Reluctant Bridesmaid - 08 of 10

Printer-friendly version

The Reluctant Bridesmaid©

By: Annette MacGregor

This story is based on a dream I've had off and on for a LONG time. To the best of my knowledge, the characters and events depicted in this story are fictional. Any resemblance to actual people or events is purely coincidental.


Part 8

"Yes, and as Reverend Willie said, you will make a striking matron of honor tomorrow."

"JIM!" Carol squealed as she turned and hugged him. I could see the confused looks on most of the others' faces, but didn't plan to eliminate their questions. Had anyone been looking at me, I suspect they'd have been more confused by my relieved expression.

"I guess she loves the guy. What do you think?" I could joke a little again. I tried to show my gratitude in my eyes, but he was mostly taking care of Carol.

The trip back to the hotel was quiet. I'm not sure why Karen and Samantha didn't ask questions, but it could go back to the embarrassment over lunch. And, despite coming out to Jim and Reverend Willie this evening, I wasn't ready to go any further, at least not without talking to Shelly for a long time first. I know I'd, more or less, admitted things at lunch, but that didn't mean I was really ready to tell all, as it were, to everyone.

When they invited us to have a drink before going up to our rooms, Shelly and I demurred. Once back in our room, I began turning myself back into Steve, but was stopped by Shelly.

"No, Stevie. We need to stop and talk a bit." She told me about her conversation with Jim, and then that Reverend Willie happened by as she was raising her voice.

"You were?"

"I'm afraid so. I was losing my temper with him. I know I don't really understand your need to be Stevie, but he had no right to be blaming you for pulling the trick on him, or depriving Carol of your influence."

"Whoa, honey, he's the one marrying her. As gracious as you've been all these years, letting me help her, I can't imagine it needing to happen much more. You wait and see. She'll settle down a LOT, once she's married."

"I'll believe it when I see it, but, if anyone knows, I guess you do."

"Thank you for defending me, honey."

"I've been thinking about what Reverend Willie said. He said much the same when he talked with Jim and me." She paused a minute. "You know, he didn't even have to use the excuse that he was looking for the men's room this time."

I laughed a little. "How did he explain it?"

"Would you believe, he said he was called?" At my incredulous look, "He actually said that, but he also said he heard my voice down the hall."

I looked even more incredulous then. "You were THAT loud?"

She looked a little sheepish. "I'm afraid so."

"Thank you, honey. For me, and even more, for Carol."

"Don't thank me, Jim decided on his own, after I left him with Reverend Willie. You know, that old man is very wise."

I nodded. "I've gotten that impression."

"Are you still going to let Carol borrow your mother's pearls?"

"Unless you want to wear them..." I started. "But, if you do, I have a backup plan that will work as well."

"No, I'm afraid the pearls would not work with my outfit."

"You're still not going to show me, are you?"

She shook her head. "I want to surprise you."

I looked at her. "It's not a tux, is it?"

She laughed. "I'll go that far, and tell you no, it's not a tux. But I'll say no more."

"I get the hint, but, I'll be looking for you tomorrow."

"Good." She replied. "What was your alternate?"

"I was going to give her one of my handkerchiefs, yes, a clean one."

"I didn't even know you brought one."

"Yes, I did."

She shook her head. "You really do want to be a bridesmaid, don't you?"

"To be honest, it IS something I've dreamed of for a LONG time. I really never thought it would ever happen. Thank you for letting me have this dream. When we get back, I'll be the best husband I can."

"I know. But, on that topic; I wasn't sure if I was going to do this or not, but after all the discussions, I think I should." She got up, and went over to her dresser and got out a package and brought it to me.

"I think you should open this tonight."

With some trepidation, I opened the package. I assumed she was re-using the packaging, but couldn't believe my eyes.

"I think you need to be Stevie from now, until we go home."

I thought the nightgown was beautiful. "Are you sure?"

"I wasn't sure–until tonight–but, yes, I am, I am now."

"I don't know what to say."

"Thank you is normal, when you receive a gift."

"THANK you. I love you, Shelly."

She nodded. "And, tomorrow, at the salon, let them do your brows and actually cut the hair. The brows will grow back, and you can cut the hair again when we get home, if needed."

"If you're sure?"

She nodded. "The others will probably be, and you should too."

We had a quiet evening and were asleep within an hour.

Waking up entwined with Shelly was a delight, but unfortunately, I had to go. After carefully extracting myself, I made it and did what was needed. Waking up like that was a pleasant surprise–and totally unexpected–after going to sleep on opposite sides of the bed.

I padded back into the room and carefully got back into bed. The alarm wasn't set to go off for at least another hour. I lay there thinking about all that had happened over the past twenty-four hours. What a busy day and today was likely to be just as busy. At least I didn't have to worry about getting the gown TO the church.

At first, I didn't notice it, but Shelly had moved over and snuggled up again. It was the first time on the trip! We'd gotten back into snuggling before the fitting, but that had stopped again once I got home. I remained quiet and just enjoyed our closeness. I wasn't sure what had happened, but I didn't want to disturb the moment.

I guess I must have drifted off to sleep again, because I awoke to the alarm. We were still cuddled together.

I yawned, and she whispered into my ear, "Wake up, sleepy head. You've got a busy day today."

She was still snuggled up next to me. "I love you, you know."

"Yes, silly. You don't think I'd do this with anyone else, do you?"

I must have squeezed tighter or something, because her next question showed she recognized my fear. "You too? Why?"

"Honey, I don't know that I can ever be the man you want."

"Oh, Steve, I married YOU, not some jock. We have issues right now, and I know I'm having difficulty with some of them. But, we pledged for better or for worse, and I meant it. We'll work something out."

"Wait, did you say you DO, or you TOO?"

"I'm sorry. I said 'too'. I keep worrying that you'll want a boyfriend, if you're a girl."

"Shelly, I've not changed who I was. My taste in who I like certainly hasn't." I tried to joke a little. "I really don't see what you see in some of those guys." I knew I was joking, but I also worried about that.

She looked at me a little funny. "You've certainly shown that, this week." Then, she showed me that she was willing to joke about it a little as well. "I guess that means I get all the guys."

I nodded, "As long as I can look at the girls."

"Look, but don't touch."

As soon as we were out of bed she checked my ears. "I think you can wear the earrings, if you are very careful."

"Maybe I can ask one of the other girls to help after we get dressed."

"That would be a good idea."

We finished getting ready, and went down to breakfast. Karen and Samantha were arriving at the same time we were, so we took a table for four.

"Some party last night."

"Yes it was," I agreed

"Was there something going on last night?" asked Samantha.

I looked at Shelly, and she replied, "Besides the party? I don't think so."

"Okay, wasn't sure, 'cause first Stevie, Jim and Carol arrive late, then you and Stevie left, and came back with Reverend Willie–he's such a funny guy–then Shelly and Jim went off, and they came back with Reverend Willie, then you seemed reluctant to say good bye to Carol and ... Ouch!"

"It's okay, Karen. It was you that kicked her, wasn't it?" I was a little amazed that she'd gotten all that out in one breath.

She nodded.

"It's just that Carol never told Jim anything about me, but he knew she'd invited her friend from college." I could see light dawning in their eyes. "We were working that out last night."

There was a brief pause then, while I got my cup of decaf Earl Gray, and they all got their coffees.

"By the way, Karen, would you and Samantha mind doing Stevie a favor?"

"We'd be glad to."

"I'll need help putting in the earrings that Carol gave as a gift. You got pairs too, didn't you?" It suddenly occurred to me that the gifts might have been different.

They both laughed. "You mean those nice garnet danglies?" Samantha replied.

I nodded. "We'd be glad to, but what's the problem?"

I looked at Shelly, who only smiled at me. "I just got my ears pierced a few weeks ago."

"You've never had them pierced before?"

I shook my head. "And they looked horrible on the pierced to clip converters. I was just going to just forget to bring them, but this works better; only, I've never put earrings in myself before."

"They should be healed enough." Shelly contributed, "as long as you're careful."

"We'd be glad to help."

So that took care of that. The rest of breakfast was peaceful. No further difficult questions were asked. I know I was thankful, and suspect that Shelly was too. Returning to our rooms, I made arrangements to take a cab to the salon with Karen and Samantha.

"Sorry to have to be leaving you again, honey."

"You'll have a wonderful time. I'll be pampering myself in the hotel salon after a nice soak and bubble bath."

"Do I get to see your dress yet?"

"Nope, but you will today. Give me a hug, and get going."

I hugged her. She was so wonderful. Then, I grabbed my purse and made sure my earrings were there.

"Stevie, let them do what they need with the hair and eyebrows. They're only temporary changes, and you'll look better for the wedding."

I recalled the pain from the minor shaping that had been done, and winced. "Thanks, I think. No, really, that should make the day easier. What they'll do with my hair, I dunno though."

"At the simplest, they'll put some curls in, though it could be an up do or even include some trimming and layering. It will grow back out so you can donate it. Oh, honey, don't worry. Just go and enjoy yourself. I'll see you at the wedding later."

I hugged her again "I love you, honey."

"You too. Now get going."

I laughed, and headed down to meet the others.

The trip to the salon was quiet. We just talked about the wedding, and they asked if Carol had really not told me about the matron of honor bit until the rehearsal. I assured them that this was the case, and we all laughed.

Arriving at the salon, we saw that Carol, Shelly and Louise were there.

"Stevie, you're here! Hi Karen and Samantha. Let's go in and talk to Alberto. The others will be here soon."

I hoped the others didn't mind Carol's greeting. It was kind of obvious, even though Karen was in front of me. "What are we doing today?"

"Alberto said he has plans, but he wants to see us all before he does his magic."

I laughed.

"Buongiorno, signora. Welcome to my modest salone."

"Alberto. These are my friends."

"Naturalmente, Of course they are. We do wonderful creations for your beautiful wedding."

"You'll be there to put in the hair piece?"

"Certamente! I would have this done by none other. I also fix anything messed by the wind. All are here, no?"

"Two more," Stacy responded.

"Capisco. We get started on other than the hair then. Come my assistants will start."

We moved on following the funny Italian out of the reception area into the salon proper. He seemed to be looking us all over. He said something about Louise being a challenge.

Then, apparently, the other two arrived because Alberto, who was looking toward the door said, "Ah, the others have arrived. Now we can begin."

He had us all in seats, where we could see each other, but the mirrors were covered, so we could not see what was being done. He spent time with each of us, and talked to the assistant that would be doing some of the work.

"Hmmm. You are a challenge my dear. Have you never done anything with your hair?"

"Not really."

"Such a crime. You have such lovely soft hair. It is so good for your complexion, but the style, it is all wrong. We must fix your style. Yes. Something that hangs forward and lets you peek through. Not too much though. And your brows, we must do something with them, if you allow. They are neat, but the shape does nothing for you. Such lovely lashes, and dark brown eyes. Yes, we can work with this. You will be beautiful when we are done."

As I'd heard him go through a similar litany with Louise and Stacy, I wasn't too surprised. I would be surprised if he was able to bring off the beautiful though.

As for the results, all of the girls were truly amazed at the results. I was constantly reminding myself to not push the bangs out of the way. How I was going to hide the do when we got home, I didn't know. The layering and various lengths going down the sides and the large curls. I couldn't believe the difference.

I wasn't happy with the process, but he was right that shaping my brows made a big difference. But, it would be no easier to deal with that either. Hmmm. Maybe I can ask Shelly to bet me something that I can lose. Then, I can shave them all the way off and claim that was what I lost in the bet.

The makeup came next, and they did something to my eyes, they didn't really look heavily made up, but they seemed to draw the eyes. The nails were no longer than I'd gotten before, but the design was much more. They put what looked like little garnets on a rose satin pearlescent background. That would good with the gowns.

Finally we were all done. What he'd done for Carol was nothing less than amazing. It looked like a simple ponytail, but it wasn't. Stacy had questioned it, but Alberto had said 'No, this is perfect for your sister. The simplicity will shine through like a torch. You will see.'

"We will go now, ladies. I understand that Carol has arranged for the limos to pick you up. Have no fear. I will be there to fix any accidents." He bubbled on, as we headed out to the limos. There were two of them. Carol, Stacy and I got into the front (smaller) one, and the other five got into the larger of the two.

"Stevie, did you bring the earrings?" asked Stacy.

"Yes, Karen and Samantha volunteered to help me put them in."

"What?"

"I only got my ears pierced a few weeks ago, and don't really know how."

"I forgot. I'm sorry, Stevie," she put her hand to her mouth. "What did Shelly say?"

"It's okay, Carol. Believe it or not, it was her idea?"

They were both surprised at this, so I had to tell the story about my helping Hope get her earrings. Both of them couldn't get over how understanding Shelly was.

"She's wonderful."

"What will happen, after the wedding, Stevie?"

--- Continued


Author's Note: I want to thank all my alpha and beta readers for their thoughts and encouragement. I espacially want to thank my three editors/proofers whithout who's help, this would be a much worse story. Any problems remaining are mine. The story is complete, and will be posted in ten parts.

up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sigh

Simply wonderful. I really liked this installment. Well done.

----------------------------
May the Stars light your path.
Joy

Shelly and Jim

terrynaut's picture

I don't know what happened with Jim and I don't want to know. It's just lucky for him that he's letting Stevie stay in the wedding. :p

Shelly sounds so understanding, just like my girlfriend. It's so nice when that happens. :)

I like this chapter better than the last one. Things seem to be progressing nicely. I don't understand the fuss with the earrings though. Sadly, I've never had my ears pierced, but only because I'm a wimpy chicken about it. Heh.

Thanks and please keep posting.

- Terry

the nightgown...

kristina l s's picture

... is a nice gesture, good one Shelly. I hope that holds the tone for these two, only a couple to go after all. Like the Rev too, he's one good guy. But, well just... the earrings, I mean two weeks, yeah okay a pinch tender still maybe. But... "I don't know how'... um, come on Stevie. See there's this bit, hook or pin that goes through this little hole in the old ear lobe and either dangles or attaches somehow. I suspect most people, unreconstructed males or otherwise, could get that. Sorry, but that bit bugged me. Otherwise, just lovely.

Kristina