

Syna was far less surprised, because they had spoken of Jada often, Keely and she, and both had a clear understanding of the issues that involved.

Keely shook her head at his reaction, with only a very, very, little scorn. “Did you think I would be so cruel, Jada?” She asked, her eyes flashing, but she reached out to pat his other arm to soften the sharpness of her answer.

All poor Syna could do, was to look back and forth between them, when she did not find herself looking at the table in between. For someone who had been quietly convinced that she would grow up quietly and desperately alone, her fortunes had changed far too much for her to be able to cope.

There were no little songs for this situation simply because her little friends had never felt the need of same. Such things were easier for them.

“Don’t worry.” Keely said, still patting him sympathetically. “I know full well that you love her, perhaps almost as much as I do, if that were possible. I can’t bring myself to hate you for something that I am helpless to keep from doing myself.”

The man looked back and forth between them and then at Keely before he took a sip of wine, and tried to speak.

“I have tried to be…” He shook his head.

“You have been wonderful, Jada” Syna finally spoke. “I can never repay even the few of your many kindnesses to me, and to Keely.”

She looked across the table briefly at Keely, to receive an imperceptible nod of encouragement.

“Did you think that I…, have no affection for you?” She was surprised that it had all come out in one breath, it having been so constrained by the look on the man’s face.

Jada seemed to make a decision then. “My desire to see that you both receive the happiness you so obviously deserve was my genuine interest.” He looked at them both before turning back to look in Syna’s eyes.

“I know that you are happy, and you must believe that so great is my affection for you, that I can not find it in my heart to otherwise hope — but I do love you. I believe I have since I watched you walk from your fathers cabin to your well.”

He glanced at Keely, who true to her nature looked very frightened, but also nodded at him to continue. Not surprisingly, though, that feat was too great to allow her to form the smile that she so desperately wished she could put on in that moment.

He continued. “You were singing. Even my silly horse was enthralled, and stood under me just watching you. I had never seen a sight so lovely, Syna, and since that very day, you have compounded my damnation by becoming even more beautiful with each and every sunrise, and twice again at sunset.”

He shook his head into a silence that was deep enough that a human might hear a fairy’s wings up amongst the leaves in the trees.

“I have known many women, kind ladies, many of whom were reputed by all to be without equal. How could I tell anyone that they only thought so because they knew not of you.” He gestured to include them both. “They would take their own lives to risk the fires of hell in their despair.”

He shook himself one last time, as he rose to retrieve the flask of wine from the sideboard, and leave them sitting there alone.

Keely reached out to take Syna’s hand while Jada’s back was turned.

“I could not leave without telling you.” He finished behind them.

Syna could feel Keely squeezing her hand, but dared not look at her.

“That is not why I’m leaving; though it is reason enough that I fear that my very existence might cause you even the slightest discomfort, but t’is true that my parting will tear my very soul. So, now that I have, for some reason known only to God himself, told you that which I swore I would not, I come to the metal of my journey into your most lovely company…”

He turned and leaned against the sideboard, looking at his own feet. “I must leave, but before doing so, I hoped to beg the boon that I might also be welcomed back. I can live knowing you are happy here together, but not if I could not count you as friends.” he smiled at them both slightly even though neither girl looked back. “I had hoped that I could see you again, if only to know that you both are well, and to remember to you that I will always remain your most humble, and most honorable, servant.”

There were spots before her eyes, and a ringing in her ears that belayed the existence of all silences. There might well have been a pitched battle out by the barn, and Syna would not have found it any harder to hear the hoarse whisper from Keely.

“You must tell him, my love.” came softly to her ears, in a tone that tore her heart.

Looking back across the small table, as if to convince herself of the fact that Keely had indeed spoken, she was terrified that Keely had begun to rise!

“Lady, stay!” Jada implored, standing straight and moving to the door. “It is I who must go. Please forgive my insult to you in begging a kindness that I have no right to ask of either of you, but I will still beg you further to stay. I have no stain on my soul so black as I would gain by driving you away, and it is a memory that I could not hope to endure. I confess that I do truly feel that your love for Syna is as plain to me as my own. It is only your kindness toward that allows me to speak of it at all.”

He stood with is hand on the rope, but did not pull it till he was sure he had not caused some calamity by his coming.

“I’m not going anywhere, Jada.” Keely said softly, as she paused to squeeze Syna’s shoulder, and to kiss the top of her head. .

“Syna.” She said softly. “I know your heart almost as well as you. I’ve come to believe that all has its purpose. Please speak now. If you let him leave now unanswered, that sin would be on my soul, and yours. Tell me, and him, what you want. In truth, he can give you… things that I never can. Things that I feel that you will truly need. I don’t know why I know, save perhaps for some very silly dreams I’ve had of late, but I do know. I promise you, my love, that for my part I will stay for as long as you will have me, and not one moment more. You must speak”

Syna was up then, and had moved to embrace Keely so tightly that Jada found in it the courage to lift the latch on the door.

“Jada?” She called softly on hearing the latch.

When Syna spoke, he had to turn back to see her.

“Would you tell Mr. Balderdash something for me?”

“I will.” Came his lusterless answer.

“Tell him that he does not have to feel forlorn. When he does return, he can stay here. I know our little barn is not as fine as the marbled and gilded halls he is accustomed to, but it’s warm and dry, and has food even enough for him. I would miss him too much should he stay away.”

“Thank you, Lady.” Jada’s voice sounded flat. “It would be a great kindness to the sentimental old thing.”

“It’s no kindness at all, My Lord, since you will be welcomed here too, whenever you wish to return…,”

Jada began to smile faintly.

“…because.... Keely spoke aright. My heart would break if I thought I might never see you again. This is all so new to me. It’s hard to understand, but I am sure I have that affection for you.”

“Then, you want me to stay?” Keely asked her, confident of the answer, but asking anyway.

Syna nodded and reached back with her own hand. “Could I live without my heart?” Syna said simply.

“No.” Keely sighed. “And, don’t look at me that way, Jada. I have no idea how any of this will work, but I know it’s better than you and I having to fight for her on the common. I could not risk to lose her in any way, but to such unhappiness would be worth my very soul. I just don’t think she has it in her to lose anyone that she loves right now. She might not survive, and I fear for her to lose any ally after the talk I had with our elder.”

“When did you become so wise?” Syna asked her the question that also lay in Jada’s eyes.

“I’m not from the country like you, my lovely girl. I’ve lived at the inn in the village.” She laughed just enough that they could tell that she had. “Besides, I’m a year older than you, so I’ve been doing this girl thing much longer than you have.”

Jada was looking at her still, in gratitude and awe..

“So!” Keely concluded, “I have not idea how any of this is going to work, Jada, but we will make it do just that, as long as you remember that you and I are just good friends.”

Jada nodded, and laughed along with the small chuckle coming from Syna, at this most generous of conditions. He had known some of Keely’s ilk. Although he felt he could not fully understand her desires, he was even less prepared to fully grasp the degree of her generosity - or her love. However, he was grateful for it.

Good.” Keely said. “Now I think I could use some more wine.”

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

         They talked long enough for Mr. Balderdash to stop eating. Jada would return as soon as he could, and the details would fend for themselves. Somehow.

“When do you have to leave?” Syna asked him finally as they accompanied him out to his horse.

“I was supposed to meet the elder at the inn at sunset.” He said, looking at a sky just to count the stars. In the west, there were clouds

“That’s not what I meant.” She sighed.

“I know. I had planned to wait through tomorrow, if it feels like rain, but the day after tomorrow we leave, fair or foul.”

“I wish you didn’t have to go…” Syna said, sadly.

“That goes for me as well…” Keely added kindly.

“I must. I’m expected in seven days, and it may take four or five to get there this time of year. I have no choice in the matter. Still, the going is easier, now that I know I can return.”

Syna nodded that she understood.

“I have something else for you.” He said reaching into the bag on Mr. Balderdash’s back. “Keene gave it to me for you. It seems as if the old healer had some books and manuscripts on healing in his cottage, much good they did him.”

Keely chuckled. “None at all, I assure you. I don’t think he reads very well.”

Everyone chuckled along, feeling badly about it.

“No! I’m serious. When he was staying at the inn, and they asked him about some of the bottles, he had to compare it to a list in one of those papers that had symbols beside the names on one of the pages before he could answer. I don’t think he can read near as well as my mother taught Syna or I. We had a good teacher, and in Syna’s case, she had two. Her mother taught my mother how to read and write, though only the gods know where she learned how.”

Syna was surprised by this vision of Braelan, but she realized it was true from some of the things she had seen. She was surprised that it was something she had never noticed, or that Keene would not have spent the time to teach him better. It was impossible that he did not know of it. Unfortunately, there was no way she could ask without offending the elder, but it seemed as if Braelan might be one of those who had difficulty learning such things. Remarkable, given his vocation.

Looking down at the bundle, she was amazed to see it contained not only parchments written in many hands, but even several books older than anyone could know.

Keely asked him, “Will you tell my mother and father that we decided to stay here tonight?”

“I will.” Jada said as he kissed Syna, on the cheek, and pulled himself up into the saddle. “I will also tell them they have a most remarkable daughter.”

“So long as that’s all you tell them.” Keely warned.

Jada chuckled. “Discretion is the only course when you have no idea what is going on, Keely. It’s a lesson the good folk of this valley have reminded me of daily.”

Keely and Syna both nodded at his wise choice.

“Good luck though.” Keely said with a sad smile. “I don’t think I ever got a lie past my mother of any size, and if you plan not to tell her one of that girth, I doubt you’ll fair better.”

“I have no fear, Keely. I first got the idea of not trying to explain any of this from her. She told me that it would have to sort itself out.”

Syna chuckled softly as she steered a mumbling Keely back through the cottage door.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     Syna spend the evening by the fire looking over the manuscripts. For most that she could decipher, she knew it would be the greatest kindness to humanity to destroy them as soon as possible. They might be helpful in some way, though. Perhaps, to help to know how to treat those who may have been poisoned by other healers, but that was their only possible value that she could see….

Still, it might be a good idea for her at least show them to Green Eyes. It also gave her the thought to write down things on her own. No one would value them, except for her, but Green-Eyes and Golden-Eyes both had told her that she should not fear to carefully pass any knowledge she could to the right people. Perhaps this was a way to do so, given the hours that her ‘mothers’ had spent teaching her letters.

Several manuscripts, and one book, were in languages that she did not know. She was sure that the golden-eyed fairy might, but there was no point to it if the value of the texts therein equaled that of the works she could read.

She had half made up her mind to toss them into the hearth, when she came to the bottom one that was a broader folio than the others, bound in leather, and which contained drawings of people. The drawings were remarkable accomplished, and seemed to match well with the knowledge that she had somehow gained.

She was sure that she would keep this one volume, as it was a remarkable work of art, so accomplished that it might have actually been created by fairy-kind, were it not for the size. Turning the page, she found something even more strange. There was a page that had been drawn into three parts, each containing writing. Only one of the three could she read at all, the others being in odd scripts unknown to her. Written along the margin was yet a fourth script that also looked familiar, but she could not give it any name.

The one third she could partially read was in a mix of Latin and the common tongue, and in that she could only barely decipher a little here and there; but, there where those who could, so that did not cause her pause.

In the center of the page, however, where it was surrounded by the writings, there was the strange symbol drawn, very ornately and with great care, that Syna seemed to feel she recognized…

It was the symbol Aida drew!

“Did you see a house fairy in my hair or something?” Keely asked, at her strange look.

“What?” Syna gasped.

“Is anything wrong, my love. You look as if you’ve seen a ghost dancing on the table. Should I take you to bed?”

“I’m well, Keely. It’s just this… page. I’ve seen it before. I think it may be important.”

Keely came close to looked at it, before shrugging her lack of understanding. “Where did you see that?”

“I don’t remem… I can’t say for sure, but I do think it may be important.”

“How do you know that?”

Syna just shrugged back, causing Keely to sigh.

Syna rose, feeling a little confused, and said. “I do think I need some air. I’ll just go out for a few moments…”

“Taking the book with you?” Keely gestured at it still held in her hands. “To read it in the dark?”

Syna looked back at her helplessly. It was so hard to do this just now.

“I’m going with you.” Keely said, rising from her place beside the fire.

“No, Keely. Please. I need to clear my head. Don’t worry, I won’t be long, or go very far. I’ll just be out in the barn putting these out of the way.” She said, picking up the useless volumes to bring them with her as well.

Keely did not look pleased, but what she had surmised about the strange goings on around them lead her to simply nod her head, and trust that Syna would be safe enough. She could see that Bayford was still about the cottage, which proved to her that there was no danger near.

“Take a light with you.”

Syna gratefully hugged Keely for yet another act of her remarkable faith, and picked up a small lantern before heading out to the barn.

Bayford was indeed there as he drifted from the side of the barn to greet her silently.

Once there, she hung the candle in it’s lantern, and called out softly “Aida?”

It was of no use, she feared. Had Aida been there, she was sure she would have known, but she had to try, as the put the other volumes on a clear shelf beside the bottles and Jars.

“Aida?”

For just a moment, she thought she had been wrong, when a little thing flitted out of the darkness to her, but it was not her Aida. Instead, she recognized the brave little one who always seemed to be around her now. She believed that the blue-eyed fairy had set him to watch over her, but when she had asked the greater fairy, he’d only laughed and said ‘he just loves you.”

The little one again bravely greeted her by touching noses, before hovering there watching her expectantly.

Syna knew the little ones had a limited capacity to speak, but it was even more limited in human terms, with their reliance on the fairy-voice of scents and intuition. It was so hard to get them to understand sometimes, aided only by their willingness to do anything they could for her, even by trial and error.

“I need you to find Aida for me.” Syna said slowly.

The little one’s eyes seemed to grow more dull as it regarded her carefully.

“Copper Eyes.” She said, and with an inspiration, though of her Aida’s smiling face as hard as she could. So hard she began to get a pain behind the middle of her forehead.

It didn’t work, but the little one touched nosed again, in preparation of flying off to find the closest greater fairy he could.

“Wait.” Syna said a little too urgently, causing his eyes to dull again, even as he moved back too her.

“Look!” she said, opening the page, and holding it up to the candle before she remembered that he could see in the dark better than she could see in the daylight.

The little one did look where she pointed, and moved slowly from one spot to another as it turned its head from slide to side occasionally as it stared at the page. It looked up at her twice, before she saw it freeze as it finally saw the symbol from the proper orientation.

“Thank Asho,” She breathed, “for making you so clever little one.”

It looked up at her with shining eyes and nodded.

“Here,” she said, quickly looking around the shelves of jars and bottles. “Ah!” She pointed to a small copper kettle, and then to her eye.

The little one’s eyes glowed in the deepest black obsidian, reflecting any light that found them.

Again it nodded.

“Thank you, little one.” She said earnestly, leaning down slightly to him, offering her nose.

He actually began to buzz as he moved into to accept the kiss, and then with another nod and adoring glance, he streaked through the high window at the rear of the barn.

Syna did not know what to do. Her first impulse was to bring the book inside, but then with another inspiration, she left it open on the edge of the forge hearth, in the light of the candle.

She found Keely sitting on the step of the cabin.

“I thought I heard you whispering. I was worried.” Keely said, softly, clearly worried that even this act may have broken some trust.

“Don’t be. It was a good thing.”

“Are you going to leave the candle in the barn?”

Syna nodded. “It’s in a lantern. I’m sure it’s safe.”

Keely nodded in return, trying not to allow her eyes to drift toward the open barn door, or the horse who had wandered in there to the manger yet again.

“Keely?” Syna asked her, forcing her to look up at her again. “How many times have I told you I love you today?”

Keely finally smiled. “Too many to count.”

Syna bent down to kiss Keely fully on her soft lips, giving her the clear message that she intended to kiss her further still. Keely never needed more than the slightest encouragement, so quickly picked up where Syna had no intention of leaving off.

Catching her breath she managed to ask. “Before we go to bed, would you like to walk with me a little under the stars? We didn’t get to walk today?”

Keely smiled and took her hand, leading her into the small clearing to the south of the cottage. This field was ploughed but unplanted, so they didn’t have to watch their step too closely as long as they stayed to the furrows. Once away from the house she turned to hold Syna, and kiss her fully once more.

Syna melted into her completely, forgetting everything and everyone save Keely.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

         A time later they were looking at the stars when Syna realized Aida was nearby.

“I’m ready for bed. You go and turn down the covers, and stoke the fire, and I’ll be right there.”

Keely was too enamored of the thought of taking Syna to bed in the near term, to be much annoyed by her desire to go to the barn again.

“Time to get the candle?” Keely asked.

“I think so; and, I left that book in there. I want to take it back in. I’ll only be a very little while…, or at most two little whiles.”

Keely sighed. “I’ll wait as long as I can.” She grinned back at the blush that she could feel on Syna’s cheek, but not see.

Aida was there looking at the book. Syna would have thought her eyes were two fireflies in a mating frenzy had the season been spring, and not fall.

“You did, know!” Aida said before looking closely into her eyes, “How could you have…” Aida paused and then smiled. “Oh. You just found it!”

“Yes. Is it important?”

“Yes. Not as important as you, but my sisters will be very pleased.”

“Can you read it?” Syna asked.

“Only the part written in fairy hand, here and here.” Aida indicated the fine scripts written around the margins of the page that Syna had not been able to name.

“It says that some of the texts are wrong and need to be corrected on this part, and on this one…”

Aida looked up at her in what might have been consternation.

“What is it?”

“I don’t understand it,” the little fairy said, her name radiating truth. “I am only sure that I would not have believed a fairy would write such things. I must take this to Asho…”

The little one was back, and breathing very heavily.

“Did you find him?” Aida asked out loud for Syna’s benefit, a habit she had grown into since her pairing with the girl.

The little one nodded.

“The thing is too big for us to carry, so it must be kept here, Syna. You must show this to no one, save for the fairies you know…”

“There are fairies I don’t know?” Syna asked, but was largely ignored.

“Have any seen this, apart from yourself?”

“Keely.”

“She is not the worry. We have seen her heart and mind, and she is a very good girl, Syna. I meant any of the others of your kind.”

“I don’t know. Surely the old healer must have.”

“Did he know its meaning?” She asked in an odd tone that made Syna feel her foreboding.

“I don’t think so, Aida. Keely was telling me earlier that she does not even think that he can read our common tongue as well as I thought, let alone these.” She gestured to the odd scripts. “No. He is no more a scholar than I am. I’m sure he did not know even a small part what it meant. Our eldest found these in his house today, where they have obviously been for many years. The elder is very wise…”

“Very wise.” Aida echoed.

“If he looked at them, he might have been able to understand some of it, but I do not think that even he can read these.”

Aida seemed to be studying the page while ignoring everything else, but spoke to her anyway

“You are more learned than many of your kind who think themselves wise, Syna, because the things that you know are all true. That is a very powerful tool that allows you to judge the truth of other things that are new to you. This will make many who merely think themselves ‘wise’ jealous and fearful of you. It is one of the risks that we forced you to take, because there is no other way. Anything of value has risks, and the greater value often carries the greater risk. You must be very careful with your own kind.”

Aida looked at it the page more closely, and then back at the girl still pondering.

“What is it?” Syna asked her.

The little one paused for just a moment more before she spoke. “We have searched for many years for a hint of this. That this should be here, in the very same place where we found you. It seems… unlikely” The little fairy looked profoundly thoughtful, which was an emotion that Syna had only seen on the oldest fairies.

“If there were only a way to see a person’s fate…” Aida whispered looking at the page again.

This philosophical crisis Aida seemed to be going through was unsettling to Syna. Aida was always merry and affectionate, and never worried about the importance of things other than how they effected Syna’s happiness. She seemed to have changed suddenly, until Syna remembered yet again that fairies, despite their apparent youth, had seen the rise and fall of kingdoms that Syna had never even heard of. So, Syna made the only decision she could, which was to help without fully understanding why.

“I know that the book is too heavy, but can you carry this one page?” She asked the fairy.

“You would do this for me?” She asked, Syna.

“I’d do anything I could for you, Aida. You have given me so many gifts…” She shrugged because she was at a loss to create any phrase that would put a sufficient value to the things she had been given since the night she fled into the forest in helpless despair.

“What was given you, was truly your due. What we’ve received from you, was far more precious than that which was given. It would take far too much time to make you understand what a blessing you have been. It is we who could never do enough. You are the gift, Syna.”

Syna was still so shocked at the little fairies explanation, that Aida had to call her twice more to get her to respond.

“May we remove this page? Does the symbol appear on other leafs in this book?”

“Syna?” Aida asked again, because of the girls inattention.

“What?” Syna started almost as badly as she had at Keely’s ‘house-fairy’ remark. “No. We can look again, but no. I already looked. It’s only on this page.”

“Can you bring the rest of the book to him tomorrow?”

“Yes. I don’t know if Keely will let me go, but I’ll find a way.”

“How?” Aida asked, lifting the single page, and looking behind it to indicate she was not sure how they might acceptably remove it from the book.

“I’ll find a knife, and we’ll just cut…”

The little one moved forward as Aida seemed to be talking to him in the way that only fairies could. He pulled out his little obsidian blade, and pausing with it poised over the inside of the page, he looked up briefly at Syna.

“It’s all right. But cut it over here, as close to the binding as you may.”

The little one nodded, and moved to where she indicated, obviously grasping this task much more easily than he had the last. The little ones were workers after all, and were used to such tasks as watching, fetching, cutting, etc.

Syna was very impressed as the little black blade effortlessly sliced a clean line down the innermost margin of the page, separating the sheet. Syna folded it for Aida, and handed it to her.

After they quickly looked through the remaining pages for other symbols of meaning to Aida, the little fairy just shook her head before flying up to touch noses with Syna.

“I love you.” She said in the human way.

“I love you too.” Syna responded.

“The girl awaits. I sense her.”

“I know. I have to go. She did a remarkable thing for me tonight.”

“My sister predicted this. I must fly. I must bring this to Asho and the eldest, for only they will know what to do. She can read all that is written here. I must fly.”

Syna’s ‘Go’, was accompanied by two very brief flutters near her nose, and then by the folded page sailing out the same high window.

Folding the book closed with a sigh, Syna took the lantern down, and began walked quickly toward the cottage…

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     Syna awoke later than usual, because of Keely.

If the larger young woman had found her distracted at first, it was of little moment, because Keely was . . . steadfast, and even though both girls were still learning ways of love for each other, the love itself was already there in abundance. For Syna especially, even the smallest things were all revelations.

Thus, when Syna had finally slept, she slept very soundly and contentedly cuddled by Keely.

There were flowers in her hair, when she awoke. Yellow, and blue, and white flowers, which caused her to smile when she touched them, and to smile even more as she looked at herself in the mirror. ‘Someone’ was very happy, she thought.

Sounds from the kitchen, and the cool draft at her back, told Syna without looking that Keely was in the great room at the hearth.

A little head bobbed up from the shutter at the window in a movement that would have been too quick to notice, had not Syna already been looking there. It was almost immediately followed by a certain little copper-eyed fairy who flew to Syna and immediately pressed her face to the girl’s.

Syna laughed. “Was this you?” she asked the little one, who nodded her head and smiled up at Syna.

“You were asleep.” The fairy reminded.

“They are very pretty. Thank you Aida.”

From the other room, Keely called. “Did you call me?”

Syna giggled as the little fairy dove to her neck and under her hair.

“Just saying good morning.” Syna called back, and smiled a little more.

“Now that you’re up, finally, I’ve made you something. Dress warm.” Keely said, obviously feeling in a very good humor, which made her love smile even more.

Syna moved to the mirror to brush out her long tresses. She’d tied up her hair before going to bed, which now reached the middle of her back, but that had not lasted very long. The little face beamed at her in the mirror from her shoulder, before floating down to choose a ribbon of suitable color for Syna.

More quietly than before, Syna asked, “Did Golden Eyes read the page?”

The little fairy’s eyes glowed like dewdrops when she looked up to nod at Syna, before turning back to peel away several colors of ribbons from the pile.

“Was it what you were looking for?”

Again the same gesture, followed by Aida tugging out a rust colored ribbon.

Barely above the sound of a breath, “I will have to tell Keely I need to look for herbs, and I’ll…”

Aida was shaking her head, and rose to Syna’s hair, pausing only to lay the ribbon she’d chosen in Syna’s hand, before settling on her shoulder.

“My eldest sister said that we need not carry the book to her. She is sending the watchers with the horse, and he will carry it for them…”

Syna instantly felt foolish. It was obvious once Golden Eyes had suggested the solution. Truly, knowing the book’s value to her little friends, she would have hesitated to send it with Bayford alone but, with Blue Eyes and his companions to help, it would be safe.

Syna frowned causing Aida to pause and watch her.

Syna explained, “I suppose that even if anyone were close, they’d never be able to catch Bayford on all those twisting trails at the head of the valley.”

Aida thought for a moment, and nodded before whispering, “None will draw near. None can move near our end of the valley without our knowing.”

Although she had looked forward to the thought of seeing Asho again, she knew that she should not go near his end of the valley unasked, no matter how welcomed she would be. Even so, she was happy that there was no need to leave Keely for the day it would take her to travel there and back.

Choosing a heavy skirt and vest from her chest, she quickly slipped on fresh clothes and tied them, before moving out to the common room to be greeted by Keely wearing the same silly kind of grin she found her love was wearing…

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          The coolness of the day made the trip an enjoyable one, or else it would, had she not been in a hurry. When Syna had told Keely that she needed to spend some time that day seeing to some of the ‘folk’ around the valley, she had expected an argument. However, true to her very wise nature, Keely had only smiled and nodded.

When she told her that she intended her first stop to be with Chandi, Keely immediately accepted that Syna needed to go alone. Keely had no desire to see her, and it was decided that Keely would meet her in the village where she had some ‘folk’ that she needed to see on her own. Her mother. The Smith. Most importantly, a certain emissary she wanted to speak with privately.

So, Syna packed some of the things into the bag that she used when she was collecting, including the remainder of the book, she took to the path down to the road hand-in-hand with Keely, where they took their leave of each other with an embrace.

The road was rutted from all the wagons that had passed by recently, forcing her to take to the verge in order to avoid some of the puddles that lay in the deeper places. Still, it was a pleasant walk.

Ladd was working his front field along the fence when she turned onto the path that lead to Chandi’s house. He only nodded and at her, and indicated a direction, after which she realized that Chandi and the children were sitting at the margin of the field, about to have their lunch.

“Syna!” Arlen called, and despite Chandi’s grab for him, he dashed to Syna to hug her about the middle, followed quickly by Maleah.

Syna thought she heard their father laughing as she hugged the children, and said hello.

“Did you come to play with us, Syna?” Arlen asked, but his tone held the maturing realization that this was not likely.

“I’m afraid I came to see your mother, and to find out how she was doing, but…”

“Oh, Syna.” Maleah said, pathetically. “You never have time to play any more.”

Syna knelt to hug the girl and finished, “…But! As I tried to tell you, I don’t see any reason why we can’t play a little too.”

It was several moments before Syna and their mother could get them back to the basket of lunch, as they were in no way aided by Ladd, who simply smiled at the children as he moved tiredly to the blanket. The harvest had been bountiful, as always, and many an exhausted man or woman would have behaved the same - at least for a few days more.

“You look well, Chandi.” Syna said, not realizing that it might be taking excessive credit until she said it. The woman still made her nervous. “How do you feel today?”

At first, Chandi did not look up. She finished laying out the food the children had carried from the house and offered it to her husband.

“I’m well enough, Syna.” She looked to see Ladd staring at her before turning her face to Syna finally. “In truth, Syna, I’m doing much better. I truly do thank you. If you would like to see, you can, but the wound is all but healed, and I’m able to move around more every day.”

Syna smiled at the woman, who although she did not return the smile, showed Syna a face that was for the first time she could remember, devoid of a frown. She looked …pretty, Syna thought in surprise, as she knelt down beside Chandi to examine her leg.

“I’m afraid you are going to know about rain quite a bit sooner than the rest of us, Chandi…” Syna smiled to show she regretted the fact.

“For a Farmer’s wife that has it’s uses too, child…, Syna.”

“Momma? Can you make it rain?” Maleah asked, causing Syna and the boys to laugh, as her father explained it to her.

Syna took the time to play several games with the children.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          The Day had grown warmer by the time Syna paused at the road to look thoughtfully both ways. She had intended to walk straight to the village from here, but it seemed silly not to check on her father given that she was so close, even though she had seen him only two days before. So she turned toward the path that lay only a little way up the road and quickly made her way toward her father’s home.

A rustle of leaves made her at first think that some of her little friends might have caught up with her to take the book, and the thought only lasted an instant before she sensed the danger that was upon her, but it was too late. She didn’t even have time to scream before she was grabbed from behind and thrown into the bushes beside the path.

She only managed a short gasp and grunt before a hand was clamped on her mouth. Someone very strong cruelly twisted her arm up behind her, pulling her back into them giving her a first look at one of her attackers.

Bram!

He laughed as she paled in his cousin’s grip, and her eyes grew wide.

To Bram, it was reminiscent of the thrill he’d gotten the day they’d pinned the worthless thing behind the smith’s shed, at least until the old fool had interfered. It was only similar, thought, because she was only similar. She… and this time, there would be no one to hear.

“I told you she’d be along if we waited long enough.” He sneered at her. “Where have you been hiding yourself the last three days, little Syna?”

Syna didn’t scream, but tried to talk to him. If only she could get the filthy hand off her mouth…

The pleasure on his face was followed by a sickening fury as she struggled to speak.

Syna did scream when he raised his hand, but the blow had yet to knock Braun’s hand free, and none save for the cousins heard her.

“Bram. Why?” Syna gasped faintly.

The second blow was no longer necessary, because the first had brought a blackness that was beyond screams, but that one was given for the pure pleasure of it anyway.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

         Syna became aware that her captors were speaking to each other.

“We have to go this way. If someone sees us we are done. Once we are out of the valley, we can use the road, and make our way to someone who’d be interested in her little tricks.”

Syna could see Braun. She was over Bram’s shoulder, which cruelly dug into her middle robbing her of breath as she tried to sob. The feeble effort to lift her head slightly, was all the struggle she cold manage.

“She’s awake.” Braun said.

“Good. She can walk.” Bram said as he dropped on her feet, and held her there when she lost her balance.

“Don’t worry, Syna.” He laughed. “I’ll help you. Wouldn’t want the folks in the city to be disappointed. Once we give them a witch who looks like you to keep them warm now that the nights are cold. I’m sure that the bishop and the magistrate will both be grateful to us. They’ll know we were only doing what we should to rid our home of one of Satan’s evil whores…”

He looked at his cousin and laughed. “They’ll probably even give us gold, for one who looks like her.”

Syna tried to squirm away, but it was no use. His hands were on her now, cruelly twisting and wrenching flesh in all the places he used to make his point…

“Don’t worry though, Syna.” Bram said, continuing to abuse her. “I’m sure you’ll keep the inquisitors warm for many nights before you warm all the good people in the square.”

She couldn’t see his face, but she could hear the sick pleasure in his voice.

Bram gripped her face brutally, forcing her to look at him as he pressed his face closer, his foul breath upon her.

“Too bad that all they’ll get is a filthy used up whore, but then all they’ll know is what they’ll have when you get there. They’ll never have you as I will tonight when you warm my bed.”

Braun started to say something about not having time, but he was too afraid to interrupt Bram.

“I only regret that we already killed your champion last night, so he’ll never get to know.”

Syna felt her stomach turn over, aided by his breath and the way her head swam from the blows, but she could not otherwise move — even her eyes that had fixed themselves on Bram in their horror.

Bram threw her away from him a moment too late, shaking her vomit off his hand.

“I think I hear someone coming on the road.” Braun finally dared, now urgently.

“Through here”, Bram said, grabbing Syna bodily up by her hair, and began to drag her through a hedge and away from the road.

She could hear hoof beats on the road, but they were coming from the south, not from the village.

“Bra…”, she tried to speak, but was still choking on the offal that clogged her throat, which his hand had prevented her from fully expelling.

“Shhhh, Damn you,” Bram growled. “or I’ll snap your neck right here!” he hissed into her ear.

A hand clamped on her face again, as she was dragged over a bush. Her eyes watered as her neck was viciously twisted, robbing her of the little vision she had regained, but she could not help but choke at the foul liquid her body was trying to expel through her nose.

She was bodily carried into the hedge that tore at her clothes and face, causing the grip to strengthen in anger at the additional effort this required.

“It’s a rider.” Braun said, completely without need, since both men could hear the horse hurrying down the road.

“Shut your mouth, you fool, or I’ll do the same…” “Damn!” Bram hissed viciously, as they pushed through the bushes, and he stumbled. “My eye.” He hissed again.

“God damned, thorns, careful…, owfff!” He groaned and jerked her as he thrashed about before he decide to push her through the branches ahead of him, all the while still flailing the branches blindly away from his face with his free hand.

Braun screamed behind them, as a large tan blur virtually exploded into the bushes amongst them.

Syna, who was already through to the other side, and was thrown to one side on her face before she was able to roll over onto her side, still choking and gasping for breath.

Bram’s face around his eye was bleeding in half a dozen places, as he looked at her from his knees, frantically wiping the blood from his eye as he looked about to find the danger.

The scream of challenge from Bayford was unmistakable as he reared and tried to circle around the rising man and drive him away from Syna.

“Bram, it’s ‘Bug Brains’”, Braun grunted in pain, from where he was trying hopelessly to thrust himself backward through the branches of a tree, anything to put some distance between him and the insane animal.

Bayford’s nostrils flared again, and quivered at the odor of the men, and his eyes rolled at the sight of the girl who’d been so kind to him retching helplessly on the ground. He drove toward the larger man, and feinted to his side, trying to drive him away from the girl where he now stood directly over her.

“Bag of bones.” Bram whispered as he stared at the animal that had attacked him. Slowly he removed his belt, and wrapped the tail of the heavy leather around his fist. “You decided to come home now, did you?” he said softly, drawing his knife in his other hand.

Syna tried to grasp him, gasping for him not to hurt the animal, but in truth, it was indistinguishable from her choking.

So intent was he in his hatred of the animal, as he moved forward to swing the belt with the heavy brass ring on its end, that he did not hear the panic in his cousin as he continued to try and force his way along the hedges, having given up trying to get back through them because of shouts now coming down along the road.

Inhaling the odor of blood from the man, and the vomit from Syna, Bayford screamed his anger and stomped his feet as he moved first to one side, and then the other seeking an opening.

“That’s the last mistake you’ll ever make, you nag.”

Bram had never been smart enough to ponder the profound irony that had chosen to speak those words just then. Had he been, he might have realized that the enraged animal he stepped toward was no longer the wretched timid creature that used to cower at his abuse. However, it was of no moment, because no sooner did he step away from the girl and lunge toward the animal, than Bayford met him squarely in his forehead with a huge fore hoof.

None of the other blows that Bayford rained down on Bram’s face mattered. The light had gone from his eyes long before his head hit the ground.

Syna could only stare in confusion at the screaming and kicking horse as it had now move on, and fought desperately to bite or pin a flailing and screaming Braun as he wove around shrubs and trees in an equally desperate bid to get away from the animal now intent on killing him too. It was only Ladd, thrusting violently through the hedge, and his bending down to the stunned girl, that drew the horse away from Braun before the horse succeeded.

Syna was barely conscious enough to wave the horse away, and call to calm him, as he wheeled to charge Ladd. For several moments, she tried to calm him, before she lost consciousness again while Ladd carefully used his back to push them to the other side of the hedge…

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     Syna was laying on the ground, with someone pressing a wet cloth to her face.

“No. Get them away!” Someone said, causing her eyes to open a slit.

Syna tried to blink several times, but because of the blow to the side of her head, the light was too painful. It was several moments before she could see Chandi hobbling along the road as fast as she could on her stick toward them.

Then she was there, and handing something to her husband.

“Easy girl.” Ladd said, as he pressed a colder cloth to her face, wiping the worst of the blood and other things that coated her face, before turning the cloth and tried to cover her eyes.”

“Bra…gh! Branmn!” she tried to scream to Ladd, to warn him.

“Shhhh, child. Shhhhh.” He said softly. “He can’t hurt you any more. I’ve sent for the Elder.”

“K… kame bach…” Syna choked again on the blood in her nose.

“Hush, Syna. Shhhh.” Ladd tried again to get her attention, and to cover her eyes. “He can’t come back from where he’s gone. Lie still, now. Lie still... ”

When Syna again realized where she was, She tried to force herself up against Ladd, which was useless, so she rolled away from him onto her knees instead, which he allowed thinking she would be ill again.

“Don’t try to move.” Chandi told her. “We’ve sent for a cart.”

Syna tried to nod which was a mistake.

“Can you talk.” Ladd asked.

“Y…yeah.” Syna’s answer only proved she could not.

“The other one was Braun?” Ladd asked, causing Syna to nod her head again very carefully.

Ladd rose up beside her, for a moment keeping his hand on her back while he spoke to Chandi. “We’ll have to go after him, as soon as we’ve gotten rid of the other one.”

“Leave him there.” Chandi cursed, angrily. “Witless forsaken fool.”

Syna could hear a snort from the other side of the hedge.

Looking Blearily around, she could see Bayford; calmer now, but still snorting and shaking, and trying to get a look at her. He was much calmer, but he was still in a dangerous.

“Good Boy, Bayfore…” Syna managed, swallowing hard. “Good boy.” She had to fight for breath, but at least she could breath around the burning in her throat and lungs. “Thank you Bayford. I’m not hurt, Bayford. Good boy.” she finished in a harsh croak.

“Do you know that animal?” Ladd asked.

Syna could manage more of a nod now. “Friends.” she said simply.

Syna could sense that Bayford, although far from being at ease, was calmer to hear her voice and to see that these people were caring for her. She sensed Ladd move away toward his wife, allowing her to turn slightly to whisper another cooing noise to the brave animal.

In doing so, she moved some of the leaves under her hands…

Syna blinked hard, to try and clear her vision, which only worked a little. Sticking out from the edge of the leaf, appeared to be a little red thorn…

She recognized a little obsidian knife, even though it was now coated red along its entire length. It was still held in a little hand, who’s arm was also coated red.

With a hand that was shaking so badly that Syna could hardly make it work properly, she gently pulled the leaf aside to find the mangled body of the little one where he had fallen.

That it was dead there was no doubt, as it’s eyes were now a pale lifeless grey. Even while her eyes blurred into blindness, she had instantly seen that the brave little one had had his life crushed from him. He must have… attacked…

Syna gasped in an explosive breath of air as she sobbed in anguish. With wet and wild eyes, she looked around at the people behind her, and then back at the poor little thing that had given his life trying to protect her. She sobbed again, silently, as her trembling hand gently moved several leaves back to their original positions before carefully tenting her fingers over him with a gentleness that came far too late.

Syna’s vision was fading in and out. She began sobbing helplessly, as she looked forlornly about her for what she did not know. It was too late, her heart knew, but some small place in her mind still struggled to seek vainly for any help.

Finally, her weeping eyes fell on them where they sat further inside the hedge. It was Blue Eyes, and his little scouts, she was sure, but the greater fairy’s eyes had almost no color at all. They were grey, matching that of the other little ones who looked somberly back at her.

Blue Eyes lifted his eyes from where the little one lay under her shaking hand to look at her. He made a slow gesture with his hand motioning outward and away, and then his eyes fell back to the little pile of leaves.

“I’m sorry.” Syna wept out loud, pleading for any kind of help. The little one nodded, and looked at her to make the same slow motion for her to move away. He was telling her that they would take care of the brave little one, but Syna did not see, because her head had fallen between her arms as she moaned, “Please no. They killed him.”

“My god. Child!” Someone gasped behind her.

“Chandi, don’t go…”

“Let go of me!”

Hands were drawing Syna up. “He’s dead.” She moaned one last time, weakly, trying to hide her face in her hands.

“Shhh. There, there, child,” Chandi said, as she pulled the weeping girl’s head under her chin. “It’s not your fault, it was theirs. Those bastards from their pig farm deserved worse. You’re safe, now. No one else is going to try and hurt you.” Chandi tried to turn, to draw the girl to turn away from the body on the other side of the hedge, but in the end she needed Ladd to help them both back to the road. It would have been easier if she’d let go of the girl, but she wouldn’t.

“She’s just frightened.” The man said worriedly, as he tried to help them. He heard a sound and looked toward the turn where Mr. Balderdash was now pounding along the road.

“She’ll mend.” Chandi said certainly. “Shhh, little Syna. Shhhh.” She comforted the girl. “She’s much braver than most, Ladd. She just feels things more deeply, I think. Help me get her away from here. All will be well, Child. Did you break anything? You shouldn’t be up. The cart is coming.”

The sight of Syna clutching at Chandi was something of a surprise to Jada. When Dara rounded the corner several minutes later, that poor soul nearly fell off the trap she drove.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

         It was several moments before Jada could speak to her, where she was now being held by Dara.

He was never the less very busy. On his arrival, Bayford, began to whinny and stomp loudly on the other side of the hedge. This, along with the scents of violence that hung in the air, threatened to have Sir. Balderdash attacking anything he perceived might be a threat, which, of course, included the stallion on the other side of the hedge.

Fortunately, Jada was quickly able to calm him once Bayford grew suddenly quiet, and moved away as if he’d been led. Mr. Balderdash still trembled a fearsome anger, and would not stay put, until he had pressed his muzzle to the girl, to have her reassure him. Then he pressed it to all the others present as well, clearly making sure that none held any threat.

Finally, as Jada climbed through the hedge, the big horse followed him to sniff around there as well.

Bayford neighed briefly from across a small clearing, but this only drew a soft snort and a look from Jada’s mount.

Dara was helping Syna into the cart beside where Ladd had seated Chandi, when Jada came back through the hedge, leaving his companion sniffing along its margin. He’d seen all that he needed to, but there were still a few things he needed to hear.

“Syna?” He asked, causing her to turn to him. No sooner had she done so, than she quietly moved to him, closing her eyes and tucking her face into his chest.

“Will you take me to, Keely?” She whispered.

“Yes.” he said, as he kissed the top of her head, causing the others to raise their brows.

For several moments, none moved. Then, finally, Jada eased her back and bent to look at her. The swelling of her face, and the blood at her nose rendered him speechless at first.

“I need you to tell me, Syna. Did they say anything?.”

“Is, Bram dead?”

He sighed and nodded his head.

Syna closed her eyes and pressed into him, causing Dara and Chandi both to rub her back and soothe her. Her voice was clear though, as she began to recount what she could remember with the tone of someone who had learned of the events long ago, instead of having just lived through them.

She was unaware of how the others were watching Jada’s face in fascination while he listened to their plans of raping her, and selling her into torture and eventual immolation at the stake. He understood that they had planned on using that as a lever to cause even more problems for the people of the valley.

Dara wanted to take a step back, like Chandi and Ladd had as they distanced themselves from his mounting anger.

“I see.” was all he said.

“Please, Jada. Don’t kill him. Catch him if you can.” Syna pleaded softly as he stepped back to look at her sadly.

“I have to find him, Syna.”

“I know.”

“Do you want me to take you to Keely now?” He asked.

“Keely is coming with her father.” Dara said softly. “He is taking her to their cottage.”

“Dara can take me. I know you must go, but you have to promise me.”

“If he is unarmed, and if he surrenders, Syna, I won’t.” Jada said flatly.

Syna nodded, and turned away. “Please come, when…you can,” she said, as Chandi wrapped her own shawl around the girl.

“I won’t be long.”

Syna met his eyes for a moment, and nodded very weakly as she was lifted to the trap..

Ladd met his eyes as well, which caused a chill to rise up his spine before he mounted the trap beside Dara, in order to take them all to the small cabin.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

         On the other side of the hedge, Sir Balderdash, came to Jada as soon as he reappeared. He trembled from hind quarters to shoulder as he stomped and snorted softly.

Jada mounted, and rubbing his broad neck, simply whispered to the horse “Find him.”

He knew that his judgment was clouded. He had already made a mistake that was as bad as any that he could remember. He’d been sure that the two were at least intelligent enough to leave and never come back - but he’d been wrong. It was not the type of mistake he could afford make a second time.

As the charger broke into a gallop, Jada reached into his Jacket, to assure his weapon was still safely there. Jada had never been comfortable with taking any man’s life, but he was certain that on the few occasions he’d done so, that he’d had no other choice.

Like now.

The poor stupid fool he was after was armed. He was armed with information that was a dire threat to the woman he loved, and to a people he had come to respect. His was also armed with a wit so feeble that he was unable to grasp that his final chance had already passed. He’d thrown his last hope aside when he’d fled into the wild with his crime on his head, rather than waiting the softer judgment of the elders of his village. They may only have hanged him.

Jada did not look down when his companion slowed to sniff the blood on a bush from the bite that Bayford had given the man. His eyes were already methodically and remorselessly scanning the trees and bushes ahead of them as he slipped the dirk into his hand and held it at the ready.

He made mistakes, but he had never made the same one twice.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     Syna awoke in her own bed, with Keely and Dara over her.

Several hours later, Syna was still trying to convince them that her hurts were not serious. Having been carefully cleaned up by the women, only the swelling to her cheek, and a darkness about her eye remained. In the end, though, it was the arrival of a flushed and out of breath Keene who finally drew the women away from her.

Keely still did not believe her, but Syna pulled her onto the fireside bench beside her and pressed her head where Keely cradled it against her breasts.

Her father arrived just then, with a somber looking Jada on his heeled. Bryan saw the look that passed first from Chandi to the girls in that moment. To everyone’s surprise, Chandi had only nodded with an almost smile, an turned painfully toward the pool by the cliff where Ladd was minding the children.

On seeing her father, Syna rose to hug him as well. “I’m better now.” She said.

His Sigh told her that he’d feared the worst in spite of being told that she had been lucky.

She could not console him, though, because Chandi was now calling her children back through the door. She’d intended to take them home, but with all that they had seen, they needed to speak to Syna as well.

Seeing their frightened faces, Syna knelt to hug them too - firmly. “I’m perfectly fine, you two.”

Maleah spoke worriedly, and asked the question on both children’s minds. “Who will take care of you. The old Healer?”

Syna laughed kindly at the look of fear on her face, which was almost unforgivable. “No, not him. I’ve taught a lots of things to Keely and Dara, and Dara’s been taking care of me since I was a little …”

Syna paused.

“What?” Arlen asked.

“Since she was a little girl.” Dara answered for Syna. “I’ve taken care of most of her bumps and bruises since her mother left us.”

“But I thought she was a…” Maleah was a little confused.

“We made a mistake, Maleah.” Chandi now chimed in. “We didn’t understand when Syna was a little girl, because she was so special, but now that she’s become a young woman, we do.”

Maleah was still a little confused, but she knew that as with so many mysterious things, that the adults did, and that it would be explained in time.

“Is this your new home Syna?” Arlen asked, breaking the silence that followed.

Syna grinned, a little. He was so wonderfully single minded.

“Not just mine. It’s Keely’s home too.”

“Oh, so you won’t be alone here.” Maleah sounded relieved.

“No” Syna said turning to her.

“It really is fun, with the waterfall.” Arlen said, his mind turning to the new wonders he’d seen in Syna’s little corner of the valley.

“Yes, it’s very beautiful here, and you know, I think there is a tree right near the fall, that would be perfect for a tree home.” She said smiling at his grin.

“Keely is very nice too, Syna.” Maleah said, quietly.

Syna smiled again.

“Yes she is, Maleah. Very, very, nice. Especially to me. That’s why I love her so much.”

Both children, answered in unison, “Good.”

“Syna?” The little girl frowned,

“Yes, Maleah?”

“Would you teach me to help people too, like you did Dara and Keely.”

Syna was surprised for a few moments as she looked around the faces of the parents.

“Well…,” she looked at Chandi’s face, to see a small smile there, “if your mother says I may…,” Chandi was ignoring Dara’s stare as she nodded to Syna. “…I would be so very happy to.”

“Me too?” Arlen made sure.

“Yes, Arlen. We’d need you to help us dig out some of the things that grow in the mud especially, but I’m sure you’d be even better at helping than me!”

“Momma said that no one is better than you.” Maleah said, very positive.

“I wouldn’t be too sure.” Syna said, rubbing the girl’s back.

“I’m sorry you were so upset. I need to get some air. Would you two like to go and look at the pool with me again? If your mother can wait for a few moments longer?” Syna said, looking at Chandi, who simply sat down at their small table.

“Yes, please,” Both said, again in unison.

Syna rose painfully but managed to walk steadily enough for her to hold both their hands as she walked out the door, to look for Aida.

Behind her, everyone just stared at the door Syna had left open, and then at Chandi, and then at each other. No one made a noise, except for the Elder. He seemed to actually be pleased, for some reason.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

         Out by the pool, Syna could see Aida sitting close by on a branch, where she watched down at the trio looking down on the rippled surface of the pool.

“And what’s this one?” Arlen asked, holding up a small sprig for Syna identify.

“I don’t think I know that one, Arlen. Perhaps, when you’ve learned a little more, we can try to find out if it has any use at all?”

“Could we do that?” he asked.

“I think we should.” Maleah answered for her

“I’m sure we will.” Syna added.

“Here, have a look at this one.” She showed them.

“Is that a medicine?” the boy asked, taking it from Syna as if it were the most precious thing he’d ever held in his small hand.

Syna laughed. “No, but it is one of the herbs that I put into my soaps to make them smell nice. It reminded me of one of the first things I learned, but it’s kind of a secret.”

The children were all ears at the word ‘secret.’

“You see, the first thing I learned, was that there are living things all around us. All are connected. We need the plants and animals that we eat. They need us to care for them.”

The children nodded.

“The secret is, that he same thing goes on right here in this pool, and in the forest, and in the fields. When the little frogs come out in the spring, they need the little things that grow there to eat…, and then the bugs, and then bigger bugs. The bugs, they eat some of the frogs eggs, and all of them leave things that the little things in the bottom of the pond grow on.”

“What little things?” Arlen asked, looking down in the pond.

Syna sighed.

“Well you can’t really see them, because they are so small, but they are there. You can feel them between your toes when you walk in the water.”

Maleah made a face, but soon enough looked again at Syna in wonder.

“Well, those little things aren’t just in the water, they are everywhere. All have their place, but some can be bad, and make us sick.”

“Really?” Arlen asked.

“Yes. That’s why it’s so important to wash our hands whenever we help someone. If you always wash with soap, then the little things are washed away, and people won’t get sick nearly as often.”

“Is that why you made the soap smell so nice?” Maleah asked, seriously.

Syna was taken by the depth of the question.

“Well, not at first. At first, I just thought they smelled pretty. Later, I found out that if it makes people wash more, that is part of helping too. Teaching people a better way.”

The children just stared.

“Would you two like to hear a little song that I learned?”

Both nodded.

“Our little hands are with us,
No matter where we go,
when we work or play
with others who we know…”

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     The children were smiling and happy only a short time later, when she brought them back in from the chill of the coming evening.

All could see that the walk had done wonders for all three, but none save Syna knew how much it had helped another smaller person, who now waited much more patiently outside.

Chandi and Ladd rose, to take the children to the trap, for Dara to drive them home.

“Sorry, Chandi.” Syna said softly.

“No need, Syna.” Chandi told her. “They needed to be healed too.” She said putting her hand on Syna’s cheek. “I’m the one who is sorry.” Chandi finished, hoping she said it softly enough that only Syna could hear, but that was not the case. Everyone else just acted like they had not heard.

Chandi said, more loudly “You’ve gotten chill, and your eyes are watering….” She shook her head. “I know. Tomorrow, I’ll bring you a cloak that your mother made for me many years ago. I was smaller then, and it’s a shame that I can’t get any use of it. It’s very beautiful. I never knew anyone could sew like your mother. You’ll need a warm cloak for the winter, and I’m sure she’d be pleased for you to have it from me.”

“Thank you, Chandi.” Syna whispered with clear gratitude.

Chandi nodded, and very briefly pressed her cheek to the girl’s, before slowly making her way out to the trap.

Syna wiped her eyes as casually as she could, and moved back toward the fire.

“Grandfather? Are you hungry? You must have missed your lunch? Father?...”

Keene was laughing, and shaking his head at her.

“Keely and Dara have each fed me twice since I arrived here.” he chuckled again as he stepped up to her. “You are quite well?”

She nodded up at him. “A little sore, Grandfather. A little more sad. But I will be well by tomorrow. I’m just very, very, tired suddenly.”

“Well then please…, try to remember to call me ‘Uncle’.”

He stooped slightly, as if to kiss her cheek, but seeing the bruise there, he switched sides, and briefly pressed his own cheek to her temple on the other side.

“Very well, done.” he whispered.

Syna looked up at him for a moment, before she finally nodded almost imperceptibly.

“Well! I think that these two need to rest, and I need a ride home. I’m afraid I’ve worn myself out running up that foolish road one too many times. Jada! Do you think that pachyderm that you ride around on would have any trouble giving an old man a ride down to the village?”

Jada looked at the girls.

“You can, of course come back to say goodbye a little later, but I would be very grateful for a little talk, and poor Bryan is going the other way.”

Jada nodded at the man, and leaned to also kiss Syna’s good cheek before wandering out to pull Mr. Balderdash away from the manger.

“I’m going the other way, Syna.” Her father said softly as he came to hug her too.

“We have to take care of some things. I doubt if Jada will be back before morning, but I’m sure Keene will have him back by then” He hugged her again. “Are you sure you are not hurt? Would you like me to stay.”

Syna shook her head, and hugged him back.

Jada met them at the door as they stepped out to watch everyone go.

“I won’t be back tonight. Keene needs me, and I need to talk to the elders.” he said regretfully.

He paused though. Not for the need to be away, but rather for the way that Syna stiffened almost imperceptibly as he drew near her.

“Syna.” He said quietly, but knew of no way to continue.

“It’s all well, Jada.” Syna said, softening. “I know you had no choice … I just …”

“I am, sorry.” Jada said. “He said he’d come with me, but then he pulled a knife to try and get away. He was frightened I suppose, but I had…”

Syna stopped him by raising her hand slightly from her side. “It would have been much worse if you’d gotten hurt because you were trying to spare him, Jada. I really do understand.

He asked the only question he could “May I still come back?” His face and tone were like a different person than the one she had seen earlier that day, because he was.

“You must.” Syna said. “I’m not cross with you, Jada. It’s just that…, there has been so much pain today.” She stepped toward him putting her hands on his chest, to press her lips to his cheek. “You as well. You go to the Chancellor, and do what you must, and then come back as quickly as you can. I’ll still be waiting. Just don’t go without coming to take your leave.”

“I won’t. Farewell, Syna. You too, Keely. Fare you well until I return.”

“Be careful on the road, Jada.” Keely told him.

“Do you need anything? Money? Anything?”

Both shook their heads, so he kissed Syna’s hand a last time, and then after only a slight hesitation, pressed his cheek to Keely’s before taking his leave with all the others.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          “Come with me.” Syna said finally, after watching them go, and sharing her blanket about Keely’s shoulders as well, she walked her over to the little sandy area by the pool.

Sitting there, she watched the late afternoon sun sparkle on the water, while she sighed in the moisture of the fall and the warmth of the sunlit cliff. She drew her wife down to sit with her.

She sat there for several moments, holding and being held by Keely, before she sat up a little straighter and said “There is someone who wants to meet you.”

Keely stiffened only a little. It was about time.

“Aida?” Syna called very softly.

A moment later, a small form came drifting over the pool, not from the branches above, but from the face of the cliff on the other side. It had six wings that shimmered in the sunlight with many colors, and large copper colored eyes, and after touching it’s nose against Syna’s, it closely inspected her bruised cheek, before settling itself comfortably on Syna’s knee.

“Green Eyes is coming with The Eldest, but they would not come near while people are moving about.” Her eyes looked at Keely as she nodded politely. “But, both will be here soon. Green Eyes is very impatient. ”

Syna nodded. “I want to tell her… how sorry I am, Aida.”

The eyes looked at Keely, and then at Syna. Her head tilted far to one side, and then to the other, causing Keely to giggle, only because she did not yet know what they were talking about, and was so completely enthralled by the little creature, that she did not know she was squeezing all feeling out of Syna’s hand.

Aida looked at Keely, again before speaking to Syna.

“We know this. We are sorry too, because the fault was ours. The little male was very brave, and he loved you very much, Syna. He was not lost needlessly, and any of us would have done the same in his place. We are sad, but we are proud.

My sister said to tell you, that there is no payment that we could…‘bestow’,” Aida nodded as if physically struggling to get out an unfamiliar human word, “that would equal what we have cost you. But, it is the rule of all things, that when something has a great value, it sometimes comes with a terrible cost. That which we must give for the greatest gifts, may be fearsome indeed. The little one knew this lesson well, and still he could not fail to protect you. You are a greater gift than any we could have hoped for, Syna. We know he too was proud.”

“It hurts.” Syna said softly.

Aida nodded her head.

“Did someone else get hurt?” Keely asked quietly, causing them both to nod sadly.

“Keely, this is my friend ‘Aida.’ That’s not really her name, but it’s easier for us.”

“It’s about time.” Keely smiled, still completely enthralled by the creature. “Does this mean that she won’t go zipping out windows anymore when I walk into the room?”

Aida actually grinned as she shook her head ‘no,’ then immediately ‘yes.’

Syna answered for the little fairy, who had looked from Keely to her.

“No. She only did that to make sure how you would react, and to make sure that you would not be too surprised when she introduced herself to you. Their Elder, decided you would have to meet when we were… mated, and we moved here together. It was her idea for aida to leave flowers and things in the morning, and to make sure you caught glimpses. Unless they want to be seen, Keely, we don’t see them.”

Aida chimed in. “My sister knew that Syna would always keep our secret, but that she could never lie to you, Key-lee. That was cruel. This was the only way.”

Keely looked very surprised, and looked back at Syna. “So, she let me see her so I wouldn’t pick up something and try to swat her.”

Aida actually giggled a little, as she looked at Syna before she nodded.

“Have no fear of that, Child,” she said to Keely, before she began to sing.

“Big folk knock, and pound about,
All much louder than a fairy’s shout.

But Shout if you will, they will not hear,
For big folk cannot use their ears.

Nor smell, nor see like fairy kind,
cause big folk might as well be blind.

So fear no big folk you might meet,
a fairy’s wings are fleet.”

Keely looked at Syna, then at Aida, and then at Syna again. “Do they always do that?”

Syna nodded, with a sigh. “All save one, who speaks like we do. I don’t think you’ll meet her, but she is my friend too.”

“Green Eyes does too, and Blue Eyes can.” Aida offered, causing Syna to nod in agreement with the little thing.

“I notice too,” Syna continued, “That you do it less than you used to.”

“We are Joined.” Aida said, feelingly. “I feel you in here.” She touched her breast, “And I hear you in here.” She pointed to her head.

Syna almost froze for a moment as stared at her little friend.

“Aida, did Golden Eyes ever bond with a human, girl?” Syna asked a trifle fearful to hear the answer. For the first time, she was beginning to understand how painful such a pairing must eventually be for one of the fairies.”

“Princess Ayanne.” Aida informed her simply.

Without explanation, Aida suddenly stiffened, and looked to the south, before telling them, “She is coming.”

The tired girl nodded to her again.

Keely nodded too, taking in all that she could. She now took Syna about her shoulders to support her, and finished by saying to Aida, “But, perhaps you don’t understand. I’m not a child, Aida.”

Both of the others laughed at her, for reasons Keely was about to learn.

Aida rhymed very slowly:

“My eyes can see the smallest star,
…”

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     Out on the road, Ladd eased the trap as gently as he could over the ruts, and onto the path to his home. The last of the sunlight was finding its way through the cracks in the west wall of the valley at the end of a long day.

Dara was holding Maleah and playing some little game to keep the child entertained, while Chandi had given in to her pain, and had finally fallen asleep where she sat in the back with Arlen.

For just a moment, far up along the road, he caught sight of a figure striding along toward them through one of the last pools of sunlight on the road. Perhaps it was the odd grace with which the figure moved, a woman Ladd now thought, or perhaps it was the way the red light of the sun blazed on the woman’s hair that made him see something oddly familiar there. Perhaps, it was the fading light, or even his tired eyes along with the tired sun, that seemed to remind him of someone.

A giggle from Maleah reminded him, that he needed to get the children into the warmth of their cottage. He chuckled along with her, where she played a silly old game for the first time with one of their oldest friends. He smiled again as Chandi, who he had thought to be fastly sleeping, lay her hand on his forearm with a little pat. It was a small affection, true, but like many of the things that had happened on this tragic day, it somehow gave him great hope and comfort that all things were as they were meant to be.

And So…

These many years with many tears,
we sing our song of you
Mother of the knowledge,
to give mankind his due

For the steps you walked in darkness
you thought you took alone,
and the strides you took in light.
these too we will atone.

Your pain has been our burden,
as your gift has been one too.
But many more can see the light
Now all because of you.

“Syna’s Song” — Aida

Fin.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 


My very special thanks to Geoff for his invaluable time and advice.

 
 

     -Sarah Lynn Morgan.
     [email protected]

Thank you for reading! If you like this story, Please take a moment to click on the vote
box at the top of the page. Comments are most gratefully welcome, and appreciated!

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

All journeys come to an end

All journeys come to an end eventually, some happily, some not. I'm sad beyond words that this one has ended, yet relieved it ended so well.

I truly do hope Keely and Syna will find more or their travels beind shared here.

You tied up the ends quite nicely, I especially liked how Keely was finally introduced to the fairy's, something i'd been waiting for since the last chapter ;)

Thank you for a tale well told,
Love,
Amber

Well done

Glad to see it posted at last. Not read it through (again :) ) yet because I'm about to go out for a quick bike ride whilst the weather's fine but, rest assured, I will. I'm sure your fans will be delighted with this little Christmas pressie and so they should be.

Keep well and have a good break. You need it.

Geoff

Beautiful Story!

Sarah, you seem to have a knack of exceeding yourself with each and every story you write. You are learning, growing, and expanding your consciousness. Your talent of writing leaves us always with tears. *Well deserved Hug*

Love

 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

Ack, more must read stuff, Sarah, how could you!

So glad your muse, RL and your naughty har drive relented and you finished this.

I will read this ASAP. Oh, I called off the reluctant author hit team, ...

What? You hired them to go after ....?

-- Good thing I'm in the basement --

John in Wauwatosa in an undisclosed location even the Vice President doesn't know about.

John in Wauwatosa

Tears of happiness!

What a wonderful Holiday gift you've given us! This story has from the very beginning touched my heart. It's beauty and touching soul is one that transcend genres and cliche'. I could go on and on about how much I love this but I have to keep stopping to wipe my tears! Sarah you've created something very special here and I thank you for sharing it with us.

Big joyous Hugs!

grover

A pleasant holiday surprise!!!

Thank you for a wonderful story and for giving us a surprise holiday gift!

All the best,

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

The End

Saeah: I was wondering if you were going to post this. It's been a long time in coming. And it's also going to be missed! I hope you will be adding more travels of this pair in the near future. Richard

Richard

No It Can't be the End!!

Sarah,

I had been looking forward to the next installment. Little did I know it was to be the last. Please, Please do an Epilogue - where we hear of the reunion of Mother and daughter, Husband and wife, friend and lover. How Jada, Keely and Syna move forward. Please this is such a great story.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful tale.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

So happy/so sad

I was so happy to find a new part of Syna's tale to read, yet so sad to find it is over.

It was very effective the way you distracted the reader with the scenes of domestic happiness mixed with the intrigue of the mysterious book. It made me quite forget about the evil Bram, so his sudden appearance came as a nasty shock - and the death of the brave, wee fairy made me cry. But Syna's love and care for Bayford brought its reward when he charged in to save her. There is so much here in this fabulous world to enjoy, perhaps we can visit it again one day.

This story is truly a work of love. Thank you so much.

Pleione

Several Flavors Of Wonderful

This installment was just marvelous, and on so many different levels, that I have no idea where to start writing a comment. For anyone who happens to trip over this comment who hasn't read the story, I insist you go find Part I, and start reading. It's an absolute must, in this and a few other genres, too!

The characters are simply wonderful. They've gotten better (more vivid) with every episode as we've come to know them, and as they've grown themselves. The situation is some magical combination of loving, tragic and heroic.

This story universe is magical, too. It's neither an amalgamation nor a distillation of other tales, myths or traditions, but a truly creative and imaginative envisioning of a world where humans and more ancient sentient beings coexist, although with the burden of one having to avoid the other as much as possible.

To imagine that this story could be extended, or that additional stories placed in this valley could be told, is not to say that this wasn't a wonderful story, told to its best advantage.

Many things came together in this installment, and very well at that. We also learned even more about the characters, their resilience and the relevance of this story to our own world, and about love. Or should that be Love? All kinds of Love, familial, romantic, idealized and unconditional.

Love -- this story has it!

Yay!

Syna's back! It's a wonderful chapter!

Wait... I didn't read it yet. I'll do that as soon as I get done downloading stuff over my slooooow connection.

But I won't retract my statement. This has been one of my favorite stories.

Ray

This lovely present for me?

This may have already been said, but I was trying to write a story, and you publish this. I am compelled to drop what I am doing to see what you have done here; knowing full well that it will be lovely.

This is the bestest gift a girl could get! Thanks just loads.

Gwendolyn

Beautiful story

Thank you Sarah for making my Holiday much brighter. This is without a doubt one of my favorite stories ever. I, too, hope there is an epilog or sequel in the future. Your marvelous talent for writing reaches the heart and minds of your readers.

Sincerest wishes for your merriest of Christmases ever.

Merry Christmas, everyone, and thank you.

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone in my BC Family for all the wonderfully generous comments and support. Every time one of you takes a moment to say something nice about one of my silly stories, it just makes my day. If any of you have enjoyed this story at all, I can still safely say that the pleasure was truly mine.

If any are so inclined, you should all thank Geoff too. There are plenty of good editors here, and he may be only one of them, but he’s at least three of them in my book. My construction isn’t the best, and he has been so kind and generous with his precious time to proof anything that I sent to him. He finds all the little things that I just don’t see. It gives me the confidence to be able to post, to know that he has taken the time to look at things for me.

Terrynaut and Sephrena Miller also jumped right in to help too, when it was needed, proving that although their great qualities may still be rare in this world, they are amazingly anything but rare here. Karen J and Aardvark, touchstones worthy of the greatest respects, both proofed other works for me as well, while I trudged through the recreation of this story when it was lost.

Fine folk, all.

I trust you’ll be hearing from me more often over the coming Winter months, because it is often too cold to get anything done up here in Maine, but that has the charm of creating a little needed down time for me. Even so, if you don’t hear as often as I'd like, be assured that I keep all of you in my heart every day. Merry Christmas everyone, Hanukkah, Quanaz, or winter solstice. However you may celebrate the holiday, to me it's always about good friends and family -- which is how I think of all of you.

Love,
Sarah Lynn Morgan

P.S. There are other tales with Syna on the old HD. Never fear. That file was untouched.

The greatest gift

That last P.S. is the greatest gift such few words.

Thank you, and yes, Geoff too, for hours of entertainment already spent and yet to come.

Love,
Amber

"I Have A Dream!"

The other night after I read Chapter 11, which I had somehow missed, I went to bed and dreamed that I had this whole story printed out and bound by a publisher and given to you as a gift.

If I could be there, I would be emotionally beating on your chest while admonishing you to take this work to an agent.

Oh, no one ever listens to me. I think I'll go into the kitchen and throw some dishes!

Gwendolyn

Kindness...

...is the greatest gift to give away, I once read. You Sarah, gave that one to your readers. You let us catch a look, although a much to short one onto the magical world of Syna and Keely. None of my words written, trying to form a comment could ever do you and your story here justice. I was enthralled from the first moment reading Unicorn's Gift and I'm in awe still. I can only say a simple 'Thank you' for taking us onto the journey deeply into a world of romance and emotion, faerie tales and deep and sometimes passionate yet always unconditional love.

Like others already said, I'd also love to read a sequel to the Unicorn's Gift, as there are so many questions to be answered, as I have to admit, I'd miss reading what happens to our kind heroines and noble people in their actions from the valley still with its name unknown.

May I say, you have the rare gift of writing stories so imaginable,so lifelike, I actually started to believe in the existence of the ancient folks again. It wouldn't make me wonder to actually catching a glimpse of the small people hurrying away from the corner of my eye, when wandering through the otherwise untouched woods here.

Maybe... one day we might get our wish... a book from Sarah Lynn Morgan: "The Unicorn's Gift", the start of series of wonderful books of a magic world full of the wonders of life and love.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, Sarah, and merry Christmas to all being of help here.
Also merry christmas too all your readers you left in awe upon your magical creations.

A sincere Thank you from

Saphira

--
>> There is not one truth only out there. <<

--
>> There is not one single truth out there. <<

A beautiful story

With an equally beautiful ending. You have a wonderful gift that is not seen as much today as it was in prior years. Your stories are beyond description and I (and many others) can't wait to see the next one. You are an inspiration and a role model for us all. Happy Belated holidays Sarah, may you be surrounded by love and warmth.

Jayme Ann
The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Dreamy, Wonderful Goodness to the End

terrynaut's picture

I love the feel of this story. From beginning to end, it's always left me in a dreamy, good mood. *sigh*

I think everything resolved nicely so I can add contentment to the list of good feelings I'm left with. :)

My favorite scene has to be the talk Syna gave the two children by the pool with Aida listening from the tree top.

This story seems rather simple on the surface but there's actually a lot of depth to it and a lot to offer readers of all ages.

Thanks so much. I look forward to reading more stories about Syna, Keely, Jada and Aida. What a wonderful love quadrangle. :)

- Terry

Wonderful to the End

Thank you for posting this final episode Sarah. I know the final postings became a real challenge after the cat vs. computer episode. Like several others, I've really enjoyed this series. I hope that the person that Ladd caught a glimpse of on the road at the end was Syna's mother finally allowed to return.

Sarah, happy holidays to you and your family. I hope that you are prosperous in the new year and find the time, desire, and inspiration to write more stories.

Finally I get the time to read Chapter 12

Hello Sarah!! ^___^ ;-D

Thank you very much for the series. It is beautifully written. You covered a wide range of emotions. Of course, you left some mysteries to be uncovered later like with the book. Or that could be the intent. My heart raced when the two idiots came back and tried to carry out their plan of revenge. But then the heart broke when the fairy was found under the leaves.

But you end it with hope on a wing's prayer that everything will be all right. But it does come with a price.

Either way. Thanks again for writing the story. Have a wonderful and Happy New Year. I think a good resolution is for everyone to be less in debt by the end of the year and still employed.

Rachel

Very interesting story

It took me in from about its beginning, and I had to read it to its end. I'm only sad that our glimpse into Syna's life (at least at this point) has ended, almost like being forced to move away to another valley.

The environment you created, while fantastic, still is more than believeable enough. It almost makes me wish I lived in medieval times to enjoy such a simple lifestyle. But then, I don't know what I'd do without all the modern things I got used to. Even my job: videogame tester, is rather unlikely in medieval times.

I'll definitely be looking forward to your next stories. And I'll check your other ones as well.

Hope you always are so inspired.

Little Sara

All Good Things Must Come To An End (sigh)

Hello Sarah,

Although I knew it had to end one day it still breaks my heart to see my favorite friends say goodbye. Let me take a moment to tell you how much I enjoyed no make that loved every chapter and every line of "A Unicorns Gift". A work this special is a rare gift indeed and I was saddened to see it come to an end but hopeful with the way you left it that we will get to visit those magical people again. I called your charactors my friends because of your unique ability to make us care about them so, you breath life into them all great or small and make them sing to us and that my friend is a magic all it's own. I would be remiss if in parting I didn't thank you again for the incredible poems that you use to start every chapter even as a stand alone they are a masterpiece worthy of praise but together with the story they perfectly set the tone for this brillant fable.

Kindest regards,
talonx

Great story.

However, it is so sad that being who and/or what we are also exacts a price for those around us when we have no choice but to transition. It is unfortunate that all great endeavors never succeed without some cost.

Thanks again for a great story. Now, all we need is for seven little men in beards come marching home from the mines and it will be complete ! :).

Kim

A lovely end to a lovely

A lovely end to a lovely story. I can see where Syna, Keely and Jada will become a wonderful family unit. Very nice. It leaves us wanting more. Nicely done.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

As they were meant to be ...

Sarah, Thank you for this wonderful story. You seem to know how to pick me up into your heroine and carry me along with her. It is as if I too have a fairy's ability to know and experience her emotions. This has been thrilling and frightening and wonderous. Wendy Marie

Wendy Marie

I Know This Is Greedy

joannebarbarella's picture

But I want more! Please, Please, Please! Pretty, beautiful, wonderful, talented Sarah Lynn (I can keep the flattery going ad nauseam) smooch, smooch.
While the ending here was lovely and complete in itself, there is clearly room for further development if the author is so inclined.
There's the development of the relationship between Syna, Keely and Jada; the return(?) of Aria; more of the unicorn; the veiled threat from the city with its bigotry and inquisition; the meaning of the ancient healing book, and much, much more.
So here is what I propose. All of you who agree with me should mount a campaign to Persuade Sarah Lynn To Continue The Story. What do you think? Let's hear it!
Joanne

Good On Yer, Ray

joannebarbarella's picture

I'll be in that,
Joanne

Wow. What a beautiful story!

Sarah, sorry it took me so long to read this, but I didn't want to rush. This story is just amazing and beautiful and lovely. You really were inspired, and I hope you're as proud of what you've done as I am of your writing it.

Hugs,

Kaleigh

I re-read this wonderful story again and again.....

and it brings me to happy tears each and every time.

I do hope, my dear Sarah, that you will entrance us further with more tales of Syna.

And I hope, that my own writing may someday be the equal of yours.

Wonderful again and again.

Kate
"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats."

Kate
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." William Gibson

I go back to 2004-5 and remember Sarah needed convincing...

...and encouragement that people would actually not only read her stories, but love them.

I was so happy when she actually began posting her stories here at the BCTS! She honored me with sneak peeks of some of her stories she had written back then before she began posting. She hadn't finished "The Unicorn's Gift" yet, but was more than halfway I believe. Once I read her stuff (Pre-edited) I must have hounded her (Giggle, giggle...) until she was convinced she was not only a good enough writer, but an outstanding writer with a gifted imagination.

Geoff is one of best of the best editors out there and edits for more than a few "Big Names" we all know and love.

Sarah, thank you for joining our community and giving us such wonderful gifts in your writings!

Huggles, Snuggles and Sniggs Sarah
Angel

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

To be honest, Sarah is one

Zoe Taylor's picture

To be honest, Sarah is one of the big reasons I'm able to write now. Her stories, especially Emily, inspired me to find my voice. Not long after, I started blogging, and a year later I've started taking greater and greater interest not just in writing, but in writing exclusively for BCTS.

In a way, she's my reason for still being here :-)

We love you Sarah! :-D

~Zoe

* * *

"Zoe, you are definitely the Queen of Sweetness with these Robin stories!"
~ Tychonaut

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Zoe Taylor, and just think on this...

...another reader and maybe future author is now reading your works and when they reach out to you?

Yupper, see how it happens? It could just take a little encouragement you gave them and presto! Another talented author is born!

Huggles Zoe
Angel

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

Lovely Story

Thank you for sharing this lovely story, it's quite touching, of course i've always been fond of fairies.

The verses at the beginning of each chapter are a wonderful addition, and quite beautiful themselves.


Vita est brevis. Occupo quis tripudium vos reperio.
-Life is short. Seize what joy you find.



Vita est brevis. Occupo quis tripudium vos reperio.
-Life is short. Seize what joy you find.

Wow.

I can't say much more than that. This is a beautiful and loving fantasy and is really one of those 'feel good' stoies. Well done. Very well done.

I loved the fairies, by the way.

Maggie

OMG Syna, you have really written this well.

There is a lot that was covered by this chapter. Moving in to the cabin with Keely, and the almost rape and abduction of Syna, and Bayford stomping the life out of Bram, and Jada taking Braun's in self defense of his person. But what has happened to the book? Did Jada find it and that is why he must see the elders? Does Jada know of the faeries and the ancient one called Asho? And then there is Chandi who finally has come to accept Syna, and then Syna telling Arlen that the tree by the water fall is fitting for a tree house. After watching Syna with Arlen and Maleah out by the pool and the edge of the cliff, I think this was the best game that they had played with Syna, yet.

The faery songs in this story were magnificent and written very well, perfect even. I am happy that the two troublemakers can no longer make trouble for Syna, or anyone else in the village. But, the worst punishment they could receive though, would have been banishment from the valley. But, they had to be hateful, and think they were the strongest thing since the smell of bodily gas. LOL.

The dialogue in this story was down to earth, the plot and sub plots were intertwined with each other, the setting was realistic, and the emotions of the characters, real. The images that are in this story are some of the best I have ever seen. Yes, little Syna, I have seen everything you have written here, because your descriptions were like a portrait on an artist's easel. When the reader can see what you are trying to portray in your story, then you know you have done your job well. This story had conflict, empathy, love, sympathy, hate, life, death, inner struggle; all the elements of a great story. You put these elements in their proper place, and that my dear Syna, takes great talent. Thank you for sharing this wonderful coming of age, self-discovery story with us. :-)

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Beautiful story

Wow, what a beautiful story... I loved reading the story, and I have to say you really handled the story admirably. I feared the end would be "too" beautiful, but then you added the nessecary tragedy.

The only thing I might critisize is that Syna was too much the chosen one. She's the fairy princess and too good a person to be true.

In the end you wrote an awesome story.

Thank you very much for writing,
Beyogi

All hail Princess Sarah of the Kingdom of Delight!!!

Ole Ulfson's picture

Princess of the Realm, Wielder of the Flaming Pen of Sweetness, and Hater's Bane! All Hail!!!

Wow!

Sarah, you know I read this story last because I thought I'd enjoy it least.
I usually like my TG fiction, like my Bourbon, straight up (realistic). Somehow I forgot you're not the usual author and there's nothing usual about your fiction.

Though I make my living with words, I can't think of enough superlatives to describe the story of Syna. A reader would have to be dead not to respond to this story with tears of joy and sadness, chuckles, chortles, guffaws, pride and overwhelming awe.

Though I've loved everything you've written, this just may be the best.

NOTE TO OTHER READERS: Even if you think you don't like fantasy, read at least a few chapters. It's like candy for the soul!

Nothing left to say but "Bless you, Sarah for all the joy!"

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Suffice it to say, Ole.

There are so many nice people around here, and comments like yours
are all the proof of that anyone could need. I'm very fortunate that
so much of that kindness has been directed at me through comments.

I won't say that you are too kind, because it's already obvious that
you are, but I will say that the thoughtfulness of the comments you've
made have simply taken my breath away.

Thank you, Ole... Beyogi, Barbara, Maggie, Hanna, Angle, Zoe... All of
you. I'm very thankful, humbled, and... inspired.

Sarah Lynn

Ole was Right! This was remarkable!

Maren Sorensen's picture

Sarah Lynn,

I usually eschew anything that even hints at magic or fantasy but this is one of the best stories I have read on any site in any genre. Thank you for all the reading pleasure. I hope there will be more.

Thanks,

Maren

Wow.

That was a wonderfull story. I love the characters and the threads you have woven around them. Thanks for sharing it with us. Cheers from New Zealand.

The Unicorn's Gift

A myth is not as one might think, but wisdom greater than we can understand when confined to reality as we have previously conceive.
Read the Unicorn;s Gift 1-12, hopefully one will see more light than one's eyes can behold. Believe it not, then read it again as it will show you a glimpse of that which you did not see. Sarah Lynn's story pushes at the boundaries of reality, the health and joy is in choosing to define things more broadly or choosing to be where we are. Wrestling and intentionally deciding or journeying is where health and joy is experienced.

I receive hugs again and again in each chapter.

JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Beautiful Story

BarbieLee's picture

Ms Morgan has a unique ability to write stories so the reader becomes a part of it as if they themselves either willingly or unwillingly join the characters. I smiled as I skipped across the few pronoun errors and name mistakes. Ms. Morgan was putting ink to paper as she also was there in her own telling of this wonderful tale. The little mistakes are the mark of great writers trapped in their own web as it is spun.

So many little bits of wonderful one liners in every single story Ms. Morgan writes, I wonder at what kind of life this woman has led as she adds them to her tales. Such as... "I had never seen a sight so lovely, Syna, and since that very day, you have compounded my damnation by becoming even more beautiful with each and every sunrise, and twice again at sunset.”

Ms. Morgan ended the story without a final end leaving the final chapter up to the reader. Did evil invade the gilded valley, or did Jada and Syna embrace their love, or...? The reader can add their own chapter in whatever way their emotions dictate. Wickedly evil of Ms. Morgan to leave us suspended and yet the gift of great story tellers since the beginning of time. We readers mull over the story for weeks as we try and surmise what the outcome was.

always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

8 years after the fact!

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I read this story, nearly non stop with my free-time. Luckily it was 8 years after the fact, so I got to read it straight through. There are way too many comments to read through.... I was enthralled from the moment Jada came onto the scene. With little typo's here and there, they were seldom as far as the length of the story, so very easily over looked. The only disappointment was the abrupt ending after the kidnapping attempt... just a bit more... like an explained time lapse to allow Aria a chance to heal up now that the fairies found who they were looking for would have been a Great Great way to end, giving Chandi and Syna's parents a told reunion! Not that we'd mind reading a bit more between Aida and Keely either :)

Either way loved it, was completely engrossed!

You Did It Again...

RobertaME's picture

Sarah, you are insidious! I was trying to take my time through your stories, this being the last one of yours I had yet to read. I found myself so captivated by the unfolding events that I burned through all 12 chapters in one day! (my houseguests couldn't come and the oil change was finished in record time) I never read high fantasy. It just doesn't appeal to me. Ever. Regardless of story tags or the presence of mythical creatures, this isn't fantasy... it's Science Fiction at its finest in that it's an exploration of the human condition.

I have previously compared your storytelling to Robert Heinlein and this story fits the mold to a T. Heinlein wrote stories designed to make the reader think about and question the subject. The Unicorn's Gift examines the questions of gender, love, monogamy, compassion, cruelty, and most interestingly, 'nature vs free will'. (whether it was intentional or not)

The entire exchange between Syna and Aida about whether or not Keely had a choice in loving Syna points out the argument of free will almost explicitly and tentatively concludes that she did have a choice, regardless of her orientation and their relationship. Meanwhile, the behavior of Bram and Braun, in stark contrast with the rest of the valley's inhabitants, seem to be irredeemably cruel and evil regardless of threats, punishment, or any attempts to dissuade them from their course... which would seem to be an argument against free will... they were evil because that is what they were and no amount of argument or persuasion would deter them from their nature. (the Scorpion and the Frog)

These coupled with compelling plotlines and fully developed characters combine to make your stories not only good reading but top-notch storytelling and (dare I say it) great literature. I easy put you just below The Grandmaster himself in ability to craft intellectual fiction. (and far above your contemporaries) I only wish I could buy these stories to in some way give back to such a worthy author.

Now I need to go cry for a while because there is nothing more of yours to read! (right after I go take a cold shower after those scenes with Syna and Keely... forget Jada... I never liked him... too much of a swaggering, self-aggrandizing, 'white Knight' to be likable for me... hated him from the very first... but Syna and Keely? WOW!)

End of book 1?

Glenda98's picture

This is too good to finish here forever, the characters live for we who read it. Who knows what will befall them without a guiding hand to show them the way? We look forward to the second book. No pressure Sarah!

Glenda Ericsson

I'm heartbroken

that this one has come to an end, it is my favorite of yours, and that is saying something. I do hope that someday life settles down enough that you can write the next book in here and I would really love to see this one published in dead trees format or Kindle.